The Props Master Prequel: Behind the Ivory Veil
Chapter 14: The Cup

Copyright© 2017 by aroslav

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 14: The Cup - Myth, Magic, and Mayhem reign for an Indiana couple. When musicologist Wesley Allen is recruited to interpret the strange symbols of The Music of the Gods in the Metéora of Greece, his new wife, Rebecca, pursues her anthropological studies and is initiated into the great Coven Carles in England. The two worlds collide as Wesley and Rebecca find the reality of myth and magic. But will releasing the goddess captive behind the Ivory Veil also tear their lives apart?

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Magic   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction   First  

Thursday, 28 July 1955, Edinburgh, Scotland

Rebecca awoke alert and refreshed. She’d had uncommonly restful nights for the past two weeks, possibly related to the exhaustion she experienced, first through her research and second through the instruction she had been receiving from Mrs. Weed. The sun cracked through the fog that seemed present every morning in this part of Edinburgh, and streamed through her window. The amount of energy she felt this morning crackled up and down her spine. The gift she had received from the woman sleeping in the second bed across the room seemed to lift her up.

Alice Weed, her sponsor and friend and now roommate, slept on noisily into the dawn. Rebecca smiled. In the weeks since her initiation, the woman had become a mother to her.


Friday, 24 June 1955, Edinburgh, Scotland

Three days after her initiation, Dr. Reston, her advisor, approached Rebecca following his lecture.

“How are you settling in, Mrs. Allen?” he asked.

“Life has been a bit hectic,” she admitted. “I spent part of last week at the embassy getting my passport changed to my married name. I didn’t anticipate such difficulty. This week ... Shall we say I discovered resources I never imagined existed.”

“I’m not surprised. All the older legends of the British Isles are heavily dosed with the worship of the goddess. How are your lodgings?” asked the professor.

“I admit the boarding house is a bit stressful,” she answered. “Mark it up to my being a spoiled American. We always expect a level of, shall we say, convenience.”

“Or to be pandered to,” laughed Dr. Reston. Rebecca knew he was at least partly serious. “Sharing a bath with four other women, I assume could be a hardship. That is why I took the liberty of talking to an old friend. She has expressed a willingness to board you in more private quarters for the summer if you’d like.”

“I would be interested in speaking with her.”

“Her cottage is in Musselburgh, so you might need a bicycle to get to the university, but the opportunity to have quiet while you study will likely be worth the seven miles you need to pedal. I’ve written down her information for you. She is expecting your call. It is a quick trip by black cab.” He handed her a slip of paper and Rebecca started as she read the information.

“Is this... ?”

“The widow of Dr. Weed, whose treatise you investigated this week. I told her of your interest and she suggested you visit her. She still has many artifacts from Dr. Weed’s illustrious career. You should go today.”


Rebecca found herself on the doorstep of a lovely cottage, in sight of the Firth of Forth. When the door opened a smiling Mrs. Weed greeted Rebecca.

“Mrs. Weed...”

“Alice, dearie. We know each other well enough to be first name friends when we are together, don’t you think?”

“You can’t imagine how happy I am to see you. I was afraid that ... I don’t know. It seemed almost like a dream.”

“Now, Becca, you have adequate evidence, I think, that what has happened has indeed happened. Come in. Come in, girl. You must have a thousand questions.”

Rebecca did have questions but scarcely knew where to start. The two women had ‘tea’ from four in the afternoon to nearly midnight. Rebecca was shown a room with two single beds where she and Mrs. Weed would sleep. It was still better than the five women in the boarding house. Their conversation centered on the craft and thealogy, reflection on the feminine divine.

“You have come one long step, Becca. You have entered inside the circle of the goddess. But that does not necessarily mean that you must go further. Perhaps you already have enough information to write your thesis.”

“I certainly have more than enough to satisfy my degree,” responded Rebecca. “But I have not begun to satisfy myself. When I entered the circle, there was a feeling of warmth, even overcoming the fear I had. It was a sense of homecoming. It’s strange, isn’t it? I thought I would feel dirty or sinful, but I don’t sense a conflict between being a good Christian and being a good witch. It was like God was there with me.”

“That He was, child. Our coven has never denied His presence or workings. We simply accept that there is more to the universe than is revealed in one set of holy writings,” Mrs. Weed said.

“How can I learn more?”

“Well, now, since you’ve asked, I suppose that I can teach you. I wouldn’t consider it but what you insist. It’s no place for a fine young Christian girl like yourself.”

“Alice,” laughed Rebecca, “you can’t be serious!”

“I’m very serious. I would not consider teaching you the craft if it were not that you asked, and then only because I think it may stand between you and danger.”

Rebecca remembered words that continued to haunt her dreams. The best guides in the world cannot always get you safely through the gates of hell. She could certainly not be guided unless she devoted herself to learning.

“What do you mean by standing between me and danger,” she finally asked.

“I saw a spark of recognition between you and The Blade at the circle. Yes, I know you have had doubts—or perhaps hopes—but it was he. I don’t know what is between you, but I dare say it has to do with dear Phillip and the adventure your husband is on. You and The Blade are now members of the same coven, though of different circles. He is of Threlkeld and you are of Braithwaite, my circle. The Flame Keeper, whom you also know, is a coven brother, but he chose not to pursue the craft, only to link in fellowship through the circle at High Lodore. The Blade follows the craft with a vengeance. He might be the best ritual magician I’ve ever met. I suspect, however, that he dabbles on the dark side. I fear for him.”

“What should I do?”

“Do? Why, doing nothing is always the best defense, but not if faced by a demon. The Blade is under the protection of the circle, just as you are, but God knows what he might do if you meet outside our sphere of influence. If you have any talent at all, I can teach you enough arcane wisdom in a fortnight to counteract most of what he might throw at you magically. However, his passion and skill with a knife are unmatched.”

“How did he get so attached to knives?”

“That’s a fine place to begin your teaching. A witch, which you must know we are still called, uses four tools in the ritual practice of her craft...”


Wednesday, 27 July 1955, Edinburgh, Scotland

“Every member holds responsibility in a coven,” Alice instructed. She was preparing Rebecca for the coming ritual at Lughnasad in just ten days. It would be the first time she had returned to the stone circle since her initiation and Rebecca was thrilled. “In Cobhan Carles, the tool keepers are of great significance. They are all brought together only for the working of powerful magic. It has happened during the times when there was open revolt in our country, when a tool needed to be replaced, when danger to the coven arises, and even to help Britain withstand the assault of the Germans.”

“You went to war?” Rebecca asked.

“In a manner of speaking. You must understand that magic is a very real thing and Hitler was known to employ his own dark coven to attempt to weaken his enemies. We bound ourselves together with other covens throughout the country and fought the battles on a spiritual plane.”

“What are the tools and who keeps them?”

“The First Face of Carles is the Athamé, called Creüs, ruler of the air spirits. It is in the keeping of The Blade. You saw him as the gatekeeper of the circle, but that is a position that is delegated for each gathering. The gatekeeper is responsible for the integrity of the wards around our circle—to see that nothing malevolent gets in. The Second Face of Carles is the wand, Iäpetus, ruler of the fire. It is a staff about chin-height in length that you have seen in the care of the one we call The Flame Keeper. The Third Face of Carles is in my keeping. It is the cup called Cottus, ruler of the water. And finally, the Fourth Face of Carles is the pentacles, Enceladus, ruler of earth. It is currently in the keeping of our high priestess, The Earth Mother. While the bearers of the tools may change, it is always a member of the circle charged with its keeping.”

“What responsibility will I have in the coven?” Rebecca asked.

“When it is time for you to take responsibility, the coven will direct you. You need time to be instructed in the workings of the circle first. Sometimes it is several years before a member is called to her full charge.”

“Would a tool do to me what it has done to The Blade? Take over my personality?”

“Power is neutral. People make such decisions, not the tool. The Blade had a fascination with knives long before he became a keeper. His little girl is much the same way. She is ten years old and is already training as a fencer with Olympic hopes when she is sixteen.”

“She seemed so young and innocent. I was surprised to see a child in the circle,” Rebecca said.

“Her mother is the high priestess and she was conceived during the raising of power as we fought the Germans. So, you see, she has been part of the circle since conception.”

“What is she called?”

“Last time we met she was just The Point. The time before, she called herself Epi. She is young and not fully initiated into the circle, which cannot happen until her first woman’s blood flows. Until then, she chooses a name according to her mood at the moment.”

Alice rose to retrieve her own sacred tools from a shelf. These she set on the table between them. Then she also brought a pewter goblet, heavily engraved with runes, to the table.

“We need a space in which to work. Follow me and repeat the words I say. As we finish each spell, draw a summoning pentagram in the air. We will begin in the East.” Mrs. Weed had often cast a warding circle when she taught Rebecca rituals, so the words and gestures were familiar to Rebecca as they worked from east to south to west to north and finally, back to the east where they closed the circle.

“Now, Hart, we are within our circle of power,” she said, switching to their coven names. “May the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be sweet savor to the powers we invoke.” She picked up the pewter goblet and caressed it in her hands. It was heavily engraved both inside and out. As Rebecca looked at it, she realized the engravings had been done by hand, not with the popular electric engraving tools. Mrs. Weed smiled at her.

“This was my husband’s cup, Hart. He used it as a member of our fellowship for thirty years.” The older woman’s voice became wistful as she remembered her husband. “The etching is all in his own hand—symbols of spells and rituals that you may find useful in the future. I give this cup into your hands and consecrate it to your good works. With this cup, I give you a secret name that you will not share with others unless you are working deep magic with them. This name is Sadb. You are named for the Celtic goddess of transformation. She herself was transformed into a hind, the female counterpart of the hart that is your name in the circle. You will have the transforming power of both. With your name, I give you mine.” The old woman took her knife from its position on the east side of the table and asked for Rebecca’s hand. She pricked a tiny spot in the left palm and then did the same to her own. She grasped Rebecca’s hand in her own so the two drops of blood would mingle.

“I am Hebe. Your blood now runs in my veins, my blood in yours, Sadb. We will always be bound. Let all that passes between us be sealed in our hearts in trust and friendship,” she intoned. “May your cup be always filled with joy. May it work blessings for you ever.”

Rebecca was overwhelmed. She whispered the words of acceptance, “So mote it be,” and rushed to embrace her friend.

“When you have gathered all your tools, you will be fully in your power, but they shall all come to you from the hands of others. Be careful that you consecrate each to the service of the goddess.” Rebecca could see herself gathering the sacred tools of her craft.

“How do I consecrate them?”

“Ah. That is for tomorrow.”


Thursday, 28 July 1955, City of the Gods

Wesley stood at the center of the rostrum slowly turning to his right as he looked out toward the edges. The strings partitioning the surface had been removed for the day a little early. All the explorers were weary after over a month of daily trips to the City of the Gods. Doc and Margaret collapsed next to the rostrum and leaned back against it. Pol watched as Wesley slowly completed one revolution of his languid spin.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.