The Return of Thomas Grey - Cover

The Return of Thomas Grey

Copyright© 2017 by Argon

Chapter 39: Monies

Historical Story: Chapter 39: Monies - When 16 year-old Midshipman Thomas Grey goes to sea in the 18-gun sloop Wolverine in February 1806, he cannot know how much his life and family will change until he can finally return to his Surrey home. A story in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Historical   Military   War   Interracial  

(August 1814)

The dinner in the Clyde‘s cabin had been quite a success, not the least due to the fact that Captain Fortescue had excused his wife who was apparently suffering badly from the migraine. Nobody believed this, but then nobody was sorry, least of all Captain Fortescue who turned out to be a charming and sociable man. The talk at the table ranged from past deeds on board the Clyde to the situation in the small German dominion of which Sir August was the sovereign ruler again. Thomas and Mirabel mostly listened since neither could contribute much, but then Sir Anthony included Thomas by asking him about the capture of the Belle Armande. The story of the capture and of the treasure found in her holds had spread throughout the Navy and grown larger with each telling. The true numbers as Thomas told them were much less, but still enough to make four captains at the table whistle with admiration.

Lady Carter entertained Mirabel with her recollections of a year-long stay on Barbados, the home of Mirabel’s mother. Mirabel allowed that her mother had often talked about Bridgetown where she’d grown up, and how she missed the sun and the warm climate after moving to London with John Goodwin. Lady Carter gave her a smile and confessed that she, too, missed the Caribbean where she’d spent quite some time, first in Kingston, Jamaica, with her parents, then in Bridgetown, and lastly when chaperoning the Princess Isabel on her journey to Cartagena.

Here, the Lady Isabel chimed in and related her view of that journey. She was to marry the would-be new governor of Cartagena once arrived there. However, during the journey, she rebelled, renounced the Catholic faith, and took lessons with the Church of England chaplain, all of which effectively severed her engagement, cost her her princess title, and made her “Miss Isabel” for a week. That she and the young captain of the Clyde fell in love and married on the very quarterdeck of Clyde completed her transition from Royal Highness to Serene Highness. It was quite a story, and Sir Anthony mock-complained that he and Sir August paid the price for that, being banished to the Catalonian coast for more than a year for allowing the princess to be led astray. Sir August laughingly agreed, but he pointed out that this posting had been quite rewarding too.

When the dinner party finally broke up, it was close to the end of the second Dog Watch – eight p.m. in civilian terms – leaving enough light for the return upriver in the ship’s boats. At this point, Sir Richard Lambert insisted on inviting the dinner party to his house on Cavendish Square for an offering of well aged wines and cheeses. It was close to midnight before the Bennings and the Greys returned to their home and their beds.

Breakfast was served late on the next morning, but a beaming Angela presided over the table. With all the status she had enjoyed in her life, she had never dined with royalty before, and she was dying to discuss the Prince and the Princess Consort. Elias had also enjoyed the evening and the stories told, but he was more blasé about the company. He had spent many a dinner at Lord Exmouth’s table, and many of the captains in the Mediterranean Fleet had been of the high nobility. Even so, he was happy for Angela and grateful to Thomas for the invitation.

Later that day, a messenger from Captain Whitney came to ask for Thomas’s permission to have the assessment of the Jenny Girl performed on the next forenoon, at four bells. Apparently, Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Wright, underwriters at Lloyd’s, would view the ship and determine its fair value. Having no plans for the next morning, Thomas agreed to the plan.

Mirabel had plans that afternoon to visit Lady Carter for tea, together with Florence and Melinda Curry, leaving Thomas at leisure. He and Elias opted for visiting the St. Croix, to read the latest newspapers and to enjoy a very fine brandy from the House Martell of Cognac, France. Thus fortified, they sampled sirloin steaks prepared after the fashion developed for the Vicomte de Chateaubriand, a fine treat as they both agreed. More and more, Thomas began to enjoy his idle stay in London, and he resolved to find a competent chef for his home near Guildford. With Bartleby leaving his employ, he could not rely on his parents’ old cook to sate his newly found desire for fine cooking.

When the Marquis stopped by their table on his usual rounds through the dinner hall, Thomas voiced his appreciation of the food and asked his host where a competent chef willing to work in the country side might be found. St. Croix promised to ask his chef for a recommendation.

The two friends returned to Stanhope Gate after another glass of Martell brandy where they found their ladies in animated discussion. Apparently, they had enjoyed their tea at the Carters’, but what had set off the lively talk was another guest whom they had met. The lady in question was London’s premier actress, Miss Anita Heyworth. Even Thomas, who had spent his life away from London so far, had heard of her, and he could understand the excitement. According to Mirabel, the actress was fabulous in person, beautiful but modest, witty but tasteful, and immensely talented. To top this off, they had also met another of Lady Carter’s circle, a Mrs. Elizabeth Anson, the wife of Captain Jeremiah Anson, R.N., and a well known writer of comedic theatre plays. It became clear to Thomas that the women had had a delightful afternoon.

Thomas briefly recounted his and Elias’s afternoon and he extolled the excellent cuisine of the St. Croix. When he mentioned his idea to find a competent chef for their Surrey home, Mirabel nodded eagerly.

“That would be nice. We are eating so well here, and Cook is very much set in her ways. She’s also getting old and her legs are troubling her. We should let her live out her years in peace.”

“That is understood. She’s been with our household from the times of my grandfather after all. Still, I could stand a more refined cooking. We can ask around in the next weeks.”

They had a light supper that evening. Thomas and Mirabel then took a stroll outside, enjoying a mild evening and being by themselves. They turned in early, making use of the chance to connect again, after spending several evenings away from the house and in company.

Thomas was therefore well rested and satisfied when he met Captain Whitney and the two underwriters from Lloyd’s at a small landing close to where Jenny Girl lay anchored. Seeing his employer on the shore, Mr. Rourke sent the quarter boat with two men at the oars to pick them up, and a few minutes later, Captain Whitney and the underwriters were busy examining the ship. Rourke had done an admirable job getting the ship ready for inspection in such a short time span. He had even arranged for the hull to be accessible down in the hold, and indeed, Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Wright went down there on their inspection tour. Captain Whitney and Thomas accompanied them on their tour, and Rourke followed closely. The two experts spent close to an hour rummaging through the decks and below, but also inspecting the standing rigging. Only on the condition of the ship’s bottom, they had to accept Thomas’s word that it was copper sheeted with so far little growth attached.

After conversing in low voices, Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Wright then presented their assessment. In their view, the ship was valued at £2,650, considering its condition, its build and the current market for merchantmen. Thomas could see that Captain Whitney merely nodded as if having arrived at a similar estimate. Thomas himself had to suppress a satisfied smile, having earned £873 for himself and £437 for Hastings by bringing the Jenny Girl to London. There had been some outlays for the crew and the provisions, but those were negligible.

Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Wright then returned to the shore whilst Thomas and Captain Whitney sat in the cabin and talked business. Thomas explained that he would take it upon himself to pay out Hastings and offered the ship as a capital investment into the Whitney shipping line. Whitney looked quite relieved about this turn, and he quickly agreed. Thomas also put in a good word for Rourke to be hired as first mate once a skipper was found for the ship, and Whitney, after asking a few questions about Rourke, was willing to give him a try.

The two men made an appointment for the afternoon to see a solicitor. Documents had to be prepared for the transfer of the Jenny Girl‘s ownership and affirming Thomas’s partnership in the shipping company. After shaking hands over the agreement, Captain Whitney formally asked James Rourke to assume duties as first mate of the Jenny Girl and to find a crew for her whilst Whitney was searching for a capable master. Rourke cast a look full of gratitude at Thomas who simply smiled back.

He and Mr. Whitney were then rowed back to the shore where they parted ways, again with a firm shake of hands. They both found cabs to hire, and Thomas directed his driver to a London bank house that had a correspondence with the bank house of Crombie&Fitzhugh in Guildford. There, he obtained a bank draft over £833 8s, Hastings’s share of the sale. Next he directed the cab driver to Chelsea and the house of Hastings’s uncle. It was fortunate that Hastings was present and able to receive him. Of course, Thomas had to accept a glass of fine brandy first before he could relate the particulars of the sale. Hastings accepted the bank draft with a wide smile and even clapped Thomas’s shoulder.

“Not bad, my dear Grey, not bad! But you had all the effort and trouble to bear. Are you certain that this is not too much?”

“Sir Harold, it is your share. I would not accept any reimbursement for my actions.”

Hastings snipped his fingers. “At the very least, let me invite you and the lovely Lady Grey to a dinner! The Bennings, too, of course. I’ll be happy to see him again and to meet his wife. How about tomorrow evening, at Blades? I’ve a membership there, and I can bring guests to the dining room. The food is excellent I assure you.”

Thomas smiled and nodded. “I am only discovering the amenities associated with club memberships, Sir Harold, and at least for myself and my wife, I accept. I will also convey your invitation to Captain Benning and his wife.”

“Splendid! I’ll reserve a table for tomorrow. Say, two bells ... Hell! We’re civilians now! Seven o’clock it is!”

“With pleasure, Sir Harold. I trust that Lady Hastings is fine?”

“Oh, yes! She’s still a bit overwhelmed with the size of the City, and with all the shops and coffee houses, but her English is coming along splendidly. Her sister is also thawing a bit. I’ll bring her along too. It’ll be colossal to have all of you together! Wait! I know that Melrose is also in London. I’ll invite him too. That’ll be half the flotilla already!”

Hastings’s enthusiasm was typical for the man, but it showed stronger now. Obviously, he enjoyed his married life. Thomas bade him farewell then and made his way back to Stanhope Gate, bringing his day to a close.

At supper, Thomas conveyed Hastings’s invitation to the Bennings who of course agreed. Thomas explained about the deal he had struck with Whitney and Elias shook his head.

“Oh, dear! Things have changed. I feels like yesterday when a young whippersnapper reported for duty in the Wolverine, and now look at him! A ship owner!”

The smile accompanying his words took out any sting and Thomas smiled back.

“I believe this is true for us both.”

“True that! Not least because of the fine ladies we may now call our wives,” Benning agreed and raised his glass. “To our ladies!”

Thomas returned the toast, only to realise that he had recounted the sale of the ship that had been owned by Melinda’s family. He apologised immediately.

“My dear Miss Curry, I must apologise for my thoughtless behaviour. I can imagine that recounting the disposition of your father’s ship is hurtful to you.”

To his surprise, Melinda have him a blissful smile, accompanied by a shake of her pretty head.

“Melinda was visiting the Leeds today. There is not much that can hurt her today,” Mirabel commented, causing a slight blush and an even wider smile on the girl’s face.

“I take it that you find acceptance with Mrs. Leeds?” Thomas inquired.

Melinda nodded happily. “She is ever so kind to me, and Daisy ... I mean, Miss Leeds, treats me like a sister already. I am so happy! Mr. Leeds said that he will ask his friends in the Ministry to have Father released. That would be so wonderful!”

The girl was a force to be reckoned with, Thomas thought. She could get virtually everything just by dazzling people with her smile, yet she appeared completely guileless.

“That would be very kind of Mr. Leeds indeed,” he agreed neutrally.

“It would, wouldn’t it! I am very grateful to you all, for being so accepting to me!”

“Well, my dear girl, you brighten our days with your presence,” Angela smiled benevolently. “Having you live here with us is our privilege.”


The next day at least held no duties for Thomas. He spent it with Mirabel mostly, taking her out for a dinner and then for a stroll in St. James Park. Since the weather was sunny and warm, numerous people were also populating the park, and quite a few of them were naval officers, most of them senior to Thomas. He spent a lot of time holding his cocked hat before his chest to give his respects to senior captains and even two admirals. This also meant introductions, but with Mirabel looking quite fetching in her new wardrobe, Thomas was not quite sure if any of the senior captains would remember his face.

Continuing their stroll through Green Park, Thomas finally saw a person whom he knew well, his old friend Alexander Melrose. Melrose was also accompanied by a lady, a pretty redhead, whom he introduced as his wife Gwendolyn. Of course, Melrose had met Mirabel on The Rock, and he introduced her to his wife who smiled pleasantly.

“I have heard a lot about you, Sir Thomas, and about you, Lady Grey. Alexander always kept me abreast of his undertakings, and you featured quite a lot in his letters.”

“I can only hope then that he kept my faults to himself,” Thomas answered with a smile.

“Captain Melrose was always a pleasure to meet, but he was bad for my self-esteem, always speaking about you and never noticing the charms of other ladies,” Mirabel added with a smile of her own. She must have said the right thing, for Gwendolyn Melrose gave her husband a smouldering look.

Melrose laughed easily. “Knowing the gossip on The Rock, I thought it better not to fawn over you, Lady Grey, to protect both our reputes and my own health. Your husband does not strike me as being indulgent in such matters, to say nothing about my dear wife. By the way, Thomas, did Hastings invite you too?”

“Yes. I visited him yesterday to hand over the proceeds from the sale of our last prize. Captain Benning will also attend.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.