A Fall to Grace - Cover

A Fall to Grace

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

Grace saw Terry briefly at choir practice on Tuesday but neither lingered. He did say that he had not got organised as quickly as he had thought but would give her a ring over the weekend. He did that on Friday evening.

“I think I’m just about organised,” he announced.

“Well done, Terry!” Grace enthused. “Tell me.”

“First of all, I had a long chat with my tutor chiefly about trying to do the thing in two years rather than three. His advice was to see how my first term goes and review it all then. He warned me that the second year was harder work than the first but that the final year eases off again a bit. On the other hand if I felt I could cram a bit more into the first year’s second two terms that would ease the burden in the second year. Whether I could start Year Three work in Year Two would be the big test. If I overdo that in Year Two and fail Part Two I shall be sunk. The other thing two lots of exams one after the other may be too much to handle.”

“That sounds pretty tough going and a bit risky.”

“Yes but he said he would keep an eye on me and advise me. He also cheered me up by saying that ten to twelve percent of students manage the full course in two years.”

“Ah, that’s a bit more encouraging. So what’s the present workload like?”

“It hasn’t really started yet but I’ve scheduled myself to three hours every weekday evening except of course Tuesdays but that’s still two hours and then a flexible eight hours each weekend. In addition I can get ahead a bit by studying in the vacations.”

“Don’t make a big deal of that, Terry. You need to relax and gather your strength again during the vacations. That’s what they’re there for.”

“Yes, Grace. Thank you. Mum said much the same. I’ll make sure I do and hope that you will help me do so.”

“You bet!”

“Now, the next thing! Mum has ordered me to bring you for supper on Tuesday. I imagine you’re free.”

“You bet and thanks. I will also understand if you go sloping off to study as soon as supper’s over.”

“Thanks, Grace. I knew you would. You’re special.”

“Thank you.” It was little more than a whisper. “By the way, I’ve done as you told me and arranged to visit my parents from Wednesday 4th October until Monday 10th. Can’t miss choir practice.”

“Well done, Grace! Weren’t they pleased?”

“Very! I could almost see Mum bouncing up and down with excitement.”

Terry laughed. “Great! Any chance of seeing you this weekend?”

“You bet. Had you anything in mind?”

“Well, I thought we might stay closer to home this time and go to Sandwell Valley Park tomorrow. The weather looks good and there’s plenty of walking and the RSPB have a place there as well. There’s also a restaurant so you won’t need to do a picnic.”

“No! That’s an unnecessary expense particularly if we go to Ricardo’s in the evening where I’ve already booked us in for a Mama Speciale including giving the requisite two days’ notice.”

“Hmm, getting a bit ahead of yourself, Miss Grace.”

“Thowwy, thir.”

Terry laughed. “Bless you, Grace! That’s a super idea. I’ll pick you up at eleven tomorrow. No-oh! Don’t get all bossy about petrol. It’s no distance and I know where to park without paying their exorbitant fees.”

“A very Shylock indeed.”

“Right!”

They both chuckled.

OK, see you at eleven tomorrow morning. Night-night, Grace. Sleep well.”

“And you, Terry. ‘Bye!”

Both were smiling happily. Grace added a little jig.

The trip to Sandwell Valley Park was another success. They walked for an hour and a half nattering happily about nothing important but were both happily surprised when Grace slipped her hand into Terry’s. She had not even thought about it. She just did it. Terry took it, gave it a gentle squeeze and her an equally gentle smile. They walked on without a pause in conversation.

They had their picnic, again simple but different: soup of course but then cold chipolata sausages followed by Brie cheese and tomato sandwiches washed down with lager. Terry thanked her with a gentle kiss.

In the afternoon they visited the RSPB and were led round by a delightful young woman called Annette. They arrived back at Grace’s for tea.

For the first time they sat together on the sofa. Terry tried nothing on but found as time went on that Grace was edging closer and closer. She was shy about it though and it was very gradual, almost unwitting. Finally his arm went tentatively round her shoulders. She hummed softly and smiled up at him. He kissed her lips very gently. Her smile widened.

“Oh, Grace,” he murmured and tightened his arm slightly. “You are a very special and beautiful girl but I don’t want to take advantage of you.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re still on the rebound.”

“No, Terry. Mike is over, completely and utterly. I realise now that despite all the charm it was lust. No love. Just a pretence to get me into bed.”

“But all the affectionate emails?”

“Bullshit!”

“Grace!”

She giggled. “Sorry. Very unladylike of me but it was no more than to keep me on a string. I was too naive to see through it.”

“Well as far as I’m concerned I will never string you along. You’re much too special a person to do that to.”

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“I know too that you would never do it to me either. You’re too honest. I know, slightly worriedly, that if I didn’t match up to your expectations or over-stepped the mark you’d give me the boot.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.