A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 19

At half past six Terry rang the Robinsons. Stephen answered the telephone.

“Good evening, Stephen, Terry Wilson, sorry to ring just as you’ve come in but I’m afraid I was hit by our friend Gareth this afternoon.”

“Were you just! Tell me all.”

Terry did so. “I’ve written a statement. What would you like me to do with it, give it to you or hand it in to the police station?”

“Let me have a look at it first. Could you bring it round now?”

“Yes of course. Grace will be with me as I’m not allowed to drive today because of the concussion. We’ll be with you in quarter of an hour.”

“Fine! See you then.”

They were warmly welcomed by the Robinsons.

“Now the first and most important question: are you allowed alcohol, Terry?”

Terry grinned crookedly and a bit painfully. “I doubt a single glass of wine will delay my recovery,” he replied.

“Good!” He poured two glasses of red and they all four went into the sitting room where Stephen read Terry’s statement.

“Well done,” he said handing it to Angela to read. “However, I reckon a couple of photos would add to it.”

“I’ll do them,” offered Angela.

“Thank you, my love. Now further statements will be needed in due course from the proctor and the nurse. Do you know their names?”

“Not the proctor’s but he said he would be reporting the incident and the university will undoubtedly take disciplinary action so I’ll soon find out. The nurse’s name is Tally Evans.”

“Good! Actually, because of the restraining order I need to contact the university first thing tomorrow and will find out myself. I don’t want them muddying the waters. The other thing is that although the order was effective from last Friday I doubt that his father will receive a copy until tomorrow so that they will be ignorant of its existence until then. I’ll need to get my head together with my police contact.”

There was a pause while Angela took two photographs to make sure that the damage to both sides of Terry’s face was clear.

“Are you going in tomorrow, Terry?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I’m going to see how I feel in the morning. Nurse Evans was against it.”

“So am I!” Grace interjected.

“The trouble is I’m a week behind after that wretched cold.”

“Pooh! You worked the entire week except the first two days. You’ll be nowhere near a week behind. Did you have a session with your tutor this morning?”

“Yes.”

“And did he say you needed to do any catching up?”

“No. He said I’d soon pick up on anything I’d missed in my homework.”

“Well then!”

“You win, Miss Grace.”

“Oh sorry, my love! I didn’t mean to sound bossy.”

Terry reached out and squeezed her hand.

Angela smiled knowingly and happily.

“It might not be a bad idea to give your tutor a ring tomorrow anyway and let him know the form. He’ll be able to tell you who else you ought to notify such as the senior proctor or the Dean’s Office,” added Stephen.

““Good idea,” replied Terry. “Er, if the police want to see me could you arrange for them to come to me as I shall be without a car?”

“Certainly and if that’s not possible I’ll come and get you.”

“There’s no need. I can do that,” said Grace.

“Yes there is, Grace dear. As my client I should be present at any questioning or statement giving.”

“Oh! Of course! Sorry!”

Shortly afterwards Terry and Grace left. As soon as they got home Grace started to prepare dinner. It was almost eight o’clock. Terry sat at the kitchen table as she did so.

“Rush job tonight, my love,” said Grace. “Ready meal plus some beans and broccoli. All things being equal I’ll be a bit more original tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry, my precious one. Perfectly good and I really don’t feel up to dealing with a feast.”

Grace went to him and kissed him gently.

“Early bed for you tonight, my one. Would you like to sleep alone tonight?”

“No fear! The trouble is I’ll have to lie on my back and may therefore snore.”

“If it gets to be too much for me I’ll move to the spare room.”

He smiled at her. “My special love!” he said softly.

“I’ll cook you breakfast tomorrow morning. I only go in at sparrow’s on Monday, Wednesday and Friday now so I’m up at a civilised time four days a week.”

“Sensible girl.”

The following morning was different for a number of other people as well. The senior proctor needed to interview Messrs Owen and Wilson. While they were being found he alerted the Dean’s Office. Then Mr Agnew, Mr Wilson’s tutor rang in to say that Mr Wilson was still suffering from the effects of concussion but would ring him later. The Dean’s Office rang back to say that the Dean wished to see both young men at eleven o’clock. Immediately after that a Mr Robinson rang to say that he was Mr Wilson’s solicitor and, having told him about the restraining order, asked that the university should do nothing to interfere with the police follow-up. He also asked the name of the proctor who had witnessed the encounter, Arnold Parker. That meant a further call to the Dean’s Office who rang back to say that the Dean still wished to see Mr Davies. Mr Davies then appeared and was told about his appointment with the Dean. Then Mr Wilson rang and confirmed what Mr Robinson had told him. He warned him that the Dean would wish to see him when he returned. Mr Wilson appeared to have expected that. No doubt Mr Agnew had warned him that that was likely.

At eleven o’clock he, Arnold Parker and Mr Davies were assembled in the Dean’s outer office. They were called in and sat at a conference table. The Dean sat at the head with Mr Davies on his right and the two proctors on his left.

“Mr Davies,” he said, “normally at such an investigation Mr Wilson would also be present but he is still suffering from the effects of concussion and on medical advice is staying at home to day.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I understand that yesterday you punched Mr Wilson to the ground which caused the concussion and also a lacerated face. I have not required the nurse who attended him to be here unless you wish her to be.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.