Seasonal Dates: a Simple Christmas Story - Cover

Seasonal Dates: a Simple Christmas Story

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Chapter 7

Work was quiet. I had lunch with Kathy and another. I arrived home and was welcomed by Lois at the door.

“How was your day, Lois?”

“It was good. The kids are back and seem to have a renewed interest in learning for a day or two. They always seem to be that way after the Christmas holidays. Of course, we call it Winter Break now. We have guidelines about asking and answering questions about this time to be politically correct. It’s infantile but a number of parents are infantile, too.”

I chuckled. “Have you ever considered teaching at a Christian school?”

“Randy, I looked into one a few years ago but they were just as crazy in the other direction. However, our school system has gotten worse steadily. I think the leadership is now looking over their shoulders, figuratively. They fear the federal education folks will make them give equal time to Christianity and moral values now with some of the political changes nationally.”

“Lois, I guess most parents who complain don’t want Christian values?”

“True. It’s funny in an ironic way. They don’t want those values taught or promoted but, without any basis, what is the reason for the moral direction that they seem to expect or for any other for that matter? Sometimes, it’s frustrating.”

“I understand. My company doesn’t allow Christmas trees. They have to be called Holiday trees and may not have any stars or religious symbols. Up north, there were questions about white snow flake ornaments being symbols. Our Christmas party is officially called a holiday party. I just let it go. My real concern is the long-term effect all this will have though I hope to be dead and gone before it gets really bad.”

I chuckled and added, “We sure are philosophical this evening.”

She laughed, “I’m just following your lead.”

“Perhaps, I can lead you into temptation.”

“You have. I hope you will again many times in the future.”

I smiled. “What’s your schedule for this week?”

“Just teaching my class. There aren’t any after usual hours events to attend in this bit of the week that’s left We start meeting Pastor Joe next week.”

“What about your weekend?”

“It’s open except for Sunday morning.”

“Fine. I will monopolize your entire weekend starting with dinner Friday night through Sunday night.”

“Oh, whatever could we find to do in all that time.” Her voice had a lilting, teasing quality to it.

“I intend to show you some more of my etchings.” I chuckled and heard her low laugh. “Seriously, I will take you to dinner and find something that’s not too obscene to do after that. I hope you will find it in your heart to spend all day Saturday doing something with me. If nothing else, we can go look at all the sales. I will find something for us to do.”

“Okay.”

“You’re okay with those sketchy plans?”

“I’ll be with you. That sounds good, Randy.”

“Thanks.” The next day was Friday. I checked for something after dinner and found a free concert at one of the area colleges. The time would work barely.

I came home on time. She met me at the door with a kiss that would warm the blood of a zombie. She looked ready to go so we went out the door with her holding my hand. She looked great in a short skirt and light sweater.

I drove us across town to the restaurant. We had a fine meal and arrived at the concert hall in time. We both enjoyed the concert. It was themed on more modern composers but the numbers picked were melodious with almost no raucous sounds. When it ended, there was coffee and we stood talking to attendees and orchestra members. It was fun. I thought that Marsha hadn’t enjoyed the one concert that we had attended. I drove us back to my place.

We went inside. She kicked her shoes off and sat on the sofa while I went into the kitchen and turned on the coffee maker. I pulled two small plates out for cookies pulling the packages out of the fridge and setting them on the counter with the plates. I returned to the living room with coffee and cookies.

I had seated myself next to Lois on the sofa. Lois said, “There is, however, one problem.” I gave her with a questioning look. “I haven’t been kissed enough yet to need a break for coffee and cookies.” I grinned and moved to correct such a terrible problem. I think we both enjoyed the effort. I know I did and I had help.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.