My Name Is Ed
Chapter 40

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

The night after I loaded the furniture, I called Maurine. I know, I swore I wouldn’t get her hopes up without knowing more about her, but I was curious about her. I couldn’t get her off my mind, so I gave in and called.

“Maurine, it’s Ed how are you?” I asked.

“I’m fine and you?” she asked.

“I’m fine, I was calling to see if you knew anyone who likes modern antiques. Stuff made in the forties maybe?” I asked.

“I don’t know anyone right off hand, what do you have,” she asked.

“I don’t have it my friend Tommy does. He removes the left overs after garage sales and estate sales. I gave him a hand today and he picked up an old iron bed it had the foot board and head board. He also got an iron night stand. I think it’s pretty unusual. It also had a dozen coats of paint on it.

“No the people I know are not the type for restoring old furniture,” she said.

“Okay I’m going to give my son John a call and see if he knows anyone,” I said. “We still ought to get together for dinner one night.

“Sure, I’m not busy any night at all since Eddie stays at school almost all the time now,” she said.

It was the second time she stated that he stayed away. She seemed overly disappointed by it. Maybe it was just mama concerns.

“I’m sure Eddie will come around,” I said.

“If he stays out of trouble long enough. He was not raised to be in trouble or to hang out with kids who were. I always knew he could get into trouble easily. It’s why I enrolled him in a religious based private school. It took all my salary to pay for his education, but I made it work thanks to my mom and dad,” she explained.

“I’m sure they are proud of you,” I said.

“I was still growing up myself. Fortunately I used Eddie as a crutch. Now I don’t know what I’ll do without him,” Maurine said.

“You could make up for all that time you were being the good mom. Maybe a part time job as an exotic dancer,” I said with a laugh.

“Right, I don’t think anyone would pay me for that,” she said.

“I don’t know. I hear teenagers, who have all the money in the world these days, love older women,” I said.

“If I do I’ll have to hire you as a business manager,” she said with a giggle.

“That’s an idea, but I have no experience in that kind of thing,” I admitted.

“I’ll bet you know what men like,” she said.

“I’ll bet you do as well,” I said. “I’m sure you dated some during the time Eddie was in high school.”

“Not really, I kind of dedicated my life to Eddie. Now it looks like he doesn’t need me anymore. I feel like a jilted lover,” she said laughing.

“I wouldn’t say that to strangers,” I said with a laugh. “You never can tell what people will think or the tales they will tell.”

“We did cuddle a little on the sofa in the winters, but it wasn’t anything like that,” she explained.

Since I always figure that folks tell less than the complete truth, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt anyway.

“I guess I should turn in. I have to deal with some land owners tomorrow,” I said.

“Mary Beth told me about the project to save the cranes. Where are you going to get the money,” she asked.

“First we need to know how much money we need,” I suggested. “After that Lucinda and Gerome are going to start an internet campaign at least. They might even dream up some other things.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.