My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 15

I drove straight home from the river, It was a short trip, since my house was only about a mile away, It was also on the river just a different stretch of it. I was surprised to see Lois’s car pull into my driveway, The drive was actually a narrow one lane gravel road from the county road to my house,

“Did you forget something?” I asked.

“No Ed, we need to talk,” Lois said acting all serious.

“Oh no, if it’s one of those talks let’s put away the boat and then go inside,” I suggested.

“Alright, but I go first when we are there,” Lois said in a very determined voice. I was a little concerned as I removed the small outboard motor. Lois made herself useful. She covered the aluminum boat with three 2nd hand blankets from the thrift store.

“Hold on a couple of more minutes while we attach the tarp frame and then throw the tarp over the boat,” I said. “I need to build a permanent cover for the boat this is a pain.”

When the boat was all tucked in, I carried my cooler and thermos into the house. Lois also brought the trash from her car, and deposited it in my fifty gallon plastic can. She did ask my permission first which was impressive, since cops seldom ask permission for anything.

I didn’t speak once we were inside the house. I did empty the thermos into two small glasses. Then I slipped covers around the glasses. The covers were made from a pair of way too small socks someone had once given me. Without the socks I could never have used the thick drink glasses as tea pots.

There were two benefits of the sock covers. One was evident, without the socks the glasses would have been far two hot to handle. After all when they came from the Microwave, they held boiling coffee. The second wasn’t nearly as obvious, but it was as important a feature. The cloth of the socks kept the glass ‘tea pot’ from sliding when I poured the liquid into a cup or thermos. I didn’t bother to explain my thinking to Lois. Her only comment was, “How cute.”

I just nodded. “So let’s take our coffee to the deck,” I said. I had previously noticed that she had kept her cold weather gear on when she was inside. She probably expected the move.

We were seated in two of my four plastic arm chairs, when she finally pulled together the courage to speak. I had a feeling that it was about some kind of a relationship she wanted to have with me.

Why she would want that I couldn’t even imagine. Even then I was not a great catch, especially not for a female cop.

“Shut up and listen,” Lois began. “First of all I had forgotten how much fun you are to be around. Like it or not, you have to admit we both like the same kind of things. When we do them together we are good at most anything. We make a damn good partnership. I would like to take time to explore that relationship. That is if you are willing.”

I took a few seconds to think out my reply. “Nothing like putting a guy on the spot,” I said. “But I plan to be just as honest and open. So here goes. You should remember what a lousy partner I really was. You could also ask my ex-wife. I’m sure she will be most happy to straighten you out.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.