Accidental Merlin - Cover

Accidental Merlin

Copyright© 2017 by nadleeh

Chapter 7: Overachieving Swordsman Recruit #2

I walked over to the medical tent, looking for Corporal Robert. He was on the bed laying prone, shirtless, revealing a massive ugly looking bruise that was starting to form. A medic hovering over him, tutting.

“Ouch that looks like it hurts” I said to no one in particular. “How are you doing Corporal?” I asked.

“Hurts like hell, I am going to kill that little bastard the next time I see him.” he said grimacing in pain

“Well you won’t have to wait long; he should be coming to the tent any time now. The bastard challenged me to a duel, so I broke his nose. And you aren’t going to be hurting anybody for the next 5 weeks at least, if I miss my guess” I said

“Good eye” the medic stated. “I was going to reduce the swelling and let out some of the blood maybe even perform a venesection to accelerate his wellness”

“Why? All he has is a couple of bruised or cracked ribs. It will heal faster if we don’t do anything. All bloodletting is going to do is make you wrap the letting site which may cause pneumonia”

“I follow the teachings of Hippocrates and Galen, I will not be talked down to by a recruit with folksy wisdom” he said snootily.

“I also know of the teaching of Hippocrates of Kos and Galen of Pergamon, but bloodletting would require taping his ribs. This would mean he wouldn’t be able to breathe as deeply, thus unable to expel the stale air. So the foul air may settle at the bottom of his lungs and that foul air could cause pneumonia” I explained calmly “and as to why I interfere in your course of treatment: In quascunque autem aedes introiero, eas adaegrotantium opem ingrediar. Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick.” I replied reciting a passage from the Hippocratic Oath, I had done a paper on the history of modern medicine for my pharmacology class.

He looked at me, sighed “I apologise, I didn’t expect to find someone as educated as you in the countryside, especially amongst the recruits. But I still recommend a full course of weekly venesections to accelerate his healing.”

“Go ahead, but I really don’t see how reducing the amount of blood he has will help heal his bones any faster.”

I turned to Corporal Robert. “This is what you need to do for the next 4-5 weeks:

First and foremost rest and take time off work if you need to

Breathe normally and cough when you need to – this helps clear mucus from your lungs to prevent chest infections

If you need to cough, hold a pillow against your chest provides support and allows you to clear your lungs more.

After a couple of days start walking around and sometimes move your shoulders to help you breathe and clear mucus from your lungs

Take 10 slow, deep breaths every hour to help clear your lungs

Try to sleep more upright for the first few nights” I said, reciting the NHS’s recommendations on the treatment of bruised or broken ribs, it was on a poster in one of the corridors I passed multiple times daily for 3 years.

I also ground up some willow bark and snuck in some of my stolen paracetamol to make pain relieving tea to help with the pain.

“Get some rest, it will help you get better faster” I said gently patting him on the shoulder.

About this time two of the instructors came in dragging a beaten pulp behind them. They were literally dragging him by the ankles, so they obviously didn’t like the guy. The guy they were dragging looked out of it: He had a broken nose. His eyes were bruised black. He had odd lumps in his jaws, which looked to me like he had recently lost a few teeth. His jaw looked dislocated. And he had 3 lumps forming on his forehead. He looked familiar, but in that state I doubted if even his mother could recognise the poor bastard.

“WHAT happened here!? WHO did that to him!!!” the medic shouted out loud.

“The fool here accused Boss Randel of not refereeing properly, and challenged him” the one on the right spat

“He is to be treated whilst being tied to the bed and when he’s fixed he is going to the brig!” the soldier on the left said.

“Wait, is that...” I said trailing off in disbelief

“Yeah it’s Private David” the one on the left said

“I can’t believe he is that stupid, who would be stupid enough to challenge the beast of Bothra?” the medic exclaimed

I later found out that the beast of Bothra incident involved the staff sergeant singlehandedly destroying a 20 man bandit crew, whilst they tried to rob the village of Bothra. It cost me 20 laps around the camp, worth it.

“Him apparently.” I said pointing my thumb in David’s direction. “I would be careful I was you, he seemed to be going feral out there” feral was an accurate term of describing David.

I went back to the camp grounds, and we were doing spear practice again, so of we went to thrust town again, but now we were doing some straight vertical slashes as well. We continued on till about 6 in the evening and then we were told to clean up and dismissed for the day.

Most of us were exhausted and for once this included me as well (from last night’s activities), so we quickly washed up, ate our supper and went to sleep.

The next two weeks basically repeated the last two days, we did running in the morning followed by breakfast, followed by shield practice, followed by lunch, followed by either sword practice or spear practice. The training seemed more focused on building our stamina than actual combat prowess. We would run further, hold our shields up for longer, slash for longer and of course thrust for longer. We were taught in group battles that individual skill counted for much less than the guy next to or in front of you holding up his shield properly during the battle.

This isn’t to say that we weren’t taught how to fight properly, we were. We learnt about using the shields to trap, how to use the shield as a weapon to bash. We learnt how to hook using the spears, how to sweep at the ankles and how to properly slash with the spear. We were taught how to “fight for the centre”, which was basically an imaginary point in the middle of the slash where the two opposing slashes would collide.

But mainly it was running around building stamina.

I learnt I was not as good at the spear as I was at the sword (I was still better than any normal human). I suppose that may have something to do with the fact that I had three more months of training with the sword than with the spear. Mentally, I actually preferred the spear to the sword. I firmly believed that the spear was the king of all bladed weapons and really nothing could compensate for the reach advantage. But for some reason I was so much more comfortable with the sword than the spear. Especially the single edged Viking sword, somehow that sword came naturally to me. Ever since the first use. It was almost as if it was made for me. I suppose that had to do with my height, I was 6’1” which for those times made me Shaq (ok not Shaq, maybe Dwight Howard); the average height was only around 5’5”. Matt’s sword was taken from a raiding Viking captain and they tended to be a bit taller, so the sword being an appropriate length for me made sense.

Even so, since I started using that sword, I was simply unbeatable in the platoon. I had instinctually started combining some of Chinese broadsword techniques into my fighting style and that combined with my strange comfort with the sword meant I was unbeatable. I even bested the Staff Sergeant, which I was told had never happened. I even gained the approval of Sergeant Bernard the quartermaster to swap “David’s” instructors sword to my Viking sabre.

So that is how it came to be that I was in the demonstration area, facing off against 3 people: my own instructor Mark, a Private Thomas and another overachieving recruit (I would tell you his name but recruits weren’t given the privilege of being acknowledged). I was in the centre surrounded on three sides by my opponents. I was standing straight up in a non-defensive posture, with my sabre in my right hand and my shield in my left, waiting, about 5 breaths went by, no one made a move. Then. With an unspoken command all three made their move, Mark and Thomas came at me at the same time, both with right handed overhand swings aimed at my torso. The overachiever was a bit more clever, he did a stutter step to the left cheating over more towards Thomas’s side, offsetting his timing by half a step from Mark and Thomas. I stepped forward and lightly deflected Mark’s strike, moving it just enough that it actually struck Thomas’s strike, overachiever’s stutter step meant he avoided my entanglement and came at me directly from behind instead of my left with a thrust aimed at my spine. I was moving forward in order to deflect Mark and used that same momentum, to take another step forward, literally hopping forward, moving me out of the overachiever’s range. I used a reverse sweeping strike to try and hit Mark with the back of my sabre, but it was blocked at the last second by the overachiever changing his thrust into a parry.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.