Misunderstandings & Judgements
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2018 by NikolettJay

Elia stared at him in silence for a few moments, dumbfound. Her mind went back over all their past interactions as she tried to pinpoint something she could have said or done to prevent him from harbouring the hope he held right now. One she had to crush as delicately and painlessly as she possibly could.

“Billy” She began softly. “The gift is lovely and was extremely generous of you but I cannot accept it, neither can I accept your offer.” He looked at her, confusion creeping across his face.

“Do you need more time?” He asked. “I do understand, this must have come as a bit of a shock to you, I can give you a few days to give it some thought.” Elia shook her head.

“I don’t need time.” She assured him. “I already know, it’s not for me.”

“How can you say that when you’ve never given it a chance? This is a golden opportunity, the kind that many people could only dream of!”

“An opportunity according to who?” She reasoned. “An opportunity or a dream is going to be something different for each person.” Billy however still looked confused.

“I mean not every person wants the same thing in life.” She continued.

“Everyone wants success, Elie.” He argued, still looking confused.

“Yes but the idea of success is not the same for everyone, that’s what I’m trying to say.”

“Who in this world doesn’t want to live in comfort? To have all their needs met, to want for nothing and to know you have a secure future?! Those are basic human needs, Elie!” He insisted. “You cannot tell me I’m wrong.”

“Happiness, Billy!” She sighed. “That’s a basic human need. You can have all the things you mentioned but it means nothing if you’re not happy.”

“Happiness comes with along with it!” Billy exclaimed. He paused, looking at her as if she has lost her mind. “Living a comfortable life makes people happy, it’s a no-brainer!”

“Living your life the way you want to brings happiness.”

“And that’s exactly what I’m offering you!”

“No, Billy!” She protested. “You’re offering me YOUR idea of happiness, not mine.”

“You’re not making any sense,” He told her shaking his head. Elia let out a big sigh.

“I want to be free to live how I want, and I want to travel, see amazing things, and have new experiences and learn and grow from them. I don’t want to live a trapped and isolated life and but that’s exactly what I’ll have if I accept your offer.”

“No, you won’t.” He replied defensively. “You’ll have me there, and Madam Catherine will be there for us both.”

“Ok, can we just forget ‘Madam Catherine’ for a moment please!”

“Madam. Dargas.” He corrected.

“What?”

“Unless you’re part of her inner circle Elie, it’s Madam Dargas.” Elia stared at him in disbelief, this was one detail she really didn’t care about at this moment.

“It changes nothing Billy, I don’t want that life! It won’t make me happy. You won’t make me happy and I won’t do for you either.”

“Yes, you will.” He told her looking upset. She looked at him, it made her feel bad to know she was hurting him, it’s not what she wanted at all and neither did he deserve it.

“It won’t work.” She told him regretfully. “We are just too different.”

“You say you want your freedom, but you will do!” He implored “Your time will be your own on the weekends. You can photograph, travel, whatever you want you can do!”

“Elia?”

She turned to where the voice was coming from. It was Alexandre who had approached her from where he had previously been sat.

“Stay away from me!” She fumed, springing away from him. “Did you put him up to this?!”

“No.”

“You, your mother. One of you did! Think you can just turn up and buy whatever you want, items, people! And you pass on your sick ideas to whoever you can!”

“It’s not like that.” He replied calmly.

“Mentiroso!” She spat.

“What is your life right now Elie?” Billy asked. “Eat, sleep, dance and babysit. That’s all, right?” I’m offering you something better!”

“What can I do to get you to understand me?” Elia began. “You don’t seem to get it at all, my life isn’t just that, it’s so much more. I’m surrounded by family and friends whom I love dearly. I have a job that makes me feel amazing. I get to celebrate my background to teach people who have never encountered my culture to understand it. I love getting that feeling every working day. I get be a part of a little one’s life and receive love from them in return, and that’s a wonderful thing. Those things make me happy, bottom line is, my life is here, surrounded by the people and things that I love. Sorry, Billy, I cannot and will not give it up, not for you. Not now and not ever.”

Billy stood and stared crestfallen. Another knock on the door broke the awkward silence that had descended on the room. Jasmin once again gave Elia a puzzled look and went to answer it. Their mother burst in with a big smile on her face.

“Elia? Where’s Elia?” She demanded before spotting her.

“Elia!” She cried. “I brought you a present.” Rita pulled out from her bag a bottle of wine

“A gift!” She declared gleefully

“What?” Elia stared at her in bewilderment.

“To celebrate!” Her mother insisted. “Your future life!”

“What?!”

“Where are the glasses mi’jita, we need glasses I didn’t bring any.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.