We Took Things a Day at a Time
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2017 by Rolf

“I’m sorry G, if I open the can of soup and make the tea am I forgiven? Remember I’m only a poor man and right handed to boot.”

“Dummy, of course I remember that and as for soup, guess what?”

“What, wait that’s how I got in trouble before. I should have said, yes dear there is no way your poor and humble servant could guess.”

“Better, now your learning. Before I was so rudely responded to, I was going to tell you, TADA, we won at least $50 on the lottery ticket you bought. No more just soup buddy boy I want a burger and fries and...”

“Oink, oink, wait a sec, burger or fries not both, that $50 has to last you know.”

“Meanie, I’m a growing girl and want my fries and a burger.”

She stuck her tongue out at Shawn. “Do you want to get the ticket cashed or should I. Think we need to call first to find out where we have to go. I hope it’s close to a bus or train stop.”

“Let’s call at school and go that afternoon. And G. if it’s more than $50 you can have a burger, fries and a shake even. I’m sorry I got you upset.”

“Goof, I would never be mad at you, not for long anyway, your my best buddy.”

“Yeah, you are mine too. It’s just so hard G, I don’t know how we made it this far, this long and we stil...”

“Shush, we start looking for real jobs next month. The school will have an open house for seniors and unless I miss my guess this $50 win is a sign that things are going to get better for us. Besides can you think of better roomies than each other? Three years already, Shawn that is like a record or something; some marriages can’t even last as long as we have.”

The next day the info about redeeming that ticket was on the Internet at the library. They read 15 Beaver Street New York, NY10004. Phone: (212) 383-1317. URL: http://www.nylottery.org, they also saw up to $600 anywhere they were sold were redemption sites. So, they might as well check online now, who knew maybe it was more than $50.

Georgina sort of crashed back in the chair.

“What, G, what’s wrong?”

She started to tremble and cry. She pounded him with closed fists then pulled him to her.

Shawn saw what she had seen on the monitor. The TriState jackpot was $756 million. On the screen too was the same numbers that were on their ticket. Now Shawn was the one pulling G close and holding on to her like his life depended on it.

Mr. Gavin James was G’s academic adviser. His advice was sound, ‘to get the best lawyer and accountant money could buy to advise them what to do.’

Within fifteen minutes the first thirty minutes being free, Saunders, Dempsey and Symthe were more than willing to assist a potential new client. Mr. Saunders would see them ASAP. He laid out several options but gave his recommendation too.

“Before you cash that in, line your ducks up. If you each give me $1 now, you are clients. I will help you get a bank, investment people and an accountant. You can stay with me or go with another lawyer later. Money talks in this town, Hell in any town. I recommend: Take the lump sum cash now, pay the estimated taxes, split the named owners as you and Georgina owning half the other half your own Private LLC or Corporation owning the rest. Listen to the accountant on that but I have had three other big Lotto winners do the same as I’m telling you now.”

“Why would you do this for us?

“Simple I think over the next 40 or 50 years you will gladly pay us a lot of money if we can help you now when you need it. One hand washes the other. Besides, I have enough money of my own and hate to see you pay the government more than you have too.”

It took four meetings before Georgina, Shawn and their entourage walk into the meeting to claim their winnings. Checking, savings, corporate and investment funds were electronically set to transfer by the next day. They split the lump sum as the only two ticket owners.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.