Exodus - Cover

Exodus

Copyright© 2018 by Wolfman

Chapter 1

The auditorium was a mere one quarter full, the lighting low as Dr. Sasha Turner gave her speech.

“ ... the chance to prevent this has gone. Past. We are through the event horizon! All that’s left is how long humanity spasms in its death throes. Will your grandchildren’s generation be the last? Perhaps your grandchildren’s grandchildren? We can’t know how long is left. We’re fighting a delaying action, hoping for a new invention, a new discovery to save us, all the while suppressed inventions that can extend our time sit defunct in patent office vaults. Next week, this very city is hosting this year’s annual climate symposium. I urge you to attend and spread word. Change must happen now! Now! Make your voices count!

The subdued lighting flared and brought the auditorium to full brightness, signaling the end of her allotted time as Sasha hurriedly tried to finish her speech.

“Contact your Senators, your congress men and women, the more we’re heard the further we can push back our demise!” She finished to an empty room, her eyes moist.

Sasha was met backstage by her fiancé Charles Fairaday. Handing her a tissue he asked “Another rough one? How was attendance this time?”

“They’re not listening! Everything they need to see what’s coming is right there! And they’re not getting it. I’m a doomsayer! A crackpot,” she replied wiping her eyes.

“Well,” he chuckled “you have to admit you’re totally rockin’ the whole “The END is Neigh” thing”. He grabbed her before she could turn and flee.

“I’m sorry Sash. I shouldn’t tease. I know this is your life’s work.”

“Not just mine,” she whimpered.

“I know dear, someone somewhere knows what happened to him and someday we will find out.”

“I miss dad so much Charley.”

“Huh ... hum” a gentleman in an expensive suit cleared his throat.

“My apologies for interrupting Dr. Turner. I wanted to catch you before I departed. This is for you,” he spoke as he handed her a large sealed manila document folder and a business card.

“I’m sorry I can’t stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.” The man briskly departed.

“Someone you know?” Charles asked.

“I don’t know. His face seemed familiar,” looking at his business card, it read Stuart Vargus, CEO New World Exports.

“The name though, never heard of him. But still ... familiar but I don’t recall how.”

“Are you going to open that Sash?” Charles asked.

“Not now, I need a hot bath and a glass or two of wine” she smiled coyly at him, “ a foot massage wouldn’t hurt either!”

Charles laughed giving her a one armed hug, “Anything for you dear,” as they departed the auditorium.


Back at their apartment two days later Charles was straightening up the coffee table in the den when he came across the envelope and card again. Setting them aside he made a mental note to remind Sasha about them.

Later that afternoon he brought the subject up. “I came across that envelope and card that fellow gave you on Tuesday. Found them in the den on the coffee table.”

“I totally forgot about that” she replied. “I’ll open it after dinner.”

Later that evening, with some Mozart playing softly in the background, Charles handed her the envelope and settled beside her on the comfortable leather sofa.

She pulled the coffee table to her as he quipped “Don’t set ‘em and forget ‘em this time.”

She smiled at him then jabbed his ribs. “Ooof, hey now!” he exclaimed somewhat surprised. She had put more power than normal into that one!

Sasha opened the envelope and upended its contents onto the table. Two letter sized envelopes, one labeled “FIRST”, the other “SECOND”, a ream of bound papers, two passports, two plane tickets, and an itinerary presented itself.

Sasha checked inside the envelope declaring “That’s all of it.”

Sasha grabbed the ream of papers and began looking through them, leaving the passports and tickets for Charles.

He briefly examined each passport then the tickets waiting patiently for Sasha.

Finished rifling through a couple pages she told Charles “This is some of dad’s work. What do you have?”

“Passports and tickets for us, sort of” showing her the passport containing their pictures but incorrect names.

She asked “What is all this?”

Chuckling, Charles responded “Maybe you should read what’s in the envelope marked FIRST.”

While moving her elbow closer to his ribs and smiling she asked “You want another one buddy?” Opening the envelope marked FIRST she found a full page note:

My Dearest Sasha,

IF you’re reading this then I have passed from this life as that’s the only reason I wouldn’t be talking to you myself. I’m sorry I can’t be there with you. I missed your first words. I missed your first steps. Know that you were never far from my heart and thoughts. I hope someday you can forgive me. I have kept track of your career, I watched you earn your doctorate and seeing you achieve your goals, well, no father has been more proud.

I have been part of a group working towards bettering humanity since before you were even born and it brings my heart great pleasure to see you helping your fellow man, or at least trying to. I had the same decision to make that you now face. To continue trying in vain, to help those who refuse to listen, who refuse to see or help the ones who want your help. Earth’s climate needs a chance to recover, the political machines across the globe are unable to provide this break. The group I’m part of has decided to abandon the fight against the current systems in place and strike out to make our own. I’m sure this doesn’t make sense now but it will.

I always wanted to give you the world Sasha, I fear I’ve fallen far short as a father but perhaps, not as a grandfather. Take up my mantle. Carry on. It is my wish for you to live a happy joy filled life.

With all my love my dearest daughter,

Dad.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.