The Rise of Azkoval
Chapter 44: A Procession of Fools

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

The castle began to fill up a week before Court was set to officially open. Joseph was forced to shake the hands and accept the curtseys of dozens of lords and ladies, their children and grandchildren, several brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews, the staff they brought with them and a host of other people that arrived in Tyrell – and expected the hospitality of the castle.

The first, of course, had arrived weeks earlier. Those that had stayed in local inns or in tents outside the gates made their way to the castle. Lydia and her staff performed yeoman’s duty and a place was found for everyone with a room reserved for the only landholder still absent – Lord Halversham.

Certainly some people were unhappy with their accommodations. Some believed their rooms to be too small; others thought them too far away from the king or the dining hall or the front door. Joseph had spread the pain around by forcing Jonathan, Elena, Alexander, Genrico and Choran to stand to at this side when the families arrived.

Lydia proudly wore the light blue ribbon on her white dress to signify her betrothal to Yerrick Hulett. The lord of Yerrick’s region was among the last to arrive, which worked to Joseph’s advantage.

In the interim, Franco had agreed to assume the role of mayor – and Yerrick had been promoted to Captain of the Home Guard – the highest civilian rank in the country.

Lord Hulett had arrived in the early morning – having been stuck outside the gates for the night. In truth, Yerrick had seen the man approaching and ordered the gates closed. Yerrick had worried that the king would be upset but Joseph had laughed aloud when Lydia had told him.

As it was, Captain Yerrick was visiting his fiancée when his former lord made his appearance with a wife, two sons and a daughter.

One of the sons recognized Yerrick immediately (the other’s eyes had drifted to the attractive female speaking to the man in the crisp uniform).

“Yerrick!” Roderick Hulett exclaimed.

“His title is Captain Yerrick Tyrell,” Joseph informed the newcomers. “He is the captain of my Home Guard and commands the force that polices our city.”

Lord Hulett blinked but Joseph saw a wide smile on Roderick’s face at the news.

“My apologies, Captain Tyrell,” the lord’s younger son said. “Congratulations on your rise. I am positive the news will cause much rejoicing in Hulett.”

“I hope, sir, you will allow us to deliver the news in person,” Lydia said.

“Allow me to introduce you to Lydia of Tyrell,” Joseph said. “She is governess of the castle – but, more importantly, she is Captain Tyrell’s betrothed.”

The young girl couldn’t suppress the giggle that escaped before her father silenced her with a glare.

“Well done, young Yerrick,” Lord Hulett said with a warmth that never reached his face.

“I should thank you for your machinations,” Joseph said in a voice so soft that only Lord Hulett and his wife could hear it. “Instead, I’ll warn you about seeking retribution against Yerrick’s family or his friends. Should I hear of it – and I will – things will go very badly for you. Enjoy your stay in Tyrell but I truly doubt that you will see much of us during your visit. Good day, Lord Hulett.”

Lydia had Celestine direct the lord and his wife to their chambers. Joseph noticed that older son joined his parents but the younger son and the daughter stopped to speak to Yerrick and Lydia. Both offered their hands and, it appeared, their congratulations.

Joseph made his way over to the pair when the Huletts had departed and put an arm around each of them. It was rare for him to touch Lydia in any fashion, forever conscious of what she’d asked of him on the ship a year before.

“I enjoyed that far more than I should have,” the king admitted.

“Thank you for ... everything,” Yerrick said. It still stunned him that the King of Azkoval never ceased to treat him as an equal.

“He means me,” Lydia said.

“As well he should,” Joseph said. “I am happy for you both. But, I do wish to point out that I have yet to receive my invitation to your nuptials.”

“We’re getting married in Hulett a month after Court ends,” Lydia said. “I told you that.”

“Yes,” Joseph said. “Does that fact preclude me from witnessing the joining of two people I dearly love?”

“You ... you want to come to our wedding?” Yerrick asked.

“Yes, thank you,” Joseph said. “I accept your invitation. I should tell you that the Hulett lands will see quite a celebration that night. Rucar refused to stay at the castle during Court. I believe he feared that he would kill most of the people as they entered. He is headed to Hulett to deliver my wedding present to your parents.”

“You did not need to give us a present!” Lydia said.

“I wanted to give you something,” Joseph said. “And, it isn’t for you. It is for Yerrick’s parents and siblings. It is from me and from Empress Yana. She brought several larger horses. She calls them draft horses. They are perfect for moving large objects – such as stone – and for pulling wagons. Yana has gifted your family with the horses. I have provided a pair of sturdy wagons for them to pull.”

“You’ve done so much for us already, King Joseph!” Yerrick protested.

“I will not hesitate to start listing all the things you two have done for me if you persist,” Joseph said. “My life is inexorably better – not to mention simpler – because of you and Lydia. I have a man to police the city that I trust completely. I have a woman to run the castle that is beyond amazing. I am also very proud of you both and I wish you nothing but happiness.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Yerrick said with feeling. “My family will appreciate your gift immensely. It will make their lives much better.”

“And it will make their business more profitable,” Joseph pointed out. “Jobs that used to take them a year will be done in four months. Very soon, your family will be wealthier than the lord and his companions. They will be the envy of every person in the area – particularly the young woman that scorned you.”

“She did me a service, Your Highness,” Yerrick said. “I am going to marry Lydia and live a life that we make together. I would not trade what I have now for what I might have had there. Certainly, I miss my family but, on horseback, the trip to Hulett will take us only two weeks.”

“One more thing and I will let you return to your duties,” Joseph said. “I have reserved seats at my table for the mayor and the Home Guard captain for the duration of Court. Of course, the mayor will bring his wife so you may bring a companion, as well. I assume that a dashing young man in uniform will be able to find someone to accompany him to evening meals.”

Lydia reached up and took Joseph’s nose between her fingers and held it firm. The laughter that burst from Joseph was genuine. The mirth produced tears in his eyes but he couldn’t stop.

Yerrick looked appalled at what was happening but made no move to stop Lydia.

“Stop picking on my future husband,” she scolded the king jokingly.

“Yes, Ma’am,” Joseph said. His voice was distorted and it came out as “Yeth, Ma’am.” That produced more laughter until Lydia finally released him.

“I had hoped that would stop you from doing that to my staff,” she said with a wide smile. “Now I fear I will have you doing it more frequently.”

“She said you told her it was better than grabbing her rump,” Joseph noted.

“It is,” Lydia said firmly. “Although, after you took her to meet the horses, she might be amendable if you touched her rump from time to time.”


“I look ridiculous,” Julia hissed. Despite her protests, Elizabeth had used her coin to purchase dresses for the several young women that lived (more or less) at the castle. The foursome that spent almost every day together also had boots with elevated heels to wear.

They had taken great care in perfecting their appearance and even Lucretia and Victoria had taken part in the primping session. Liala was the only one missing. She still had not returned and everyone – particularly Joseph – was starting to worry.

“I think you look lovely,” Octavia said.

“We are certainly going to turn many heads this evening,” Catherine noted.

“That is the plan,” Elizabeth said. “Half of the wealthiest bachelors in Azkoval are going to be in one room and we are going to make them all wish for our hands.”

“You are playing with fire,” Victoria warned – not for the first time.

“We’re not really going to make eyes at the men,” Julia insisted – not for the first time. “It’s mostly to see Joseph’s reaction.”

“What will you do if someone says something about our father?” Victoria asked.

“If it is hateful, I will probably agree with him,” Julia answered. “We are just going to dine with Joseph as normal. Court won’t officially start for five more days and he’s not planning anything until the official opening. He said there might be a minstrel show if they’ll perform without payment.”

“We’re just putting the harlots on notice that Joseph’s stable is already near capacity,” Octavia said with a smile.

“And so is that gown!” Elizabeth laughed. The bodice of Octavia’s dress was so tight that much of her milky white bosom spilled out over the top. Elizabeth had almost as much of her upper anatomy on display while Julia and Catherine wore dresses that fit more snugly on the bottom than decorum generally dictated. Most shockingly, all the material stopped at the knee, making the new shoes evident.

“I fear Mother is going to go into spasms,” Victoria said, shaking her head. She and Lucretia were dressed more demurely and Victoria had her light blue ribbon firmly affixed to her dress.

“She has been ... better ... recently,” Lucretia noted. “She no longer lectures me if I greet a male of the species. I’m not certain she is even coming this evening. She was resting when I left the room. By the way, I want to offer my thanks for leaving me with her until Liala returns.”

“I would apologize if I were sorry,” Victoria joked with her surrogate sister. “But, this gives me a way to see Genrico without her knowing how late I come to bed.”

“I’m going to wait out in the hallway and tell her,” Lucretia replied with a smile.

“It would serve her right,” Julia offered. “Victoria used to tell on me all the time.”

“Only when you tried to convince everyone it was me that did whatever you did!” Victoria protested. The young women were still joking with each other when they descended the staircase. Several of the lords and their progeny were in the outer chamber, hobnobbing with aristocrats they had never met or rarely saw.

As predicted, every male eye – and several sets belonging to females – turned in their direction.

The sergeant-at-arms struck the floor twice with his halberd to draw everyone’s attention.

“I present Princess Octavia of the House of Tussain, Mistress Elizabeth Burbridge, Miss Julia of Trimble, Miss Victoria of Larchman, Miss Lucretia of Trimble and Miss Catherine of Burbridge,” his voice boomed. The young ladies offered a polite curtsey to the sergeant and then to the room at large. Empress Yana saw the opportunity break away from a boring conversation and quickly made her way to the women.

“You simply exude class and charm,” she told the group. “The curtsey was lovely. It certainly put the other young women here to shame.”

“That’s our goal,” Octavia said with a smile. “Any word from Liala?”

“Not yet,” Yana replied. “She is a capable warrior and she is with many seasoned veterans. She is well. I am positive.”

Conversation stopped when the sergeant’s halberd sounded again.

“Lady Elena Westmont and Lord Jonathan Burbridge,” he intoned. Jonathan blanched slightly when he saw the attire worn by his sisters (both claimed and unspoken) but Elena beamed. She wished she had been daring enough to wear something as risqué. As Yana had done, she immediately made her way to the assembled group for a closer look.

Genrico, Choran and Alexander slipped into the room without the grand pronouncement and walked over. They were dressed far more formally than usual. Genrico offered his arm to his fiancée and she took it with a pleased smile.

“I hope you are not embarrassed, Father,” Elizabeth said.

“I’m not,” Alexander replied. “Every society needs someone to set the fashion. In years past, it was Queen Melina. Now it will be you and your friends. I think you all look lovely.”

“The king asks that all guests move to the state room where dinner is served,” the sergeant boomed. He had been selected because his voice was loud enough to cut though the expected noise. “The seating arrangements are noted with place cards at each seat.”

He moved from the stairwell and pushed open the doors to where several long tables were waiting. It took some doing but soon everyone found their assigned seats. The cabinet, Empress Yana, the group of young women, Franco and his wife and Lydia and Yerrick were assigned to sit at the table with Joseph – which caused a bit of grumbling from Lord Golrick, one of the few landholders to survive The Fall and Joseph’s ascension. He was seated well away from the head table. The closest tables to the front contained the landholders Joseph had appointed – former soldiers in his mercenary army.

“Arise please,” the sergeant said loudly. “I present, His Royal Highness, King Joseph of Azkoval, son of Welton and Melina of DuBront, grandson of Cyrus and Celia of DuBront and Darius and Beatrice of Grendol.”

If the women’s attire caused an uproar among the rest of the group, the king’s caused the same reaction from Octavia, Julia, Elizabeth and Catherine. He wore a flowing robe of deep red and a gold crown atop his head.

But it was more than his clothing that caused them to stare. It was his bearing. He walked into the room with his head held high and back straight. He took in the room without a hint of interest and stopped at the head of the first table.

“Be seated, please,” he said. The king remained on his feet until the last person had taken a chair and then motioned for the doors to be closed.

“Lords and Ladies, friends and honored guests, I welcome you to Tyrell and the seat of government for Azkoval,” Joseph said in grave tones. “Before we begin our meals, I would like to introduce some of the people in the room on whom I’ve come to rely. First, I would like to present the members of my cabinet. I have taken the step of formalizing my advisers with specific duties and specific titles. I will announce them in no particular order other than where they are seated. First, my longtime friend, Genrico Larchman. Many of you have known Genrico for as long as you’ve known me so you already know his qualifications to act as Azkoval’s first defense minister.”

Joseph went around the table, letting the rest of the room get a look at the people that ran Azkoval.

He introduced the foreign dignitaries (and described Octavia as the Marindar trade representative). Franco and Yerrick were both embarrassed to be highlighted (but Lydia and Franco’s wife beamed with pride). Lydia’s happiness lasted only until Joseph asked her to arise. Then Joseph surprised his friends (including Lucretia and Victoria) by asking them to arise and describing them as his confidantes and informal advisers. He let everyone put a face to the name and role before he asked the rest of the table to return to their seats.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.