A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 29

They found an adequate flat at Huddersfield and both started work again. Terry knew that with them both being new they would have to work hard to establish themselves and gain respect. That meant that he would have to help Grace around the house a great deal more than he had while he was studying. He did not find that difficult.

Both settled into their new jobs quickly. Grace took a liking to Tony Redman immediately even though he was less energetic than Hugh but that was probably because he was that much older. She also took to Liz Braithwaite. She was younger than Anthea and clearly a go-getter. Both her Assistant Managers were pleasant and welcoming but Al Wright, the Vehicles one, was getting on a bit, she thought.

She was unimpressed with the yard and garages as she walked round with Al on her second morning. Both were scruffy and untidy. She said nothing though.

The following morning she reverted to her early start routine. One or two drivers asked her who she was and looked quite surprised when she told them. She was unimpressed with what she saw. The majority of vehicles had not been washed down the previous evening and looked scruffy. She reckoned that the drivers’ morning checks were pretty casual too. She mentioned it to Al who replied that they were mostly all old vehicles and had lost their shine and that the lads had lost their pride in them which contributed to their doing no more than the minimum to ensure they were roadworthy. Grace told him that that was not acceptable. She had not seen a vehicle that was more than three years old and she expected to see immediate change. That was not well received. Grace reflected that Hugh’s warning had been accurate.

Her next port of call was Liz Braithwaite’s office. She did not beat about the bush.

“Liz, I know this is only my third day here but I reckon Al Wright is a waste of space. It may be because my predecessor didn’t push him hard enough.”

“Why do you say that, Grace?”

“The drivers are not keeping their vehicles clean for the start of each job and the garages and the yard are a mess. More importantly I reckon the drivers are skimping their morning service.”

“How do you know that?”

“I was at the yard at six this morning. With three exceptions who had early runs the rest started to drift in from seven o’clock onwards. According to the details board many of them were due to report for loading at seven thirty. So we’re late for our customers with poorly serviced and scruffy vehicles. Al ought to have gripped that ages ago before it became endemic. The Vehicles Office is also far from adequate.”

“Hmm!”

Liz went to a filing cabinet and selected a file which she looked through.

“He had a ‘Good’ report last year.”

“From a manager who was fired.”

“So what do you want to do?”

“Replace him.”

“We’ll have to place him on a warning first to give him the chance to pull his socks up.”

“How long?”

“Six months.”

“What?”

“Union rules but,” and she grinned, “they don’t say anything about forcing his retirement as long as it can be justified.”

“Right!”

Grace could not help herself and grinned. “Know where I can buy a bullwhip?”

Liz laughed too. “Yes but if I told you I’d be an accessory which HR aren’t allowed to be.”

Grace snorted.

“I think”, Liz added rather more seriously, “you might mention it to Tony before you go in with all guns blazing.”

Grace nodded. “Good thinking.”

She did and Tony looked rather shamefaced.

“I haven’t been on walkabout for a while,” he confessed and glanced out of the window. “It’s a nice sunny day. Why don’t we do that together now?”

Grace was thrilled. They did so and Al Wright saw them. He did not attempt to join them. Tony was appalled. As soon as they got back to his office he sent for Liz and filled her in on what he had seen. The three of them discussed it briefly.

“He’ll claim that he’s never got any spare drivers to do any cleaning up,” said Liz.

“Rubbish!” interjected Grace. “From my experience at West Brom there are always one or two on a late detail and others who get back before knocking off time.”

“OK but what about shoddy driver servicing?” asked Tony. “I haven’t seen any evidence of that.”

“Don’t worry,” said Grace. “He’ll be accompanying me on my early morning walk-abouts from tomorrow morning. He wasn’t in till half past seven this morning. He’ll be in at six tomorrow.”

Tony grinned. “And handing in his notice at eight.”

“Good! The shorter the better!”

“Don’t bet on that,” interjected Liz. “He’ll take his full fortnight and claim unused leave.”

“And I’ll be breathing down his neck the full fortnight,” said Grace.

The other two chuckled.

Tony sent for him straight away. The other two waited. He arrived minutes later and Tony told him of his shortcomings. He did not have the chance to place him on warning.

“I’m off,” said Wright, “and you can send me anything I’m owed.”

He walked out.

“Hmm!” said Tony. “That didn’t take long.”

The girls laughed.

“What are you going to do until we find a replacement, Grace?” Tony asked.

“Do it myself.”

“Are you sure?”

“Quite! I can shuttle between offices and Milly can always shout if I’m needed upstairs. I hope it won’t last too long.”

“I’ll advertise right away,” said Liz.

“Thanks. If you’re allowed to say anything I’d quite like to have somebody with a service background like a retired MT sergeant.”

“OK and I’ll make sure you interview the shortlist.”

“Thanks!”

Grace went back to her office and briefed Milly whose comment was, “No prob and not before time. Whoops! Sorry, Miss Grace.”

Grace said nothing, grinned and held her lips shut between thumb and forefinger. Milly giggled.

Next she went down to the Vehicles office. Al had gone. She told Marie what was happening who merely nodded although Grace did note that her eyes brightened.

Next, she went and saw Hugh Arkwright in Workshops. She had been impressed with him from the outset. He acknowledged what she told him but she did detect his eyes light up. All he said was, “Give me a shout if things get too much.”

Over the next few weeks Grace began to realise her aims. Being around the garages from six in the morning was a major influence nor did she miss much on shoddy driver servicing. Morale amongst her drivers picked up, particularly when they discovered she had a HGV 1 licence and did a few shorter runs when things were tight. She and Marie transformed the Vehicles Office into the efficient set-up it needed to be. She also found time to visit customers and reassure them that Wilkins Distribution would provide a first class service. It was not long before it did, particularly as her wish was granted and an early forty year-old ex-MT sergeant was appointed to replace Al. He soon proved himself

She formed a friendship with Liz and Tony soon appreciated her worth saying so to Barney who relayed it to Hugh who, needless to say, was delighted for her.

Terry settled in quickly and realisation soon dawned that he was not only a very good theoretical engineer but a practical one as well. People liked him too.

In that first year at Huddersfield they found a four bed-roomed house on the edge of Bradley Mills a few miles north-east of Huddersfield itself. The mortgage was affordable. Needless to say they also joined the Huddersfield Choral Society, revelling in the size and virtuosity of the choir and its musical direction.

Inevitably during that first year, the subject of children cropped up. Both wanted them and that had been a factor in their buying something rather larger than the one bed-roomed flat they had started with. They agreed to give it at least a year before starting a family so as to, particularly in Terry’s case, settle in and prove themselves at work.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.