Injustice III
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2017 by Uncle Jim

The following new character appears in this chapter:

Kathleen O’Farrell

Maureen’s Mother and Paddy’s Daughter, 5’-6’’ tall, 125 pounds, 28 years old, 34C-22-34, reddish hair similar to her Daughter’s and green eyes.

Frank ‘the Fish’ Mastrototaro

Gangster, the man Max is after, 5’-10’’ tall, 32 years of age, 190 pounds, black hair, dark eyes


The previous evening in the Pub around the corner from Paddy’s shop, his three men had gotten a booth near the back and had started drinking before he arrived. On arriving, Paddy grabbed a full pint sitting on the table and downed it before any of them could say anything. He also signaled the server for four more pints. His men were looking at him with questioning expressions, but hadn’t said anything. Paddy sank onto the bench in the booth and sighed.

“He’s a Wizard you know,” he told them.

“Who?” all three asked.

“Max or more specifically Maximilian Hardtrick. He’s the man from Atlanta and Elizabeth, New Jersey. Kevin O’Neil is dead. He pushed him off the roof of one of the new office towers. He was going to hang him, but the noose in the electric wire didn’t hold his weight, and he fell most of the way to the ground,” he finished.

“Kevin ‘Trigger Happy’ O’Neil?” one of them asked.

“The very one. He tipped him off the roof as easy as you please and with nary a regret. Said that he did it so the Fourth Street Gang would leave us alone. He had a bunch of them there to witness it,” he told them and drained another pint of ale.

“But what’s he here for? Is he going to try to clean up Southie?” one of them asked.

“He’s after one of the Patriarca wiseguys who helped murder his kids. That’s what all of this has been about. I don’t remember even ‘Whitey’ being as calm and cool about killing someone. Be glad that he likes us, at least for now,” Paddy told them. By the time they left the Pub later that evening, Paddy was so drunk he could hardly walk. His men helped him home and up to his apartment.


We arrived at the parking area behind Paddy’s shop just before 1000 on Tuesday morning. I had changed license plates that morning as well as the color of the SUV. On entering the shop, it was apparent from his blood shot eyes and the way he slumped in his chair that Paddy was at least hungover if not still drunk.

“What should we do with him?” Jill asked.

“He certainly can’t drive in that condition, and we need to get on with our business before the winter storms return. We don’t need to be stuck here for several weeks with little or nothing to do. I’ll try the hangover spell on him,” I told her before casting the spell on Paddy. Shortly he looked up at us with a shocked expression on his face.

“What did you just do?” he immediately asked.

“I used the hangover spell to cure your problem from last night,” I told him.

“Aye, last night. I may have the same problem tonight. I can’t get it out of my mind how calmly you pushed Kevin off the roof,” he told us and shook his head as if to clear it.

“Is that why you left the Mullen gang ... the killing?” I asked.

“Yes, I could deal with the breaking in and robbing, but I couldn’t deal with the killing.”

“I was in Special Operations for ten years or so. We had people who left for the same reason. I never had a real problem with it, because I could detect the ones who were guilty and needed eliminating,” I told him.

“Could I perform the hangover spell?” he asked changing the subject. I checked his Talent to see. While stronger than what many of the Irish possess, it was not strong enough to cast the hangover spell, but was adequate for opening locks, which only require a tiny bit of Magic.

“Sorry Paddy, but your Talent isn’t strong enough for the hangover spell. I will teach it to Maureen if you agree to me doing that,” I told him to a sad look from him.

“I’m not sure that Maureen should know that at her age,” he told me but soon recovered.

“Are you ready to move into the house?” he asked more cheerfully.

“Yes, we bought groceries and have the luggage in the car,” Jill told him.

“Drive over there, and I’ll meet you there,” he told us before locking the front door and putting a sign in the front window. We eventually made it to the house, but only after determining which way the traffic ran on that street, which was one way. Paddy had the front door open when we arrived. I transferred the groceries to the kitchen, and the luggage to the bedrooms. I had also dropped my wards around our portion of the house. Jill could raise them when she returned. Paddy was surprised that we could unload so quickly. After receiving the keys, we locked up and offered him a ride back to the shop.

Jill parked behind the shop, and I cast a ward around the vehicle once we were all out of it.

“I’m going back to the house and get things set up,” she told us before disappearing. Again, Paddy was surprised.

“She could have stayed there,” he said.

“No, she is the one who drives the SUV most of the time. She has it set up for herself. If I drive it, I have to move the seat and the steering wheel because I’m so much larger than she is,” I explained.

“That makes sense,” Paddy agreed, nodding his head.

“Are you ready to travel to the North End? Traffic should be good for a bit yet before the lunch crowd gets out on the roads,” he told me.

“Of course,” I agreed, but had a question. “Would you like me to cast a ward around your shop?”

“Not today. I’m not sure when we’ll be back, and Maureen needs to be able to get into the shop after school,” he told me.

We used Paddy’s company van for the trip, as he had assured me that there would be any number of contractors vans in the area we were visiting. His van was typical of those used by contractors of every type. He being an electrician, the van was full of electrical supplies, wire and the tools of his trade. It rode well as he took good care of it. It only had O’Farrell Electrical painted on the outside with his phone number.

It was just as well that Paddy did the driving, as he was familiar with Boston’s maze of streets, especially its many one way streets. He didn’t take the Interstate, as it wasn’t that far, perhaps four miles or so.

Prince Street in the North End is a narrow one way street with many old buildings of from three to five stories. They are built mainly of masonry, but with many wood accents. We did pass one new luxury condo site at 44 Prince Street, but I was more interested in the old Patriarca Family’s headquarters here at 98 Prince Street where the Angiulo Brother’s office had been located.

“The Angiulos were busted in 1983. Jerry went to prison in ‘86 along with his brother and son. Frank died in June of 2015, the last of the Angiulos.

“That was about the same time that Carmen ‘The Cheese Man’ DiNunzio was getting out of prison. Matthew ‘Good Looking Matty’ Guglielmetti was also released shortly before that. Carmen’s brother, Anthony, got out of prison in 2018. As far as anyone can tell ‘The Cheese Man’ is now the Boss with Guglielmetti as his underboss, and Joseph ‘Joe the Bishop’ Achille is consigliere.

“The Patriarcas used to hang out at a social club and gambling place on Endicott Street. It was owned by the Angiulo’s ferocious enforcer Larry Zannino. It closed a long time ago when Zannino went to prison. The DiNunzios have a place on Endicott called the Gemini Social Club, which may be the same place as Zannino’s near Endicott and Thacker. There is a new social club where most of the mob’s wiseguys now hangout. It’s also on Endicott but at a different location. It’s called the New Acorn Social Club. I’ll drive by both locations,” Paddy told me.

Prince Street is one way going Southeast whereas Endicott Street ran basically one way North for much of its length. It required some fancy navigation to move from the one to the other due to the narrow one way streets in the area, but Paddy managed it without much trouble.

He had been correct, as we saw a number of contractor vans in the North End, so his probably wouldn’t be noticed. On the trip I got a good look at the locations I was interested in, especially the social clubs’ locations, so I could return at night and check them out.

On the trip back to the shop, the traffic was more congested as more people were on the roads during lunch time. On the return trip, Paddy showed me the big box construction supply store where he purchased a lot of his supplies. I would visit it tomorrow to obtain the items I would need. We made it back to the shop by 1330 that afternoon and went to lunch at the Pub around the corner. We were back in the shop when Maureen arrived there from school.

Jill joined us in the shop just before 1500 that afternoon. She was there to pick up Maureen when she got out of school. Maureen arrived after a short wait, and Jill transferred herself and Maureen to our apartment to begin teaching her to use her Talent and to do Magic. Paddy had agreed to this while we were at lunch. We still needed to speak to Maureen’s Mother however, perhaps tonight.

From what Paddy had told me on the trip today, it appeared that we had been exceedingly fortunate to be near his shop when he needed help. He certainly appeared to be well informed on the history of organized crime in the Boston area.

“Will you come drink with us tonight?” he asked as it grew dark, and his workers began returning.

“I’ll have one with you when everyone is back, but I have reconnaissance to do tonight on Endicott Street,” I told him.

“But how will you get there?” he asked.

“I’ll just transfer to an alley that I took note of today and pay a visit to those at the New Acorn Social Club to see what I can learn. It may take several nights to learn all that I need to know. Tomorrow or the next day, I’ll need to visit one of the big box construction supply stores to obtain the supplies I’ll need here in Boston and where ever the trail leads to the Magic Haters,” I told him.

“You can go all the way back there having seen it only once?” Paddy asked in a disbelieving voice.

“Of course, we, that is my Team and I, did that in Ashcanastan. It’s really not difficult, at least for me. Some Magic users would need to be more familiar with the location before being able to transfer there,” I told him.

We were joined by the last of his employees and adjourned to the Pub around the corner for some ale. I only had one pint and nursed it for some time. The others had several pints while I was there and continued after I had left. Jill had a nice dinner prepared when I arrived at the apartment. Maureen was still there also, as her Mother hadn’t returned from work yet.

“Maureen will be eating with us,” Jill told me when I appeared in the kitchen after transferring from the Pub.

“You’ve been drinking with Grandfather,” the youngster said very perceptively.

“Yes, I had one pint. Your Grandfather and the others had several before I left, and they are still there,” I told her to a sad look from her.

“Yes, almost every night,” she said.

“Come eat, dinner is ready,” Jill told us, and led the way to the table. We enjoyed a fine home cooked meal then, and Maureen seemed to greatly enjoy the meal. We had been finished only a short time, when I detected someone else enter the house.

“That’s my Mother,” Maureen told us before I could say anything.

“We should go upstairs and meet your Mother. I really need her permission to teach you Magic, Maureen,” Jill told her.

“Yes, all right,” Maureen said but didn’t sound very enthusiastic about us meeting her Mother.

I knocked on the front door to the second floor apartment rather than bursting in as Maureen would have had us do, or transferring to the other side of the door. It was answered shortly by a woman who resembled Maureen closely, but she was older being about 28 or 29 years old. She was about 5’-6’’ tall, 125 pounds more or less, 34C-22-34 with reddish hair similar to Maureen’s and green eyes.

“Yes?” she asked on opening the door part way, before seeing Maureen with us.

“Is there a problem?’ she quickly added.

“No, we’re your new neighbors. We’re staying on the first floor for a short time. We just came up to meet you. I’m Jill and this is my Husband, Max,” Jill told her.

“Has Maureen been bothering you? My Father usually watches her until I get home. Oh. I’m Kathleen O’Farrell,” she told us.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.