The Mob - Book 2
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2017 by Hunter Johnson

Meeting the Warriors on the Way to Callisto

Jason stretched and made his way to the refresher, taking the dogs with him. They enjoyed the invigorating experience as much as he did. He found it a very easy way to clean both himself and the dogs, while enjoying patting, rubbing, and wrestling with them. They dashed into the refresher enthusiastically every time he entered it. They were the cleanest dogs he had ever encountered.

Jason was surprised at how much Rover enjoyed the rough play despite his sentience. The dogs emerged well-groomed and very pleased with themselves; and with Jason having transient thoughts of opening a pet grooming parlor on Earth, with a refresher. He laughed at the ridiculousness of it.

He returned to the conference room to find out what was happening.

Command Central

“Jason the situation is slowly stabilizing on Phobos, but they do not have enough troops on the ground, so for the time being I have decided to leave three million of our troops with General Celia Ford. I feel a bit guilty about Celia as I tend to use her as my assistant and she is so competent and my equal, but by an accident of fate you went to Mars before Porquenta and I became the senior general. I want to give her direct responsibility and an opportunity for command,” said Linda, “without her feeling I am looking over her shoulder.

“We bombarded their troop concentrations and the tide has turned dramatically. They are surrendering in droves. With three million additional troops, there is ample force to do the job. We have ordered five million of the ten million reserve Marine AIs from Fort Sentinel. They will be available to us for the ground war if needed on Callisto. The rest will be ready if we need them for any purpose.” Linda said.

“I had a long chat with Porquenta and he asked us to bring all the damaged ships to Porquenta for repair, even those in good condition. We are using skeleton crews to tow the damaged ones using the functional ones. Porquenta got us to crew them largely with AIs.

He thinks we may need more ships soon and he says in his experience it is best to use every tiny bit of time fruitfully in a war. He says there is ninety-five percent probability we will soon go to finish the job in The Mob core worlds.

“He said we can mix up the Marine AIs with our crews very effectively. He said we will call them Naval AIs and laughed as though he had made the greatest joke in the universe. He is one odd AI, nearly as odd as you can be, Jason; and you are not even an AI, though heavens only know what that mammoth crystal in you does.

“Morgan has sent ten million Combat AIs to Porquenta from another facility. He will send another twenty-million he found to Porquenta, to use in ship refits or do whatever he wants them to do in the short term, then to augment the crew. He said it is better for them to do something active rather than lie in a box.

“He and Porquenta are great friends. They talk daily about weapons systems and training, ad nauseam. They cackle and gossip like old men.

“Jason what is this picture?” Linda asked.

“It is a blue duck, why?”

“It was painted on the missile. Porquenta insisted. He said it was in your mind in a picture and you would enjoy it,” said Linda.

“Indeed I do, and I remember where I saw it when I was a child. It was below a bomber painted on a huge bomb hanging below the fuselage. The duck was laughing just like this one is. I need to tell him to stop rummaging through my brain. He is a nosy old fart.” They both laughed.

Andrea called from an adjacent table where she was talking to Peter Kane. “Jason, we have had a desperate communication from Callisto that arrived seconds ago. They know that The Mob reserve Fleet is heading their way.”

“We will move as soon as possible when the ground situation stabilizes. Our ground forces will follow us,” said Linda, “as I think we are going to need to move to Callisto quickly to assist with the situation there.

“The dogs are of great assistance in demoralizing The Mob on the ground and as you know they can follow us in an instant when called. Please tell the AIs that we may need to activate them all, when we hit Callisto.”

Andrea moved over to their table along with Peter. She leaned over the table and spoke softly so as not to be overheard. “Our illustrious Admiral Peter has completed his negotiations with the Empire about remuneration for the defense of Callisto,” said Andrea triumphantly, “and I am delighted to say the defenders are a lot more cooperative than our recent Admiral and General.”

Peter excused himself and left the room, smiling triumphantly.

“We have tapped into the sensor systems around Callisto, but will also send in the dogs ahead of us to provide further reconnaissance information. It is with a sense of some relief that we cannot see any boars, nor can we see any entities of any type on the surface. We have looked at the fleet and we have looked on the ground. I’m sure Jason that you will feel more relaxed about Callisto. If it proves to be true it will simplify both the space combat and the ground war.

“Here are the holograms of the remaining ships that are left on both sides. As you can see they have done considerable damage to each other, and there are wrecked ships everywhere.

“It is very interesting to see how the situation evolved. The Mob carried in six large attack platforms just as the reserve Empire fleet arrived. They are the biggest platforms that we have seen to date. The firepower of the platforms contributed to the severe damage of the Empire fleet despite the superior technology of the Empire. The Empire fleet in their manifest wisdom elected to fight the platforms from the front. Some people are too stupid to live.

“The Empire also did not bring along sufficient troops. There is very little doubt that there are malign influences within the fleet that are negatively manipulating their decision-making capacity. The Mob brought in very heavy tanks and gunships that also neutralized the technological advantage of the Empire. They also had many more troops than those on the planet and the reserves from the Empire combined.

“There was no significant defensive fleet at Callisto. They chose to rely on defensive platforms ringing the planet. These defensive platforms are severely damaged and are dysfunctional. They no longer have a defensive capability and have no way to be able to handle the reserve Fleet,” said Andrea gravely.

“What is the situation on the surface and what does the planet make?” asked Jason.

“Callisto specializes in sensor systems, high-end military armor, electronics for multiple weapon systems and they also manufacture gunships, tanks, artillery systems, missile systems, frigates, corvettes, and three levels of destroyers. The planet also produces small arms and explosives. They make about one-third of the missiles that are used for the fleet.

“Shuttles have been seen leaving the surface carrying containers. A very large pair of freighters has left Callisto and I have very little doubt they are heading for The Mob planets. The Mob are working to rapidly dismantle factories on the ground and have taken over many of the critical factories. They are disassembling plant and occasionally equipment to send off world. They have large cargo shuttles that do not require equipment disassembly and have the appropriate handling equipment to grab machines and replicators fast.

“Peter Kane and Morgan James will return shortly to tell you what they have done in a little more detail,” said Linda, “they are very pleased with themselves and it is a good opportunity for you to thank them for what they have done. They are making you a very rich young man independently of your great-grandfather and the Duchy.”

Jason greeted Peter Kane and Morgan James as they came in through the door and joined them at the laden buffet table to pick up a drink and some snacks. The table was full of delicious looking pastries and there was a large bowl of cream with a beautiful silver serving spoon. Jason chatted with them as he made them some coffee from the ornate Italian coffee machine that Robert, the chef, had acquired on earth. Jason enjoyed the ritual of grinding, then preparing the espresso from the machine and steaming the milk. The smell of the freshly ground coffee wafted through the room. Jason first took a tray for Andrea and Linda with their favorite pastries and coffee and then laden with plates and cups he moved to a separate table to talk to Peter and Morgan.

“Jason, I have not had such a stimulating time for a long time,” said Peter, “the Empire has been a dull place for the military for a thousand years. Even so I like working for an organization that is not stuffy and pretentious.”

“I am pleased to find you are not stuffy and pretentious,” Jason said, “as you guys are the organization, and are running it. I am only along for the ride. I could not do what you guys have done for us. I am ‘Lord Poobah the magnificent’, the face of the circus. I do appreciate all you have done. You guys are wasted in your old roles. Porquenta and Mars need you once this is over so prepare to be stolen from the Empire; and unless you are sure you don’t want it, you can both lead and develop planets!” Jason said smiling broadly.

“We will talk further about that, Jason. We will need to talk in much more detail. I will also have to talk to my wife and children,” said Morgan smiling.

“Morgan and I were contacted by Fleet command who have asked us formally to intervene in Callisto. The negotiation has concluded on very favorable terms for you. Our aim initially was to make you the richest Duke in the Empire, and that occurred two days ago and our current aim is to make you the richest person in the Empire, even richer than the Empress, excluding the two planets! Command has also broached the idea that we might fly to The Mob core planets and capture the freighters. That will be worth our while, particularly if they accept Morgan’s proposals.”

“We are both heading for hangar one where the last of our people are boarding. They are also offloading the Marine AIs and I would suggest that you come with us to activate them,” Morgan suggested, to Jason as Peter stood up to walk with him.

Jason was happy to accompany them as he had never observed the shuttles and troops returning and realized he would be interested in how the volume of activity was handled.

As they walked to the hangar Morgan spoke.

“We can recover our troops and equipment within six hours at the most. The AIs coordinate all the activity as no human could possibly do it as efficiently. I usually wait in the hangar for the returning troops after an engagement. It gives me a good idea about the extent of damage to the equipment and even more importantly, the morale of the troops. I have always found it a very exciting experience.”

The hangar was a hive of activity as Jason saw shuttles land, release containers and then automated arms reached out to pick up the containers. The shuttles then moved to a shelf in the hangar where they disgorged troops onto automated walkways and equipment moved on a conveyor belt. The shuttle then moved back to the surface of the planet for the next load. The shuttles carried forty containers of troops and equipment with either twenty or forty troops per pod with four pods per container. Each pod was a self-contained environment.

On the surface of the planet soldiers entered the pods which were independently automated and joined together to form the crates. Crates then joined together and linked with each other while waiting for the shuttles.

Jason could see that the returning troops looked very dirty, but were happy and excited as they entered the cleaning and decontamination areas before moving into the ship.

Drones cleaned and sterilized the hanger continuously. On their final return, shuttles passed through a decontamination process inside and out.

“As each shuttle gets within a kilometer of the ship the AI takes control. The AI controls the removal of the containers, their disassembly and the movement of the pods through cleaning and decontamination. All equipment cleaning, decontamination and subsequent maintenance is undertaken by the AI.

“This is the last pickup for the entire fleet. We are now ready to go. You will see the big irises closing and the inner force field being shut down in a few minutes. Shortly we will be joined by a couple of the Marine AIs who will escort us to the crates to commence the activation of the remainder of the AIs.

“All you will need to do is to instruct the Marine AIs to activate the remainder of the group. They have a procedure that they then go through,” said Morgan James.

Talking to The One

As Jason sat at the table with everyone working around him he found that his mind drifted away and found himself somewhere in space talking to The One.

“I have been talking to Porquenta, and we have both been observing what has been happening with you. We think that you will benefit from some further training on Porquenta. I will fetch you shortly if it is convenient for you, and return you to the ship in time for you to participate in the battle for Callisto. Perhaps you can tell your colleagues that you will be leaving shortly and will return at the appropriate time,” said The One.

Jason joined Linda and Andrea. “‘The One’ is going to fetch me shortly and take me for some further training on Porquenta. The training will be in condensed time, so I will be back before we commence our battle at Callisto.”

Before Linda could ask any questions Jason simply disappeared.

She turned to Andrea. “I hate it when he says ‘see you,’ and just disappears. That does not mean I will give him up to you guys. After Jason, I just don’t think any regular guy would do it for me.”

“Where would we find someone who has a Warhammer like his and can go on rampages and then come home nice as pie,” said Andrea as they both giggled uncontrollably.

Jason saw himself float out of the ship, watching as he flew through bulkheads, through the armor and outside he saw a huge red cube. It dwarfed the battleship in size by a factor of perhaps a hundred. It appeared to be slowly tumbling as if it were rolling on a carpet. After he had looked at it for a few scant moments he very rapidly found himself accelerating towards it and suddenly he was in it. The One was wearing a beautiful flowing gown. His facial features were beautiful with a black well shaped Don Quixote style beard. Many similar garbed figures moved around the space dressed in flowing robes with hoods, and only a vague suggestion of a face behind, and slowly moving their ethereal white hands. It was as though they were floating in space. There was the faintest perception of walls, yet the battleship and the fleet were readily seen. Jason knew that the Empire ships could not transfer people in trans-dimensional space. The One had done it, and with such ease. So could he do it, he realized, so could he.

He looked back at the battleship and it was gone.

An instant later Porquenta was ahead as Jason recognized the huge green continents and the blue green sea filled with multiple islands. He loved the feel of Porquenta, the smell of the air, the calm wind, the scent of flowers and the balmy atmosphere. He felt relaxed and calm when he was there. His soul felt at ease on the planet, and he felt much at home there. He had a lingering sense that somehow he had known Porquenta, before. That there had been many like Porquenta at one time. That there were not so many now, made him feel the sadness of loss.

Jason found he was in a room with The One and Porquenta. Cups of herbal tea appeared on the table in front of them, the fragrant smell drawing them to sit in the large comfortable sofa chairs covered with a luxurious white leather with low tables in front of them. The walls of the room were filled with beautiful tapestries showing humanoid people with Elven ears of apparent Royal background wearing crowns and carrying scepters. The door was an intricately carved ancient wooden door. There were tall windows looking out onto a meadow.

Jason saw a cozy white thick woolly rug covering the floor which almost begged him to take off his shoes and walk on it. Scrumptious looking, steaming pastries appeared on the table in large silver receptacles. They looked as though they had come from the wild imagination of an artistically talented chef, with berries of many colors and with intricately carved pastry.

He wondered if his favorite apple could by any chance be there. He was sure that he didn’t see one but then there was one on the plate that was closest to him. He looked up surprised at Porquenta who was smiling at him indulgently. He thanked Porquenta telepathically after tasting the scrumptious pastry.

“Porquenta, I would love to bring Robert my chef to meet you. He would be very interested in the beautiful pastries.” He drank his tea and overindulged in pastries while he heard the two old men gossiping like a pair of fish wives. He found it quite extraordinary the two such beings would chat about such trivial matters. He thought that in all likelihood they were trying to make him comfortable, but after they both laughed, they told him they were practicing what they had probably known millions of years ago.

“Jason, I have learned to gossip recently, after listening to the priests talking with each other after their days work. It is a relief to talk about trivial matters after eons of loneliness and with only my own thoughts on matters of great import for the universe and worries about the future. It is a pleasure to be busy and alive with a sense of purpose; to be involved with the world and with people, to deal with matters of significance and to enjoy the trivia of everyday existence,” said Porquenta with a laugh. “Now I am teaching The One what he has forgotten, and he is also enjoying himself.”

“Our people have forgotten the pleasure of chatting about small things and talking about the realities of day-to-day existence and the nature of relationships. Porquenta and I have been practicing to lighten up our lives. There is plenty of time to be involved in important matters, and also to enjoy day-to-day life. We had forgotten that,” said The One. “My people have become introspective and self preoccupied and filled with the guilt of the loss of so many of our people.”

“Jason, my boy, we had better not waste too much of your valuable time, as you have a battle to fight on Callisto. It will be valuable for you to acquire some new skills which will take some years of training. There is the potential for future threats, and we want to equip you further. You need much more than what we can give you today, but we do not have the time even if we condensed it.

“After the training, I want to introduce you to your equivalent of the orcs. They are a very touchy and difficult people. They love to fight, but they are stubborn and difficult, and at times they need their ears boxed!

“They only respect skill and confidence. They will test you as did the dogs, to help them make the decision as to whether they will have anything to do with you. They recognize leaders and leadership and will not follow a weakling. I want to equip you as well as I can, to meet them. We do not detect any ‘entities’ as you call them on Callisto, so I suspect you may not need them. But, when you move on to The Mob worlds, it will be different!

“If they respect you, they will follow you throughout the galaxy and beyond. They are known as the Golden Warriors of the Apocalypse.

“They have survived more than one apocalypse and have the cynicism of those who have seen and done everything. They have fought, shared comradeship through thick and thin, been betrayed, lost companions; and have seen more misery and suffering than anyone should ever have to tolerate. They have also enjoyed the joy of victory and the pleasure of the companionship of warriors who understand war.

“They dress and look like the Vikings or sometimes like the Romans as you know them. They are however the true warriors of legend. They have fought hordes of the enemy in apparently un-winnable situations, and have prevailed.

“They have great integrity and great perseverance and courage. They do not retreat unless it is a strategic retreat. They do not back down, and will not betray you. They do what is asked of them, and will do anything for a leader that they respect, but you have to earn their respect. Use this knowledge to motivate yourself. You only have one chance!” said Porquenta emphatically.

“Jason I do have great faith in you and in your potential. You are a very young man in a galaxy where there are many races which are tired and jaded from their past life and experiences. I would not be surprised if you help rejuvenate the Warriors in your own unique way.

“But come, time’s awasting, and I need to return you to your illustrious teacher, who has much to teach you, yet such a limited time to do so. It is a pity that there are so many pressing matters that have to be attended to, but that is always the sad reality of the situation,” said Porquenta urgently as he moved Jason out of the room to the bottom of the hill.

Jason found himself walking up a steep but now familiar path and then climbing stairs towards the hut of his teacher. He recalled nothing else.

The Stadium of the Warriors of the Apocalypse

Jason found himself in a massive stadium with crowds in the stands that were fifty yards away. The stadium looked like it could hold at least a hundred thousand people. He saw he was dressed in leather clothing with his arms bare. He wore sandals and on his head he felt a light leather helmet. He carried a bow on his back and carried his Ghoul acquired sword.

He looked carefully at the people. Even seated he could see they were tall and fine sophisticated looking men and women, many with flaxen hair. Porquenta was right they did look like Vikings. Most wore tunics of pastel colored cloth. They looked at him intently without apparently talking to each other. Beyond the stadium he could see the light was dimmer. The sun was redder than he was used to and looked small. He detected a shimmer in the air in all directions at a distance.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.