Utopian Refugee - Cover

Utopian Refugee

Copyright© 2018 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 12

Ed woke with a pounding headache. It was so bad that he could hear the blood pounding in his ears. Even blinking caused him to see stars.

He groaned, “What hit me?”

“The asshole drugged us last night,” Jane said understanding exactly how Ed felt.

He rubbed his forehead hoping to relieve some of the pain he felt. It took him a moment to realize that he wasn’t bound to the chair.

Surprised he said, “He untied me.”

“He didn’t untie me,” Jane said after giving her restraints a slight tug.

Ed tried to stand up, only to find the room had started spinning. He collapsed back into his chair, wondering if he was going to get sick. The queasy feeling in his stomach forced him to take stock of himself. His cheeks turned red on realizing that he was undressed.

“Hold on,” Ed said.

Jane giggled.

“What’s so funny?” Ed asked.

Jane said, “President Ed Taylor wearing nothing except a diaper. I wish the folks back home could see this.”

“Ha ha. Very funny,” Ed said. “I’m going to kill that son of a bitch.”

“Stand in line,” Jane said.

“He’s going to pay for this,” Ed said. “What did he use on us?”

“I don’t know,” Jane said, “Don’t worry. Your head will clear in a minute or two.”

Ed looked around for a second before noticing a note on the table next to his chair. He picked it up. After reading the first sentence, he said, “He left us a note.”

“What does it say?” Jane asked.

Reading aloud, Ed answered, “Ed, Sorry about drugging you, but I needed a 12-hour head start. You’ll notice that I removed your restraints. I expect that you will release Robin as soon as you can stand. I suggest that you dress first. I’m sure that you’d rather be seen being chased out of her room with her wearing diapers than being found there dead and wearing a diaper.”

“Asshole,” Jane muttered. “How did he know that my name is Robin?”

“Your name is Robin?” Ed asked.

“Yes,” she answered. “What does the rest of the note say?”

Ed read, “I’ve left the paperwork necessary for the hotel to be turned over to Jane Doe. She’ll need a place to live while adjusting the future. The hotel is a good place for that. She’ll have seven months a year where she can do what needs to be done, and a reasonable income to support her year round.”

“He’s giving me the hotel?” Robin asked in surprise.

“According to this note,” Ed said.

“What is he going to do?” Robin asked.

“I don’t know,” Ed said.

“Is there more?”

Ed read aloud, “I only have one more major tweak to make to this timeline to prevent the future I experienced from occurring. You won’t be able to stop it, but I can guarantee that you’ll be busy as a result. Don’t let the corrupt bastards in Washington use this as an opportunity to take over the financial sector.”

“Oh my God!” Robin said horrified at what she had just heard.

“What?” Ed asked concerned by her reaction.

“The Washington Meltdown!”

“What’s that?”

Robin said, “Over two hundred of the most powerful men in the banking industry died in a hotel explosion outside of Washington, DC. There were men from the Federal Reserve, investment bankers from Wall Street, bankers from Switzerland, and even a dozen multi-billionaires present at the time. It sent shock waves throughout the financial world.”

“You’re kidding?” Ed asked.

“No,” Robin said.

She tried to remember some of the details about the event. If she remembered correctly, a lot of the reaction to the event was equally divided between shock that so many powerful people could die all at once, and shock at what had been going on in the meeting. That many rich and powerful people didn’t meet with the intention of saving the world without getting something out of it.

Ed looked down at the note. He said, “There is more.”

“Read it,” Robin said.

“Robin probably knows what I am going to do. I would tell you not to release her until everything is settled, but I know you won’t do that. Instead, I ask that you insist that she go into my room and read the diary on my desk. She’ll find that I’ve laid out the historical events that were significant to my timeline to the best of my ability. It is my hope that when she finishes reading it that she’ll turn a blind eye to what is about to happen. Regardless, I doubt that she’ll be able to prevent it.”

Robin said, “I’ll stop it.”

“Uh, you might want to reconsider that,” Ed said.

Frowning, Robin asked, “Why?”

“You heard what he said about the future. Do you want that to happen to your children?” Ed asked.

“I can’t have children,” Robin answered sadly.

“I do have children. I don’t want them to grow up in that kind of world,” Ed said.

Robin was half tempted to tell him that it sucked to be him. The words died on her lips upon realizing that it wouldn’t be only his children, but all of the children of the future. She remembered that there had been talk about the group setting up shadow governments controlled by banks.

She tried to remember what had been said about money being concentrated in a few countries. It was something about bankers and brokers not getting rich unless money was flowing from one place to another. Bankers had to make the loans to finance moving money while brokers skimmed money from the flow. Having money concentrated in one country prevented it from flowing around the world.

Ed read, “I do have a suggestion or two that will make Robin happy. Remind her that the future isn’t written in stone. Her grandfather doesn’t have to die. She can warn him about the consequences of taking the bribe that ended up with him being executed. Who knows, he might be one of the few government officials who remain after the purge. It would make him a powerful man.

“John, you don’t have to end up being ‘The Bastard.’ She can advise you on some of the more controversial issues you will face. Remember, she has seen the future and knows the consequences of everything you do. Some things will be tough regardless of how much advice she gives you. I’m sure that both of you will discover that the world isn’t a simple place by the time you make it to the oval office.

“You might wonder why I suggest that you listen to her advice, particularly in light of the fact that we are diametrically opposed on many issues. I am rather strong in my opinions, but that does not mean that I am wed to them. I recognize that the best ideas come about through negotiation among honest men and women who hold perspectives that differ significantly. You’ll argue for hours, but I have no doubt that you’ll produce better solutions to the problems of the world as a result of those debates.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.