25 January 2008
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Dan and Karen were sitting on a bench in the hallway when Jake and Wendy appeared, accompanied by two paramedics.

“They’re taking Jake to the hospital to have him checked for a concussion,” Wendy said.

“It’s best to do so. A good whack to the head can scramble the old noggin,” Dan tried to joke. Karen hugged Wendy, reassuring her lover of her support.

“Can I ride in the ambulance with you?” Wendy asked.

“It normally isn’t permitted.”

“We’ll take you to the hospital, honey,” Karen offered.

“I’ll call Mom and Dad to tell them about Jake. I’m sure they’ll want to go too.”


Dan, Karen, and Wendy were met in the parking lot by Brian, Barbra, and the others. Scott and Vicky said they’d drive Diane, Brenda, Tina, and Abby to the hospital after the game.

Karen sat in the back seat of the Maxima, embracing her love, as Dan drove them to the hospital.


The camera focused on Jim in the press box. “At the end of the second period, the Kinston Frontenacs lead the Belleville Falcons three to two on the strength of Peter Kendall’s seventh goal of the season. They outshot Belleville twenty to sixteen for a two period total of thirty-five each.”

“Jim and Mark, I’ve spoken with Belleville Coach Frank Stanton, and I’m told that Jake Campbell will not be returning to tonight’s game. He’s been taken by the paramedics to Kingston General Hospital for evaluation of a suspected upper-body injury. Right winger Chris Page will replace Campbell on the third line,” Ken informed them.

“Yes, as we replay Brad Hayward’s fiftieth goal of the season, we can first see Jake Campbell taking a solid shoulder-to-shoulder hit from Will Carson, then his head deflecting off Carson’s helmet, and then he falls hard to the ice,” Jim reviewed.

“These two teams seem to have an ongoing hatred for each other. It doesn’t matter if they’re fighting for first place or last, they always play a tough, hard-hitting game.”

“Since Belleville’s amazing twenty-three game winning streak began, they have not lost a game when trailing after the second period. Imagine the battle should these two teams ever meet again in the playoffs.”

“We’ll have to stay tuned to Brad Hayward’s amazing rookie year as he seeks his next level of achievement with sixty goals.”


Jake was led to the emergency entrance for an initial examination while Jim registered him. Dan, Karen, and Wendy soon arrived, and Wendy made sure to inform the clerk that she is the mother of the injured hockey player, Jake Campbell.

Dan and Karen comforted Wendy as they waited for word on Jake. “First it was Brad’s broken ribs, then a cut to Pete’s neck, and now this. Hockey injuries sure are taking a toll on our families,” Dan mentioned.

“I imagine it’s only a matter of time before one of them breaks an arm, leg, or ankle,” Karen added.

The trio was viewed with interest as Wendy alternated resting her head on Dan’s or Karen’s shoulder. Barbra and Brian soon joined them, concerned for their grandson. Barbra mentioned that Wendy should call Dave, her ex-husband, and tell him that Jake was injured. Close to fifteen minutes later, Jim entered the waiting room. Wendy stood and hurried to meet him, anxious for any word on her son.

“Jake is in with the doctors being examined,” Jim said, welcoming Wendy’s thanking embrace.

“How does he look? Is he in any pain? When can I see him?” She quickly asked.

“He’s awake and asking to go back to the hockey game. The doctor will brief you when he’s completed his examination.” Jim used his cell phone to call Zack, the head trainer, and brief him on Jake’s condition.


“Welcome back to NSN Friday Night Hockey, where the Kingston Frontenacs are ahead of the League-leading Belleville Falcons three to two!” Ken announced this to the viewers.

“Mark, Belleville will be up against the tough Frontenacs, who are second to Belleville in the number of goals allowed in the third period,” Jim mentioned.

“It should make for an exciting climax to another typically hard-fought OHL game.”


The play resumed with Mark announcing the play-by-play past the seven-minute point.

“Kingston has been taking the play to Belleville, trying to keep them off their game. Bruce Gibson gathers the puck behind the Frontenacs net and, putting the play into motion, passes it up the half boards to Ben Harrison at the left face-off circle. He carries it over their blue line as he is checked closely by the Falcons’ Mark Adams.”

“Adams passes to Captain Dale Corbett, who immediately fires the puck back into the Frontenacs end. Nick Upton gives chase, catching up to Kingston’s defenceman, Kevin Elliot, behind their net. Adams joins Upton to take the puck away from Elliot. Upton passes it back along the boards to the left point, where Justin Long positions himself to let go a hard slap shot.”

“Kingston’s goalie, Chris Manning, makes another brilliant stop and steers the puck into the corner. Elliot and Upton again battle for the puck. Elliot attempts to pass it behind the net to Gibson, but it’s intercepted by Corbett. Corbett passes it along the boards to Scott Warren. Warren backs towards the upper slot, looking for an open man. He winds up and fires a heavy slap shot towards the Kingston goal!”

“He scores! Warren has scored for Belleville to tie the game at three!”

The players on the bench jumped up and cheered, celebrating the tying goal. Scott led the way as the players on the ice traded glove taps with the players on the bench.

“Thank fuck you’re on our team, Scott! Man, what a fucking slap shot!” Brad expressed.

“Constant pressure by the Falcons has resulted in defenceman Scott Warren scoring his fourteenth goal of the season,” Jim mentioned.

“It seemed it was only a matter of time before Belleville would score. They have met every challenge thrown at them by Kingston,” Mark added.

“Belleville goal scored by number 14, Scott Warren. Assisted by number 21, Dale Corbett. Time 8:13.”

“Coach Stanton continues to rotate his lines, sending out the second line consisting of Hayward, Johnson, Page, Giroux, and Grobenov. Will Hayward perform any more magic for us tonight?” Jim wondered.

“Coach Greene answers with his power line of Reeves, Green, Jefferies, Patricks, and Anderson.”


“The ref drops the puck, and the game resumes. Johnson wins the face-off battle with Green, passing the puck back to Mueller. He leads the charge as the forwards crest the blue line. Mueller dumps the puck into the corner, with Page giving chase. Page fights hard with fierce stick work to continue the puck behind the net onto Hayward. Hayward evades a check from Jeffries and passes off the boards to Grobenov. Grobenov passes cross ice to Giroux, who spots an open Chris Page. Page fires a quick wrister that catches the top corner, just under the crossbar!”

“He scores! Page has scored to give the Falcons the lead just thirty-three seconds after Scott Warren had tied the game.”

The players all gathered for congratulations at the right circle, and Chris was all smiles as he led the procession past the player’s bench.

“This isn’t the first time a team has been the victim of two quick goals by the Falcons,” Jim said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.