CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA - Cover

CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA

 

Chapter 7

“You had me worried there for a minute, Tiger,” she said giving me a new nickname. “I thought I felt your hands moving towards my butt.”

“They did ... a little, but I was in control of my hands the whole time, OK Love.”

“OK Love,” she repeated quietly.

Jimmy told us that during the next week we would likely still be working on the Tango and Cha-Cha. Claire and I only needed to refine our steps and learn a few more. We must keep Jimmy satisfied.
====
It was Saturday night, and Annie and Sarah picked up Brian and Susan first, then Claire and we went to the President’s Elementary School gymnasium.

The gym was decorated in a multitude of the colors of summer. Streamers were everywhere. The place sure was loud. Both of our Moms were staying as chaperones keeping an eye on all the kids. They were both dressed in very beautiful dresses. I felt Sarah’s eyes on Claire and me most of the evening.

The dance floor they put on top of the basketball court was huge. The International Dance Panic Signal should be used a lot. I had reminded Brian of it. The only dancing I wasn’t prepared for was when a 60s Rock and Roll song came along. Claire helped me ‘get my groove on’ as she called it.

It was recorded music, likely due to not having the budget to get a live band or group to come and play.

When “Kiss from a Rose” by Seal, came on, I took Claire out like we were at a competition:

There used to be
a greying tower
alone on the sea
You became the light
on the dark side of me
Love remained a drug
that’s the high and not the pill
But did you know
that when it snows
My eyes become large
and the light that
you shine can be seen?

Baby, I compare you to a
kiss from a rose on the grey
Ooh, the more I get of you,
the stranger it feels, yeah
Now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the grey

She gave me a light kiss — we started our Waltz, moving and making a bigger circle as we went. The other kids were moving back giving us the room we needed to show off. All eyes were on us. They were all swaying to the music in their couples.

My eyes were locked on Claire throughout the entire song, even though I knew all the kids had stopped to watch us. I had taught her the Natural Spin Turn only five minutes before we left for the dance. That move had all the kids saying, ‘Look at that,’ and ‘Aren’t they wonderful?’ and my favorite, ‘Who’s that dancing with Claire?’”

We used the whole area the kids made for us; trying a new side-by-side step we had barely covered a few days before. I put up my hand and we finished alongside the song – timing it perfectly.

The whole auditorium broke into serious applause. Man, that feels so good, for people to appreciate what you have worked hard to learn something.
====
All the other boys came up to me patting my back. This was at Claire’s school — President’s Elementary. Many of the girls including older ones came up to her wanting to find out whom I was and where she learned to dance like that.

I stole my girl away from the flock of girls who had surrounded her and escorted her to the ante hall of the auditorium with my mother slowly following us. I looked over at her and nodded. She nodded back with two fingers showing.

Claire wouldn’t be stopped any longer and I welcomed it. She grabbed me and kissed me, a very soft and loving kiss. I responded by kissing her just as lovingly. I kept my hands on her hips the whole time. She had put her hands in my coat pockets.

She pulled from me and said, “Oh — my — goodness, Tiger. Wasn’t that amazing? The way that everyone stopped dancing, making room for us and watching us dance.”

There’s that truly magnificent smile again.

“I know how you feel, CC. While we were dancing, nothing else mattered in the world to me. I heard the music and all I saw was my only true love — You!”

This time, I initiated the kiss. I heard the door open and Sarah beckoned us back in.

Annie said, “You two have got to start entering dance competitions!” She came up to us and told Claire to clean me up.

Claire smiled at her and said as her Mom joined us, “Thanks Annie. I feel so wonderful when I am dancing with this handsome son of yours. All I see is him, all I hear is music and all I feel is...”

“ ... Be really careful about expressing how you two feel for one another,” Annie interrupted, “especially when you are around others. I have kind of gotten used to it. Sarah here, is — getting there, but around school friends and especially other adults, be very cautious.”

“Let’s get something to drink, OK, beautiful girl?”

“Whatever you want, X. Thanks, Annie. I am beginning to see you as much as I see my own Mother,” my redhead grinned and giggled.

Sarah did as well. Sarah took me and gave me a nice tight hug, saying, “I wish I were a teenager again!”

Whoa!

The rest of the evening went quite well. We had danced most every dance together. I danced a Tango, once with Susan. Nevertheless, Brian, while dancing with Claire hovered near us, making sure nothing ‘happened’ between us. I did take a moment to quietly tell Susan how lovely she looked, and she smiled at me in return.

The evening went on until midnight, giving us a chance to dance all night long.
====
Going home at the end of the evening, was nice, as our girls talked all the way to Susan’s house. Brian got out taking her to her front door, and after they both fidgeted a little, they had a kiss.

The car door opening, caused Brian to come back to the car. He was blushing a bit but got in as we headed to the McArthur home.

I helped both of them out and walked both to their front door, getting a kiss on the cheek, and a light hand squeeze from Sarah who let herself in the house, leaving us outside.

I turned to hide from the eyes in the car, and after a most lovely kiss, I said, “I love you so much, Claire.”

“The feeling is mutual, Mr. Newman. See you on Tuesday, if not before that.”

We had a final kiss with hands on each other’s waists. I might be willing to lower them to her butt, but not yet!
====
RING

“Hello, Claire.”

“How did you know it was me, Tiger?”

“I had been thinking about you and the dance last night. I was getting ready to call you to find out when you wanted to practice again,” I said with my heart hoping it might be very soon.

She replied, “You read my mind, all right. The last time was at my place. Let me find out who can take me to you?”

She had put down the phone. ‘Take me to you,’ she responded. What am I supposed to do? I love her. However, I am only days from turning thirteen. Oh crap! Crap, crap, crap on a stick. Just have some patience, Charles. She’s only ‘untouchable’ for a while longer.

“I can be there in about half an hour ... is that all right,?”

“Si, fino a quando ci incontriamo di nuovo, Clara” (Certainly, until we meet again).

“Ti Amo. Carlo.”
====
The next few weeks went by too quickly, we were coming up on Claire’s 13th birthday, on Tuesday July 23rd, 2012, which was a small BBQ for only the Newmans, McArthurs, Williams, and Flemings. No games and no outside dance floor. Fortunately, Dad couldn’t be there ... making it a wonderful time, with two kinds of BBQ ribs added to the usual menu.

While she got nice things and enjoyed herself, when my girl opened my present, she cried before she could show it off. It was a silver necklace with CLAIRE in cursive letters.

She held up her hair and I put it on here, followed by my giving her a slight kiss on the back of her neck in front of everyone.

Agreeing to dance inside, her brothers moved a few pieces of furniture around, and Russell played a few pieces of Waltz music, with my girl asking me to dance, and we listened and danced to the Johnny Mathis version of, ‘The Sweetheart Tree.’
====
Five days later, I walked outside and saw Robert driving away and saw Claire walking up to the front porch with a package in her hands, “Miss me?”

“Every minute of every day, pretty girl.”

“Oh brother,” Annie said, interrupting us, “Sometimes you two sound like you just left a romance novel.”

With that, I said in a quite clumsy Antonio Banderas accent, “Alas, my beloved Clarisima — I was counting the minutes, until we could see each other again.”

Claire giggled and responded with, “My beloved Charles, my heart stops beating whenever I don’t see you. Come — feel my heart beating, deep inside me.”

Mom just stood there, shaking her head and said, “Charles. Aren’t you going to bring Claire inside?”

As I walked by her, I took her hand for a quick moment and said, “Best Mom ever.”

That got Claire’s hackles up. She leaned into me and gave me a very little kiss and said, “Remember?”

My mom asked, “Remember what, Charles?”

“I don’t have a clue, Mom? Sometimes, I just don’t get the female sex at all.”

That got me a slap from Annie on the shoulder and a love tap on the back of my head from Claire.

“Hey, no fair — I have been double-teamed. What’s in the wrapped package?”

“Isn’t today your birthday?” she asked.

“Yes, I have opened the presents from my mom and siblings last night at dinner. You didn’t have to get me anything,” I said. (I got a variety of things from my brother and sisters, and my dad gave me, five crisp new one hundred-dollar bills, then left to go back to work.)

“But I wanted to. My mother took me shopping the other day and I picked out this myself.”

I opened it, and saw three different tie clasps, with one having an orange ruby as part of it. I told her how much I loved it, handing the package to my mom, giving my girl a kiss for it. I wished mom hadn’t been right next to us, because I wanted to give Claire a really big kiss.

Mom cleared her throat to break us up. Claire grabbed my arm and walked to the middle of the living room. “What are we practicing, X?”
====
Our first practice since we both became teenagers!

“First, I want to learn a couple of new Quickstep moves. The Forward Lock and The Natural Turns. Let’s go over them first without any music.”

I covered both steps, along with the transitions from one to the other, then put on “Little Brown Jug,” the Glenn Miller version, and we danced. Once again, it went quite well.
====
You may wonder why and how I know so much about music from the 40s and 50s?

Until I got my smart phone, I had a record player in my room, and all we had were music of the older era. Thank goodness for that!

I would start either a platter of 45s or LPs as I went to bed, listening and falling asleep. I invariably woke up to go to the bathroom, and I turned it off and went back to sleep.

I still have the record player, but now I can listen to my phone play music until I fall asleep.
====
When ‘Little Brown Jug’ was over, my mom came out of the kitchen saying, “Looking online, I found a ‘Junior I’ dance competition in Cincinnati. It’s about two hours away by car. It’s sanctioned by the NDCA, the National Dance Council of America. They are the Official Governing Council of Dance and DanceSport in the USA.”

She went on to say, “You will need to get registered with them to dance in the Amateur competitions, but you can register the day of it.”

The shrieker returned!

Claire gave me a tight close-up hug and said to me, “Could we, Charles? Are we good enough? What do we dance? What do we wear? Omg, Charles — a competition!”

Mom answered, “It’s only twenty bucks per participant. What you wear at Cotillion is fine. Charles could wear his coat. Of course, you two are good enough. Claire, call your mother about this. It’s in two days. It’s an area event ... top three in each class gets trophies.”

“We can find out just how good we are, CC,” I said as we were still in each others arms.

She pulled my phone from my pocket, found her number and called home.

I couldn’t hear her, but I watched her on the phone. It was quite the sight. I could tell when she was explaining, I could tell when she was trying to make her point and then it happened.

“Yaaaayyyy–Charles! My mom says it’s all right. Annie, please?”

She’s actually asking permission to give me one right on the kisser ... OMG, indeed!

Chuckling, Mom said, “All right,” and turned away putting two fingers up. Claire was so excited she put her hands on either side of my face and pulled me towards her and the kiss had started.

Boy, I hope I am the only person she’s kissing, but I would swear she’s getting better at it at an alarming pace. Did she just open her lips? My mother turned back towards us, just as Claire was cleaning off my lips with her finger. She smiled showing off her dimples.

Is there a word stronger than love?

“Besides registering for the competition, you must both become members of the NDCA, which you can do online. It costs twenty dollars for a year’s membership,” Annie mentioned. “I think you are very good and should do really well, but I suggest you practice the traditional ballroom dances. You know, the Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango and Cha-Cha. You must provide your own music, with or without vocals, no longer than three and one-half minutes long.”

Claire and I turned toward each other and said, “Waltz,” at the same time. That made both my mom and Claire giggle. I may have also.

“MUSIC,” I yelled. “We have to pick out our music first. I am going through this entire collection. Claire, you look through the music on your phone. You may have something that works.”

“OK, X. Thank you Annie for telling us about the dance competition,” Claire said, stopping to give her a nice hug.

“I found it, the perfect song for us: ‘The Tennessee Waltz,’ by Patti Page. Let’s listen to see if it’s slow enough...”

MISS PATTI PAGE
I was dancing
with my darling
to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend
I happened to see


I introduced her
to my loved one
And while they were dancing
My friend stole
my sweetheart from me

I remember the night
and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how
much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darling
the night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz

(There was an interlude – trumpet and snare)

I was dancing
with my darling
to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend
I happened to see
Introduced her
to my loved one
And while they
were dancing
My friend stole
my sweetheart from me
I remember the night
and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how
much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darling
the night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz

We both loved this song. Then, we listened again; timing it, to see how long it went. It was just under three minutes: 2:52 — Perfect.

“Mom, should we learn a routine, or just wing it?” I asked, a bit unsure of what to do next.

“Charles, I would suggest a routine, but do whatever works for you. Don’t overthink it? You both love to dance, you both love each other — so just dance.”

Claire and I couldn’t believe what my mother just said in front of us. Claire was blushing profusely, and I went up to my mother and said, “You need to go to your room. You are grounded for one hour and then we expect you to come down here and apologize — OK, young lady?”

Mom had such a surprised look on her face ... She must have suddenly realized what she had said because she started to respond to what I had said, but I still shooed her off. She was, however, giggling as she left.
====
We had worked on the Waltz starting with the steps we knew, adding in the Whisk and the Promenade Chasse. Then, we went from one to the other, adding back all the other turns we previously learned.

Following that, I added the Hesitation Change, a rather slick step that involves changing the weight from your leading foot to your trailing foot ... difficult, but Claire and I had it down after only a few tries.

Before we went on, we stopped and she kissed me. I took a chance and while our lips pressed up against one another, I dropped my hands all the way to her pretty butt. I didn’t squeeze or anything.

“What are you doing?” Claire asked.

“Don’t you like it?” I asked her back.

“I think I do, but your mother could show back up any moment, Young Man!”

I moved them back up on her hips, and I started another marvelous kiss...

There was a sound behind us. It was Annie sporting a huge grin and she said, “I am sorry. It’s so easy to see what you mean to one another. I can’t promise I will never cry when you dance, but I will try not to let my mouth write a check my butt can’t cash. I will spend my next year helping you get into competitions and driving you wherever you need to go. All right, kids?”

“OK, Annie,” Claire said, with a little giggle.

“All right, Mom, but don’t let it happen again! Or, I will sic my father on you,” I said so glad she hadn’t come downstairs a moment earlier.

“No, no — Please, anything, but that!” mom responded, rather over-dramatically. “I saw the steps you have added. They look wonderful. You have picked out a song. I suggest a backup; in case someone else has it that performs before you. There’s no way of knowing when you perform, whether it’s first, last or somewhere in the middle. You may get lucky and be first, just because you will be registering at the last minute and they may decide that first out is the weakest position. Your first dance in your first competition, may cause the song you dance to, to become ‘your song.’”

“One more step I want to add, before we start working up a routine, Claire,” I announced.

“Sure, Charles ... I am putty in your hands. Oooh. Sorry Annie. He’s just so good at teaching dance. I could learn anything from my Charles.” Claire’s cheeks reddened up and looked over at Annie and repeated ‘Sorry.’

Mom broke the tension by asking, “What is the step called, Charles?”

“The Reverse Corte — Let me show you, Claire.”

I continued to show and teach Claire the step. It was tricky enough that it took a half-hour to get down.

“Claire,” Annie asked, “When are you expected home?”

“My mother knows we are in training for the dance contest. She told me that I could stay as long as I wasn’t ‘getting in the way,’ I think was how she put it,” Claire said with a giggle.

“Why don’t you two take a break — we will have lunch and then we will take back up after that? Will I need to get you home, dear?”

“Thank you. That would be wonderful, Annie,” Claire said.

“Pick out a back-up musical number, Charles, while Claire and I make pizza.”

“Oh,” said Claire, giggling, and getting up to go into the kitchen.

“I am staying far away this time,” I pronounced, “I don’t have time to get in trouble again, especially with a competition coming up.”

Claire had turned to my mom and said, “Isn’t he just the cutest thing, when he gets all flustered?”

Mom responded, “You are absolutely right Claire. Cute as a button.”

Hearing giggles from the kitchen worried me a little, but all things considered, today was going well. I was having a problem finding just the ‘right song’ for our back-up dance.

I remembered how Claire showed me how to listen to music on my phone without buying it, although I had just under $80 in credit.

I looked up Ballroom Waltz and hit the mother lode! First, I listened to ‘So This is Love,’ from SLEEPING BEAUTY, and I heard Claire say, from the other side of the door, “Yes, that one, Charles, Please? Isnt it lovely?”

“Not nearly as lovely as my girls, Claire, Annie and Kalista,” I yelled back.

“Now I am getting second billing? I may take back my apology, Charles,” mom said opening the door with her hand.

Looking at her directly in the eyes, I replied, “You will always be first in my heart, but Claire is first in my arms.”

As soon as I said it, I realized how my mom might have taken it. However, there was no screaming — nothing had been dropped. It got quiet ... Too quiet.

Dare I turn around and look at them? Hmmmm. I practically forced myself to turn towards them. I saw Claire in front of mom in the doorway and was looking up to my mom and they both were crying.

Annie put her hand on Claire’s shoulder, and she motioned at her to go to me. Claire walked slowly to me ... I looked past her to my mother, who motioned at me. We put our arms around each other’s waist and we both began to sob.

Claire put her lips to mine. This kiss was different from any before it ... it felt like a warm summer’s evening in the middle of a snowstorm, while looking at the stars. She didn’t open her lips this time.

I looked up.

Annie was motioning to ‘break it up.’ I didn’t want to, but I pulled away. Claire smiled at me, wiped my lips, and went back into the kitchen.

Yep — I am in love. And ... I got it bad!
====
We had lunch and then we started choreographing “The Tennessee Waltz.” Mom was a big help since she knew what we could do. We had it roughed out in about thirty minutes. Then we tackled “So, This is Love.” It’s a piano instrumental by David Huntsinger.

Mom commented, “Charles. I think ‘So, This is Love’ is the better song ... it’s got some subtle changes of rhythm between the verse and chorus, letting you two flash some moves at the judges. Your hesitation step is really first rate, Honey!”

Claire chimed in, “I think so too, Charles. I like them both very much, so, if what we dance, becomes ‘Our Song,’ I would like “So, This is Love” to be it?”

“OK, then that’s that. ‘Patti Page’ just became our back-up dance,” I agreed.

Since she wasn’t at my birthday dinner, she stayed to enjoy a meal with Annie and I. Boy, this feels absolutely perfect, the three of us.

The dance was on Brian’s birthday, so I called him to explain and he said, “Seeing Claire and you dance in a competition is more important. Go and bring back a medal or a trophy, whatever it may be. I’ll have Susan there. Good luck ... or should I say, Break a leg.”

What a friend!
====
We showed up at the hall where the NDCA event was held. I was wearing my birthday present, the one with the ruby. Due to turning 13 in this calendar year, we registered as thirteen-year-olds. In January, we will be 14-year olds in the eyes of the NDCA.

We told them our routine was a Waltz and gave them our musical options. They said that others took all our choices in our class. Mom asked, “Can you have live music, perhaps a piano playing?”

They said that would be all right, but that would mandate that we would be first to dance. We all looked at each other and smiled. “It’s a good thing I brought the ‘Sunrise, Sunset’ sheet music, kids. Get ready, you two. They have to get me a piano. Love you, break a leg,” she said to us.

“Love you, Annie,” Claire said.
“Love you, Annie,” I said.
“Love you, Claire,” I said. “Don’t worry, just relax.”

“I am not worried, Charles ... I am ‘in your arms.’”
====
“LADIES and GENTLEMEN. May I have your Attention, please?”

“The first dancers of the Junior I competition, are a new couple to the NDCA, Claire McArthur and Charles Newman. They will be dancing to the song, “Sunrise, Sunset!”

A smattering of polite applause permeated the hall. My mother started playing. We fell into ‘position’ and danced. I cannot adequately explain exactly what happened next.

We glided ... glid ... glade? across the entire floor from one end to the other. Claire’s hair bounced as we turned and danced and Whisked and Chassed and Reversed. It was like ... I couldn’t explain it. We were doing everything clean and the ending was coming. I took a quick glance to Mom and we ended exactly with her last note from the piano.

Applause ... what a beautiful sound from this audience of voyeurs! They all stood up and applauded loudly. Many threw flowers on the floor. Claire and I each picked one up and waved back to the crowd. They wouldn’t stop applauding.

The PA announcer thanked them and asked them to sit. There were eleven other competitors in our classification. Annie hugged each of us.

Through tears, my mother said, “Guess what just became ‘Your Song,’ kids? I am so proud of you, whatever happens.”
====
An hour later — there were announcements:

“In third place, Chad Bright and Lindsey Shannell.”

They came out to a strong applause.

“Second place, John Hamilton and Carol Miller.”

There was a nice bit of applause.

“First place, in their first competition together, Charles Newman and Claire McArthur. No doubt we will be seeing these two young people a lot in the future.”

When the announcer started saying my name, there were cheers from the stands. Kids, adults, everybody stood up and yelled, screamed, and shrieked. I brought out my mom, who raised both of her hands and waved back to the crowd.

After the craziness of it all and getting our trophy — some of the other kids came up to us and told us how much they loved our routine. We got a lot of questions, ‘Is this really your first competition?’ and ‘Are you two a couple?’ along with some heartfelt remarks about how well we interpreted the music with our dancing.

On the two-hour drive home, Mom told us we needed a sponsor in the future. She recommended Jimmy Bradshaw. She also said that she found out that a lot of the Juniors have managers. I recommended that she should be our manager.

We made a deal in the car that, when and if, we ever start earning money dancing, Annie would get fifteen percent. I offered her twenty; she only asked for ten — so, we compromised. A deal that Dad would be proud of ... if I cared!

Claire said that before our next competition, she was going to need to buy a couple of pairs of shoes. My mom mentioned we could get a couple of ‘matching outfits.’ I had noticed that about half of the Junior I dancers had matching outfits. I thought complementary-colored outfits stood out more. Case in point was that we won today with them.

WE WON!

“We won our first competition, Claire. I absolutely promise to you. I will never, ever dance in a competition without you.” I got quiet and I said, “Ti Amo. Clara.”

Claire responded, “I know, Charles.”
====
RING

“Hello, Claire. How are you this bright and beautiful morning?”

“How did you know it was me?” her marvelous voice said.

“I took a wild guess, Beautiful.”

“Beautiful ... I love it so much when you call me that. Are we practicing today before tonight’s Cotillion? I know we went to and won our Class in a competition yesterday, but I have gotten used to practicing on Tuesday afternoons before the Cotillion.”

“Sure. I guess it’s my turn to come to your place, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, I have a surprise for you, when you get here, X.”

“Is it ... bigger than a breadbox?”

“Yes, silly. Talk to your mother and call me right back. Toodles.”

I pulled on some clothes to practice in and went down to find my mom in the kitchen. I saw her making some bacon and eggs. It smelled great. I decided to sneak up on her...

“What time does Claire want you there to practice, Charles?”

“How did you... ?”

“I picked up the phone when it rang and listened to you talk to each other. I needed my ‘Charles & Claire fix’ this morning. That did it. Have some breakfast, dear. I will take you to your ‘beautiful’ dancing partner after you eat and clean up.”

“You listened in on our phone call? Mother, that is so ‘1984’ of you. I’ll call her back and tell her we will be there in forty-five minutes, OK?”

“That sounds good. What’s the surprise? Do you have any idea?” she wondered aloud.

“Nope — Not a clue.”

I called my girlfriend back and then sat down to eat. Less than ten minutes later, Mom and I were on our way to Claire’s house.

As we pulled up, I saw my surprise. Kalista shot out of the house and gave me a great big hug, saying, “Hello, Mrs. Newman, thanks for bringing X over. I’m starting my dance lessons from Charles & Claire today.”

Mom responded, “Be gentle with him Kalista. He breaks easy. Bye ... call when you need a ride home, Charles?”

“Bye, Mom,” I turned to Kalista and saw Claire in the doorway, smiling.

“I see you found your surprise, Charles.”

Her eyes were a bit moist.

“X, Claire promised me last week that you would teach me how to dance. I want you to teach me ... so we can dance at my eighth-grade prom.”

“That’s a long way off, Special K. You want to start today?”

“Sure, why not have a dance champion teach me?” she said it so matter-of-factly, like it was the most logical thing in the world.

I looked over to Claire — she shrugged her shoulders.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.