CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA - Cover

CHARLES, CLAIRE & KALISTA

 

Chapter 5

I chuckled, put the phone down and ran to Mom in the kitchen asking her if Claire could come over in the morning to practice. Of course, she said, “Are you ready to be a proper gentleman this time, young man?”

I bowed my head and said, “Yes, ma’am. I have got Claire holding on the phone. Could we get her this time, instead of one of her family having to drop her off, please?” That probably sounded a bit needy.

“That was the perfect amount of groveling. Go tell her we will be coming to get her about nine-thirty, OK?”

“Thanks, I love you, fairest Antoinette.”

“Don’t push it, buster,” she started laughing as I turned around and headed back up to my room.

I ran up the stairs, picked up the phone and passed on the info from my mom, including the part about groveling.

Claire giggled and said, “I will be waiting for the two of you at nine-thirty tomorrow morning — Te Adoro, Carlo,” and she hung up.

I said good-bye and hung up.

What was that she said, ‘Te Adoro, Carlo,’ but what language was that? Should I ask Mom? That would be the easiest thing to do. She knows about five languages...

Come on, Charles ... think ... think, think — Carlos is Spanish for Charles, but what is Carlo? I will check with Google — not Spanish ... not French ... maybe Italian?

That’s it!

OK, Carlo is Charles in Italian. OK. Now ... Adoro. OK, Google Translate. I typed Te Adoro and it came back...

Awww, Crap!

What she said translated to ‘I adore you, Charles.’ I used Google a few more times to find the perfect response for when I see her tomorrow.

I was ready to go and get Claire, armed with my Italian expressions. Mom found me waiting by the car.

“Charles, are you going to be ‘good’ today?”

“I am good every day, Annie.”

“Get in the car, you big dufus.”

“Si, signorina Antoinette.”

“Oh, you speak Italian now?”

“Not really, just something Claire said to me. A gentleman doesn’t tell his mother of such things.”

It was quiet most of the way there, when Mom turned to me and said, “We are almost there, Charles. Now, when we get there, be a gentleman and greet her at her door. Don’t ever become a honker.”

“What do you mean a honker, Mom?”

“One of those jerkwad ... gentlemen who go to get their girl and stays in the car and just honks for her. That is what a lazy man does, not the young man whom I have raised,” she said flashing her marvelous smile at me.

“Sure, Mom — and I will open and close doors for her and pull out a chair for her and order for her in the restaurant and tell her often how beautiful she looks.”

“If she ever asks me if what she’s wearing makes her butt look big, I will tell her everything she wears is ... quite flattering. I will even ask permission to kiss her. Does that all sound OK to you, Mom?”

She laughed out loud, “How long have you had that speech ready?”

“Since before my Scouting weekend, Mom. Did it work?”

She couldn’t stop chuckling, but she changed her tone and said, “If you really love her, Charles, always respect her. That’s all I can ask of you, OK?”

“Absotively — Posilutely, Annie,” I was quick to respond.

“We’re here.” She stopped in front of the house and I got out and leisurely walked to the door. I knocked and Mrs. McArthur opened it and waved to my mom.

“You are a little early, Charles — She’s having problems with what to wear today.”

“Mrs. McArthur — that doesn’t matter to me at all. I’m just thankful I picked her that first week of Cotillion. I have grown to care deeply for her.”

“And her for you, Charles. Here she is, oh — Claire dear that is very pretty ... don’t you think so, Charles?”

Claire walked over to me. Before she could say anything, I said to her, “Il mio cuore è per voi” (My Heart is for You).

She looked up to me, a little startled and said, “Gradisco voi di più e più” (I Like You More and More).

Her mother looked at us with a smile and said, “What was that you said to each other?”

“A gentleman never reveals his heart until it is ready, Mrs. McArthur.”

“All right. Whatever? Claire, call first to make sure somebody’s home?”

“OK, Mom. Ciao.”

She took my arm and we walked towards the car. I whispered quietly to her, “My mom is going to be watching us very carefully today, do you understand?”

“Absotively, Posilutely — X.”

We laughed as we got in the back seat of the car. Annie asked, “What’s so funny, kids?”

Together, we said, “Nothin’!”

My mother made a suspicious sounding hmmmm, and then we were on the way back into the house.

We were covering all the steps we previously learned. “OK, first the Waltz steps. Mom, put on ‘The Rainbow Connection,’ please?”

After we did all that, I stopped and asked, “Claire, want to learn a really cool waltz move?”

“Sure, Charles — what is it?” Her face suddenly lit up.

“It’s called The Underarm Turn. This step is a really flashy move for the girl. It’s also perfect for someone as pretty as you are,” I looked over at mom ... she was OK with how I said that.

“When we get to the actual turn, I should use two fingers and you use your whole hand. Our hands need to stay in contact until you have completed the turn, which should take you exactly six steps to complete.”

“So, it’s not a spin turn?” she inquired.

“No Claire, it’s a step turn.”

“I understand. Let’s try it.”

We caught the beat and gave it our best attempt, but we were finished before the count reached six. We tried again and almost — the third time ... she did the turn beautifully.

Of course — she shrieked a little, causing my mom to giggle.

“Let’s try it coming from a Left Box Turn, Claire. Mom would you start it over, please?”

“Certainly! You two — relax. You both are looking awfully tense while you are dancing today. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.”

“OK — Annie,” Claire said as she giggled. She turned to me and quietly said, “Ti Amo, Carlo” (I Love You, Charles).

“I know,” I responded. We caught the rhythm and this time it was like a switch had been turned on.

My mom put her hand to her mouth and said, “Beautiful, you two — just beautiful.”

“Yes, she is, Mom! I am glad you think so, too.”

Mom tried to look upset at me, but her face turned instantly into a big radiant smile. Both Claire and I saw her face fighting over the emotions of watching us dance. Both of us were looking into each other’s eyes with every step we took.

“OK break,” Annie said, “Foxtrot in ten!”

Mom went out to get the ice water we now kept in the fridge all the time, plus some glasses, while Claire and I sneaked a quick kiss, and just as quickly separated, so Annie wouldn’t suspect we did anything.

She came back in looking at us, trying to see if our faces told her anything. “Here’s some water, you two. Jimmy should be impressed with you tomorrow night — doing a turn, Wow!”

Next was the Foxtrot. We did all the steps we previously learned — I wanted to add another step, called the Change of Direction. I demonstrated it to Claire, and she picked it up right away. We were through with the Foxtrot for now.

The Cha-Cha was next. I didn’t think we learned enough variety yet with it, so we covered what we had learned and then, we added the New York Step, as well as the Spot Turn, and Underarm Turn.

Claire was having lots of fun because of the turns. It took us a bit to get all the nuances learned. We had a good feel for the steps we had covered. I was thankful that I was taller than her and it helped a lot.

The dreaded Tango was next. When I said that, both my mom and Claire chuckled a bit. Once again, I felt we needed a few more Tango steps under our belt before tomorrow night’s Cotillion.

Since we have been adding steps that involve turns, it seemed appropriate here as well — The Rock Turn. It really is a beautiful step and a difficult one. We took over thirty minutes to get it down.

“BREAK TIME!”

My mom freshened our water glasses and brought out some freshly baked Chocolate Chip cookies as well.

“Annie. You are going to make me fat, giving me cookies all the time,” Claire said breaking into that smile of hers.

“You two use so much energy when you dance ... you have got to replace it with something?” mom responded.

Claire replied with the most dangerous four-word question a girl can ask a boy, “Do I look fat, Charles?”

I had obviously prepared for this question at some point in our relationship. I just hadn’t expected it so soon, “You are beautiful, Claire — everything you wear is very flattering.”

“Well, aren’t you the gentleman?” Claire said with a smile.

“Remember, I see my mom all day, so being around someone who is beautiful is a common occurrence to me.”

“Well said,” said Claire.
“Well said,” said Mom.

“What’s next?” Annie asked.

“The Quickstep — OK with you, Claire?”

“Sure X.”

“Let’s go over what we know or what we think we know.” We went back over the Quarter Turn and the Chasses. Feeling adventurous, I suggested we learned an additional step.

“Charles, when are we going to show Jimmy that we know this dance?” Claire commented.

“I don’t know, Claire. Let’s just hold it in reserve, until the right time, OK?”

“Yeah — Baby,” she hugged me and just as quickly pulled back, “Sorry, Annie?”

Mom replied, “That’s all right, dear — if I was learning how to dance with Charles, I might also be swept away. What additional Quickstep did you want to teach, today, Baby?”

I tried to give her a stern look, but all I said was, “How about the Natural Spin Turn — it looks very hard, but if we have it to show Jimmy — it would be really rad.”

So, I proceeded to show it to Claire and as I had expected, it was a very difficult step to perform, much less teach it to someone. Almost forty-five minutes later Claire and I had a handle on it — but we didn’t have it down, by any stretch.

My mom asked, “Are we all done, Mr. Newman?”

We all laughed at that.

“Actually, there’s a dance I would like to go over called the Viennese Waltz. We will spend just a little time on it. Claire, why don’t you call and find out if somebody’s home and then, we will spend ten minutes on this and leave?”

“OK, Baby,” she said flashing her dimpled smile at me.

“It looks like you have found your footing after your camping trip, Charles?” mom said to me as Claire stepped away.

“Excuse me for saying this mom, but any reason to have Claire around keeps me firmly planted to the ground. I think I know why I have the skill to dance and to teach it.”

“Why is that, Charles?”

“Because ‘Dancing’ is my Destiny!’”

Claire came back into the room saying, “Our answering machine picked up, nobody’s home right now.” She had a really big smile on her face.

“Ooohh — That’s too bad, Claire. I guess we have all the time in the world, don’t we Mom?” I said dripping with sarcasm.

“Claire, you may be staying for dinner tonight. I was going to make pizza for the family. Would you like to join us for home-made pizza?” Annie gleefully offered.

“Absolutely, Annie. Let me call back and leave a message that I’m going to be staying here for dinner and that I will call later to make sure somebody’s home. I have never had homemade pizza before — can I help you make it, please?” queried Claire.

“If it’s all right with your boyfriend, it’s OK with me, Claire,” mom said with a smirk.

Claire looked at me like a puppy looks at its momma and said, “Please X,” she whispered to me, “Ti Amo, Carlo.”

“Of course, you can help her make the pizza, whatever you want — I want, CC.”

Wrapped around her little finger!

“Awww — isn’t he the sweetest boyfriend, ever?” Claire said.

My mother finished the moment by saying, “The Absotively, Posilutely, bestest, nicest, sweetest boyfriend in the history of boyfriends, Claire.”

I believe she was mocking me.

They both laughed heartily at Annie’s remark. All I could do was stand there, blushing like an idiot. I do that particularly well.

“Call and leave the message, CC — then we will practice the Viennese Waltz. Maybe we could even look at the Samba, Rhumba, Jive or Paso Doble? Mom — why don’t you pick the next dance we learn?”

“I am going to call, be right back,” Claire said.

“Mom. What do you say?” I pestered.

“Actually — of the ones you just mentioned I have heard of but have never seen ... the Paso Doble. I hope I haven’t picked the toughest one of the four you gave me to choose from? OK, X?”

“Yeah — Annie. I actually expected you to pick that dance. I am not sure why, but it looks like a lot of fun to learn.”

Claire bounded into the room, “I am back — miss me?”

“Even when you are not in my sight line, you are still in my heart, CC.”

Mom said, “I think I’m going to be sick, the way you two talk to each other, sounding like seventeen or eighteen-year-olds, but I look at you and see twelve-year-olds. Oh, maybe I am just getting old.”

“Oh no — Mom, you are not getting old ... We’re just growing up faster than you and dad did. That’s all.” (Except he looks fifteen years older than she does.)

Mom shrugged and said, “OK — first the Viennese Waltz.”

I took Claire through the Closed Changes — both the Natural to Reverse, and then the Reverse to Natural. I asked Annie to find Dean Martin’s version of “That’s Amore.” She went through the music and found it rather quickly and had it ready to start.

I nodded to her and then nodded to and took the hand of Claire and we started to dance the Viennese Waltz. It’s a very fun dance — after my dance with Claire was through, I went up to my mother and asked, “Annie, would you like to dance?”

“Why yes, kind sir. I would,” Claire giggled as I took my mother to the middle of the room. Claire waited for my nod and started the song again. Mom is quite light on her feet. It was nice dancing with her. Her eyes are really pretty. I had never noticed before. I suppose I appreciate all girls nowadays!

My dad is always so busy, and mom seems to enjoy being around Claire and I when we’re dancing. Mom’s smile is practically as brilliant as Claire’s. We were through and so we all took a break.

Claire went into the kitchen with Annie, to look over all the stuff there was for making homemade pizza. I walked into the doorway, stopped and leaned against the door jamb. I watched them together, talking about music, school, Cotillion, pizza and me.

I may be only twelve, but I can envision this exact scene in six or seven years, just before Claire and I are at a University getting our Performance Degrees in Dance.

Claire turned towards me, smiled and said, “What are you thinking about, Charles?”

My eyes had started to moisten up a bit and I said, “Just watching two of my favorite girls get along, like mother and daughter, or my future wife & lover and her beautiful mom-in-law!”

There was a shriek and a loud thud from the sink area. Annie turned to look at me and had a look on her face that I felt to my very bones.

Claire was blushing so much; you would think she had a sunburn.

“Oh — I — I am sorry? I shouldn’t have said that out loud. I am so sorry, both of you,” I said, blubbering like an idiot. I turned and ran upstairs to my room and slammed my door shut, wondering why I said what I said? Shit!

I can’t believe that. I know I have got it bad for Claire, but what I said. I expected my mom to be up here any second to call me on the carpet for it and I waited and waited! She could have called dad, and that might possibly mean I get his belt on my backside. It had been threatened, but never happened ... to date. Mom always had saved me from him. Another reason to be as close to her as I had.

Nothing — I was scared to my core, not really wanting to go back downstairs. But I did.

I saw Claire on the phone, probably calling to find out if somebody had gotten home yet. I heard her tell Annie that Sarah was home. Annie told her to gather up her things and she would take her home.

I slowly took the last step down the stairs, but Annie stopped me and said, “I’m taking Claire home, by myself. When I get back, we need to have a discussion, Charles.”

Claire turned and waved good-bye ... I waved back. I mouthed that I would call her.

When my mom got home, I was upstairs on my bed, feeling like the guy in jail who was about to go in and get a lethal injection. (Dead Dancer Walkin.’)

Lynching might suit me even better — I heard her yell loudly, “CHARLES, get down here, NOW!”

My Mother isn’t usually a very loud person. She never raises her voice to people, in any situation. Even when she and my dad argue about something, she talks in a normal speaking voice, giving her reasons or opinions on the matter being discussed clear and without malice.

I walked very slowly down the stairs to the living room and kitchen. I was delaying the inevitable. I tried to hold it in, but I couldn’t keep from starting to sob, when I finally got to my mother in the kitchen.

Now back to her relatively calm speaking voice she said, “Charles Xavier Newman Junior, that was — that was, the most phenomenally inappropriate thing I have ever heard any of my children say in front of me. Have you forgotten that you are only twelve years old? What the hell were you thinking, when you said ... what you just said?”

I tried to keep from weeping, to show my mother how strong I could be, but the rains, oh they wouldn’t stop, just as I was starting to say, “Mom — that’s a very good question? I–I–I don’t have a reasonable answer for ... I wasn’t thinking! I just spoke what was in my heart, while I was watching you and Claire talking and working on dinner.”

“Everything went from my brain straight to my mouth and it came out — I don’t know anything else to say, except that I’m sorry,” with my tears transitioning to sobs on the way to bawling again, which I couldn’t remember when I last had done that.

“I have embarrassed you, Claire, and even myself by saying what I said. Just before I said it ... I had been thinking about how that same scene between you and Claire could be happening in six or seven years from now, before we leave for a University to get our Degrees in Performance Dance. I don’t know what else to say? What are you going to do, Mom?”

“I have thought of keeping you from Cotillion for a week, or at least keeping you from going to the Summer Memories Dance–OR BOTH!” Her voice was full of emotion as she was saying this.

There was a very uncomfortable pause, “Charles — what do you think I should do to you?”

Oh crap! She had never asked me that before? I had heard her talk to my sisters, asking a similar question a few years ago, but being asked this is truly a dual-edged sword.

“Mom — I really don’t know? I think about dancing, going off to a new school and I think about Claire. I think about Claire all the time, awake and asleep — all the time. I worry about Brian. Also, I worry about you.”

“What do you mean — you worry about me? Explain yourself, young man?”

There it was again.

“Well, Steven, Sally, and Sarah, are all grown up and moved out. I am all you have left ... your little boy. Who’s learning to dance, has a girlfriend, even discusses college ... and more — and he’s only twelve-years-old!”

The sobs came pouring out again, “I am sorry ... that I’m growing up. It isn’t intentional — It’s part of life — kind of like dancing! You learn a dance one day and you learn another dance another day – on and on ... just hoping you can remember them all. Then, you learn another and another.”

I had finally stopped sobbing, and continued, “I know I have upset you, but I really don’t think it’s because of what I said — I think it’s because of what it represents ... the last of a great bunch of kids.” She leaned back in her chair, putting a smirk on her face, as my sarcasm came through as I hoped it would.

“That’s why, when I first met Kalista — she could have been my little sister with a bit of luck. I may care for her as much as I care for Claire ... and you.”

She was rubbing and clearing the tears from her eyes during this monologue of mine. She crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“I know that it’s tempting to lash out at me. I deserve whatever you dish out, Mom. I must learn to control my impulses, my urges and my big mouth.”

“HA!”

I made her laugh — I love my mother’s laugh. I walked over to her and hugged her, with a newfound respect. I started crying again around the time I had mentioned Kalista. Just like that wonderful old song “Two Lost Souls” from the film and Broadway musical, DAMN YANKEES...

‘Two lost souls,
on the highway of life
We ain’t even got
a sister or brother
Ain’t it just great,
ain’t it just grand?
We have got each other.’

Two lost ships
on a stormy sea
One with no sails
and one with no rudder
Ain’t it just great,
ain’t it just grand?
We’ve got each udder!

Two lost sheep,
in the wilds of the hills
Far from the other Jacks
and Jills, we wandered away
and went astray
But we ain’t fussin’
Cuz we’ve got “us’n”

I decided to risk everything by asking Mom ‘The Question.’

“Don’t you think that Claire would make a great wife to me and daughter-in-law to you, Mom?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.