My Name Is Ed
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

‎I managed to stall around the house so that it was almost 10AM when I arrived at the motel where John had booked a meeting room. Their meeting room was an ordinary motel room without a bed. Instead it had a conference table, a coffee machine, and several almost comfortable looking chairs. I expected that the chairs were meant to be not so comfortable.

‎I was first to arrive, but Porter was only a few minutes behind me. He was far enough behind so that I already had a cup of, what I saw as, bad coffee. Everyone else might like it, but it was too weak and bland for my taste. Too many years of stale convenience store coffee had ruined my taste buds.

‎I saw the five foot ten inch, or so male enter the room. At least he didn’t sashay in, I thought. He wasn’t so much feminine as just too damn clean looking.

‎‎”Good morning Mr Rollins.” he said.

‎‎”Good morning Porter,” I answered coolly.

‎I watched as he poured himself a cup of coffee. The coffee had been a little cool when I poured mine, I was sure it was pretty awful by Porter’s time. The coffee sitting on the hot plate might be drinkable by 3PM, I thought.

‎Porter shuffled paper for a while then said, “I really need to clear the air between us.”

‎‎”No you don’t this is about as friendly as I get with anyone,” I said knowing how he thought I acted different toward him. “There is no offense intended Porter. I realize things are going to be awkward between us. Let’s just go with it.”

‎‎”They don’t have to be awkward Mr Rollins,” he said. “I have nothing but respect for you and your wife. You two raised a wonderful man.”

‎‎”That was mostly his mother, to give the devil her due. She did an excellent job.” I said.

‎‎”Yes, but John got his deep believe in right and wrong and personal honor from you,” he went on.

‎‎”You are wrong. Most of that came from his mom and her church going family,” I explained. “If anything I taught him the more practical concept of right and wrong. The right and wrong as practiced in the real world.”

‎‎”That is very true. There is the church’s idea of right and wrong, then there is the law’s idea of right and wrong. I guess there is also the practical street version of right and wrong. I suppose you have to judge on one level, but understand the actions of a man on a different version of right and wrong,” Porter said.

‎I just nodded. Porter might pay lip service to it, but he would never understand how a gang member could brutally murder someone over a street corner and feel no remorse. It was something that floors even the toughest hearted bastard the first time he interviews a fourteen year old murderer.

‎Before we sank deeper into pretending to make an effort at understanding each other, the witness came into the room. The woman looked to be maybe thirty five years old. I had to look to her background investigation report to learn she was actually closer to twenty five.

‎After the introduction I began the questioning. “Good morning ma’am, my name is Ed Rollins. I’m John Rollin’s father. I am also his firm’s investigator, so shall we start with Miss Morales statement. Would you just tell us for the tape what happened the morning of May 19th of this year?” I asked.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.