Adam's Redoubt
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2018 by Hastings

As I leafed through the pages of my address book, I considered the type of people I wanted, and who would fit the bill. My first call went to my spotter in Afghanistan, Ted Fisher. We had been in contact off and on since I left the service, and I knew that he had also not reenlisted, and was now a sergeant with the Baltimore police swat team. I wanted him. That evening I made the call.

“Ted,” I said when he picked up, “this is Adam; I called because of that virus that’s all over the news. I think that things are going to get out of hand and...”

“We know Adam; the department has been placed on alert, and my father-in-law, who is the head of internal medicine at his hospital, has a contact at the CDC who told him things are getting out of control, and he should not believe the government spin. Nancy and I are taking the kids, and with her parents, we’re going to our cabin up at the lake to try and ride this thing out. We’ve stocked up with as much food, ammo, and meds as we can, and will be heading out tomorrow.” He went on to explain that a lot of cops had not reported to work and a lot of his neighbors were loading up their cars.

“I’ve got a better deal for you,” I explained. “You know that seven million bucks I told you I had? I spent almost all of it prepping for this. So forget the lake, load up your people and head to my place, it’s practically a fortress on a mountain.”

“I’ve got you on speaker,” Ted responded, “and Nancy and her folks, John and Jane Lowle, are all nodding their heads like crazy, so I guess that tomorrow or the next day we’ll be knocking on your door.”

“Ok, I’ll be expecting you. When you get to the tank just call me and I will come down to move it,” I said.

“Tank! Adam did you just say you have a tank?”

‘Yeah, aint cool,” I said with a chuckle. “See you all in a day or two.”

I then spent the next two hours making phone calls to others on my list. First, I ended up with retired gunny James Pierce, his wife Mary, his son Frank, his son’s wife Lynn, and their two kids, and his daughter and her husband, Rose and Parker Conner. Next, I got in touch with former Lance Corporal Roberto Velazquez. It took very little time to convince him and his wife that they and their two daughters, Ana and Mia, would be much more secure at my place. The rest of my list either turned me down, or could not be contacted. I went to bed planning to go to town in the morning to get some bunk beds. I planed to set up a boys room and a girls room for the bunch of kids I had coming.

When I went to town the next morning, I was amazed that most people were so complacent. It seemed that decades of big brother government had convinced even most of these hardy mountain people that the government would take care of everything. Africa and Europe were in chaos, many US cities were out of control, and most people still believed the government’s pronouncements. All I could think was that it’s true; denial is not just a river in Egypt.

I went to the local big box store and purchased four sets of bunk beds, linens for them, and five more big chest freezers. All would be delivered tomorrow, and were paid for with a credit card. I was surprised that the credit system still worked.

I then went to the supermarket, purchase a dozen of their largest ice chests and all the fresh meat I could. I figured that with ice, I could keep the meat fresh until the new freezers were set up.

As I was checking out, I noticed some old friends from high school who seemed to have the right attitude about the crises. They were stocking up on canned goods, rice, pasta, dried beans, powered milk, and much else that had a long shelf life. One was Samantha, a girl I had dated for two years, the others were Frank and Tammy Gordon who had been a year ahead of me in school and married right after graduation. We all looked at each other and our purchases. We then gave each other a grim smile and a nod. We each recognized the others as realist who knew what was coming down the pike, and were preparing as best we could.

“We should talk,” I said to them. “Meet me across the street at Mickey D’s after you check out.” I got nods from all of them.

Once we were all settled in at a table with coffee or sodas, Frank spoke up first.

“What’s up Adam, we haven’t seen you off the mountain of yours for some time, but there have been a lot of deliveries going up the mountain to your place,” he said. Frank was a patrol sergeant with the local police department.

I looked at each of them and said, “I expected things to go to hell several years ago. I didn’t know what exactly, but I just knew something was coming. You all know that I got millions from that jerk who killed my mom, well; I spent most of it prepping. I’m now as prepared as anyone can be to survive for years, me and a small group.”

At that all their eyes opened wide. Frank was the first to respond. “And you asked us to meet with you because...”

“I want to offer you and your families’ refuge in Fort North. I have tons of food and supplies, my own inexhaustible power supply, acres of food planted, chickens, goats, rabbits, a few pigs, and defenses I’ve been working on for years, how about it? You all seem to have a realistic grasp on what is going on, and what has to be done. Working together will better all our chances. So?”

Tammy spoke up first. “Me and the kids are in; we’ll load up our stuff and be at your place sometime tomorrow. If Frank knows what’s good for him, he’ll be with us.”

Frank burst out laughing, “She who must be obeyed, has spoken,” he said.

Samantha interjected, “I’m living with my sis and her two boys...”

“Bring them along,” I responded. “I’ve got lots of room and lots of food.”

“I’ll check with her, but she’s no fool, and what you’re offering is, by far, better than anything we could do on our own.”

“So then, it’s all set, let’s get it done, you guys move up the mountain tomorrow. Remember I have lots of room and storage space, so bring whatever you want. Now, I’ve got to get that load of meat stowed and see what else I can add to my stockpile. See you tomorrow. Oh, by the way, when you get to the tank blocking the road, just call me and I’ll come down and move it.”

“No shit, exclaimed Frank, “you gotta tank! How the hell did you do that?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.