Afterglow - Cover

Afterglow

Copyright© 2017 by girlinthemoon7

Chapter 10: The Verdict

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 10: The Verdict - Elizabeth defends the abused. Just as she tackles a nasty case, a beautiful and enigmatic woman enters her life. Elizabeth finds that her life will never be the same.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Fa/Fa   Consensual   Lesbian  

Felicity called the next morning.

She was already on my mind. The next day was the hearing—Jackie texted me to remind me—and I was torn about going. Obviously I wouldn’t go into the courtroom, but even hanging around in the hallways seemed uncomfortable. I didn’t want to run into Robert, Roger or Landon. And I hated the idea of being in any kind of proximity to Dan.

I wanted to call Felicity and see if she wanted to go. Clearly Rose couldn’t. But I was procrastinating, partly because I was so tired of dealing with heavy stuff and mostly because I wasn’t sure if I should tell her about Robert’s decision and the disappointing amount of time Dan could potentially serve.

I craved a little domesticity, so I lazed around with Toronto while Olivia painted. I didn’t understand how she could possibly be comfortable painting in my cramped living room but what the fuck did I know? Craigslist ads for jobs were glaring me back in the face. That’s just when my phone vibrated. I recognized the number and answered immediately.

“Rose is out of the coma!” she wept.

My heart jumped with excitement. “How wonderful!”

Felicity took a deep, excited breath. “She’s very out of it and still on a lot of drugs but she’s looking around and talking and everything. The cops were here. Even that douche Robert was here.”

Goosebumps rose up from my arms. “Robert?”

“Yup. He’s an asshole. He was fine to us, though, just telling us about where we all go from here.”

“He ... he told you about the charges? The sentence?”

She sighed. “Yes. Don’t get me started. I’m NOT happy about it, but I have too much to be happy about right now to let it affect me.”

“I know. I just—”

“Elizabeth? Stop worrying. What’s done is done. 5 years is nothing when you look at the damage he’s caused, but it is something. I’m raging about it, too, but right now we have more important things to do. And he says they’re still deliberating Landon’s plea deal so there is still hope. So come see us, bring Olivia, and buy the best champagne you can.”

I found myself smiling. “When did you get so zen?”

She snorted. “See you soon.”

I told Olivia the good news. She cried and clapped her hands. Then we got ready, bought a classy enough bottle of champagne and took a cab to the hospital.

Rose’s parents were waiting outside when we came to the door. I introduced Olivia and they were very polite. Felicity saw we were there and dragged us in, ripping the bottle of champagne from my hands.

And there was Rose. She was so, so pale resting against white sheets. Her cheekbones pressed against the skin of her face so hard as if they wanted to escape. Her lips were cracked and her arms were merely white sticks poking out from beneath her pink blanket. Part of her face was bandaged, presumably where he struck her, and her face was nearly unrecognizable because of other wounds.

Simmering, hot rage bubbled in my stomach once again after seeing what Dan did.

“Elizabeth and Olivia! I’m so glad you’re here.”

I got close to her and took her cold hand into mine. “We are happy to be here.”

Felicity handed me a plastic cup with champagne. We toasted to Rose’s health. The conversation turned to surgeries, of which Felicity surprisingly knew a great deal. Even Olivia was fascinated. I daydreamed until I realized Rose was staring at me.

“Felicity told me,” she whispered.

My heart sank. I didn’t have to ask what. “I’m so sorry.”

“Even if he’s only given 5, we’ll figure it out.” She nodded to herself as if she was attempting to convince herself. Her head fell back against the pillow; she looked unbelievably exhausted.

“Let’s not worry about that yet. He’s going to get what he deserves somehow.”

Her lips twitched into a tiny smile. “You’re so fierce sometimes.” I smiled and she took my hand again. “I love you. For everything you’ve done.”

I was too choked up to respond.

The nurse came in at some point, looking less than thrilled over how many people were crowding the room. She checked Rose out while we all watched in silence. When she finished with a smile, we could all breathe again.

I noticed that Rose’s parents actually talked to Felicity and seemed to be a lot more accepting to her now than before, based on what the girls used to tell me. Her parents seemed worn out. They had never believed Dan was as big a threat as Rose said. It must’ve been a rude, rude awakening for them when they received that terrible phone call in the middle of the night-that call all parents dread.

A few minutes later I glanced at Rose. She’d fallen asleep. Some color had touched her cheeks, thank God, so she finally looked alive and semi-well to me. I checked the monitors from time to time, sometimes becoming entranced with her pulse. Sadly Rose looked like shit. I knew the prognosis was good but it was difficult to remember that, at some point, she’d be walking out of the hospital on her own two legs.

The sentence Dan Tierney would likely receive was unjust and dangerous. To think he could possibly serve a mere 5 years was disturbing and disheartening. Yet both girls—Rose and Felicity—loved each other and became even stronger because of their feelings. They were still scared, and still angry, but they’d already faced the worst thing that could happen and they’d emerged on the other side. They would always be haunted, but now they absolutely knew they could handle it because they had each other. It was time to rebuild.

Olivia touched my shoulder. “Shall we go?” she whispered.

I got up and said goodbye to everyone gently. Felicity grasped my hand and gave me a teary smile.

“You probably didn’t get a chance to talk to her long, but isn’t it wonderful?”

“Better than wonderful. Any news on what they plan to do with her next?”

“The stomach is the most important thing. They don’t want to tear anything because the risk of bleeding is so high. Her head is still banged up but the doctors think it’s okay.”

I nodded. I almost wasn’t going to say anything but I turned to get one last look at Rose. The sight of her provoked me. “Tomorrow is the sentencing hearing. Would you like to go? We’ll linger outside.”

Felicity sucked in her breath. “Oh, my God. I have to go into work for a little tomorrow ... What time is it?”

“10am.”

She looked around, her gaze skittering over Rose like mine had a second before. “I’ll be there.”


It was absolutely freezing outside the courthouse. We could’ve waited inside but Felicity was indulging in one of her guilty pleasures: smoking.

“I can’t believe how cold it is,” she said. She lit another cigarette.

“And Spring is around the corner,” I mumbled. I pulled the collar of my coat up and tilted my head back, studying the slate-colored sky.

Felicity flicked some ash off the tip of her cigarette. “Jeez. I heard it’s supposed to snow tonight.”

I knew what we were doing—idle, trivial chitchat to pass the time and make the wait (somewhat) bearable. It wasn’t going well, at least not for me. I wanted to pace the slick floors of the halls, I wanted to hear the faint voices coming from the courtroom inside, I wanted to be near the action. No, it wasn’t any better or productive than standing outside in the cold, but that didn’t matter.

I waved away some of the smoke from the cigarette with a frown.

She switched her cigarette from one gloved hand to the other. “You really disapprove of smoking, don’t you?”

“I disapprove of anything that kills people, yeah. Olivia does it sometimes when she thinks I don’t notice and it makes me furious. I have her on another nicotine patch now, actually.”

She smiled. “I sneak sometimes, too. It’s a powerful urge. Funny how puffing on something can be so comforting. I read something some time ... Something about the mouth? The repetitive nature? And the nicotine, yeah, but not everyone who’s smoked has become addicted, right?”

I rubbed my hands together. “Well, I certainly can’t begrudge you for smoking today, so whatever.” I watched her for a minute. “It’s flirting with death. I think that’s a big compulsion, too.”

Felicity studied me as she dropped the cigarette and twisted her foot on top of it. “You’re antsy. You want to go inside, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

Felicity groaned and rolled her eyes. “God, fine! You’re a huge pain in the ass. Let’s go.”

I followed, a small smile forming. We sat on a bench outside and waited. And waited. Felicity toyed with her phone. I stared the doors, willing them to open. It didn’t usually take that long.

And then they did. A surprising flood of people came outside, talking enthusiastically. Robert was suddenly there, clutching his suitcase with a grim expression. He caught sight of me almost immediately. His face grew darker but he said nothing. He walked by without another look. Then I saw Jake, one of the other attorneys that didn’t get as much of a chance to show his talents. I wondered what he was doing there.

Landon strolled out, a huge smile on his face. That never meant anything one way or another; Landon was the best at the art of positive spin. He spotted me sitting next to Felicity; his eyes roamed over us, probing for secrets.

He walked over and for some reason I stood up. I wanted to immediately ask what the sentence was but I didn’t want to get the information from Landon. Petty, sure, but I couldn’t help it.

He started speaking as soon as I was in earshot. “I never had the chance to tell you how much I appreciated you sticking up to Roger. The man has deserved something like that for a long, long time.”

I rubbed my palms against my skirt and tried not to freak out or punch him. “What do you want, Landon?”

His smile turned sweeter. Friendlier. He looked around my body and said hello to Felicity.

“And how is your friend? I apologize—I haven’t been able to check her condition lately.”

“She’s my GIRLFRIEND,” Felicity spat. “And she’s still fucking alive. Be sure to pass that on to your client.”

Landon stood straighter, seemingly unaffected by Felicity. “Well, I know you’ve never thought highly of me, Ms. Quilty, though I’ve never been sure why. I represent the opposite team, that’s true, but I’ve always respected your work.”

I regarded him with intense suspicion.

He licked his lips and carefully ran a hand over his blonde hair. “As for your earlier question, I don’t want anything from you. I’m offering you something.” He smiled when he saw me scowl. “I mean it. I’ve always appreciated your approach and understanding of the law. There is a place for you within my firm. I would be absolutely honored if you’d consider working with me for a while.”

“No.”

His eyebrows lifted but I didn’t think he was that surprised. “So quick an answer. My well-meaning offer isn’t even worth a moment of thought?”

“Give me a break, Landon.”

He grinned. “You see right through me, Elizabeth. I think that’s why I like you so much.” He put his leather briefcase on the bench next to Felicity so he could put his coat on. His eyes never left mine. “He’s serving fifteen years without the chance of parole. Does that warm you up a little?”

Felicity failed to stifle a gasp. I couldn’t move. “Fifteen?”

“Not the twenty-five you were hoping, I’m sure, but you must be pleased.”

“They didn’t take the plea,” I whispered. The relief poured through my blood like a cup of fine, smooth red wine.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.