The Return of Thomas Grey
Chapter 7: Local hero

Copyright© 2017 by Argon

Historical Story: Chapter 7: Local hero - When 16 year-old Midshipman Thomas Grey goes to sea in the 18-gun sloop Wolverine in February 1806, he cannot know how much his life and family will change until he can finally return to his Surrey home. A story in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Historical   Military   War   Interracial  

December 1808

With only three days left before Christmas, Thomas rode into Guildford on the next morning. He desperately needed new uniforms. The ones he had brought with him were by now three years old and a tight fit on his fully grown figure. He had never been able to have new coats tailored, never staying in one port long enough.

He found the tailor’s shop where his old coats had been made and was measured for a new set and six new breeches. Shirts and cravats were also on his list, as were stockings made of fine cotton or even silk, the latter reserved for the Nº1 uniform. After some deliberation, he also ordered a great coat. All this would be ready a week hence, he was promised, and he paid an advance of £10.

Next, a pair of sea boots and another pair of buckled shoes were ordered from the shoemaker. He still had a pair of boots of very sturdy quality made in Gibraltar for his everyday use.

The expenditures would set him back by at least £50, but they were necessary. He could also afford them.

Knowing that he would return home, Thomas had purchased gifts for his parents in one of the pawnshops of Gibraltar, such as a fine set of table silverware for his mother and a beautiful rifled fowling piece for his father. He had not anticipated however that Mirabel Goodwin would be very much the daughter of the house. Therefore he searched several merchant stores for a fitting gift, settling in the end for a simple, single-tier pearl necklace from the town’s only jeweller.

With his purchases made, he rode the horse trap back home, arriving in time for an afternoon tea. He found his mother in the parlour, accompanied by Mirabel, and he joined them. One of the maidservants, Jane if he remembered correctly, served him tea, and he reported on his purchases. His mother still had to come to terms with the fact that her son was now grown up, and she questioned some of his choices, such as how many coats for how many breeches, and the like. Thomas explained his reasonings in good humour, but he also made it clear to her that he knew his needs quite well.

This led to a discussion of the living conditions in the wardroom, something in which Mirabel also showed interest. He gave them the sanitised version, leaving out the appalling stench in the quarters, but also the conditions under which the ratings slept.

When his mother asked if he had made the acquaintance of ladies during his travels, Thomas told them about the reception at The Convent in Gibraltar, and how he had first met the future Mrs. Benning and escorted her home, leaving out the part, of course, that had come after that courtesy. He then told of the rescue of Mrs. Duncan and her daughters and how he had been Mrs. Duncan’s partner at the wedding reception. He noticed that his mother’s eyebrows had gone up, and she expressed her opinion without mincing words.

“Thomas, much as I admire the gallantry you showed when rescuing that woman, you should not have let yourself be seen with her publicly. I can pity her of course, but you should not consort with a person who gave herself to that heathen.”

This got Thomas’s dander up a little.

“Mother, Mrs. Duncan is a fine woman of impeccable character, and if she sacrificed herself for the sake of her young daughters, I think all the more of her.”

“Thomas, you did not... ?”

“Mother, I met her only at Captain Benning’s house where she was a guest of Mrs. Benning, and never again after that.”

That was indeed the truth he thought, and his mother need not know more.

“Oh! Well, let us drop this issue lest we embarrass Mirabel.”

Conversation then moved to less sensitive issues, and soon his mother declared that she would go to her room for a little rest, leaving Thomas alone with Mirabel. She regarded him with a sly smile.

“Where in Captain Benning’s house did you meet your Mrs. Duncan then?” she whispered.

Thomas was quite certain that he blushed beet-red, but he kept silent.

“She must have been very grateful,” she probed further.

“Er ... yes. She was effusive in her thanks, but as I pointed out to her, I was only doing my duty.”

“Define ‘effusive’, if you please?” she grinned now, but then she noticed his embarrassment and she was contrite. “I am very sorry. I should not have pried. I believe that your defence of her was very gentlemanly and endearing. That was the first thing I noticed about you back then, when you offered me your handkerchief. There I stood, the child of the man your mother hated and of a mixed blood woman, and you offered me help.”

“I thought you never noticed.”

“I was too afraid to move, but I remembered.”

“Ah!”

“Yes, that was the meaning of my farewell gift.”

“I still have all of them.”

“I noticed,” she smiled.

“You went through...”

“Your mother asked me to find out what items you might need. Besides, they were in the washhouse already.” She grinned. “What else might I find in your sea chest?”

By now, Thomas was composed again. “Nothing of which I should be ashamed.”

“Oh, I am sure. Master Grey, are you ... does it bother you to find me here as the daughter of the house?”

He shook his head. “You give my mother a purpose by filling the gap I left behind. Really, I am happy for my mother and for you. I would also ask you to call me by my first name. ‘Master Grey’ sounds wrong coming from you. You’re not a servant in this house, but a family member.”

“Thank you, Thomas!” She beamed at him, but this changed into a rueful smile. “I believe that I should tend to my chores now.”

“What chores then?” he asked bewildered.

“Practicing the new sheet music I received. Your parents expect me to play the harpsichord when they have guests. It is what a daughter of the house has to do. I assure you that it is preferable to doing the laundry, but it’s hard work nonetheless. Au revoir!”

With that she was gone and Thomas breathed easier. Mirabel was quite a handful to be sure.


Christmas morning dawned late and found Thomas still lazing in his bed. He was catching up on all the sleep he had missed in over three years, and he had also indulged in memories of Catrina Duncan and her womanly charms. He was torn from those thoughts by a knock on the door.

“Mrs. Grey asks you to join the family for breakfast,” Jane, the maidservant called.

He threw off the duvet shivering a little in the chilly air.

“Tell her I’ll be down presently!”

He quickly washed his face and armpits at the wash stand, put on a fresh shirt and simple cotton stockings and stepped into his breeches. He combed his hair and tied it behind his head. A house coat borrowed from his father and warm felt shoes completed his attire, and he descended the stairs.

He found his parents in the dining room, sitting in upholstered chairs and waiting for Thomas and Mirabel. There were a number of gifts assembled opposite the fireplace, wrapped in tinted papers or covered by a blanket. His parents had started the practice of giving gifts for Christmas a few years before, but he knew that this was not a widespread custom amongst the neighbours. Nevertheless, he felt a little anticipation and excitement.

Mirabel showed but a minute later, wearing a house dress of warm wool cloth and her curly hair open.

“There you are, my dear!” Margaret Grey smiled. “Oh dear! To have both children here for Christmas! Thomas, your gifts are on the left; Mirabel, yours are on the right.”

Thomas grinned. “Father, Mother, your presents are in the closet.”

“Presents? For us?” Margaret asked.

“Why, certainly!” Thomas replied. “I brought some gifts for you. Mirabel, there’s one for you as well, the smallest I’m afraid.”

She gave him a sly smile. “Yours is also the smallest. There was little time to prepare.”

Dutifully, she opened the larger gifts first, finding a pair of fine boots in the first and a warm woollen cape in the other, which latter she tried on and found very much to her liking. Giving Thomas a quick look, she then opened the small box containing his gift and held her breath.

“This ... this is for ... me?” she gasped. “It’s so beautiful! You shouldn’t have!”

“Thomas, you astound me!” his mother chided gently. “This would be more appropriate for wooing a young lady!”

He shrugged. “When I decide to woo a young lady, I’ll remember that. Mirabel, remember how you asked me if I resented your presence? This is meant as my answer.”

“Thomas, you are a fine young man!” Theodore Grey interjected. “And I wonder what you might have found for me!”

He opened the oblong package to find the fowling piece. “By Jove! This is a wonderful piece! It’s Spanish-made, isn’t it?”

“I believe so. I found it in a Gibraltar shop and it looked like the one you lost years ago.”

“Indeed it does, but it is of a better make. Thank you, Thomas.”

Shaking her head, Margaret Grey opened her gift, the silverware set, but then she smiled.

“Oh, dear! These are just so nice! Now these,” she could not help but chide, “these would have been an appropriate gift for Mirabel.”

Thomas had to smile when he saw Mirabel’s firm head shake.

“You may be alone in this assessment,” Theodore Grey interjected. “Now, Thomas, open your gifts!”

Smiling in anticipation, Thomas opened a wooden case to find a finely made telescopic brass spyglass made by Dollond of London. It was as fine a glass as he had ever seen. Five rapid steps brought him to the window. Extending the glass, he opened the window and directed the spyglass at a distant tree. He could see each branch, even twigs, clearly defined. He quickly closed the window again and collapsed the glass.

“This is a wonderful glass, Father! It’s much better than anything I ever used.”

“When I learned that you earned your lieutenant’s commission, I ordered it in London.”

“Thank you, Father. I’ll take good care of it.”

His mother’s gift for Thomas was a heavy scarf made of silk. It was soft and warm and would be wonderful to wear during night watches. Thomas smiled again and thanked his mother for the thoughtful gift.

He had left Mirabel’s gift for last. It was indeed a small package and he expected a new set of handkerchiefs. He was surprised when he found a pair of mittens, knitted tightly with blue dyed cotton wool. Those would be useful for cold night watches. He gave Mirabel a grateful smile.

“Thank you! This is a thoughtful gift too.”

With the gift giving finished, they sat down for breakfast. For Thomas, eating at a properly set table was still a welcome change from the practices on board the Wolverine or the Andromeda. The food was fresh, the room was well lit, and he ate with great appetite.

Conversation also flowed around the table. For once, his mother did not try to talk him into visiting neighbours with nubile daughters, and he appreciated the break. Perhaps his father had spoken to her. In the end, it was the elder Grey who spoke up about an unresolved issue.

“So, Thomas, tell us about your plans.”

“I ... ha-hrm ... My orders are to report to the Admiralty for a new appointment.”

“I see. When do you plan to go to London then?”

“I was thinking to go after the New Year. I still have to wait for the tailor to finish my orders, and they will not expect me so soon.”

“Quite so,” Theodore Grey agreed. “You should also consider to invest some of your prize monies.”

Thomas nodded. “I was thinking of that. I have almost £800 saved, but the tailor and shoemaker’s tallies will probably eat up £50 or more. I also need funds for when I’ll join a new ship.”

Theodore Grey made a negligent motion with his hand.

“I already took care of those costs. You’ll also get your deposits back when you pick up the items. If you are willing to invest £600 to £700, I can watch out for opportunities. If you want I can make land purchases in your name and oversee them.”

“Would you, Father? I’d like that. Maybe not tillable land, but some property in Guildford? A shop perhaps from which to draw rent?”

“If that’s your wish, I shall look into opportunities. “You could also invest in the Funds, but then that money will be tied up for years. You’re young, and who knows when you might need money?”

“I believe I’d prefer property, Father,” Thomas replied.

“We are in agreement then. I shall let you know what will come out of this. Another thing – Mr. Egerton will probably return to London after the New Year. Should I ask him if he can give you transport?”

“You mean, the Mr. Egerton?”

“Yes, our member of parliament. I do know him well and he might do me the favour. Now, if you give him a good impression of yourself, he might just watch over your interest.”

“Do you think that I need that already? I’ve only a year in rank.”

“It is never too early to make a good impression. These matters take time, and you may well have three or more years in rank before he can do anything for you.”

“Do you think he can influence my next posting?”

“I can ask. We’ll be at his house anyway, for the New Year’s ball. So you better stay sober and polite. One more thing – do not ask his wife for a dance. She’s quite young and he’s insanely jealous of any man who comes close to her!”

“I shall ask Mirabel for a dance and then keep in the background,” Thomas answered lightly, but he could see Mirabel flinch.

“I’ll not be going,” she said sadly.

Thomas knew he had said something wrong and he looked at his father for guidance.

“Poor Mirabel does not meet with acceptance by everybody,” Theodore Grey explained. “Last year was a bit hurtful for her.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.