The Mob - Book 2 - Cover

The Mob - Book 2

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 13: Ouma Chatzke

Transport on Charassa was by portal over longer distances or if people were in a hurry. The bugs preferred to walk unless time was short or the distances were long. They saw exercise as part of the day’s self-discipline. If a portal was used, it had a numeric pad and the destination was dialed. The portal then announced a connection, and the bug went through to their destination. Some portals went to secure destinations and had guards at the entry points. They went by Portal to a military base and then they were guided to their portal and their guard dialed the destination.

Jason thought it was a pity he had seen nothing of the city or the outside. The hospital was a building like many others, with colors in the brown and red spectrum on the walls, and the studio looked similar to those he had seen on TV. The portals were a great concept. There was no feeling of doing anything other than walking through a doorway that looked like it was shielded.

They found themselves in the entrance hall of a large home, in the center of which stood an abstract statue. There was a very interesting and intriguing smell present, which Jason enjoyed. He could see that both Montgomery and Winston had both noticed the smell and also smiled.

The light on Charassa was of a dimmer level than that to which he was accustomed. They were welcomed by a small but jovial flea into the home and were conducted into a conference room. ‘Seated’ at the table were several insects.

At the head of the table was a very elegant praying mantis that looked much like Jason did when he was in his insect form. Also present at the table were two beetles and a fly. They were not sitting on chairs but lying in the same boat-like structures that he had seen at the television studio, as the bug equivalent of a chair. The table was lower than Jason was accustomed to, but the chairs put them at a comfortable height. The chairs were well padded and comfortable as they were not as low as a child’s play table, yet not quite as high as tables on Earth or in the Empire. Jason also noticed that the floor beneath their chairs had been lowered with a trench created that ensured perfect adjustment of their height for the table. He was very impressed by the enormous attention to detail.

The flea introduced Ouma Chatzke who then introduced the other guests to Montgomery, Winston, and Jason. She explained that they were her senior government advisers in the areas that she wished to discuss. Jason had a very strong feeling of familiarity with Ouma Chatzke. He could feel she was amused.

“Jason,” she said, “we do indeed know each other from way back. By virtue of descent and its limitations, you do not fully remember me, however, those memories will return, all in good time. We recognize your people via the ancient DNA we found. Your people must have found a radical new technology to send DNA as part of your descent. They were a very advanced species even when we were in our infancy. We believe your DNA is Royal Ancient as well as Royal Empire. As your people visited often and shared medical technology and were allies, we know their DNA well, as did they ours.

“There are many matters we would like to discuss from the simplest to the most complex. If I may, I would like, to begin with, the easier issues as I suspect that they will need less discussion.

“Following your arrival here, and magnified one hundred-thousand-fold following your appearance on TV, there has been a great desire amongst hundreds of millions of our population to explore our implementation of alternative treatment within your galaxy. Following the discovery of the poisoning that occurred by the priests, and also affecting the Warriors of the Apocalypse, the interest has grown to become an obsession. We even have our own population under investigation to see if we are being poisoned.

“The opportunity to explore the people of the Empire, The Mob, and to improve their medical state and even technology has reached unprecedented levels. The fact that you showed a strong interest in entomology and in particular, had an exposure to beetles has endeared you to the population. The professor’s endorsement of you went a long way to contributing to the population’s view of your integrity. They have looked with envy at the work that he has done and many now have stars in their eyes. What we would like to do is to send many of our insects with you to do the work that you direct. They will evaluate the opportunities under your care and guidance.

“We remain in communication with Porquenta. He is in urgent need of scientists who can base themselves on both Porquenta and Mars and undertake projects that he has in mind. We understand that your intention is to return to the Empire to re-take your holdings and help your great grandfather if you can. Our medical people are champing at the bit to get involved with the reversal of the effects of the poisoning in the Empire. We would also be delighted to contribute to the efforts of the Warriors of the Apocalypse.

“We would also like to send biological teams to investigate the insect population on both Mob planets and within the Empire,” said Ouma Chatzke enthusiastically.

“I would certainly be delighted to have several of your insects become part of my team! I would also be delighted for you to participate in full, both on Porquenta and on Mars. Once the issues are resolved with my duchy, I’m sure that we can move in the directions that will be in both yours and the Empire’s best interests. Certainly, that is my hope, though I cannot commit to what is to happen within the Empire,” said Jason. “Please proceed with the other areas that you wish to discuss that are more complex.”

“We would also suggest you investigate opportunities in the so called Tentacles which will soon become “The Jumo Empire.” We see trouble brewing in our galaxy, as well, and I feel we can work together.

“There has been a major war brewing for close to a million years that involves some different parties that were involved, last time. There was a war a hundred thousand years ago that was vicious but more of a skirmish. The original war slaughtered many advanced species. The perpetrators of that war were beaten back by a combined force from both our and your galaxy. The Una were involved later, and having a much lower level of technology than some of the other parties, were scattered to the winds.

“Our forces had a great fear of disseminating our technology at the time, and we believe that was an instrumental factor in the profound destruction that followed. Your ancient people were part of the force that led the enemy to retreat but were too weakened by the conflict or simply no longer had the will to pay the cost to obtain a final victory. Your people subsequently ascended and we lost contact with them. We now believe you have been sent back.

“We return to your favorite insects, the cockroaches. They are the group who are largely behind most of the problems in this galaxy, and were the cause of the war in your galaxy a hundred thousand years ago. They are now again attempting to rise. As much as we have chosen not to ascend because of our interest in medical and other sciences, they have chosen not to ascend as they have an interest in war and eating. When they capture a planet they eat anything and everything they can. They are a very advanced species and will attack when they perceive the enemy is weak, and will seek other targets if the enemy is strong. There were two other species that we have not seen for a long time. The first are the ones you call the Ghouls. We are very disturbed they have reared their ugly heads. The second is a parasitic jelly that uses sentient slugs as their hosts. Both prefer to stay in the shadows and manipulate events from there. The slugs have a passionate interest in poisons.

“We think both are behind the scenes, here and now. The slugs as we called them, as we did not realize they were the hosts, produce really nasty poisons.

“We will invest a substantial effort to work with Porquenta and future allies to produce a new generation of weapons. We must disseminate our technology to the Empire and to the emerging Jumo Empire. Sophisticated industrial capacity is essential in war. We will do what we can to jump start our future relationships with both groups.

“We will try to get the Una involved with the efforts, as well. We hope to find a way to locate their people.

“Even though we have told you all about our interests in medicine, we have also maintained a significant effort to maintain our skills in war. Our level of technology has managed to exceed the cockroaches as we have a much larger intellectual and industrial base. Since that war, our population and resources have outstripped theirs by many orders of magnitude. Part of their difficulty is their xenophobia. They trust only their own kind, and have a long history of betraying their allies. Those entities ... or ancients as you now call them ... that you encountered, are partly identified, but not fully. We are not entirely sure that they are ancients who have descended to fulfill a purpose or some other group in disguise. We do not know yet whether any of them are allied with our fine scaled cockroaches, or whether they are part of another group. We have considerable concern about the Ghoul you encountered.” Ouma Chatzke drank from a bowl and munched on what looked like some old rotting parts of an insect.

“Yes, indeed, that is exactly what it is, Jason; delicious, fermented insect parts. Soon we will eat this together as praying mantises. But for now, in the interests of time, let us move on. Drink and eat what we have provided for you.

“Rather than immediately killing the ancient, Nimrod Khon, we should try and capture him and his partner, and interrogate them. We have the skills and the ability to undertake this and it may well be able to get an idea as to who Nimrod is and which group he represents. He seems to be one of the more powerful amongst the group, which means that he is a more senior part of the endeavor. Secondly, I understand from Porquenta that there is another ancient who has allied himself with those that have taken over the Duchy. That one we certainly would like to capture!

“There is also the matter of the Empire, the palace, and its infiltrators.

“These issues concerning war and the ancients are exactly the issues that have worried Porquenta, and now are the concern of Mars. It is for these reasons that Porquenta has commenced the research and manufacture of weapons that would be appropriate for this new war. It is a truism that the more prepared you become, the less likely will war occur. It has worked so far with the cockroaches, but I fear wider interests may be meddling.

“In discussion with my advisers, we believe that we could be allies and friends with the Empire and the Jumo. If your people on Earth are to be less vulnerable we need to help you develop. Our people are demanding that we do something. We do know of precedents where advanced cultures have helped to enhance less advanced cultures quite successfully. You yourself know, Jason, from your own experience, that it is not necessarily an impossible task. We have advanced learning, technology, and the delivery methods for that knowledge. We have manufacturing technology that can replicate itself to quickly increase the capacity and ability of your people. We have AIs and people who are champing at the bit to help.

“I would like to introduce you to two further proposed participants in this enterprise. Alpha and Beta are greatly advanced AIs and have been sentient for millions of years. They have been invited by Porquenta to assist both Porquenta and Mars. They would also like to provide you with an advanced AI called Gamma, to participate in your endeavors and be a key member of the very capable and senior team we will assemble for you.” Ouma Chatzke introduced the pair who looked almost exactly as she did. She said that the AIs had the capacity to change shapes and were almost indistinguishable from biological beings. Alpha and Beta were personal friends of hers and they had known each other for an eternity.

“Both Montgomery and Winston are of the belief that you will be retaining your fleet. We would like to establish facilities on both Porquenta and Mars for shipbuilding, so that we may update your fleet. We can do some of our own shipbuilding there as well. We will install some of the weapons that Porquenta creates as his people were great warriors and fine allies.

“We would also like to establish substantial manufacturing facilities to support the activities on both planets. You do need to understand Jason that we would be your guests and at any time you could send us back. I think that that is highly unlikely as we are such wonderful bugs, but it is something that you can do,” she said with a laugh.

“We do not ever want to become unwelcome guests. In the first instance, the team that would go along with you would become both advisers as well as teachers,” said Ouma Chatzke earnestly.

“They will take teaching technology along with them, to rapidly upgrade your intellectual skills, your mental capacity, and vastly expand your knowledge. They can do this rapidly and upgrade your education to bug level. When I say rapidly, I mean it will be rapid within your time. But, as you know, we can manipulate time so we can make an enormous difference within weeks.

“Now I would like to return to your current problem. We would like to help with the capture of Nimrod Khong. We also believe that not only can we locate the ancient one on the planet, we can help capture him. We are experts at tunneling, the likes of which none of you would have ever seen. We are also the equals, if not the betters, of many of the ancients, and will prepare for this effort if you wish. We can also safely capture many varieties of dangerous ancients.

“Lastly, we believe that there is a role for us to play in dramatically enhancing and improving your forces. We do believe that the clones will benefit from us investigating the state of their function, and improving it as well as the unborn children that lie within many of them. Montgomery leads us to believe you have been quite prolific and have spread your gene pool widely. We can help your women and future children be the best they can be. We believe that we can safely make enormous improvements.”

Jason blushed deeply.

“Jason, do not for one minute believe you are purely on the receiving end of all these gifts. As you have learned, money is not an issue for us. Our greatest reward is the intellectual challenge you have presented to us, and for us to increase our peace of mind. We recognize that we do need the ability to fight, in order to have peace. We have also learned that we need to be ruthless and intractable fighters, to survive in some areas of this cold galaxy and universe. We have been alert to the possibility of a further conflict that would extend beyond this galaxy. You have given us a new lease on life, by providing so many challenges and opportunities! I believe you have provided us with an early warning of an impending apocalypse. We can see clearly, as you do, that there is trouble fomenting in your galaxy.

“We know it’s in our best interests, and yours, that the problems in your galaxy are dealt with efficiently and expeditiously. We all can benefit from strong allies, and enjoy them as friends and even partners at other times.

“We enjoy teaching very much. We have laboriously built teaching systems that we are proud to share. We will enjoy your people using what we have, and can assist in providing our tools more widely. In giving, we fulfill our purpose. In the same way, we fulfill ourselves in carrying out difficult medical activities, with unique and different challenges.”

“Your galaxy presents us challenges that are different. We have to face how we can help the Una, the Empire, and the Jumo; as quickly as possible. It helps provide us a focus for our energy, something dramatically new, and with so many areas to cover. You will help us by allowing us to help your people and friends. Your people once helped us in a similar way. We were grateful and wanted to pay them back, but they said they had no need to be paid back and that we should give selflessly to some other species when the opportunity presented itself,” said Ouma Chatzke relaxing in her ‘boat’ chair.

Jason looked at Montgomery and Winston. They had both communicated with him telepathically that they fully agreed with what she said. Montgomery said that this discussion had occurred with them after they left the TV station, while Jason had remained. They’d had the opportunity to think about it, and from their point of view, it was a no-brainer!

“Ouma Chatzke, I would like to say how grateful I am for all that your people have done for me. Even though I am overwhelmed by so much change in three hectic months and feel so unprepared in this new world; you give me great hope for the future, and a sense of a resolute friendship.

“By your standards, I am incredibly young. I do not have all of your many years of experience and knowledge. One of the most difficult parts of all of it, has been the gradual understanding what I have within me, and it’s very much a part of me, an ancient being who has descended and is increasing in power. The hardest part has been the sense that I’m not in control of my destiny, and I am to face onslaught after onslaught without the expertise to face my enemies! I just do not have the time to recover and catch my breath. To know another ancient is an enormous relief, particularly one who knew my people.

“This has been an extraordinary journey. I am enormously grateful to both Montgomery and Winston for all that they have done to assist me, and provide stability as part of this journey. Their wisdom has been of enormous comfort. I also have a sense of peace and tranquility in your presence. I have come to trust and believe in the bugs, but I have learned to be careful. I was induced by the ancient on the planet to undertake actions that I believed were under my own free will, only to discover that I was being manipulated.

“On your planet, I have never had a sense of being manipulated, and that is despite my entire being having been turned inside out and becoming a praying mantis. I had never in all of my days imagined myself as an insect. Jokes aside, all the enhancements are greatly appreciated. I have very much enjoyed my time on your planet, and meeting all the insects that I have encountered. Little did I know that I had already known a beetle on Earth? One day I would love to come back here to visit properly and see what this planet has to offer: the cities, the surface, the natural wonders ... all the things that tourists do.

“I would be delighted to accept your offer in its entirety and would be happy to welcome your people to be my subjects, or my partners, or my friends. What you propose is enormously exciting, and I am now more optimistic in relation to these ancients.

“Clearly a different level of technology will make an enormous difference in any major war with an advanced enemy.

“I find it strange that cockroaches have become a blight throughout many galaxies but I suppose it is their instinct and their nature at work.

“I can see the benefits of such an arrangement with the Empire, but I cannot speak for them. The Empire itself, and how it may behave, is not something that I can predict, as I do not have any significant experience with the Empire. The limitation to our plan is the limitation as to how the Empire may behave. I am a partner with the Jumo and I know them better. I believe they will clearly see the advantages of an alliance with you. To the parts that I can agree, I do. I fully support you in everything that you have suggested. What you have done to date is already way beyond anything that I could imagine, and the future looks very exciting. I certainly understand the concept that if one develops a powerful defensive force an attack becomes very much less likely. I am all for preparing to defend one’s home and Empire.”

“I will look forward to welcoming your subjects to Porquenta and Mars. We are going to need to open those planets for migration and that would clearly be an offer that we would open to your subjects, as well; with your permission, of course. I believe that in diversity there is strength. I would also welcome your visits at any time. The hospitality and the attention to detail that your subjects have provided, has been little short of extraordinary. I have seen your people making appropriate food for us, providing dressers, creating chairs, and putting forth the effort to understand our physiology. I am incredibly impressed with how you created those amazing avatars of Montgomery and Winston. When I previously looked at The One, and his people on the ship, they just looked hazy and covered with some sort of a blurry cloak.

“I never realized how handsome a pair they really were. Now that I can see Montgomery in the flesh, as opposed to meeting him on some ghostly plane in the middle of nowhere, it makes a very big difference. He is no longer a God-like character, but more like a waiter at a top restaurant.” Jason said looking at Montgomery who was giving him a black look.

“My major fear in all of this, is that my brain will not have enough room for everything that I need to learn and will burst into flames with all the effort that will need to be applied,” Jason said holding onto his head, “but I suppose you could just quadruple my brain storage!”

“You do not have to worry, Jason, you have enough storage for at least five hundred thousand years; and, if you need to, we can quadruple your storage,” said Ouma Chatzke, laughing.

Jason couldn’t think of anything else that he wanted to say. He was delighted with the proposal and realized that he had a future war that he needed to consider, one much more threatening than his battle which was coming to a conclusion.

The Mob, he realized were small players that had been manipulated for the purposes of some of the ancients. Jason now appreciated the importance of having the Jumo as future allies as ‘Monty’ had earlier suggested.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.