Misunderstandings & Judgements - Cover

Misunderstandings & Judgements

Copyright© 2018 by NikolettJay

Chapter 9

The restaurant was only a short drive, convincing Elia more than ever that they have been better off walking. Christina chatted cheerfully to Alexandre in French, the latter, Elia noted seemed to reply with less enthusiasm and less frequency, adding to the mounting proof that the man appeared to possess zero social skills.

They arrived at the place, it was a very small looking establishment, from the outside it hardly looked big enough for their group. It turned out to be much longer in length though with enough spaces for all to share a large table. Christina continued to speak mainly to Alexandre, and only in French.

“I was surprised to hear that your friend will be moving to the south very soon.” Alexandre began as he turned to Elia once they’d sat down. She eyed him suspiciously trying to weigh up his objective.

“Yeah, me too!” She told him. “What’s your point?”

Nothing.” He assured his shaking his head. “It just appeared you were under a fair amount of pressure to go there yourself, I expected that you’d have given in to it, that’s all.”

“Well, I didn’t!” She responded abruptly. “I do have my own mind you know!”

“Well, that’s good!” He continued, raising his hand a little to try to alleviate her. “I find that admirable.” The waiter arrived to take drink orders and after he left Christina immediately began speaking in French to Alexandre again. Elia meanwhile turned her attention to the menu, which seemed to be only in French and therefore incomprehensible to her. Jazmin stepped in to help but with neither of them having any idea what many of the menu items even were. Alexandre addressed the group in French, appearing to explain about the food, he then turned to Elia once again and repeated in English for her.

“I was just telling the others” began. “I’m probably going to order a selection of things for everyone, so we can all try a little bit of everything, a bit like a buffet you could say. Do you want to go along with that or would you rather order your own thing?”

Elia scrutinised the items on the menu, she had to admit his idea did make sense.

“I’ll probably go along with that,” She told him prudently.

“You sure?”

“Yeah”

Christina turned Alexandre’s attention to herself, talking away at him, however, she was interrupted by the waiter who had come with the drinks and to take their food order. Once he’d dealt with that Alexandre once again addressed Elia.

“So where do you have in mind to go on this Euro trip you have planned?”

Elia looked up, surprised and distrustful at his sudden question.

“I mean, I’m interested in travelling too and just wondered what places you want to see and why.”

“I want to see Italy more than anything, all of it, I’m fascinated with it.” She told him after a pause. “Then Switzerland, the alpine region, same for Austria. Then France, especially Arles and then the Netherlands, Amsterdam for the Ann Frank Museum. South Germany too because my friend has a great interest in seeing sights related to some well known historical figures from that region.”

“I don’t know much about history.” He admitted.

“I know some, mostly what she told me.” She went on. “It’s actually quite fascinating she’s often told me about one particularly sad story about a nineteenth-century Empress. Elisabeth her name was, maybe you’ve heard of her?”

Alexandre shook his head.

“She started off as a duchess.” Elia began. “Then was married off to an emperor at sixteen, he adored her of course but she still had a miserable life. He had wealth and power from being the head of one of the most prominent royal houses of Europe and could give her anything she wanted. But he couldn’t give her the simpler and happy carefree life she’d left behind. Quite tragic!”

Christina interrupted again, talking in English this time.

“Royalty is a waste of time and money!” She declared, rolling her eyes. “I’m so glad my country had the sense to get rid of theirs back in the eighteenth century!” Elia looked her, slightly perplexed.

“Do you mean the nineteenth century?” She asked her.

“No” Insisted Christina. “France killed off their royal family before the beginning of the eighteenth century, you’ve heard of Marie Antionette haven’t you?”

“Yes but that wasn’t the end of the monarchy in France,” Elia told her. “Several others followed and France didn’t permanently become a republic until later in the nineteenth century. Christina let out a large sigh before changing the subject.

“Tell me, did Jazmin tell you much about our family?”

“Very little” Elia admitted. “Other than you’re originally from Cuba and have relatives here in France, some of whom work in fashion.”

“Bah, Cuba! She scoffed dismissively. “I’m French, Parisian especially. Paris is where I spent my most impressionable years, it made me, it’s the only place I would consider home!” Elia regarded her in surprise as she continued.

“My uncle made his fortune here creating a fashion line.” She continued. “He’s more or less retired now and my cousin has taken over, she’s the one who succeeded in bringing us over here.”

“I see.”

“I take it you don’t have much of an interest in fashion?”

“I don’t pay attention to designer labels if that’s what you mean.”

“It appears to me” Christina began. “That your interests lay in titbits of history and travel yet very little else?”

“Excuse me?! Elia exclaimed.

“Nothing wrong with that of course! Christina continued in an effort to reassure. “Each to their own as they say.”

“Elia here is actually a professional dancer.” “Alexandre pointed out. “And a photographer.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.