Hairy Roadtrip - Cover

Hairy Roadtrip

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 5

Not that connecting with the police was expedient. No. This was a country CLUB ... Members and their Guests ONLY ... exceptions must be cleared by the council. The cops objected when the ambulance was waved through but they ... the minions of the law ... were kept out while the council sorted.

It was soon handled. Wendy, decently dressed, picked up the phone and explained. If explained is the correct word. Another 911 dispatcher might not have been so understanding ... but this one was a girl and understood compromising situations ... having been in a few herself.

She called off the law at the same time the committee reached the conclusion that ... it was the men in blue after all ... and they should be able to respond to difficult situations that may occur within the sacred grounds of the club.

Called off or not ... the blaring siren over-rode the announcement ... the officers continued on to the house in time to see a body on a gurney being loaded in the back of the ambulance. The lights came on. The ambulance driver was pleased to have an escort. The police were NOT pleased that the van didn’t respond by stopping.

Illiff to Evans to South Colorado, north on South Colorado and so to the brain trauma specialists at the Center. The ambulance backed up to the Emergency Unit loading and unloading dock. David was transported to the four bay Initial Triage section. Wasn’t it wonderful that both Wendy and David were Clan Austin ... conclusions were made, however faulty, and Wendy was listed as Spouse and Next of Kin.

Meanwhile, the sergeant of the division was determined to Get to the Bottom of the situation. There was no bottom to get to ... the chief resident of the residence in question was unavailable, the secondary resident was not in residence either, and “No, I have no idea where the owner is. If he is not at his offices ... perhaps he is in court,” said the gardener ... the only member of the staff present. “I am under contract and only here two days a week.” This in a heavy accent that left no doubt that despite his oriental looks the gardner was from New Jersey ... Northern New Jersey.

The Sergeant, rebuffed at every turn, loaded his ass up in his unmarked car and sped off to the hospital. His men weren’t at Porter. They weren’t at The Medical Center at Aurora. The University Hospital hadn’t seen them. The longer he looked the farther afield he got.

Hospitals are like Faraday Cages. There are masses of copper wires, copper pipe, grounded metal studs and rebar, oxygen piping and sundry articles demanded by city, state and Federal regulations that the cop two-way radios of the day didn’t work inside. The Sergeant was at a loss until ... their work having been completely frustrated by bureaucrats ... and lack of warrants ... that they returned to their squad car and called in.

“Where are you?” he enquired.

“At the hospital,” was the response.

“Which one?”

“Head Trauma Center,” spoke the radio.

“Why there?”

“The first responders took the victim to the closest...”

“Which victim? The girl or the guy?”

“Both.”


Wendy fretted.

David had no idea.

The voices in his head couldn’t communicate ... David was “OUT” and continued to be ... out.

By some convoluted thinking unknown, the voices ... weren’t talking to Wendy ... she was too scattered ... and frustrated ... for speedy communication. The chick was awash in hormones ... poor thing.

Finally ... everybody entered the EU at the neurological hospital. Today was a bad day, the lobby waiting room was packed. Headaches by the score ... the Chargers had kicked the Broncos collective asses. Gloom and despair abounded. The Sergeant muscled his way to the induction desk.

“Have you a warrant?”

Of course they didn’t ... it was an unconfirmed 911 report. The ambulance was long gone. Their snitch, a transporter, admitted to transporting three of the Clan Austin to assorted units. Which Austins they were he didn’t know ... but two went to NICU (NEURO INTENSIVE CARE UNIT) and the third was in the Cafeteria. (She was cute so he walked her down.) She was gone by the time the LAW had negotiated the halls.

Three days later, David woke up.

The nurse said, “I’ll just notify the doctor and page your wife.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.