My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 22

Word began to get around. It was two days later when I got back from a round of sales calls about worms, that is when I got a call from a Vet. He had heard about our little project and wanted in. I got his name and information then I made the call to my friend in the Sheriff’s office. By that time the Sheriff had signed off on the project so it wasn’t necessary to hide my interest.

“So Amos, I need you to run a name for me. Run it against the local and national crime data bases?” It took just twenty minutes to disqualify him. The hard part was telling him.

I bit the bullet and called him. “Look kid, I know you had a hard time and are working to turn it around, but this is the wrong way to do it. Imagine how a woman who had the crap beat out of her recently would feel, if she knew a violent felon was guarding in her kids day care?” I asked.

“I’m not like that any more,” he said.

“I know it’s like me. I’m not drinking any more, but I’m still an alcoholic. I work through it everyday. If it was just me I’d give you a shot. I could never get the Sheriff to sign off on it,” I admitted. I knew it was a PR nightmare in the making.

He seemed to take it well enough, but I made a note about it, then sent an email to John just in case.

By the end of the week I had a retired court reporter, who was married to a small time lawyer. She was also a grandmother. According to her she had plenty of time and recognized the need for someone to step up. I interviewed Mary Beth Williams on Friday of the same week. My plan was to get her certified, then start the service on Monday. It was a tall order, but I felt we could do it. I was pretty sure the rest of us could pick up the slack until she got certified.

‎ “So Mary Beth Williams, what makes you want to be an unpaid employee of the county again?” I asked.

“I’m retired and my husband wants to keep working. One month of house cleaning and I am going mad. So put me to work at something worthwhile,” she suggested.

I gave her the speech about accountability then sent her to the Sheriff’s office to begin the written part of the firearms course. She wasn’t going to be able to qualify until Monday at the earliest. She had to impress the instructors to get certified. It could be necessary that she shoot around kids, so it was important that she be a qualified marksman. She for sure had to put all her rounds it the black.

I called Tommy and Lu to give them the news. “I know it’s short notice but I need to make a schedule just in case Mary Beth doesn’t qualify,” I said.

“Well, since I’m the first one you asked, I will take Monday for sure. We don’t open the store on Mondays. My Granddaughter can send out the packages, if there are any to be sent. Thursday would be nice for a second day and I’ll fill in for an emergency any day that I can manage it,” Tommy said.

“I’ll put you down for Monday and Thursday then,” I replied.

Next I called Lucinda to explain everything. When I finished up dating her I asked, “So Lulu what days do you want,” I asked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.