The Empire - Book 3
Chapter 14: Cockroaches?

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Jason woke earlier than usual, and felt an emerging sense of unease. He knew the feeling, and it was of danger. He waited until he was due to go on his run, which was when the most senior guard would be awake, and alerted him to his premonitions.

“This is an emerging problem of some sort. I do not get the sense it is today. The threat is developing towards me. Please inform the Emperor’s guards to be extra alert, and ready for an attack, and for the battleship and Marines to similarly be ready and on alert.

“Jonathan, please alert the bugs. We need to be prepared to have cloaked gunships and troops ready for instant action for the next few days,” Jason said urgently.

Jonathan gave him a shield activation sphere that was similar to those that were activated by Philippa on the Heath. He also gave him a transdim backpack, as it was too heavy to lug around otherwise.

Jason chose to walk with the dogs and his guard to the campus, and run on the track to break his usual routine. His sense of foreboding grew during the day. He called Cassius, and told him the arrangements he had made and suggested that Cassius should be on alert, too, and that the family should stay together if possible. Jason went on to the gym.

Cassius invited the top physics academicians to visit, and prepared to give them a sight and sound show. ‘The Alana’ had also come to him, to say that she had sensed danger, less to them, and more to Jason; but also had a sense of a growing danger and wanted him to move faster so she could quickly upgrade the University education.

Jason and his group sat at their usual morning breakfast table after the gym. They were all invigorated by their workouts, and pleased with their physics triumph of yesterday. They tried not to rub it in for Cyril, but nonetheless he heard bits of it and was even more determined to perform up to their standard. He was now working increasingly hard and further ahead with the learning machines and was able to increase his lab work after discussion with the laboratory assistant.

A familiar group moved to sit near them. Jason recognized them from the lab and waved. They were a very friendly lot; and the two tables had joked with each other, and teased each other, since their first day. Jason was struggling to get over the heavy sense of impending trouble, and keep a cheerful face, when one of the young women from the next table patted him on the shoulder and asked if she could speak to him.

Jason was happy to be distracted. She was a very attractive, blue-eyed, blonde, long curly haired, Scandinavian looking young lady. Jason saw that she wasn’t as tall as he was but looked as though she was fit and strong.

“This is not the place to have the confidential discussion that I want to have with you. I would like to meet you briefly, at lunchtime, next to the fountain in front of the restaurant where most of us eat lunch. It is a matter of grave urgency. It will be well worth your while. There is not enough time or privacy, here and now!”

“Okay, I will see you there after the lab,” Jason said.

Jason saw that his guards were alert, but Jason did not sense danger from her. At the same time, getting very close to her, she had a strange feel about her. It nagged him but she did not trigger his ring. Their group was exceptionally intelligent, and performed very well. They were right behind Jason’s group in the rankings without the obvious benefit of his group’s learning advantages.

He didn’t know any more about any of her group’s backgrounds.

They commenced work in the electronics laboratory for the first time that morning. The first part was the usual familiarization with the equipment. There were seven different trans-dimensional rooms that lead off from the main laboratory.

Many components of any advanced electronic device operated in one or more different dimensions. The components that were used in a dimension needed to be constructed in that dimension.

Most students were familiar with trans-dimensional work from school. Most advanced components relied on cultivated crystals. Many hypothesized that the crystals that were found in the different dimensions were simply creations of a more advanced species that chose not to identify itself, but assisted their development.

The alternate dimensional work was very tedious. Jason could not understand why they simply did not build smaller box size dimensional rooms that one could look in from outside, with only the hands and some equipment being within the different dimension. The lab technician, when asked, told him that they had been unable to build smaller rooms. Students had to dress appropriately, and arm themselves, for some dimensions. Work on electronics was, for some reason, much less dangerous than acquiring a crystal.

Computers and other electronic equipment were never attacked. Any attack was against people. Jason had no sense of danger from any of the rooms. He just did not like the inconvenience of their use. He knew from his studies, that smaller structures were in common use in Charassa. He decided that he would try and build some of his own when he got home. He interrogated his AI to obtain the necessary structural plans as he completed the laboratory.

Jason communicated with the guard, via his interface, to say that he was meeting with the young woman from breakfast. She was going to tell him something of great import. He said that he didn’t get a sense of danger from her. He did detect an unusual feel about her, though she did not trigger his ring.

Jason saw her on the far side of the fountain from the restaurant. There was a lovely outlook over a park, from the bench where she was seated. The fountain was beautiful and the splashing tinkling water sounds were calming and relaxing. Jason plonked himself down next to her.

“Act like we are simply sitting here and not conversing with each other,” she said. They were seated at different ends of the bench.

“First, Jason, I am going to tell you something, and then I’m going to ask you something. In doing this, I am putting myself and a number of others at extreme risk. I want you to appreciate that what I am going to tell you, you would have been very unlikely to find out for yourself. Tomorrow, around this time, there is going to be an attack upon you. It will be a lot like the one where they attempted to attack the emperor on the Heath.

“They believe that you are a profound threat to them. I will tell you more about what I know, but I now want to make my request. I am part of a group that has come here from a very advanced culture. In fact, I am part of a dissident group, who escaped my culture because of the experience of my parents. We are fugitives here, but are now in considerable danger. In brief my parents are part of a Royal family of my species. The military gained control since a coup d’état, a very, very long time ago.

“My family has been held hostage without it being known to most of the population, to maintain harmony within the society. The military has been fomenting trouble in our galaxy. They instigated an intergalactic war a long time ago, and a smaller one in the not so distant past. Our family is highly educated and was permitted to participate in contributing to the society, because of the unique skills and abilities they have cultivated. The military has been plotting for a very long time to undertake another attack on this galaxy.

“They have attempted attacks in a number of other galaxies but have been pushed back by advanced technologically based societies, as was the case in this galaxy previously. They have been slowly infiltrating the Empire and The Mob.

They needed our genetic skills to do this. Our family was forced to participate in some of these projects, but we have ensured that these people can be identified by technology we also created. Our family made sure their children who have been modified to live in this galaxy will not be detected and can have fulfilling lives of their own. Our intelligence is telling us that our opponents within the Empire are being mopped up, using an unknown technology.

“Somehow their intelligence infiltrated some of our facilities, as they are desperate to get the technology to continue their program. We eliminated them, but we were too late. They are aware of our existence and are also intent on wiping us out. This is a species of whom you probably have not heard about.

“If you think you may be of assistance, I will tell you more, but not today. You need to survive tomorrow. I do not know the extent of the forces but I do know it will be a very determined attempt. From what we can tell, the aim is to scare the Emperor into inaction. They see you as an important enemy, and intend to eliminate you. They want the Empire to be neutral, and later ripe for the picking.

“They have been infiltrating the Empire for a long time, and they are many. Farewell. Heed my warning well, and I hope you survive tomorrow.” She got up and stretched, then walked into the restaurant. Jason was surprised, but less than she would have expected. He waited a few more minutes before he also stood. He slowly walked into the restaurant to join his group.

Jason returned home to discuss what he had heard with his security. Because of the size of the threat, he flew up to the battleship to discuss it in more detail with his full team. He took Gamma, Norbert, and Jonathan with him back to the ship, along with the senior members of his security detail. Major Constance Ross - Marine Intelligence, recently returned from Charassa - Colonel Phoebe Harris - who was returning with modified fighters - along with Janet Malone, Colonel of Marines, General Celia Ford, General Karen Dupree, and Admiral Felicia Macdonald. They had been spending the day with their teams, planning to deal with the imminent threat. The contact from Alana lent even more weight to the importance of the event. They were working flat out with Empire intelligence, the emperor’s Secret Service, and with his protection detail.

“Imperial Intelligence tells us four hundred soldiers, along with tanks and gunships, avoided apprehension, and managed to disappear off the face of the planet from one of the army bases that ring the capital. They disappeared hours before we commenced a sweep of the base, as they had returned here from Beelier,” Karen Dupree said. “They are heavily armored, and carry all their weapons. They have heavy gunships with the equivalent of frigate level weaponry for assault on heavily defended positions. The colonel in charge of them is regarded as a fine tactician and is an experienced soldier.

“They are undetectable by Empire technology. Their identification and transponder queries do not elicit any response. Usually there is no way to switch these devices off. Their implants also do not respond. We cannot find them either and that means they have a base somewhere deep underground. A force of that size could do major damage to their chosen target. They are well armed and well-trained. We are going to have to be very careful.

Jason called Cassius, with his team present, and told him about the young woman from the University in considerable detail. Jason said that his suspicion was that they were a new generation of the cockroaches or even a more sophisticated earlier version if his device didn’t pick them up. He did say that he had picked up a strange feel from her which he couldn’t quite identify, but he would recognize the feeling if he came across another one like her.

Cassius said that he was supportive of Jason speaking to her, because if what she said was true they would be potential major assets to the Empire.

“Jason that young woman on Yimza said we would meet others like her. She was a distant cousin of the Cockroach Royals. It is a pity she said so little, but I understand she needs to know you can survive the day tomorrow. I will also talk to Ouma Chatzke about what is happening and keep her fully briefed. I am sure that Ouma Chatzke would very much like the opportunity for her medical team to be able to examine one of the newer cockroaches in order to provide a way of identifying them in bulk. Jason your black hole is growing in bulk and attracting more trouble,” Cassius said laughing. Then turning serious, he said, “This is big trouble. Be careful my boy. Make sure you have enough force to do the job and you do not need to worry about the University. I will place my augmented troops and equipment to provide protection.

“Jason, my biggest concern is for the safety of the students on campus, but I don’t see how we can act further than I have explained, without warning the enemy. If you do change your routine, it would make another future attack less predictable, and no matter where you will be, there is going to be a risk of collateral damage. If you simply stay on the ship, the attack will be diverted to some other high priority target.

“Celia and Felicia, you need to ensure Jason will be safe. I don’t want him exposed to unnecessary risk!” Cassius said before cutting the connection.

The next day was gray with a thin mist of rain. Jason thought it was an appropriately miserable day. His guards had been instructed not to change his routine. He had told the dogs to help protect him, the day before. He ran with them on the track, then worked out in the gym with his group and sparred with them. Jason nevertheless felt strung out, as he had not slept well. He’d awoken in the middle of the night and had spoken to both The One and Porquenta, briefing both of them in detail.

There was no sense of imminent threat, just a general sense of foreboding. He ordered the parts that he needed to build the trans-dimensional boxes which he intended to build at home. There he’d test the boxes, and then ask for permission to take them to the laboratory.

They attended an orientation for information technology, and were shown their large holographic interfaces to the computer. They could also use their verbal interfaces, but sometimes it was necessary to type to edit in order to get the syntax just right after dictating to the brain. Jason could interface directly to the machines and worked faster than anyone else.

They were given their first programming task, which was a fairly simple program without any trans-dimensional branches or subroutines. He found the morning a useful familiarization exercise and it took his mind off his concerns.

Jason finished the session, and could feel that the time was nigh. He called the guards, called the ship, and called the dogs. The bugs had spent some time with the sensor technicians, showing them how pick up the modes of cloaking with the new equipment.

The sensors picked up a pair of gunships, but nothing smaller. Gunships were sent from the ship to intercept the enemy and dogs were directed by the battle AI to the site of the gunships. The first group of dogs removed those in command and the pilots, and the second brought in marine pilots and sufficient Marines to take over without significant bloodshed. The dogs returned. Jason began to walk towards the restaurant. Several tanks de-cloaked in the park and began to move towards Jason but were overcome by dogs who manifested inside the tanks and created havoc.

Soldiers began to appear from hidden emplacements in the park and were swiftly taken down by dogs and Marines. Other dogs returned to the ship with six snipers who were hidden on campus. A single shot was fired at Jason but was blocked by his shield.

When the enemy was all in custody, and after a vigilant half an hour, General Celia Ford declared an all clear. The AI returned to the laboratory, and Jason walked back to the restaurant. The AI clone of Jason, one of several made as a double for Jason on Charassa, left for the ship.

It was all over in minutes. Most people on campus would have seen tanks appear then sink down again into the park, and thought little of it. The soldiers did not make it out of the park. The snipers were unseen. The gunships never made it to the city.

Jason joined his group after apologizing for being late, as he had forgotten something in the lab. The young woman of the previous day sat next to him. She said she was pleased he was alive, and that she had enjoyed the show as brief as it had seemed to be. She suggested that he look at his Brain, as there would be a message there for five minutes only.

After lunch he met her sitting on the same bench. The park had been cleared, but there was a very long scorch mark that was being cut out of the green ground cover and new cover was replacing it.

“I suspect there was more to this than was apparent. I am impressed. Jason, my name is Razza Croft. Today, you have taken some oppressive pressure off me. The group that attacked you was a pretty lethal force, consisting of beings sent from another galaxy. I hesitate to tell you of my background, as it will sound so fanciful. But I will tell it all to you in private. We cannot meet again like this in public in the short term, until the situation is clearer.

“Razza I would suggest that you visit me at my home this evening. I do think I know of your family. Your family looks to be cockroaches. Perhaps your father’s name is Dawood Char and your mother is Kreb, both of whom are geneticists. Your grandfather is the emperor. Your family was desperate for you to be safe, and the current situation is rapidly deteriorating with the threatened attack of the Mollusks from Dhoom.

“Am I on the right track, Razza, or am I my mistaking you for someone else?” Jason asked her with a smile as she sat there with her mouth agape, looking at him. “Razza, if you sit like that with your mouth open, you might catch a fly. Your Brain will show my address for five minutes, starting now,” Jason said smiling, as he called his dogs, waved, and walked home. He was pleased with them. They knew it, and ran and jumped around him like happy puppies.

Ouma Chatzke had called Jason in the early hours of that morning, to provide the most likely identity of the parents of the young lady. The family was well known to her intelligence services. Their emperor was much loved and the military could not take the chance to massacre the beloved royal family who contributed so much to their worlds. The cockroaches were ruled by a ruthless, paranoid dictatorship. Insurrection was mercilessly crushed.

The Intelligence service penetrated every area of society. Many liked the aggressive stance that was taken, and were quite happy to support the military. The military provided a good living, dominated the society, and lived very well. Razza Croft’s reaction left him in no doubt that she was, as he suspected, a member of the Royal family. However, her inadvertent reaction, despite her attempt to mask it, indicated a level of power that he had felt in very few people. He had little doubt that she was a formidable young roach. He intended to be very careful, indeed.

Ouma Chatzke had said to him that the Royal cockroaches never had an opportunity to obtain allies, as they had been suddenly unseated and ruthlessly controlled. This was a unique opportunity for an important intelligence coup. Ouma Chatzke sent her most senior intelligence operative, General Grommet Rikkel, to be with Jason when he met with Razza. He was due late in the afternoon.

Jason called Cassius first, followed by a call to his Uncle Harry. They were both well informed, but were delighted to hear from Jason. Cassius had his bug technicians and engineers working on the cloaking of the tanks and of the soldiers, in order to provide that information to the Imperium and the Collective. Every captured soldier was found to be a cockroach of a detectable type.

Jason called Ouma Chatzke and told her that her intelligence was fantastic, and was spot on about Razza’s origins. He then spoke to Philippa who was engaged in family matters, but promised to return within the week.

“Jason, do not get involved with that good-looking young cockroach. You are mine, and I will have no disgusting cockroaches anywhere near me or my family,” Philippa said as she burst into tears. “I am sorry; I am getting fat, ugly, and emotional. The baby is doing well and I can feel it moving.

“Lots of pregnant women are reading everything that the Emperor’s physician has recommended. He delivered the Emperor’s family, and his word is received with reverence.

“I am sure you didn’t know that the Emperor sent a thousand obstetricians to train the doctors here on how to do antenatal care, deliver babies, and look after babies subsequently. He tells me that he has cleared out the medical school of cockroaches, and has sent hundreds of thousands of nurses and midwives to every area of the Collective to be able to assist as is needed.

“The doctors here acquired all the information that doctors receive within the training in the Empire, about babies and expected developmental trajectories, problems, and subsequent problems following birth. Child development is also a hot topic of interest.

“The Emperor’s physician tells me that the physicians and other medical personnel that he has sent are thoroughly enjoying their own bug education, and have largely chosen to remain in their bug state. They do revert, if they are showing the examination of a woman who is delivering a human baby. Many have said exactly the same as we have. They have been so long in the same state that they have become bored. They are enjoying something completely different, with unique challenges and new level of technology. They are giving back a lot as well. They are learning our physiology, illnesses, and the differences in grub and pupae development we insect species face. They all do the bug medical education at night, and simulators for an hour or so a day.

“I do miss you a lot and I am looking forward to getting back to Charassa. We have quite a few planets to manage and it’s a big job. I have always played a pretty central and active role, while my sisters were largely on the sidelines. I’m now expecting them to do a lot more. My mother has explained to them that I’m expected to have a new role, outside of our galaxy, and they are going to need to take up the slack. However, being here has also given me time to find a first class chief executive to act as my general manager, and a new very much more powerful AI.

“I have had to spend some time working with them to get them up to speed. My sisters do have a lot of help, but they need to play active supervisory roles at a very high level. They have the skills, they have the intelligence, they have the abilities, and they have the drive; but as yet, they don’t quite have the confidence to do it on their own. My sisters want to see you again, soon.

“I am delighted we have a trip planned here when the baby is due.

“I was very upset today. I don’t like you to be in danger. Don’t let your guard down! Cockroaches are persistent and hide in dark places. Now I must get back to work. I’ll see you in a week.”

With that said, she was gone. Jason had not said a single word! He thought that despite being in different galaxies, that she must somehow be related to Cassius. Maybe all Kings, Queens, and Emperors were like that, though Alana was very different. She fully involved herself in conversations and listened intently. She actively worked to ensure everyone participated in the conversation. He had to admit Philippa was usually like Alana, but was unusually worked up, today.

Razza Croft arrived for dinner as invited with a friend. She was a pleasant utterly gorgeous, raven haired young lady called Trackrof Graf, who arrived in a tight red dress that left little to the imagination. Jason introduced them to Jonathan, Norbert, Celia Ford, Felicia Macdonald, Gamma, Constance Ross; and General Grommet Rikkel and Colonel Osgood Grunwald (Empire intelligence). Jason explained that they were the group of people who assisted and advised him. The dinner went well, with pleasant light conversations. They talked about the University, food, weather and other innocuous subjects. After the meal Jason suggested that Razza explain what the issues were, and what the outcome was that she wished to achieve.

“I assume that Jason has told you the background?” asked Razza. When they all nodded their heads she went on to say. “As Jason so eloquently stated, the first impression appears to be the ‘cockroaches’ as he calls us, will be at war with the ‘octopi’ as we call them,” Razza said enigmatically.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.