War Maidens - Cover

War Maidens

Copyright© 2018 by Lapi

Chapter 10

Everyone now had their own priority and their own job to do, to most Freya’s was the most important, after-all Regan was ‘special’ to many people now. The task that seemed impossible to a human or even a Spirit was not so to a god. (Freya was a god remember)

Humans had little if any power by themselves; they relied on external sources, like magic, medicine and prayers. Spirits, namely the Valkyrie indeed were powerful beings, their bite and blood turned a human into a berserk, healing them. This boon granted the souls immediate entry to Valhalla when they died. That perk would be of significant value to some. A Berserk was almost unbeatable in battle, ‘almost’ being the modifier.

A god however was a step-up from that of a Spirit. The bite or blood from a god not only healed but created a new spirit. It was a decision Freya herself made. She reasoned Loki or Odin would not negate the poison used and neither cared. Time, Regan’s time was no more. The cut she made bleed the last of his life as a human, Her blood began to imbue new life into him, that of a spirit. This new life required a new name, Regin it would be now (Reginn, often Anglicized as Regin or Regan, in Norse mythology, was the son of Hreiðmarr and foster father of Sigurd.)

Meanwhile, back at the URT or whatever. A call went out for allies to the Valkyrie. Great minds must think alike, the near dying of Regan’s old troop were now offered a choice, a quick death by the sword or a new life as Berserk, albeit a short one, with the assured end in Valhalla. With Sigrud. Diana and Ingrid all there, there was little waiting for at least a bite and a drop of blood. Soon 300 or so new ‘Dealers in Death’ were made and anxious to be deployed against a human enemy.

These small groups that had been identified were to be the target, lest they return and be consolidated with each other or the main body. Thinking like a Valkyrie, it probably did not matter. ‘Resistance was futile’ against them, all humans would die. It would not be until ‘magic’ users, the last of the humans to control such things, that a real and lasting battle would occur before Ragnarok.

Most of the ‘small’ battles followed a similar, if not the same pattern. It was as if a mold was made and the enemy was the metal poured into it; the results were always the same. Archers forced the attacks to the flanks aside, their Calvary charged ahead to be met with Ingrid’s spells. Sigrud and Diana released the Berserk horde upon them after each charge was broken up. The enemy could not see how so few might withstand an attack by thousands. For a Berserk to kill or maim not less than 300 of the enemy was expected and not something noteworthy. To do it time after time was however.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.