My Name Is Ed
Chapter 47

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

For three weeks I watched seeds germinate in clear plastic bags meant to serve as portable greenhouses. I even built a cart to transport them onto the deck during the daylight hours and inside the house at night. The deck was the sunniest place where I also had easy access.

Between the bamboo plants and the worm farm, I stayed just busy enough to avoid total boredom. Oh yes, Maurine also kept me occupied. The other members of my group were not nearly as fortunate. Lucinda and Gerome were going a little nuts while waiting for the Gym to get enough members to pay for itself and make a profit. Lucinda did have a disability check, but it wasn’t enough to support the two of them and cover the red ink bleeding from the gym. Those two concerned me. I hoped they kept their desire to do something worthwhile. I knew it was hard to remember we were there to drain the swamp, when you were up to you ass in alligators.

The pot crop might be a big temptation, if I brought them into it. I even had to remind myself every day that it wasn’t about the money. It was about helping people. I hoped I could remember that when we started to have something to sell.

I had no idea at that time how long it was going to take to bring in a crop, even a small one. It was likely that we wouldn’t even get a crop the first summer. I needed to get the Bamboo plants up and growing as soon as possible. I had the seeds germinate and sprout inside two weeks. I called the professor.

“So Michael what it is time line for the Cranes to arrive here?” I asked.

“Any day now,” he said “Why?”

“To be honest I’ve got some seedlings I want to put in the ground out there. I also want to water them until the Cranes show up. Once the Cranes arrive no matter when that is, the site is all yours until they leave the nests,” I promised.

“Okay just call me before you do anything. We will try to work together to work out something,” he suggested.

“That sounds great, So can I plant some bamboo sprouts today?” I asked. I want to screen the field off from the road,” I stated. I didn’t tell the professor the real reason I wanted the site screened from the road.

“Tell me Michael, will it hurt anything if we thin out the undergrowth some?” I asked.

“Not at all as long as you don’t butcher the habitat,” he informed me.

“After this nesting season. You and I need to walk the plot and mark the undergrowth I can cut,” I said.

“Good,” he agreed. “We can do that. Just don’t use any power equipment now. The birds can tell from the insects if there has been a disturbance.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.