Goldfield Standoff - Cover

Goldfield Standoff

Copyright© 2017 by aubie56

Chapter 2

It tuned out that Hernandez was a beer distributor of Mexican beer. The man who had attacked him was employed by a distributor of a locally brewed beer, the one I had paid 2¢ for. Specifically, that man’s job was to prevent the distribution of any other brand of beer in Los Angeles.

I was told by Hernandez that the two brands of beer were really not competitors because of the difference in price. That other beer sold for 2¢ per glass, while his Mexican beer sold for 6¢ per glass. The difference was in the shipping costs. The other difference was in the quality and taste. He would demonstrate when we reached his home.

We pulled into what was a palatial mansion for Los Angeles. It was surrounded by a wrought iron fence that was 12 feet high, and the gate had a guard house manned by two men who looked to me more like massive hairy animals than like humans. I knew that they were human mostly because they spoke to Hernandez in Spanish.

The coachman did slow down enough for us to be recognized, and I felt like I had been examined to a fare-the-well, all in those few seconds. I would be allowed to leave under my own steam, but I sure was not getting back in without the specific permission of Hernandez. With that kind of security, I wondered what he needed me for.

We were delivered to the front door, and I walked into an entryway that was totally intimidating with its grandeur and beauty. And that was only my first taste of what there was to see. I was led into what Hernandez called his informal reception room and offered a seat. Oh, my God, I felt like I was not worthy to be seated among such majesty and obvious wealth. My clothes marked me as a commoner, and I could feel the distaste of the furniture toward me.

Hernandez said, “Come on, Orville, my friend, relax. The furniture is not going to eat you.” He laughed at that, and I did too. Okay, now I started to feel better. I was sitting in a wing-back chair that was upholstered in a fabric that had gold threads running through it. Man, this was wealth displayed in a way that did not offend, but sure did impress.

Hernandez sat in a similar chair and rang a small bell resting on a small table beside the arm of the chair. Moments later, a servant appeared. “Ah, Jesus, please bring us each a bottle of the latest shipment from the brewery. I would like my friend to know what it is that has paid for all of this.”

It was only a couple of minutes later that Jesus returned with two bottles of beer and two glasses on a silver tray. With perfect ease, he set a bottle of beer and a glass on a small table beside my chair, popped the lid, and poured me half a glass of beer. There was still plenty of beer left in the bottle, but this was the perfect amount for a taste test. He poured the same amount for Hernandez before leaving the room.

Hernandez picked up his glass of beer and said, “Please taste what kind of nectar that we can produce in Mexico.” He raised his glass and offered a “Cheers” before sipping a little of the beer.

I followed suit, and I was absolutely flabbergasted! I will be the first one to admit that my experience with beer has been limited, but this beer was certainly the nectar that he had promised. I had no idea that beer could taste this good! I said, “My father is from Austria where they claim to brew the best beer in the world, but I am sure that he has never tasted any beer better than this.” I raised my glass again and said, “I salute you and your beer.”

Hernandez grinned and nodded. He rang the bell again and said to the servant, “Jesus, please see that a case of this shipment is placed in my carriage for this gentlemen to take with him when he returns home.”

My mouth dropped open. “But Mr. Hernandez, I can’t accept a gift of this quality. I have nothing to give to you.”

“Oh, you have already given me a present of rare value, at least to me, my friend. I am sure that the brute in the saloon would have killed me had you not stepped in, and my life is certainly worth more to me than a few bottles of beer. Please accept my gift and do not worry yourself over it.”

“Okay, but I am speechless over your generosity.”

“Ah, but I have an ulterior motive, my friend. I was serious when I offered you the job as my bodyguard. You obviously know how to take care of yourself, and you are concerned enough about the well being of a stranger to put yourself in jeopardy. Please do me the favor of taking the job for a month. After that, if you do not wish to continue with it, you may leave with no hard feelings. The job pays $100 per month, and I am sure that you would find it very difficult to find an honest job that pays that much.”

“I cannot possibly turn down an offer like that. Yes, I will take the job, but I will need to know exactly what you expect of me.”

“That is very easy. I have other men working for me who can handle the usual sort of bodyguard duties, but I have had no one who could cope with a person like you bested today, short of shooting him. I find that shooting potential customers is not good business, so I would like for you to be there to defend me if another situation like today should arise. In all honesty, I am sure that it will. The local brewers are not afraid of me, but they are afraid of my beer.

“All of that reminds me, would you care for another one?”

“Thank you, but no. The neighborhood where I currently live is quite rough, and I need to be cold sober when I walk through it.”

“Ah, you are a man of very good sense. Yes, I see your point. However, I want to deliver you to your home in my carriage. I want the people of your neighborhood to know that you have my favor. That should make things a bit less hectic for your and your family.

“Oh, wait, I have an idea. How many people are there in your family, if I may ask without seeming impertinent?”

“There is my father, my mother, and my younger sister. Why do you ask?”

“It just occurred to me that this estate has an empty house that has four bedrooms. Perhaps you would like to move your family into it. It would certainly make it easier for you to perform your duties as my bodyguard if you were living here nearby.”

“That is very generous of you. I will bring it up with my family tonight. Oh, how much rent will you charge? My mother is sure to ask.”

“Yes, the women are ever practical when it comes to things like that. The house will be rent free. Consider that as part of your salary.”

“Your generosity continues to overwhelm me. Okay, one last question. Where will my mother do her grocery shopping, and how will she get there?”

“The grocery shopping question is easy to answer. All she needs to do is to provide a servant with a list of what she wants, and it will be picked up for her every Friday when my people shop for groceries. That will also be included as part of your salary.

“As for doing her other shopping, she can feel free to use one of the several carriages that are available at the estate. All she needs to do is to tell any servant that she wants a carriage, and one will be available at her door in minutes. A driver will also be with the carriage. Does that answer all of your questions?”

“It certainly does. Truthfully, I am still trying to absorb all of this.”

“Yes, I guess it is kind of sudden, but you really do interest me. Can you be available tomorrow to accompany me on a couple of calls I have to make? If so, I will have a carriage at your door at 8:00 o’clock tomorrow morning, and I will need your services all day.”

“That will be no problem. I’ll be ready when the carriage arrives. I will also have an answer for you tomorrow about us moving into the home you offered. I am pretty sure that the answer will be yes. Now, I will be leaving. I know that you have other things to do, and I do not want to monopolize your time and inconvenience you. I will see you tomorrow.”

“Very well. May I call you Orville? I had forgotten to ask; please forgive me. I will see you tomorrow morning. Just take the carriage that is waiting for you at the front door. Tell the driver where you want to go, and he will deliver you.”

I got out of there before Hernandez had a chance to change his mind. That carriage ride home was quite an experience. People just caught a glimpse of the carriage and the monogram on its side and jumped out of the way. I felt like royalty as I rode through the town. I got home and went in to talk to my parents and sister.

“Hello, Papa, Mama, Jenny. You will not believe what happened to me today. I will give you the best part first—I have a new full-time job as a bodyguard. It is for Juan Hernandez. Here, Papa, he sent you a present.” I put down the case of beer that I was holding and pulled out a bottle for Papa to see.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.