Accidental Merlin - Cover

Accidental Merlin

Copyright© 2017 by nadleeh

Chapter 9: My Best Friend Is a Cat

I started meditating; I was rotating the energy around my meridians. I had noticed that my new meridians were a lot easier to flow the energy around in and with the better flow I was able to circulate the energy around myself a lot more times. I had cracked into the nineties the day after I got my new meridians and my rate of improvement was increasing, just as John had predicted.

I had noticed that every 30 rotations my abilities would spike: after the first 30, I had reached the peak of the human physique. After 60 rotations my body had been broken down and born anew, I was now beyond the human limits of physical attributes, supernaturally strong, supernaturally fast. 90 quite honestly was a disappointment, sure my physical attributes increased, but not by much the main thing that happened was I was able to form a thin projection of void particles outside my body temporarily sealing of myself from the outside world.

After 90 I could hold the void sphere for around 10 seconds. In these last 2 weeks I had reached to 99 rotations this allowed me to hold the invisible barrier up for about 90 seconds. I was about to break into the 100s and become a true mage. There was a bottleneck between 99 and 100. At the moment I was a mage disciple but after breaking through into the 100s I would become a true mage. Finally taking a step into what John called the true world.

It was after midnight that I woke up from my meditation, not having made any progress beyond 99 rotations. I was woken up by a loud ripping noise. I opened my eyes to see a sword blade ripping my tent apart, slashing towards me. I hurriedly dodged out of the way. I rolled out of the tent from the front, without grabbing my sword or any weapon. I ducked and rolled to the left out of some kind of instinct. I felt something cold whiz past me as I rolled away, I turned around and looked up to see my assailant’s face, but it was too dark. There was enough moonlight to see the shiny sword but not enough for me to clearly make out the attackers face.

I scrambled to my feet and moved left avoiding a thrust, I tilted my body avoiding an upward slash, and I ducked underneath a decapitating strike. I kept dodging and retreating moving away from the tents moving myself to a more open ground.

Then I heard his cackling laughter, I instantly knew who he was. “I heard you’ve been actin’ like some kind of genius swordsman, fighting multiple opponents on your own, showin’ off your fancy sabre techniques. Teaching MY RECRUITS! You lowly, filthy pleb, reaching above your station” he raved “you beat me by cheating and then used MY reputation to cheat your way into becoming the best swordsman here. I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST! YOU RUINED MY PLANS!!!”

I avoid a thrust at my shoulder, he was ranting and raving, but he was also swinging the sword. He didn’t do the villain thing and stop to monologue. The raving lunatic was multi-tasking. “Hello David” I said back, narrowly avoiding another slash. “nice to see you out and about, haven’t seen you for this past fortnight, where have you been pal?” a thought went through my head of {why am I antagonising the crazy man with the sword?} But that thought was interrupted by a vertical slash, which I avoided by side stepping to the right. He swung backhand with a horizontal slash, I had predicted this move and already moved out of his range.

“You dirty rat! Stop dodging and fight me!” he shouted, people were waking up and starting to get out of their tents by this point. Hopefully someone would come and subdue him.

“No thanks” I said ducking underneath another wild swing, I wanted no parts of him. I was hoping that he would make enough noise that some of the other soldiers would notice and come deal with it.

He swung back, I dodged backwards. I fell into his trap. The backswing was a feint and he changed his swing midway and turned it into a thrust. The sword should have pierced me through, but I was saved by my new void infused skin. The sword barely left a scratch as it slid past my waist ripping my tunic. A light gleamed in David’s eye; he now knew that I was more than human. He had felt the contact with my skin and instead of gutting me all he had managed to do was ruin my night shirt.

David was opening his mouth to reveal my secret. I hurriedly summoned my kukri behind my back. I intended to use my supernatural speed to silence him. “I KNEW YOU WER--” an arrow pierced him through the neck. At the same time I had moved stabbing him through the chest.

It’s hard to stab someone in the chest. The chest offers natural protections other parts of the body don’t. The ribcage is a lot harder to penetrate than you would think from Hollywood movies. There are the hard bones and two layers of strong intercostal muscle, the lungs which is soft and kind of like a sponge and the heart, which is surprisingly thick and hard to pierce as it is surrounded by the double walled fibrous pericardial sac. But I managed it. I saw David’s eyes go wide as he realise what had happened, then I had to close my eyes as some blood sprayed onto my face from the neck wound. I pulled my knife out, and blood gushed out. His mouth was filled with blood as the blood rushed out of his heart and filled his lungs. He died pretty quickly as the blood was no longer being pumped into his brain and the brain cells died of oxygen deprivation.

Various thoughts went through my head:

#1: who shot that arrow?

#2: Is it still Deus ex-Machina if you were about to kill him anyway?

#3: I just murdered someone, it was an active choice, he had found out about my secret and I had actively decided he could not be allowed to live.

#4: It is a lot harder to stab someone than I realised. It was. People don’t realise it but they naturally hold back some of their strength in a fight. It takes years of training or some psychopathy to fully consciously hit someone full force. It’s like those brick breaking karate videos, the key is to aim through the brick and follow through. Normal people instinctually aim at the top of the brick and don’t follow through.

I collapsed on the grass, sitting down opposite the body. I took a couple of deep ragged breaths, turned over on all fours and started to heave. I wasn’t feeling sick to my stomach. That would come later. This was the excess adrenaline. I saw Isiah come walking up, he had his own hunting bow in his hand, a quiver slung on his back. I guess I knew who shot David. He offered me his hand to pull me up, I gladly accepted. I grabbed his hand with my hands (which still trembling from the excess adrenaline still coursing through my body) and he pulled me up.

“Thanks” I said, he knew I meant for shooting David and not for picking me up

“You’re heavier than you look” he said acknowledging my thanks, not mentioning anything about my bloodied hands.

“What happened here!?” Staff Sergeant Randel said coming through the crowd that was forming. He was followed by Corporal Mark.

He had a lit torch with him, he pointed it down to look at the body, when he saw that it was David’s he furrowed his brows and then sent Mark to check on the brig and see what had happened to the person who was supposed to be guarding David.

The Staff Sergeant noticed the arrow sticking out of David’s neck and Isiah’s bow and said “you two follow me”

We followed behind quietly; he took us into the medical tent. Not where I was expecting, I was expecting the command tent or straight to the brig, not the medical tent.

He looked at my upper body and commanded “strip” I immediately took my ruined shirt off. The medic came bustling in, yawning.

“Check him out” he said to the medic pointing at me.

“It’s just a scratch” I said. It was just a scratch I could feel how deep the thrust went and I knew that it hadn’t penetrated deeply at all. But it was bleeding profusely so the jack the medic checked me out. He cleaned up the wound and wrapped it and pronounced that it was indeed just a scratch.

“So, what happened?” the Sergeant asked brusquely.

I explained to him about sleeping in my tent when I heard it being ripped. I told him about me avoiding the wild slashes from an unknown assailant, about recognizing it was David because of his mad rantings, about him wanting to kill me because “I took his rightful place as the best swordsman”. I then told him about him nearly stabbing me through, about the arrow piercing his throat and then me stabbing him through the chest.

He seemed to have figured most of it out already and was nodding along to my story. “Why didn’t you use your knife from the beginning?” he asked

“He was stark raving mad, I thought me being unarmed might calm him down. I was really just hopping to distract him long enough for someone to sneak in from the back and tackle him to the ground. I didn’t want to kill” I said being completely honest about the situation.

He turned to Isiah. “Why did you shoot him? Why not wait for someone more experienced?”

“I saw Emris lead him away towards the opening, the fight woke me up. I saw that Emris was unarmed so I took my hunting bow when I went outside. When I saw him almost stab Emris I thought I should end this, so I loosed my arrow.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.