My Name Is Ed - Cover

My Name Is Ed

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 10

It was the day after thanksgiving when john called me. “So how was your thanksgiving?” he asked.

“Probably a lot like yours. I had a frozen turkey pot pie, and a glass of iced tea made from a mix,” I answered.

“I had a fancy take out Thanksgiving dinner for one from the Parlor Market. I had it with a very nice Burgundy. They included a really nice piece of pumpkin pie,” John informed me.

“I bought a whole sweet potato pie from Walmart’s bakery. So what’s up?” I asked.

“Since you are running the worm ranch part time, I was wondering if you would like to work for me in your spare time?” John asked.

“Son you have to be kidding,” I said dramatically.

“No, I’m quite serious. I need you to run down a client’s story. Everybody else I asked wants a hundred dollars an hour and the client can’t afford that,” John said.

“So now you are taking on clients below the poverty level,” I asked.

“It’s one of those cases I have been assigned by the presiding judge,” John explained.

“Tell me you aren’t going to offer me minimum wage to run down some homeless guy’s alibi,” I suggested. “Just plead him out and move on.”

“I can’t do that. It’s a woman with a child, and she is innocent,” he said.

“John, unless it’s your mother, you can plead her out,” I said.

“It’s Linda.” he replied.

“Linda Abrams, Barry’s ex and Megan’s mother?” I asked. “That Linda?”

“Yes, that Linda,” John said.

“Did she finally kill Barry?” I asked.

“First of all nobody killed Barry,” John said.

“Shit there goes any chance of a story with a happy ending,” I said. “So what did she do?”

“She didn’t do anything. Barry claims she assaulted him Thanksgiving night,” John said. Then added, “she didn’t do it.”

“Hell, she was just suspect one. I assure you I’m suspect two.” I informed him.

“I thought that might give you a good reason to give me a hand,” John said.

“How did you get conned into this?” I asked.

“When the cops questioned her this morning, she gave my name as the only lawyer she knew. Then they read her the Miranda when they interviewed her. She asked for a lawyer, and the judge appointed me her attorney,” he informed me. “It was hell of a rush to judgment.”

“Okay, what do you need me to check out?” I asked.

“She invited a married man to her house to watch a movie Thanksgiving night. Megan was spending the night with Linda’s mother after they had dinner with her,” John explained.

“Let me get this all straight. Last night Linda was sleeping with a married man while Barry was getting his ass kicked. Somehow a few hours later today you are on the phone with me to investigate her alibi witness. This is some kind of bad joke isn’t it?” I asked.

“Afraid not dad. As soon as she told me about her alibi witness, I thought if anyone could convince him to come forward it would be you,” John said.

“John, I told you when you were twelve, never bullshit me. It’s still good advice,” I replied. “We both need to interview her about the boyfriend.”

“I know an attorney needs to be there for the record, but I can’t make it for a while. So I’m going to send Bruce over to interview her. You can help him,” John suggested.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.