A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

Grace was in a state of subdued excitement all day but she still managed to do her work. Anthea collected her at five and they both drove back to Anthea’s in separate cars. They had a mug of tea apiece. Grace could not keep still.

Anthea smiled at her. “Relax, Grace dear, or you’ll be exhausted by the time Terry gets here,” she said softly.

Grace blushed and looked down then, looking up shyly, she asked, “How did you know Terry and I were an item?”

Anthea tapped the side of her nose. “I’m not HR Manager for nothing you know and you’re not the only one who wanders round your kingdom and chats.”

“But we didn’t become an item until after Terry had left.”

“No but you both went up to the Peak District a couple of times.”

“How do you know that?”

“Greg told me.”

“But how did he know?”

“Terry told him.”

“What?”

“Greg had teased him about getting keen on you while you were doing your HGV training and it came out.”

“Oh!” Grace blushed again. “We were being so careful because we didn’t want anyone to make a fuss. You know, a manager and one of the drivers.” She paused. “Um, do you think Hugh knows?”

Anthea shrugged. “I don’t know but I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“Oh crumbs!”

“Has he said anything or hinted at anything?”

Grace shook her head.

“Well, don’t fuss about it. If he disapproved he would have said something.”

“Really?”

“Yes, sweety.”

“Thank God! I’d have hated to put up a black because I’m really enjoying this job.”

“And doing it jolly well. Hugh certainly thinks so.”

Grace looked down again.

“He’ll be having you in soon to give you your annual appraisal. You see if I’m not right.”

Grace bit her lip and then smiled brilliantly. “Thanks, Anthea. That’s a comfort. And,” she went on, “thrilling!”

Stephen came in at that moment and Anthea rose to greet him with a hug and a kiss. He returned them and then smiled warmly at Grace.

“A happy young lady again,” he said.

Grace nodded vehemently.

“Ah, young love! However, to bring you down to earth again, have you roughed out a statement for me?”

Grace nodded again. “I’ll go and get it,” she said and ran to do so.

Stephen, while she was doing so poured drinks, and, when she came back, he read it through. “Yes,” he said. “That’s good factually but I think you need to make more of your emotions. What upset you so much about the term ‘lover boy’?”

Grace’s face went grim. “Why call him lover boy when he knew his name was Terry?”

“Go on.”

“Why not boyfriend? He was implying we were lovers which we are not even though we do love each other. That much I could have taken but then he showed no sympathy and suggested we go and have a pizza. He’d got his eye on what he thought was the main chance. A nasty, selfish, young man who, because of his father’s wealth thought I would succumb to his charms. Like hell!”

“Woof!” chuckled Stephen. “You don’t mince your words.”

Grace looked down. “Sorry, that was OTT.”

“A bit but you said what your reaction was to his crudeness.”

She nodded.

“And meant every word of it.”

She nodded again.

“Which meant that when he followed you you were afraid for your safety.”

Again she nodded.

“So, by explaining your reaction to him do you think you could expand on your worry and fear?”

“Yes.”

“Good for you. Give it a go. You don’t have to rewrite the whole thing just insert the extras and then we’ll have another look at it.”

“OK. Thanks, Stephen.”

She did not have time to become emotional. The doorbell rang.

“Lover boy!” said Stephen with a big grin. “You let him in.”

Grace could not, despite a wide smile, resist sticking the tip of her tongue out at him. She ran to the front door. Anthea closed the kitchen door behind her and then sitting on Stephen’s knee kissed him.

“You are magic,” she whispered. “You’ve given a worried and frightened girl confidence. I love you so much.”

“Snap!” Stephen kissed her gently and lovingly.

“Ass!” Her arms tightened round him.

Grace flung open the door ready to fall into Terry’s arms. It was not possible. He had a large bunch of flowers in each hand plus a bottle of wine in his left. He held his arms wide though and Grace moved gently to take him in her arms and to kiss him. It was a gentle kiss but very warm and loving.

“My Terry,” she whispered, her cheek against his. “Oh, Terry my love!”

Her arms tightened round him and his went slightly tentatively round her. He did not want to drop anything.

“And you’re my love,” he replied gently. “Oh, Grace, I’ve missed you so much. Less than a week but it’s seemed so much longer.”

“Yes, my Terry. S-same here. I ... I...”

She kissed him again, at length, and then reluctantly released him.

He held out the flowers in his right hand. “These are for you, my precious Grace.”

She took them without a glance or a sniff at them. Her eyes were fixed on his.

“Thank you, my Terry. Thank you, thank you!”

Her lips found his again, warm lips, soft lips. “I love you.”

She reluctantly stood back to let him in and closed the door behind him. She led him into the kitchen.

Terry was greeted warmly by both Robinses and gave them both their presents.

“Such generosity merits a reward,” said Stephen.

“Pompous idiot!” interjected Anthea with a wide smile.

Stephen stuck the tip of his tongue out at her. Grace got the giggles.

“Take no notice of these women, Terry,” said Stephen airily. “Wine or a drop of the hard stuff?”

“Red wine would go down a treat, sir,” replied Terry.

“Drop the ‘sirs’, replied Stephen as he poured the drink. “Stephen and Anthea.”

“Are you fully recovered, Terry?” asked Anthea.

“Yes thank you and thankfully.”

“I bet.”

“So, let’s get business out of the way,” went on Stephen. “You pop off and revise yours, Grace, and may I see your statement, Terry?”

Terry handed it over and Stephen read it. “That’s good,” he said. “No need to change a word. It reinforces everything Grace has said.”

He handed Terry a statement form. “Would you copy it onto this? Use the kitchen table.”

Terry got busy and minutes later Grace returned with her revised version. Stephen read it and handed her a form.

“Just the job,” he said, “so sit yourself down and copy it onto this.”

Grace did so while their two hosts talked quietly in the background.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.