My Name Is Ed
Chapter 27

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

‎When I arrived at the daycare I was pretty shakey, but I didn’t feel anything except exhausted. My fever had broken and the congestion had broken me, more or less. For the first hour I sat in the corner with a gauze surgical mask. Every time I coughed I used a hand sanitizer. I probably had less germs that days than at any other time during my life.

‎‎”So how you doing,” Sandra asked.

‎‎”I’m fine, just keep the kids away from me and you stay back at least ten feet,” I said with a laugh. “I don’t have a fever, so I don’t think I’m contagious and I don’t think I have been for a couple of days at least,” I explained.

‎‎”Well Lila is bringing lunches over from the shelter, so unless you don’t feel like eating, this might be a good day to let them bring you one,” she said. “If you insist, you can make a two dollar donation.”

‎‎”Sounds reasonable so whats on the menu?” I asked.

‎‎”Lila’s famous Mac and Cheese. It’s the one thing the shelter is famous for doing right,” Sandra said.

‎‎”I won’t tell a soul,” I admitted.

‎I finished the day without falling asleep, so I figure I had done good. I drove home with the window in the Soul wide open to keep me awake. When I got home I went directly to bed.

‎There was a knock on my door at 7PM. “Hold on I’m coming,” I said as I stopped to slip on my jeans.

‎‎”Gee, it took you long enough,” Lucinda said. She stepped into the house and then added. “Do you remember Gerome?”

‎‎”Sure Gerome how are you doing,” I asked.

‎‎”I’m doing better Lucinda has let me tag along to her meetings,” he said. “It’s hard but I’m staying clean.”

‎‎”Good for you, so what can I do for you two?” I asked.

‎‎”It’s more what we can do for each other,” Lucinda said.

‎‎”Don’t even try to explain that till I heat some coffee,” I said.

‎Lucinda and Gerome occupied the only two chairs in the house. I carried my thermos of coffee from the microwave to my bed where I sat down.

‎‎”Are you ready to talk yet?” Lucinda asked.

‎‎”Okay, so what’s so important?” I asked.

‎‎”We came to talk to you about your project, ‘See the homeless’,” Lucinda said.

‎‎”What the fuck are you talking about?” I asked.

‎‎”Tell him Gerome,” she said.

‎‎”Yeah Gerome tell me,” I demanded.

‎‎”Making a hobo jungle doesn’t go far enough. People have to relate to it. They have to do more than say, “Poor bastards,” Gerome said.

‎‎”Like what?” I asked.

‎‎”We need to not only build the hobo jungle, we need to force people to realize what it is like to live there,” Lucinda said.

‎‎”How do you propose to do that,” I asked. “Make the hobo jungle a theme park.”

‎‎”What a hell of an idea,” Lucinda almost shouted. “Show people what the every day reality is for the homeless.”

‎‎”You are nuts,” I suggested. Of course secretly I was fighting the urge to jump up and down.

‎‎”We can advertise it as a theme park as well as an authentic hobo jungle,” Gerome suggested. “We can set up a UTube channel and see how many hits we can get. I have some experience in those things. Not too many shows are successful, but this one might be.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.