The Accidental Portal Trip - Cover

The Accidental Portal Trip

Copyright© 2018 by Red Tempest

Chapter 2

The seamstress shop was just a few buildings down from the bank, so I went there next. We bartered a bit before agreeing that she would take all the clothes in trade for making me two new sets of clothing including undergarment and socks. She would cut her price to wash my clothes from two pinches to one pinch. She took the bed rolls that I had taken off the three horses and said she would wash them and have ready for me about this time tomorrow.

Feeling proud of myself with the dealings on the clothes, the next stop was the armorer who dealt with weapons. Again, we bartered long and hard and finally came to an agreement. He would take everything I had but the arrows. In return a got a new sword of better quality than the ones I had. Also, a new bow which was an upgrade from the previous bow and some better arrows and a hand full of bow strings. He had a practice sword and arrows that he gave me.

I then stopped at the other armorer who dealt in armorer clothing and I talked with him. He had a nice hauberk (chainmail) there, but it was out of my price range for the time being. The other brigandine was too large for me and I sold it to him two shells.

On to the stable where we came to an agreement that he would take the horses and wagon, and two of the three bandits’ horses, I kept the best horse, saddlebag and tack for me. I figure that each horse and tack was worth about two shells and the wagon and two horses was worth five shell. We agreed on seven shells and he would take care of my horse while I was here. If I had need of the wagon while I was here, and it was available, there would no charge for using it. He gave me six shells, three quids and four pinches for our agreed upon price. I put them into my pouch.

“Which of the Inns was the best?” I asked him.

“There both good, but I think the one across the road has better food. For two pinches you can stay a night, with meals included.”

I went across the road and walked into the Inn, it was called the Riverbend Inn. The place was busy; it was getting close to the dinner hour. I approached the man at the bar.

“Are you the Innkeeper?” I asked.

“I am; how can I help you?”

“Do you have a room for rent?”

“I do, the cost is two pinches a night includes meals and drink.”

“I would like to rent a room.”

“Two pinches please.” He said.

I laid two pinches down. He grabbed my money and led me up the stairs to a room. There was a single bed, a wash table with a pitcher with water in it and bowl next to the pitcher. There was one chair in the room. This was not the Hilton, but I guess it will do.

“Where do I go to relieve myself?” I asked him

“There is a privy out back to use.”

I put my bow and arrows and practice stuff under the bed, locked the door and went back down the stairs. For dinner, I had some type of stew with bread and some god-awful tasting watered down wine. I left the Inn and decided to walk around the town a bit to see what was there. I talked with a few of the town’s folk, but most just stayed clear from me. As it got dark, I could feel the old sensation of the need to use the toilet. I walked behind the Inn, entered the privy and did my business. Lo and behold there was nothing in there to wipe my behind with. I removed my brigandine, took off my shirt and ripped it into strips to wipe with. I guess the seamstress will have to make me another shirt. Make note to self, next time I find dead bodies take the shirts for toilet paper. I entered the Inn and went to my room and went to sleep.

In the morning for breakfast they served some type of gruel and hard toast. I drank some hot tea to wash the food down with. The tea was barely drinkable. I am not sure of my location or time frame, but what would happen if I get sick from eating the food or drinking the water? Well, I guess I will find out the hard way. After breakfast I went back out into the street just wandering around. I had nothing to do or no place to go. I had plenty of time on hand to think about my problem. I stopped at the seamstress shop and told her to make me another shirt. For now, I just had my tee shirt on under the brigandine.

I went back to my room and got my sword and bow and arrows plus my practice stuff. I stopped at the food store and got a leather water container which she filled for me, a stick of sausage and some cheese for two pinches. I then stopped at the stable and the stable guy saddled my horse. Riding a horse, hell I haven’t done that in over forty years, doubt if I remember how. It took me three tries to mount the damn horse.

I decided that I would go back to the glade and look around again. While there I planned on practicing both with my sword and bow. It was a quicker ride on horseback than the wagon, but every step the horse took sent shock waves of pain throughout me. After about an hour ride (I still have my watch and I put it on before I left town, so I could tell time and charge up the watch) I spotted some birds on the side of the road. They were pecking away at the bodies I had left there.

I entered the woods just past the bodies. I slowly picked my way through the woods to the glade where I tied the horse up to a tree by some thick grass. Getting off the horse was easier than getting on it. My legs and crotch were stiff and sore for the ride. I walked around the glade for a bit to just loosen up and see if by some miracle I could find a way back home.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.