A House in Disarray - Cover

A House in Disarray

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

14: A Small Event

At every moment of our lives,
we all have one foot in a fairy tale
and the other in the abyss.

Paulo Coelho

Amanda pulled to the curb in a beat-up, older model Nissan, and lowered the window. “Hop in.”

Em tossed her small bag in the back seat and jumped in. She was used to getting up and moving, rather than primping and preening, so she’d only brought the bare minimum. “Wonderful car. Couldn’t bring the Beemer?”

Amanda laughed as she pulled into traffic. “Nah, it’s in the shop.”

She turned the music up, so Em assumed they wouldn’t talk much. Amanda also didn’t seem dressed for a long drive, wearing a rain coat with the collar turned up and a large floppy hat, but Em wasn’t about to point out any fashion faux pas. She made enough of them herself.

They drove a while, and Amanda kept glancing at her, as if expecting something. She removed her hat after a while, and when the song ended, she fidgeted with the radio, a satellite system probably worth more than the car itself, and punched in a pre-programmed song. It was a pleasant song and Em nodded her head with the tune. Amanda giggled.

“What?”

“Nothin’,” she answered as they continued. Several blocks later, she turned to study Em again. “You’re not into music, are you?”

Em shook her head. “No. I appreciate it, but you can’t walk around the city wearing earphones while on the job. I never got in the habit. When I’m at home, I spent time with my friends. One of them usually picks the music, or I’ll learn what someone likes and queue up their favorite albums.”

“So you don’t listen to the radio?”

Em shrugged. “It’s not like I can avoid it. You hear music wherever you go, but I’m not real particular.”

Amanda shook her head, laughing. “So you’ve never heard this before?”

“No. It’s familiar.” Em tapped her fingers on her thigh. “It’s enjoyable. They play it all the time. I hear it in cabs, restaurants, even on people’s earphones. It’s popular. I like it.”

Amanda shook her head but didn’t say anything. When the song ended, she punched in another song. The previous song was a pop number, the first a jazz tune, but this was a fast rap. What Em thought of as ‘white-girl rap’, where someone tries to sound like a black gangster. A wanna-be female gangster.

Amanda studied her again, rolling her eyes. “And you have no idea who sings this?”

Em considered it, searching her memory for the name of the tune before shrugging. “Nah. I recognize it. It’s in the top ten or something. Should I recognize it?”

“Do you even know whether these numbers are by different artists? I mean, did we listen to songs by two or three separate performers?”

Em cocked her head. “Your satellite system doesn’t display which melody is playing.” She shrugged. “I know they’re all chicks. This sounds like something Susanna or Becky would appreciate.”

Amanda shook her head. “You’re something else. Everyone else could rattle off the names of each song. You nod along, keeping time, but have no clue who’s singing or what’s being sung.”

“Sorry. I realize music is important to you, but I spend all day responding to dispatcher calls. When I head home, I power walk for the exercise, but I like to be aware of what’s around me. I’ve made a few collars during my off hours, so I don’t like being distracted.”

Amanda giggled. “Ever arrest someone for listening to the wrong song?”

Em laughed, too. “Nope. Some of the misogynistic rap bugs me for the messages they convey, but otherwise I don’t worry about what other people enjoy.”

“You’re too much. So what do you listen to? Frank Sinatra?”

“No, he was long before my time. Even my parents weren’t into him. They were into eighties pop. I listen to a little of everything.”

“So you’re not terribly discerning?”

“Well, there’s a lot I don’t like, but these are pleasant tunes. I take it I should be familiar with them.” Em hesitated. “This isn’t like Lilith Fair is it? Lesbian singers I should be supporting?”

“No, no. Well, a few of them may be. I’ll tell you what. Since I keep up on music, I’ll get you a collection of these tunes so you can listen when you can pay attention. I figure your friends will like them. This one was three times platinum. It was on the Billboard Top Ten for twenty-seven weeks.”

“I guess I should know it then.”

“I’ll tell you what, rather than giving you the albums, I’ll give them to Lucy and have her distribute them to your girlfriends. That’s the only way you’ll listen to them.”

Em realized she was missing something. Amanda was trying to say something without saying it, but she paused, glancing as they approached an exit ramp. “This doesn’t lead to the George Washington. This is the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge. I thought we were driving to another state, not visiting Long Island.”

“Well, the ceremony is in another state, but we can get there from here.”

Em watched as they entered the bridge. Amanda was acting strangely. She didn’t seem talkative. If she was a suspect, Em would push because it was clear she was hiding something, but you can’t interrogate friends. “Well, you missed the turnoff for Connecticut and New England. You’ll have trouble reaching any other states unless you’re heading for the Long Island Ferry. This is the Grand Central Parkway.”

Amanda gave Em a nervous glance. “We’re actually heading for LaGuardia.”

Em snapped her head around. “Where the hell are we going? I thought we were driving to a nearby family wedding.”

Amanda shook her head. “No, it’s a music industry event. An agent wanted me to show up so ... people can learn who I am.” She bit her lip. “A producer agreed to fly us out.”

“Have you thought this out? A producer flying you somewhere on his dime? You sure you’re not being flown to Saudi Arabia, where you’ll be sold to some sheik? What’re they expecting in exchange for this largesse?”

“Don’t worry; they’re hoping to promote me. They ... like my music. This is a major event, but they want me to show up with someone, and I want someone who could ... cover my back. You’re skeptical enough, you’re always watching for someone trying to pull something.”

“So you want me to provide security?”

“No. You’re here for support. I want you there because I trust you. You’ll keep me relaxed in a stressful environment, and keep me grounded. Anytime someone tells me I’m the greatest singer since Taylor Swift, you can elbow me and keep my feet firmly on the ground.”

“This is a big deal, isn’t it? Why didn’t you explain what it was about?”

Amanda shrugged. “I’m not sure. I was nervous. This is a whole different world for me. It’s not like the Upper East Side. I’m a Brooklyn girl. Manhattan is even a stretch for me. I’m uncomfortable around glitz and glamour, and I wanted someone I can relate to. I don’t trust any of these music producers.”

“Yet you’ll jump on a plane, all expenses paid, and let them put you up for the night?” Em glanced out the window as if to see where they were heading. “Where are we going?”

Amanda blushed, answering in a whisper. “California.”

“California? What the... ? I’ve never been that far from home in my life. I visited Disney World once, but this...”

“California is similar to New York. A lot of people commute between them on a frequent basis.”

“Yeah, people who can afford to jet around the world on a moment’s notice.”

Amanda was grasping the steering wheel tight, her knuckles turning white. “More like entertainment executives who can help my career.”

“Where in California? What’s the event?”

“Oh, it’s a minor industry function, with hundreds of people competing for the same jobs. It’s where all the industry events are, Los Angeles.”

“Geez! I’d like knowing. I could have planned. I brought a winter dress and a heavy jacket. What’s the weather in L.A.?”

Amanda grinned. “Much warmer than here. From what I understand, it’s seventy-eight degrees and sunny.” Em shivered, thinking about the difference between the piles of snow and the cold wind blowing off the East River. “But you won’t have much time to see the sights. We’re heading directly to the stadium so I can practice my routines. Don’t worry about your clothing. I can ... arrange something.”

Em studied her. “Do you even know my size?”

Amanda giggled. “I do. I asked Lucy, and Francine double-checked for me yesterday. But it doesn’t matter. This is L.A. They dress thousands of wanna-be movie stars every day for dozens of different events. They’ve got every kind of outfit you could want.”

“You’re going to owe me a lot more than you said. This is a big deal, and I’m not getting a record contract out of it. What happens if my office calls?”

Amanda shrugged. “You do like everyone else, you take a call and handle it over the phone.”

Em leaned back in her seat, clutching her head and closing her eyes. “What if we get a lead? What if someone tries to take out my witness? What if something happens?”

“Oh, who’s being overly dramatic now? Who murders witnesses anymore? You’re not chasing the mob in the sixties are you? You’re not investigating Jimmy Hoffa’s murder.”

Em groaned as she dug out her phone and dialed Doug’s number.

“Officer Wei.”

“Hey, Doug. I may be out of contact for longer than anticipated. Seems I’m being kidnapped and taken across state lines. We’re heading to L.A.”

“Whoa? Who’s the girl? I wasn’t aware you were searching for a sugar momma, otherwise I might have applied.”

“Is anything happening I should be aware of? I won’t be able to rush back unless we turn around now.”

“Nah, things are fine. We’ve outfitted Milton with a wire. He’s going to wear it twenty-four seven so he’ll be ready whenever they reach out. We have a female officer from vice babysitting him, so no one will suspect she’s a cop. I doubt anything will happen for a while. Heck, we haven’t even released the news of our witness being murdered yet. You should be fine.” He paused a moment and Em noted the sound of his fingers tapping his desk. “What time will you be back?”

Em turned to Amanda. “When do we return?” She shrugged. “This is a big deal with free liquor, so there will be parties all night which we’ll have to attend. Various industry execs will be hovering, so this is my chance to hob-nob and brown nose. I was planning on grabbing a red-eye back first thing in the morning. We may have to be poured into our seats, but it’ll be worth it.”

“You can drink if you want, but I’m not sure it’s a good idea if you’re hoping to impress people. Me, I’ll be abstaining. I’m not about to be caught in an embarrassing situation. With an event this big, there’s bound to be reporters snapping pictures. If you need, I’ll pour you into the plane in the morning, but I need a time.”

“We leave at three-thirty in the morning. It’s a five-hour flight, meaning we’ll get back by noon.”

Em dropped her head against the headrest and groaned. “Looks like it won’t be until late afternoon.”

“Nah, I’ll get you there by one. Downtown may take longer, maybe as late as two.”

Em grunted. “You and what fairy dust.” She resumed speaking into the phone. “Figure around three in the afternoon. Early enough for you to inform me what I missed. You can tell me whether our witness is still alive.”

“Man, sounds like my kind of party,” Doug responded. “Have fun. I’m sure we can handle things on our end. I’ll tell you if anything happens.” When he hung up, Em shook her head. “You owe me another couple favors.”

Amanda giggled, “Add it to my tab. I’m sure to tack on a few more.”

“So is there anything else I should know about this shindig?”

Amanda bit her lip, glancing out her window. “Nah. It’s a music industry meet and greet. Since you don’t understand much about the field, you wouldn’t understand. I’ll tell you everything you need to know when we arrive, but it’s easier if I explain things as you encounter them.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Em stared at an approaching sign. “Shouldn’t we turn off here? That’s the departures terminal.”

“Nah, I’m going in the back way. It’s faster and less congested.”

Em glanced at Amanda and raised her brow. “I never knew there was a back entrance. This I gotta see.”

They drove past the arrival and departure gates before Amanda turned on a small access road which led to a guardhouse gate. Em noted the sign. “Private airfield?”

“That’s why no one knows about it, you can only get in if you’re authorized.”

Em shrugged and waited as they approached the gate.

The guard was about to say something when he recognized her. His entire face lit up. “Hey, Mandy. Your flight is set and warming up.”

“Hi, Earl. How’s the wife and kids.”

Earl was a large man with pudgy cheeks but a lot of muscle supplemented by a generous dollop of fat. He wore his slightly graying hair in a pompadour, and the laugh lines around his eyes crinkled as he conversed with Amanda. “They’re doing well. The kids love the album you sent. They send their love. They’re big fans.” He noticed Em and leaned over for a better view, his eyes narrowing and his hand resting by his side, which was hidden from view.

“You trust your passenger?”

“Yeah, she’s an NYPD cop. She’s here to ticket me if my bags are oversized.”

Earl laughed, waving her through with no further questions, all security precautions evaporating at Amanda’s say-so.

“I take it you come here often?”

“Yeah, the first time I came, we got to talking. The guards treat me wonderfully.” They pulled around the building and turned on a street facing the airfield and a row of hangers on the side.

Em glanced at the passing buildings, straining to see farther downfield. “This doesn’t appear to lead to the normal departure terminals.”

“It doesn’t.” Amanda hesitated and glanced at Em. “Prepare yourself. You’re in for a shock. We’re not flying coach. The contact flying me out has a private plane.”

“Impressive. Won’t a private plane take forever to reach L.A.?”

The car slowed and turned into an open hanger and Em’s mouth dropped. Standing before them was a Learjet with a guard by the open gangway. When he saw Amanda, he waved her in, having her park beside the plane.

She rolled the window down, popping the trunk and motioning with her thumb. “Hey, James. My bags are in the back.”

James, a mid-thirties black man with a thin mustache, a fedora and glasses, smiled, his face reflecting sheer delight. Em shook her head, figuring being a private guard was the way to go. They were dressed better than her and had a lot more latitude in their attire and attitude. “Hello, Mandy. Trying to appear inconspicuous, huh? Must be traveling light today.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.