The Rise of Azkoval - Cover

The Rise of Azkoval

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 73: Surprises, Good and Bad

The day before Genrico’s wedding to Victoria brought the return of Lydia and Yerrick to the castle – along with two surprises. Roderick and Annette Hulett rode along with the newlyweds through the city gates and up to the castle.

Joseph had the men at the gate on the watch for Yerrick and Lydia so he was waiting in the hall when the group entered.

“I see the castle still stands without me to tend to it,” Lydia announced with a smile. She had enjoyed meeting Yerrick’s family but she was happy to be home.

“It was a near thing,” Joseph said with a smile. He shook hands with Yerrick before pulling Lydia, dusty and bedraggled, into a brief hug. “It is good that you have returned.”

“Have we had visitors?” Lydia wondered. She saw at least one unfamiliar face in the room.

“No,” Joseph answered. Nadia cleared her throat and the king corrected himself. “A few but we found a place for them to reside. It’s just nice to see you both return safely. And what brings you two back to Tyrell?”

Annette looked to her brother and Roderick stepped forward.

“Our parents have determined they no long wish the responsibility of overseeing land on your behalf,” the young man announced.

Joseph blinked, clearly surprised at the news.

“They found life unpleasant without the ability to behave as they wished,” Annette clarified. “Morten gave them a bit of coin and they returned to my mother’s homeland.”

It had been only a few weeks since he’d seen the girl but she appeared to have grown in that brief time.

“I will confer the title to you if you wish,” Joseph said to Roderick.

“I do not wish it,” the young man said. Joseph shifted his gaze back to Annette.

“If you prefer, you may act as steward for your sister until she is of age and can assume the title,” the king proposed.

“I do not wish it,” Annette answered, shaking her head firmly.

“You can’t keep us down on the farm once we’ve seen Tyrell,” Yerrick said, laughing lightly.

“You wish to reside in the capital?” Joseph wondered.

“We do,” Roderick stated.

“They will lodge with us,” Lydia announced. “The house you gifted to us is far too large for two people. Annette has asked for employment at the castle and Roderick will join the military with its next class.”

“Unless I can convince him to give the Home Guard a look,” Yerrick said.

“That would permit you to act as Annette’s custodian until she is of age,” Joseph noted. “You may still join the army at that point.”

“I will consider my options and discuss things with Annette,” Roderick said, glancing at his sister.

“There is no hurry,” Joseph said. “I am certain that you had a hand in removing a thorn from my hide. I will sustain you both until you choose your path. I am truly happy to see you both again. I never doubted that I would but I suspected it would be several years.”

Joseph’s suspicions about Annette’s growth were confirmed when he gave her a hug. Her head now came to his shoulder and he could feel rounded swells beneath her tunic that had not been present when she had ridden in front of him on the way to her home region.

“With your permission, King Joseph, I would like to bathe and change before I resume my duties,” Lydia said.

“Of course,” Joseph told her. “Return when you are rested. It was several days before I felt whole again after my journey.”

“But you found things a mess when you returned,” Nadia said, stepping forward. “I am Nadia Muhlenberg, niece to King Olaf of Denaya. I have heard much of you, Lydia, and of you, Yerrick. It is my pleasure to meet you.”

She extended a hand first to Lydia and then to Yerrick.

“And you must be the members of the Hulett clan that your king admires so much,” she said to Roderick and Annette. “Welcome. My new friends have told me much about each of you. I am happy to have a face to put to the stories I’ve heard.”

Roderick nodded and hid a smile. It seems his wager at the tavern would provide a bit of coin for their use. He wondered how the others were taking the news ... and he wondered how his sister would react. Annette shook the woman’s hand but seemed content to ignore the implications.

“If you feel up to it, I would love to have your presence at evening meal,” Joseph told the group. “It will be our last chance to goad Genrico about his impending marriage and the final chance for Yerrick to impart his words of wisdom to the new groom.”

“We have not missed the wedding?” Lydia asked.

“It comes on the morrow,” Joseph replied. “Did you not notice the group of people camped outside the gates?”

“I thought perhaps the soldiers were not yet in their barracks,” Yerrick said. His first thought was to consider how much damage a group of outsiders might have done to his city. “It was quite a large encampment.”

“I fear Larchman might have been abandoned,” Joseph joked.

The conversation changed when a large group of sweaty people entered the castle.

“I told you,” Liala said, gesturing to where Annette and Roderick stood. “My eyes are still sharp.”

Joseph shook his head as the group split apart. Three went to greet Lydia and Yerrick; four moved to Annette and Roderick. Poor Geordie, who had been training at the field with the group, was left standing alone in the doorway. Joseph noticed a large bruise on boy’s arm.

“I will leave you to your cleansing and to the tender mercies of this group,” Joseph said. “I am expecting a report from Jonathan and Elena at any time.”

“The soldiers will be ready to depart before the weather turns,” Liala informed him. “Once we hear from Jonathan and Elena, we can make firmer plans.”

“Trouble?” Yerrick asked. Roderick, too, turned his eyes to the king.

“My brother assassinated my father and has sent men to invade us,” Octavia informed the newcomers. Only Lydia had met Junius and that meeting had been brief.

“We are at war?” Yerrick asked, amazed that the king was still so calm.

“Not as of yet,” Joseph replied. “Soon, however, I believe.”

“Where is Elena?” Lydia inquired.

“She was dispatched to Denaya to speak with our allies,” Joseph answered. Lydia nodded. There was little in the castle that she didn’t hear about and she knew Joseph had made plans to deal with Marindar.

“Should I put the Home Guard on alert?” Yerrick asked.

“There is no need,” Joseph said. “I have spoken to your sergeant and to Franco. No one will get near the capital. You have my word on that. There is no need to fret.”

The king’s statement was given credence when Genrico walked into the room laughing with his future bride and two older people in a language that none of the newcomers recognized.

“Ah, good, our goading can begin at once,” Joseph said, smiling as his friends approached.

“You are a terrible host,” Nadia said, shaking her head. “Geordie, if you please.”

The young man had been content to stay well away. It gave him ample opportunity to let his eyes roam over the figures in front of him without anyone noticing. Still, he did as Nadia bid.

“This is Geordie Frund,” Nadia said. “He is Genrico’s brother. These are Genrico’s parents, Garten and Gemma. They came for the wedding but Joseph is doing his best to convince them to remain in Azkoval. Allow me to introduce Yerrick and Lydia. You have all heard King Joseph speak of them many times. These two are Roderick and Annette ... I suppose it would be of Hulett now. They are brother and sister.”

The group conducted a halting conversation in Trade Common. Most of the group spoke it well but it was another thing Roderick and Annette had never been taught.

Joseph watched as Nadia served as translator for the two newcomers. Julia caught his eye and gave him a wink before he slipped away to his office, content that everyone was in good hands.


The letters from Elena arrived shortly after everyone had left the castle. One group had returned to the training field and the other had headed off to their lodgings to bathe and recuperate from weeks on a horse or wagon.

Nadia wasn’t surprised to receive a packet from her uncle at the same time as Marcos handed Joseph his missives from abroad. Both opened their parchments and studied the contents in silence.

Nadia frowned in concentration when she read her uncle’s words.

“My dearest child, (the letter read).

“I have received your latest dispatches and thank you for their thoroughness. Lady Elena and Baron Jonathan send their thanks, as well. It seems you are their conduit for information because King Joseph apparently does not believe his friends require specific instructions. It is a testament to his faith in them but they are thankful that you present almost every conversation in writing.

“Having them here has been a revelation to me. They can put into context what mere words on parchment cannot convey. Your descriptions give me the outline and their explanations fill in the colors. You will be happy to know that I have already begun to implement some of the things you noted in your letters. The changes will be gradual, to be certain, but they will be noticeable in time. You have done your country and your uncle a great service.

“I do, however, wish you would include less about Azkoval and more about you when you write. I know everything from the cost of a chicken to the composition of boot soles but I have yet to hear how you are enjoying your journey. My dear, please understand, this trip was meant as a chance for you to learn and grow away from my side. Lady Elena has told me that you are becoming quite accomplished at horse riding. Jonathan has mentioned that you worked side-by-side with King Joseph and his friends to load a relief ship bound for Paxifica. I want to hear about these things from you. I have learned that you have made friends with many people and I want to know all about the things you do.

“In that spirit, I will tell you about things happening here. I have negotiated a marriage contract with Helga. Of course we will wait for your return before we wed. I wish I could tell you that the event will be small but I would be untruthful if I said that. I have been informed – by Helga and by Lady Elena – that the marriage of a sitting monarch must be a spectacle unto itself. I find myself powerless to stop things.”

The small smile her uncle’s words had provided faded as she read on.

“I also fear I must relay some distressing news. Moving my sister and her child nearer to the capital was a mistake. Sonya is no longer the smiling woman I so admired when I was a child. I suppose I am no longer the sandy-haired boy she doted upon either but the truth fills me with great sadness. My sister has aged poorly. She is filled with anger and bitterness. The child is cold and hostile. I tell you this not to drag your spirits downward but so you will be aware of what I’ve found should you decide to meet the daughter now in Tyrell. The warning you sent to me kept me from moving them directly into the palace and I am thankful. Without your words, I might be dead for I have no doubt that my death would please both greatly.

“I also fear that their emergence has created quite a scandal in Narcine. People now speak aloud words they have long said in whispers and your lineage has become known. This creates a problem that I cannot solve to my satisfaction. I have long wished for you to have an official role in my government. Now, that is no longer possible. Your appointment would lend legitimacy to a family that wishes to create mayhem on our shores. I am not certain an unofficial role is even possible given the scurrilous words that many in power have chosen to use. I truly hope you will understand my predicament.

“I did not wish to convey this to you in a letter but Helga was concerned that you would think that she is the cause of my change of heart. That is not the case. She is among your strongest supporters and has enlisted the aid of many people (including our friends from across the water) to help me find a way to offer you all you deserve without aiding my sister and her children. You are such a resourceful girl that I determined it best to inform you of the situation and solicit your advice.

“Please know that regardless of how the future arrives, you will always be my pride and my happiness.

“Love always,

“Uncle Olaf”

Nadia put down the letter to find King Joseph looking at her intently. He had watched the emotions play over her face and saw a tear stream down her cheek. Nadia felt it and wiped it away.

“I’m sorry,” Joseph said sincerely.

“With a war looming I am surprised to learn that Lady Elena has time to impart the petty squabbles of a royal household in her reports,” Nadia said with real bitterness in her voice.

“I know nothing of what troubles you only that something does,” the king pointed out. “If I can help you or your uncle, please know that I will.”

“There is no help for a villainous family,” Nadia hissed. “It seems that everyone in Narcine knew of my birth but me. Now, since my mother and sister are nearby they have no difficulty in using this information against my uncle.”

“I see,” Joseph said – although he didn’t. “What can we do to alter the situation?”

“Nothing,” Nadia said as another tear slipped down her cheek. “My uncle ... the man that raised me and taught me ... has essentially disavowed me because of my true heritage.”

“I doubt that sincerely,” Joseph countered. “Your uncle has never struck me as the type to let public opinion stand in the way of doing what is right for your country. At least that is the impression I have of him ... mostly from you, I suppose.”

Nadia looked at the earnest face of the man across the desk from her.

“When I heard about your concept of ministers, I thought I had finally found a way to aid my uncle and ... and be recognized for my work,” Nadia said with a slight blush.

“That is one of the reasons I made the appointments official at our Court,” Joseph admitted. “I wished for those that give their very best to Azkoval to receive the praise he or she is due. No one can fault you for wishing to be noticed.”

“Now I will never be,” Nadia said. “My uncle says he is uncertain if I can have any affiliation with his house because of the deeds and words of my family.”

“I hasten to point out that these people are his family as well as yours,” Joseph noted.

“That is different,” Nadia answered immediately. “He rules by birthright. An adviser is answerable not only to the king but to the people. Choran said that to me. Everyone now knows my father is a pederast and an assassin. They know he attacked my sisters. They know that my uncle allowed him to live after attacking a strange child. I will always be a constant reminder of the people of King Olaf’s impotence. He’s correct. I cannot permit the shame of my father to fall unto his reign.”

“The man is being incredibly shortsighted,” Joseph said, shaking his head. “You know of the families of my advisers. Genrico’s father barely had two coppers to his name at any one time. Choran’s family is as common as they come. Alexander was cuckolded for 20 years and raised another man’s children without even know it. Jonathan is one of those children! We won’t even discuss the families of my closest friends. Do you believe I would be better served casting them aside?”

“Of course not,” Nadia said.

“Then I will say this to you now ... and I will write it to your uncle later this evening,” Joseph said firmly. “He is a fool if he permits a few narrow-minded men and women to tempt him into casting you aside. And I will tell you this ... and, again, I will write this to King Olaf: If he does not wish for you to help at his capital I will gladly accept you at mine. Anyone that has an issue with that is more than welcome to speak to me about it. But I would advise them to have their affairs in order beforehand.”

It was rare for the king to show emotion but his face was red and his fists clenched as he spoke.

“Things are somewhat different in Denaya than here,” Nadia replied, wondering why she was coming to her uncle’s defense after being pushed away. “Here, your rule is absolute. My country still has factions that oppose my uncle on general terms. He is marrying the daughter of one the leaders to help allay some of the problems but there are still one or two others that have pushed for separation.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.