Sho-sho Mamu, Inc
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by aubie56

Author’s note: The Sho-Sho Mamu is purely a figment of my imagination!

Mason Running Bear (oh, how he hated that name!!) stole out of the house after midnight. He didn’t want to wake up his family and have to explain why he was wearing his ceremonial shaman regalia. This was the fourth consecutive night that he had made the trip to his secret shrine, and he planned for it to be the last one before the big event.

Mason Running Bear had a deep hatred for the Whites who had taken up so much of the sacred land of the Black Hills. His problems started in early school grades when the White children had teased him about his name and Sioux heritage. Mason became more and more “Indian” as he was teased, even as far as high school. He was looking for a measure of revenge long before he graduated from high school, and he made no secret of his hatred of the “oppressive Whites.”

He spent four years in the US Army as the penalty for starting a fire at the local county courthouse. The judge who heard his case decided that what Mason Running Bear needed was the discipline that the military could teach him, but he was not acceptable to the Marines, so the judge compromised with the Army. Anyway, Mason spent his four years that the judge had decreed just barely getting by without a discharge for being a troublemaker.

Upon discharge, Mason returned to his family home in the Black Hills and cultivated a friendship with a local shaman who believed the way Mason did. The shaman taught Mason everything he knew about the mystic world of the Sioux and how to make contact with the spirits that dwelled there. During this time, Mason eked out a living by subsistence farming and hunting until he met a woman who was willing to marry a “crazy witch doctor” and was willing to work at a job which would support the both of them. They eventually had two children, but that was as much of an accident as was most of what happened to Mason Running Bear.

Mason’s hatred of the Whites came to a head when he heard of a plan to put in a theme park catering to the whims and foolishness of White tourists. This park was to be located on a formerly very sacred section of ground. Mason was sure that the park and its visitors would disrupt all of the sacred spirits dwelling in the Black Hills; therefore, Mason took it upon himself to put a stop to the sacrilege.

He discussed the situation with his only confidant: that other, older, “crazy witch doctor.” They concluded that the only proper way to counter the White plan was to call upon the spirits themselves to fight. Never one to settle for half-measures, Mason wanted to call up the most fearful demon monster to fight for the sacred land. His friend did not object, but neither one realized that once the monster was called to the human dimension that there would be no way to control it.

Mason and his friend Gray Wolf set about gathering what they would need for the summoning ceremony. Most of the stuff was easy for them to collect, but the main component of the ceremony was going to be a bit tougher: a human child to be flayed alive as the culmination of the ceremony.

As it happened, Mason knew exactly who he wanted to be this sacrifice: the 8 year old son of his worst tormentor during Mason’s school days. Gray Wolf was not sure that it really made much difference who the victim was, so he went along with Mason’s wishes.

The climax of the ceremony had to take place on the night of the full moon, so they had three weeks to get ready. Other than the child for sacrifice, there was no problem gathering what was needed. The main problem was in constructing the altar and purifying it so that the sacrifice would be accepted. The two men found a suitable place and constructed the altar very carefully according to all of the specifications that Gray Wolf could remember. The altar construction was just a mundane job of building a simple structure, but the purification routine was another story, entirely.

The two men finished the altar and its associated components with a two-day cushion wherein they could rest before the four days of purification ceremonies had to begin. Each night of the purification ceremonies involved about five hours of intense activity so that each man was exhausted by the time he got to bed. It was fortunate that only four nights of this activity was required; otherwise, no human could have endured the trials involved.

The last night of the ceremony was especially trying because the main participant, Mason Running Bear, had to sacrifice a part of himself. After some discussion with Gray Wolf, the two men decided that Mason would part with his foreskin, since that was attached to his most intimate organ. Because of the difficulty of a man removing his own foreskin, they decided to have Gray Wolf do the honors. The operation had to be done without anesthetic for it to be sufficiently meaningful, so Mason allowed himself to be tied in place on the altar with the same bindings they planned to use for Joey Bishop the following night.

In honor of the sanctity of the ceremony, Gray Wolf was planning to use a flint knife that had come to him through inheritance from one of his ancestors back before the days of trading with the Whites. This was no hindrance since freshly knapped flint was sharper than the common razor blade. Both men bathed ritually and made ready for the ceremony.

Mason was remarkably calm as he lay down on the altar, and it was easy to see that Gray Wolf was the more nervous of the two. Actually, Gray Wolf had to spend a few minutes in prayer to the spirits of the Black Hills before he could begin the ceremony. However, once he began, Gray Wolf made the cut in one continuous motion and caused very little pain to Mason. Both were surprised as how easy it had been to circumcise Mason, but the pain hit when Mason tried to walk after rising from the altar.

They had the necessary bandages ready, and Gray Wolf applied the dressing to Mason’s penis. Mason rested for about an hour before he was able to walk to the pickup truck that Gray Wolf used to drive him home. The next day, Mason slept late, and his wife did not notice anything different in Mason’s habits as compared to the previous week. Mason arose at noon and changed his bandage before meeting Gray Wolf on their way to kidnap Joey Bishop for that night’s ceremony.

The kidnapping went smoothly as they were able to capture Joey as he walked home from the school bus that delivered him from school. They tied the boy’s arms and legs and slipped a canvas bag over his head before driving to the planned site of the sacrifice.

Joey was kept tied up and Gray Wolf stayed with him as a guard while Mason went home to maintain an air of normality. They did not want to give any sign of being involved in unusual activity and bring suspicion upon themselves. Gray Wolf now lived by himself, so he did not have to fool anyone.

Mason went through his usual routine and sneaked out of the house a little after midnight. He drove the pickup to the site of the shrine. The two men woke up Joey and stripped him of his clothes. They tied him to the altar and began the preliminary activities associated with the ceremony. They were far enough away from any dwelling that they did not have to worry about being overheard, no matter how loud Joey screamed.

Both men were skilled at skinning dead animals, but this was their first try at skinning a live one. Unfortunately for him, Joey lived through most of the flaying, but he did die before Mason had made the last cut. Mason did the flaying while Gray Wolf kept up a series of prayers and chants. Just as Mason was finishing his last cut, there was a glow of red-yellow light in the air, just as one would see at a fire.

Neither man had known how the Sho-Sho Mamu would manifest itself nor exactly what it would look like, and they would have little opportunity to contemplate the results of their gruesome work. A hulking beast approximately 12 feet tall and proportioned somewhat like a man suddenly appeared. That was all they were able to see before they were torn in two by sweeping blows from massive clawed hands. The Sho-Sho Mamu seemed pleased as it dined on the more delectable parts of the three bodies presented to him. Once it was satisfied, it moved off into the forest.

*********

There was quite a hue and cry over the disappearance of Joey Bishop, some minor comment over the disappearance of Mason Running Bear, and nobody noticed the disappearance of Gray Wolf. The search for the boy was carried through most of the forest out for a radius of about 10 miles. Nothing was found for 11 days until a hunter stumbled upon the remains of the sacrificial site.

Obviously, there were the remains of a child and two adults. Forensic analysis showed that the child was Joey Bishop and one of the adults was Mason Running Bear. The other adult was never positively identified, but everybody was sure that it must be the remains of Gray Wolf.

Mason Running Bear’s wife collected on a small insurance policy she had taken out on her husband upon the advice of one of her lovers. Other than that, his death had little effect on her life. On the other hand, the Bishop family was almost destroyed by the death of Joey and the way that he had died. Joey’s father sold his business and the family moved away to Oregon where they took up life more or less as if Joey had never existed. The memory of him was just too painful for any of the family to dwell on his life or death.

Life pretty much returned to normal until three nights later. Forensic analysis later showed that the events in question began about 1:20 AM. A house on the outskirts of Blue Point, SD, was attacked by some unidentified entity, starting at that time. Entry to the house was gained through a picture window in the living room. Three human and one canine occupant of the house were ripped to shreds by what seemed to be very large claws. Furthermore, the same portions of the body of each victim, including the dog, appeared to have been eaten, judging from the teeth marks around the sites of the missing organs.

One footprint was found outside the house clearly enough defined to be identified as such, but it did not match any animal normally living in the Black Hills area. Except for its massive size, there was some resemblance to a wolf’s right hind paw, but its size ruled out a wolf as being the culprit. Everybody who saw the footprint was baffled. Naturally, no arrests were made, but people were warned to be on their guard. Even more baffling, there was no further sign of the beast, even though there was a thorough search made of the area.

Dammit, the next week hosted the same sort of visitation by a sadistic killer that liked to eat some choice portions of its victims. In these two cases, one of the attacks was on an RV (Recreation Vehicle) belonging to some fishermen. Four men were killed and the RV was demolished as if the beast were hunting for more victims in the vehicle before it left.

The other attack was on a lonely house being occupied by a couple on their honeymoon. They, too, were killed and partially eaten before they were abandoned. Again, this attack was identical to the previous three in the important details, and people were starting to take the whole thing very seriously. The local newspaper took the lead by offering a bounty for the capture of the beast, dead or alive. In short order, by popular subscription, the reward had grown to $35,000 and showed signs of growing higher if the beast were not soon caught.

The fourth attack was on a small convenience store, and this store had something that the other attack sites had lacked: it had a surveillance camera. In this case, only the elderly clerk was killed, but there was now photographic evidence of the attacking beast. The camera even recorded the beast eating portions of the victim!

As was the usual thing with surveillance cameras, the quality of the picture was abysmal, but the picture was clear enough to show an animal that had to be at least 10-feet tall and normally walked upright. In this case, the ceiling was so low that the animal was bent over or walking on four legs the whole time, so it was virtually impossible to get a complete picture of its true size. Nevertheless, there was no question that the animal was huge, and that it vaguely resembled a wolf.

The photos were published in newspapers, magazines, and on TV, so it was not long before the creature was known as the Werewolf of the Black Hills. Some college professor got credit for the work of one of his graduate students by pointing out the resemblance of the werewolf to the Sho-Sho Mamu of Sioux mythology. No Sioux was foolish enough to volunteer any more information on the Sho-Sho Mamu, so there was not much learned by the authorities except for its name.

Not long after the Sho-Sho Mamu was described on TV, the local newspaper got a telephone call asking if a simple exorcism would be sufficient to claim the reward. The reply was that anything that rid the Black Hills of the beast was enough to earn the reward; however, there would have to be some proof that it had happened. The caller agreed with that proviso, and said that she would be in touch with the newspaper in a few days.

Four days later, a famous occultist from New York City showed up at the newspaper office and claimed that she would rid the locals of the Sho-Sho Mamu menace. The woman was about four feet tall and dressed like the stereotypical Gypsy from a 1930s movie, so there was some question as to whether or not to take her seriously. As it happened, the wife of the publisher of the paper was a fan of the occult and had heard of the woman, Madam Artesia, who claimed to be able to rid them of the curse. Therefore, the newspaper assigned a reporter to follow Madam Artesia’s activities full time and to write a series of columns for the paper. The reporter was promised a by-line, so she accepted the assignment.

Madam Artesia did what any competent investigator would do: she visited the sites of all of the deaths. Her final comment after her last visit was that she had no doubt that the murderer was a demon from “the other side.” She then announced that she was going back to New York City to do some research and would return in a few days, but not before Sho-Sho Mamu was due to show up again.

That was not quite what anybody expected of her, and the people at the newspaper were not quite sure how to react. However, they had no hold on Madam Artesia, so she was free to come and go as she pleased. The reporter was especially pissed off, but she changed her attitude when Madam Artesia invited her to travel to New York City. The publisher’s wife applied some pressure and the reporter’s expenses to New York City were paid by the newspaper. That stopped her complaints and the two women disappeared.

The newspaper received daily reports of the research that Madam Artesia was doing, and that was enough to increase the newspaper’s circulation. That made the advertisers happy, so that made the publisher happy. All in all, it seemed to be a win-win situation. The reports were that Madam Artesia visited a number of libraries and museums, apparently actually doing research. In any case, the reports of her work were glowing and uniformly complimentary. Therefore, everybody stayed happy.

Unfortunately, Madam Artesia was going to miss the next visit by Sho-Sho Mamu. Dammit, the newspaper was all set to take credit for ridding the neighborhood of the Sho-Sho Mamu, and that was not going to take place when originally scheduled. Oh, well, the best laid plans, etc...

One interesting result of all of the publicity about the Sho-Sho Mamu was the traffic that it generated. The full-time residents of Blue Point, SD, who could afford the trip all left town the day before the next scheduled attack, but they promised to return the day after it. On the other hand, all of the town’s motels, hotels, and bed-and-breakfast places quickly filled up as tourists and thrill seekers poured into town drawn by the potential of seeing an actual demon. For some reason, they all seemed to figure that it would be someone else who had his head handed to him after a significant portion of his organs had been eaten.

None of the business owners affected by the influx of tourists was unhappy with the situation because they were going to make more money in a few nights than they usually made in a month. Some enterprising souls were even organizing guided tours for the night of the full moon, and there were an amazing number of tickets sold!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.