CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA - Cover

CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA

 

Chapter 22

“I plan to ask her to marry me at graduation, not to marry me at graduation. I know many teenagers as well as older folks seem to think two or three months is plenty of time to be engaged. I hope to be engaged for two full years so when we turn twenty, that year’s McArthur Family BBQ could become our Wedding Day.”

“I know you usually hold it in June, Sarah, but that year it could be the Sunday between my and Claire’s birthday’s in July. Could that be planned? Maybe you can get that dunk tank — if you reserve it now,” I said with a bit of sarcasm in my voice.

They both laughed, with Mom snorting so much, I thought she was going to hyperventilate. When they all calmed down they both gave me a super hug saying, “Slick Charles strikes again.”

The girls came downstairs and were wondering why we were hugging so much.

“I just love everybody so much. I was embarrassed to say it in front of my girls. Come on K; let’s go get that story ‘Song of the South.” You are going to love Brer Fox, Brer Bear, and Brer Rabbit. I do voices — if you want.”

Kalista grabbed my arm and walked with me into the living room. Claire, Annie, and Sarah all came in as well shaking their heads and singing out loud,

“Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay{
Mister Bluebird on my shoulder
It’s the truth, it’s actch will
Ev’rything is satisfactch will
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!”

I had gotten K in my arms, even though she was nearly too big for them, and put her down in her bed.

“Are you still going to tell me a story, Charles?”

“Of course, I am, Special K. I am going to try to do voices, Brer Fox will be Chris Rock and Brer Rabbit will be Roger Rabbits voice. My voice will be the narrator, is that OK?”

“Perfect,” she said with her bed sheets up over her shoulders.

NARRATOR
I am going to tell you a story about Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. But first, you ought to know a thing or two about rabbits and foxes.

Rabbits and foxes just never seem to get along. This is probably because foxes are always trying to make a meal out of rabbits, and rabbits are always trying to outfox foxes.

Brer Rabbit was the craftiest rabbit ever to cross a fox’s path. Brer Fox was always trying to catch Brer Rabbit, but Brer Rabbit always had a trick up his sleeve.

One day, Brer Fox decided to get Brer Rabbit once and for all. Brer Fox knew that Brer Rabbit liked to go over to the farmer’s garden every day for carrots and cabbages.

Brer Fox decided to hide behind a big tree on the road to the garden and wait for Brer Rabbit to pass. The tree was on the edge of a briar patch, full of bushes with thorns and burrs.

“I am a-gonna wait right here for that sneaky rabbit an’ cook ‘im up in a rabbit stew!” said Brer Fox, proud of his sneaky plan.

(Both girls giggled at my mediocre impersonation)

Soon, Brer Rabbit came hippity-hopping down the road to the garden. Brer Fox jumped out from behind the tree and grabbed him up as quick as he could.

“I am a-gonna brew a stew out of you, Rabbit!” said Brer Fox.

Brer Rabbit had to do some fast talking. “You can cook me up in a big ol’ pot an’ serrrve me for dinner, but ppplease don’t throw me into dat briar patch yonder!” cried Brer Rabbit.

Brer Fox thought for a moment. “Now, maybe dat stew would be too much bother for me. I am a-gonna roast you up, instead!”

“You can fire up your ol’ stove an rrroast me an’ serve me up with fffried taters, but ppleeease don’t throw me in dat briar patch?” pleaded Brer Rabbit.

This was starting to sound like a lot of work to Brer Fox. He really just wanted to get that rabbit out of his hair once and for all. “Naw, your scrawny hide ain’t worth troublin’ over. I am jus’ gonna string you up from that ol’ hick’ry tree an’ git you outta my hair,” said Brer Fox.

“String me up an’ let me swing, but whatever you do, ppplease don’t throw me into that terr’ble briar patch!” cried Brer Rabbit.

Suddenly, Brer Fox knew just the thing to do. “Seems to me jus’ about the worst thing I kin do is throw you into dat ol’ briar patch, Rabbit,” said Brer Fox.

“An’ dat’s jus’ what I am a-gonna do!” And with that, Brer Fox swung Brer Rabbit over his head and threw him into the middle of the briar patch.

“Yow! Oh, I am a-gonna die!” yowled Brer Rabbit as he sailed through the air.

But as soon as he landed in the briar patch, all Brer Fox could hear was Brer Rabbit hee-hawing and guffawing in gigglement. Brer Fox knew he’d been had agin.

“Oooohhhh, Mister Fox, you shoulda known better! Y’see, I was born in dis here briar pppppatch! I am as happy as a crawfish in a rrriver bed!” said Brer Rabbit.

Brer Fox was hoppin’ mad. “I got to git dat rabbit good, once an’ for all. He’s a-goin’ to Miss Goose’s birthday party tomorrow, so I am a-gonna make real friendly-like, an’ go an’ walk over to dat party with him. An’ when we git to crossin’ the river, I am a-gonna throw dat rabbit in! He’ll be gone for good, sure as shootin’!”

(I cleared my threat and the girls waited for me to continue ... I was having fun!)

The next day, Brer Rabbit was at his house getting all spruced up for Miss Goose’s party. When he saw Brer Fox come a-trottin’ up his path, he wrapped himself up in a blanket and acted real sick-like.

“What’s all this moanin’ about, Rabbit?” asked Brer Fox.

“Oh, I am sick as an ol’ dawg, Mister Fox. I ain’t a-gonna make it to Miss Goose’s pppparty after all,” sighed Brer Rabbit.

“This is a-gonna help wit’ my plan jus’ fine,” thought Brer Fox. He said to Brer Rabbit, “Now, you know you gonna be sorry if you miss dat party, Rabbit. I decided dat I am a-gonna carry you.”

“You are mighty kind, Mister Fox. But surely, I couldn’t ride on your back without a saddle,” said Brer Rabbit sneakily. Brer Fox went off to find a saddle. While he was gone, Brer Rabbit picked some flowers for Miss Goose and hid them under his blanket.

Brer Fox came back wearing a saddle. “Up you go,” he said.

“You are mighty kind, Mister Fox, but surely I couldn’t ride along in dis saddle without havin’ a bridle to steer you along,” said Brer Rabbit.

While Brer Fox went to fetch a bridle, Brer Rabbit rummaged around in his closet to find a brown paper bag. “I am a-gonna give that fox a surprise he’ll never forgit. He thinks he can outfox me, but I am the foxiest rabbit this side of the Mississippi,” Brer Rabbit said with chuckleness.

When Brer Fox returned, he was wearing a bridle as well as the saddle. He was all ready to go just like an old horse at the starting gate.

“Rabbit,” he said, “Miss Goose ain’t a-gonna take it kindly if we’re late for her party. You climb on up here now, an’ let’s git a-goin’.” He chuckled to himself, thinking that soon he would be rid of that rabbit forever.

“You are terrible kind to an ol’ sick rabbit like me, Mister Fox,” said Brer Rabbit with a groan. He climbed into the saddle, and they were on their way.

Soon they came to the river. As Brer Fox stepped onto the bridge he thought, “I am a-gonna throw that buggery rabbit off into kingdom come. Yep, this is just the spot.”

But Brer Rabbit was ready for Brer Fox’s sneaky trick. As soon as he felt Brer Fox stop over the middle of the river, he filled the paper bag with air. He said, “What you stoppin’ for, Mister Fox?”

“I am a-gonna throw you into kingdom come, Rabbit!” yelled Brer Fox.

“Oh, no you are not. Giddddy up!” shouted Brer Rabbit. And with that, he popped that bag right over Brer Fox’s ears.

“Yeeeeoooow!” shrieked Brer Fox. He thought a hunter had taken a clean shot at him. He jumped up in the air like a mad grasshopper and took off down the other side of the bridge.

Brer Fox galloped toward Miss Goose’s house with Brer Rabbit hanging on to the saddle and yodeling all the way.

“Giddddy up, you ol’ nag!” cried Brer Rabbit. Poor Brer Fox just kept on galloping along past the briar patch, past the farmer’s garden, past the duck pond, and right up to Miss Goose’s house.

Miss Goose, Miss Sheep, and Miss Pig had heard Brer Rabbit yodeling from a long way off. When Brer Fox came galloping up with Brer Rabbit on his back, they thought they had never seen anything so funny.

“Whoa!” shouted Brer Rabbit as Brer Fox galloped up to Miss Goose’s house. Brer Fox skidded to a stop and flopped on the ground right on the doorstep.

“Aft’noon, ladies,” said Brer Rabbit as he climbed down. “I am very sorry for bein’ late, but my ol’ horse here jus’ don’t run like he used to.”

Miss Goose, Miss Sheep, and Miss Pig burst with gigglement. They thought Brer Rabbit sure got Brer Fox good this time.

Poor old Brer Fox sat in the front yard of Miss Goose’s house, sputtering and gluttering and catching his breath. He was so mad he could spit.

“That rabbit tricked me good dis time. I don’ know how I am a-gonna do it, but I am a-gonna git dat rabbit one day, once an’ for all,” he fumed.

Brer Fox felt a little bit better after tasting Miss Goose’s birthday cake.

Ever since that day, ol’ Brer Fox has kept trying to outsmart Brer Rabbit. And ever since that day sneaky Brer Rabbit has been just one step ahead of Brer Fox.

So if you ever see a rabbit hopping around in a briar patch, or if you glimpse a fox snooping around a farmer’s garden, it just might be crafty ol’ Brer Rabbit and sneaky ol’ Brer Fox trying to outfox each other again.

I turned to see both girls sound asleep, and I gave them both kisses on the forehead.

The next Cotillion was a blast. Kalista and I had performed “Hate On Me” for everyone there, which made Jimmy proud. Sarah even had a twinkle in her eye, as we hugged when it was over.

Next on the agenda were final preparations for Kalista and my date. We shortened rehearsals down to twenty-five minutes long, with five-minute breaks for any and all purposes. After all the ladies had a go, we took an extended break, with Claire and Sarah alternating giving my back a good deep rub, to keep it from tightening up.

Sarah was actually trying to explain to Claire, how the muscles, nerves and bones were all connected, so Claire could do more than just rub my back in the future.

Yeah, way more!!!

Everybody seemed satisfied that they were getting enough practice time with me. After lunch, I got up and asked Sarah if she knew how to Waltz. We hadn’t specifically practiced that dance together before. She said she knew a little from watching Claire and me and remembered a few steps from dancing with her husband.

Claire picked up my phone to see what I have downloaded recently, and she looked over to me and nodded her OK. I saw her eyes glistening.

“OK, Sarah — Let’s cover some Waltz steps for the next time I give you and Mr. McArthur a lesson, all right?”

“Sure, Honey-Buns,” she said with a smile.

Ignoring that, we covered the Closed Changes, Natural and Reverse Turn, and the Whisk, keeping it simple. Sarah was easily as quick a study as Claire — but not quite as quick as Kalista.

“You want to try this to music, my dear?” I said to Sarah.

“Certainly, Charles. What music are we dancing to?” she replied.

“Something I downloaded recently, remember Jerry Vale?”

“Yes, I do. What a beautiful tenor voice he had ... what song?”

I nodded to Claire, who’d hooked my phone into the sound system and started “Sunrise Sunset”

JERRY VALE
“Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don’t remember growing older,
when — did — they?”

Sarah put her head on my shoulder as we danced, very close together.

“When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn’t it yesterday, when
they — were — small?”

She looked up at me and mouthed ‘Thank you.’ I heard her quietly singing along.

“Sunrise, sunset, Sunrise, sunset...
Swiftly flow the days.
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers,
Blossoming even as we gaze.”

We heard my mother singing along.

“Sunrise, sunset, Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years...”

I finished, giving Sarah a turnout and in, which we’d done before, and the song was finished. I heard sobs all around me, including Kalista.

Sarah looked into my eyes and gave me a soft kiss, and we hugged each other as well. She said, “Maybe we can get the Palace Orchestra to play that for us, when we get there the day after tomorrow?”

“That’s a great idea,” Annie said coming over and hugging Sarah.

Claire took the opportunity to give me a clinch and a kiss, although her kiss had a different kind of effect on me.

She said quietly, “That was really nice of you to dance that song with her. She’s always loved that song, no matter who sang it. When she found out it was our first dance in competition, she cried just like now. You are really the best boyfriend in the whole world, you know?”

“BREAK!”

The break included homemade snickerdoodle cookies made by Sarah and Kalista, and they were yummy, as were the cookies!

Sarah, Claire, and Kalista had to leave to replenish their ‘go-bags’ so it was just Annie and I for an hour or so. I was a little tired, so I sat down and kicked off my shoes.

Mom came out of the kitchen and sat by me, telling me to take off my socks, so she could give me a foot rub. She had done this before many times for me. She told me Dad used to really like them and then she broke down, sobbing.

“Mom don’t cry ... he left you, but you are a much stronger person today compared to back then. I remember the day he called you while we were at the Rising Star competition. That tells you what a mealy-mouthed miscreant he was. When you channeled that initial rage, and told off those WEDCO gentlemen, I was as proud of you as I had ever been in my entire life!”

“Honey, thank you. I am sorry for being angry before, I just felt a little wounded, you telling Sarah about your future proposal to Claire, before telling me.”

“Mom, I was worried for Sarah. She’s always checking to see where Kalista is and how much affection Claire and I are expressing to one another. I just felt the necessity to explain how deep my love is for all of you ladies, specifically Claire and Kalista.”

“And where does Kalista fit into these future plans of yours, Charles?” she asked, rubbing the bottom of my feet with the palm of her hand.

“Oooh, that feels so nice! You know Mom, I am uncertain about that. Thinking ahead a little, if that’s all right with you, maybe ten years ahead. I see Claire and I married, possibly with a grandchild or two. Relax mom, I haven’t said anything about any of this scenario to anybody else.”

“I don’t know where we may be living. That would depend on what University we attend, I suppose? Maybe we don’t even go on to college; we could become Professional Dancers at eighteen, or twenty, and start dancing all around the world, winning trophy after trophy, getting you your fifteen percent to spend on yourself.”

That made Mom chuckle a little. Her face went ashen when I mentioned children; again, when I talked about not going to college.

“Mom, remember this is all speculation. No plans are made, outside of my proposal on graduation day, OK? Do you have any ideas along the lines of ‘What about Kalista?’ I feel that leaving town to go to college is tantamount to abandoning her. You know how much and why I care for her; any ideas would be helpful?”

Putting down my feet, having finished her massage, she said, “Well, she will be in your wedding party, as Claire’s Maid of Honor. She will be fourteen by then, so maybe she’ll have found a boy of her own. If she’s over her crush on you ... if not she’ll probably be crying all through your wedding ceremony, and sobbing in my or Sarah’s arms, saying that she has nothing to live for.”

“Mom, what you think is funny, ISN’T!”

She looked at me with a knowing smile.

“K is so special to me – I just don’t know what to do about her? Let’s run another scenario. Something, I don’t even want to think about, happens to Claire. So, ten years from now, I am twenty-four, Kalista’s nineteen. We can dance together now in competitions; we could get married, have children — I don’t know.”

“The hardest part of this scenario is that for it to happen, something horrible would have to happen to Claire. Ohhhh, Mom ... if something happened to Claire, my whole world would be shattered! I am sorry if I am sounding melodramatic, but sometimes I think of these things and I just can’t sleep.” I was quietly sobbing.

“Charles, come on and sit on the floor in front of me. Face the TV and take off your shirt. I am going to give you a deep tissue massage, like I used to give your father.”

“My goodness, Charles – all of your dancing certainly has made you quite buff,” she said.

I blushed, although she couldn’t see it.

“Sorry Charles. Now, this is very likely to put you to sleep or at least relax you from some of your worries. A fourteen-year-old boy shouldn’t have as many troubless as you do. Come on; scoot over in front of me, all the way.”

I was now in a position for her to do this. I know she did this for Dad a lot, so I figured why not, and I tried to relax. I closed my eyes and leaned my head forward.

She started at the base of the back of my neck, using her thumbs to exert pressure. Oooh my, it felt so good, almost like when Claire gives me one of her special kisses. Mom spread her hands to massage the tops of my shoulders, which felt fabulous, and I heard a click in both of my shoulders.

“Don’t worry honey, your father had the same thing. It’s some kind of floating cartilage or something. Relax Charles, does this feel as good as when Sarah did it for you after your fall?”

“I would have to say she directed her hand pressure, so that the pain dissipated quickly, while what you are doing actually is quite relaxing and comforting. Oooohhhhhh, Momma – that really feels great.”

“Charles, I need to tell you that I may accidentally cause you to have ‘your problem’ again, so at any point if this massage gets strange or you get ‘aroused,’ let me know, and I will move my hands so it doesn’t exacerbate your situation.”

“Oh Mom, when you say, exacerbate like that, it really turns me on.” I felt a light slap on the top of my head.

“Thanks Mom, I needed that. I didn’t want you to think Sarah was getting all of my love,” I said with a snicker.

This time the slap was on my back.

“Thanks, this massage does feel very nice.” I gave her a thumbs up, as I started to fall asleep.

Her hands were now on my shoulder blades, and I was occasionally moaning rather loudly. Mom leaned over and calmly said in a wonderfully soothing voice, “Relax, think of your dances, all the steps you know, all the dances you have performed, with your CASK -- Claire, Annie, Sarah and Kalista.”

“Now think of dancing at your wedding, think about the first dance you dance with your bride, then your mother.”

The McArthurs coming through the door woke me up. I quickly pulled on my shirt, socks, and shoes, and welcomed everyone ‘home.’

I heard a wolf whistle from Sarah; however, Claire gave her a nasty look.

“Everybody, here’s my plan for the rest of the afternoon. Starting with Claire, we go over all our dances, until they’re as polished as possible. I figure ninety minutes each; then Annie, the same thing, then Sarah and finally Kalista. If we don’t get through everybody this afternoon, we’ll take up tomorrow wherever we have left off — Everybody OK with that?”

They all agreed.

I reminded the ladies of two important facts; the songs we had been practicing may not be on his set list that night, and they will undoubtedly sound different because different orchestras were involved.

That prompted Sarah to walk up to me and say, “Even if none of the songs I practiced to are played Charles, I have had a blast getting to know you better, and learning more about you, and what makes you tick.”

Sarah gave me a kiss, and Claire said, “Just remember mother, he’s my boyfriend ... not yours.”

“I know, but a girl can dream, can’t she?” Sarah sighed with a pout on her face.

Everybody, but Claire, laughed out loud.

I gulped a little.

Hurray — Date Night has arrived!

Everyone was dashing about, fighting over bathrooms and such. We would be picking up the rest of them at the McArthurs; our final guest list is as follows:

Kalista, Sarah, and Daniel McArthur, Josiah McArthur and Cassandra Wickers, Brian and Shirley Fleming, Susan Williams, Antoinette Newman, and Charles Newman and Claire McArthur; and a last-minute replacement — Jimmy Bradshaw.

It was time for all of us to gather in the living room. Annie looked magnificent in a shimmering dress of navy blue, with a bit of cleavage showing, her hairstyle up off her neck, with some bling, of course, to finish it off.

Sarah had on a Kelly-green dress, with a plunging neckline, which made me ... a little nervous. Her red hair was down, with a small gem in it, just above her right ear. She had on the proper amount of bling as well, including a pearl necklace, which made me look!

Yours truly had on his first nice three-piece suit. It was deep navy blue and I had a maroon colored tie. I convinced my mother to get me a new pair of wingtips, the first lasted through a lot of dancing, but this event was important.

I got them before hand to break them in, so they wouldn’t break me tonight. Sarah gave me a haircut, and even if I do say so myself, I looked good, but nothing to compare to my ladies, my CASK.

I may have Sarah always cutting my hair; her hands felt really soft, and the view was ... outstanding. She may have enjoyed it just as much as I had!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.