The Return of Thomas Grey - Cover

The Return of Thomas Grey

Copyright© 2017 by Argon

Chapter 28: Reunited

Historical Story: Chapter 28: Reunited - When 16 year-old Midshipman Thomas Grey goes to sea in the 18-gun sloop Wolverine in February 1806, he cannot know how much his life and family will change until he can finally return to his Surrey home. A story in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Historical   Military   War   Interracial  

September 1813

It took another four days before Unicorn and her consorts sailed for Gibraltar. The superintendent of the armoury agreed to return her previous ordnance of six-pounder long guns and 32-pounder carronades, six apiece. The carronades on the quarter deck had made her too top-heavy for Thomas’s taste. There was also a dinner at the Civil Commissioner’s residence to which the Navy officers were invited. The three frigate captains had to recount the action against the Berber flotilla whilst the officers from the Queen Charlotte told them of the severe thunderstorm off Toulon that had damaged the huge three-decker so badly that she needed harbour time.

On September 4th, the three frigates finally weighed anchor, escorting three merchantmen and one transport that were bound for England. It was a slow journey against foul winds, hampered by the less-than-seaworthy transport which more than once was caught in stays when tacking, taxing Thomas’s patience badly. He was standing on the quarter deck at one time when the Isobel transport made another hash of an intended manoeuvre and had to wear rather than tack.

“Who in three devils’ name is in command over there?” he exclaimed in frustration, but also within hearing of the officer of the watch, Lt. Hearn.

“Sir, don’t you know?” Hearn asked cautiously.

“No, I don’t,” Thomas returned, still steaming. “What?”

“It’s Mr. Pons, Sir Thomas,” Hearn answered. “I heard it from the Queen Charlotte’s third lieutenant. Captain Benning requested his transfer away from Northumberland, and he was given command of that transport.”

“Good Lord! Did he not learn a little bit of seamanship in all those years?”

Hearn shrugged, apparently not willing to criticise his former wardroom mate further, and Thomas realised that his question had been unfair.

“Keep an eye on Isobel, Mr. Hearn!”

Fortunately for them, the wind veered to north-northwest during the next hours, and the small convoy was able to maintain a direct course for Gibraltar, something that even Isobel managed. Still, it took them almost nine days before Unicorn and Dido cast anchor off Gibraltar. Captain MacAuliffe in Thisbe continued with the convoy to Portsmouth, and Thomas was just as happy to have seen the last of William Pons’s seamanship.

He had expected it, but it still filled him with deep joy to see Mirabel waiting for him as his gig approached the quay. She was flanked by Florence and Angela Benning, both smiling happily at him. Mirabel was not smiling – she was beaming. Both Florence and Angela stepped back a little, giving them a modicum of privacy.

“Mirabel,” Thomas said haltingly.

“Thomas, my love! You’re back at last!”

“Yes, my darling Mirabel,” Thomas said, stepping close and holding her by her upper arms. “Are you still willing to marry me?”

She nodded vigorously. “Yes. And you?”

“More than ever. Let us have the banns read, for I have at least ten days in harbour. I also have James Muir to act as my best man.”

“Do you mean that? Thomas, do you?”

Thomas nodded soberly. “Mirabel, my darling, I have almost everything of which I ever dreamt: I’m a post captain and respected by my fellow captains, I have become wealthy, I have found that I can face down an enemy. The only achievement I am still missing is to find happiness with you.”

Mirabel took his face in both of her hands and locked her eyes into his. “Let us have our wedding then. I cannot wait to be called Mrs. Grey.”

“You’ll be Lady Grey, my dear,” Thomas corrected her with a certain smugness. “The Royal College of Arms affirmed my knighthood. I am styled Sir Thomas Grey, OSML now. Think of it: that old fool Caplan will have to address you as ‘your ladyship’. He’ll suffer a stroke for sure!”

A smile began to tug at the corners of her mouth and Mirabel’s eyes began to sparkle with mirth.

“I believe you have convinced me, Thomas. Oh, you should really greet Angela and Florence!”

“Oh, dear, by all means yes!” Thomas exclaimed, blushing deeply. His attempt to kiss Angela’s hand was doomed for failure however. Angela simply closed her arms around him.

“Welcome to The Rock, my dear Thomas! Please tell me that you’ll accept my hospitality!”

“Of course I shall! I have only the best memories of your house.”

“I bet you do!” Florence smiled, replacing Angela’s arms with her own as she hugged him violently. “But I also owe so much to you.”

“Are you well, Florence, or should I say Mrs. Fielding?”

She smiled. “I have never been better. And no, Colonel Fielding did not propose marriage. Not that I feel sorry.”

“Any news from your mother?”

“She is fine. Apparently her admiral is willing to marry her. He’s not rich, but she will be quite respectable as Mrs. McCauley.”

“You must have met many gentlemen at those soirees here,” Thomas started, but Florence smiled and shook her head.

“I did, but none of them showed an honourable interest. Interest yes, just not honourable. Fortunately, I was warned of the Colonel by one of the ladies before things went too far. It would seem that he has a reputation for pressing courtships with young ladies seeking marriage and then reconsidering, of course after reaching his true purpose. As the future Lady Grey’s companion I cannot compromise my reputation, can I?”

Thomas had to laugh. Florence was quite a girl.

“Yes, of course. One can never be too cautious in these matters. In particular, once you are Admiral McCauley’s stepdaughter. My dears, I must really report to the port admiral and the dockyard.”

Mirabel nodded. “But of course. Will you mind if I walk there with you?”

“Of course not. It will be a pleasure and quite a boost for my reputation.”

“Oh, you flatterer! Angela, Florence, I shall see you later. I believe Thomas and I will also have business at the garrison church.”

Angela Benning hugged them both. “Take your time, my dears. Florence and I shall enjoy a stroll.”

Thomas offered his arm to Mirabel, and the two directed their steps to the port admiral’s office not far away. Admiral Clements was in presence and received Thomas immediately. Seeing Mirabel at Thomas’s arm, he gave her a bow and an admiring glance before addressing them.

“Your servant, Miss Goodwin, Captain! I saw your frigate approaching, Captain. I trust all is well?”

“We had a hostile encounter with the corsairs and sustained some hull damage. Sir Edward wants us to effect the necessary repairs before we return to his fleet. We also need provisons. We have provisioned with what we found on the islands, but we are running short of the main staples.”

Clements stroked his chin. “At the moment, we are rather short of supplies. We are waiting for the convoy from Plymouth, Captain. I am afraid you will have to wait for its arrival before your needs can be fully met.”

Thomas could not help but give Mirabel a smile hearing this.

“I suppose there’s nothing we can do about that, Sir. Then again, this will give us the time to complete the repairs.”

“With the charming Miss Goodwin for company, I trust that you will console yourself, Captain,” Clements chuckled.

“Indeed, Sir. It will present us with a much-awaited opportunity.”

Clements’s eyebrows rose. “Ah! That will cause heartbreak amongst Miss Goodwin’s admirers and explains her indifference to their attention. You are to be envied, Captain.”

“I believe I am, Sir. Whom do I have to consult at the dockyard?”

“Mr. Sherman is the acting superintendent. I shall send orders to him to visit Unicorn tomorrow at the earliest to inspect the damages. Will you need the dry dock?”

“I should think not, Sir. There is no damage under the water line of which we are aware, and we careened her not eight months ago to clean her bottom.”

“That will make things easier, Captain. Is there anything else with which I can assist you?”

“No, Sir. I believe this concludes my business. Thank you for your time!”

“Not at all! I believe I can give my wife a very important piece of gossip now,” Clements chuckled. “Let me know if any problems arise.”

They bid their farewell then and stepped outside.

“Well, that was easy and quick,” Thomas grinned. “I believe we should find the chaplain of King’s Chapel now.”

Mirabel nodded to this and fairly pulled him along in the direction of The Convent.

Mr. Abercrombie, the garrison chaplain, was indeed available and received them in the registry. He nodded when Thomas explained about their purpose, and he nodded again when Mirabel voiced her concurrence. He then explained the hurdles for such a marriage. According to the Act of 1753, a marriage was only legal if the banns of marriage had been read on three consecutive Sundays in the home parishes of bride and groom. Since this was an impossibility in the Colony where no regular parish existed, the Governor, representing the Crown, had the power to grant exemptions, much like the bishops of the Church of England at home. Mr. Abercrombie advised them therefore to petition General Campbell, the Lieutenant Governor, for the exemption.

Mr. Abercrombie himself accompanied them next door and to the Lt. Governor’s ADC, a Major Goodworth. Of course, Major Goodworth agreed to be of help to Captain Sir Thomas Grey and his fiancée. A secretary was summoned who prepared a standardised petition in which Thomas and Mirabel confirmed that neither had entered a prior marriage or engagement and that they were not related by blood. Mirabel had never been adopted by the Greys, avoiding another hurdle. Major Goodworth assured them that General Campbell would see the petition on the next morning.

Thomas also inquired about the use of the Convent Garden for the reception after the wedding, but Major Goodworth could not make a commitment before a wedding date had been set. Thomas gave his thanks to the major and the chaplain, and the couple left The Convent feeling relief after the initial worries. Neither of them had thought about the formalities of a wedding, but they were hopeful that the Lieutenant Governor would grant them a waiver.

Thomas returned Mirabel to the Bennings’ house then, for he had duties on board his ship. Of course, Angela Benning insisted that he had dinner at her house. She also made him promise to issue invitations to James Muir and to Mr. Darby.

Indeed, Thomas found James Muir down at the quay where he was waiting for his gig. James accepted the invitation without hesitation and promised to be ready at two bells on the Second Dog Watch. In the meantime, both their gigs arrived at the quay and Thomas returned to his ship.

Mr. Darby received him at the port.

“Good evening, Sir Thomas. The dockyard sent a note that the superintendent will inspect the ship tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Mr. Darby. That is bound to cut short our first evening here. Nevertheless, you are invited to dinner at Captain Benning’s house. You know Mrs. Benning?”

“Afraid not, Sir Thomas, but I heard of her from the other wardroom members. It will be my honour.”

“Splendid! We shall leave at two bells.”

“Aye-aye, Sir Thomas. Mr. Hearn will be in command then.”

“He’ll handle it I’m sure. Is there anything else commanding my attention?”

“No, Sir Thomas. I had the starb’d 18-pounders Nºs 4 to 7 stowed away in the hold to give room for the repairs on the gun deck. I’m afraid some of the planking around the damaged gun ports will have to go as well. The knee between them was grazed by the shot, but can be patched I’m sure.”

“I think so too, but let us wait what Mr. Sherman, the superintendent, will have to say. We can also start to grant shore leave to the men. Not more than one fifth of the hands at a time. Well, I had better change, Mr. Darby. Until later!”

In his cabin, Thomas shaved and washed off sweat and grime with fresh water, a rare luxury, and changed into a clean shirt and breeches. He decided that his everyday uniform would do for a dinner with friends and family, but he nevertheless pinned the Cross of Saints Maurice and Lazarus to his chest for Mirabel’s benefit.

When he stepped back on the deck, Darby was there waiting for him and having gone through some effort with his appearance. They took the gig to the quay where they met James Muir. Together they walked the short distance to the Bennings’ house. The weather was mild but not hot, and they cherished the chance to exercise their legs.

James already knew the women, but Darby made big eyes meeting the lady of the house. Angela was an attractive woman, and the 1st lieutenant was quite flustered in her presence. This became even more obvious when first Mirabel and then Florence welcomed them. Both young women had changed into quite fetching dresses that complimented their looks and their slender forms. Both had acquired unladylike tanned complexions which nevertheless appealed to a sailor’s eye. Inevitably, Darby ended up as Florence’s table partner, blushing deeply whenever he had to address her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.