A Fall to Grace
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2017 by Kaffir

The next three days passed quickly and happily for Grace particularly as she had a run down to Bristol starting from one of her formerly lackadaisical firms. Not any more: there were three forklifts waiting to load her truck. She thanked the warehouse manager who grinned back. She enjoyed the drives there and back and was pleased with her reception at Bristol.

On Friday immediately after work she did her shopping for the great expedition and was back home in plenty of time for Terry’s call. He was in favour of going on Saturday.

“The weather’s reasonable both days but Sunday looks like being windier which might bring in rain rather earlier than the forecasters expect.”

“Yessir!”

Terry chuckled. “That won’t rush your culinary plans, I hope.”

“No. I can get cracking this evening despite a tiring day at the coalface.”

“I can imagine: lolling about in the vehicle office chatting to Greg.”

“How did you guess? What time do you want to leave?

“Well, I reckon it’ll take us the best part of an hour and a half to get to the start of the walk and then another hour and a half to do it. If you want lunch about one no later than ten.”

“Why not make it half past nine and then we can have a mug of coffee before we start the walk?”

“Good thinking! I’ll pick you up then.”

“No, Terry. My petrol.”

“You’ll be exhausted by the time we get back.”

“No. I’ve got comprehensive insurance for any driver so you can drive one or both legs.”

“Yes, Miss Grace! Bless you despite your bossiness. Now, you’re invited to supper. Mum insisted on it.”

“Thanks, Terry. I’d love to come.”

“And bring your score.”

“Oh! I’m going to have to sing for my supper, am I?”

“We both are and probably after it with Mum at the piano. Dad’ll probably join us singing bass. He used to sing quite a lot but has really given it up with Mum’s strange shift-work.”

“That’s bad luck.”

“Not really. He enjoys his cooking and sees more of his family.”

“So Min will be the odd one out.”

“No, probably just out.”

Grace chuckled. “Oh to be young again!”

There was a snort. “Yes, you poor old thing.”

“You’re only three years younger than me, you cheeky man.”

“But young at heart which is why fairy tales like you happen to me.”

That silenced Grace for a moment because she was immediately aware that he meant it.

“Thank you, Terry,” she murmured at last. “I, um, probably better go and get cracking in the kitchen.”

“OK, Grace. Sleep tight. See you in the morning. ‘Bye!”

The phone clicked off before she could reply. She smiled happily. “He probably embarrassed himself but he does say some sweet things ... and I know he’s not just being flirtatious.”

She rang the bell on the dot of nine-thirty the following morning and was greeted by a smiling Terry.

“A true military lass! Punctual to the minute!”

“No, Terry. A true military lass would have been five minutes early.”

“Which was when your car pulled into the drive.”

“So why didn’t you come out to meet me?”

“That might have been considered as forward of me.”

Grace could not contain herself. She beamed and then kissed him, firmly.

His smile was incandescent. He took her by the hand and led her into the kitchen where once again the whole family was present, Min in her dressing gown. They all greeted her with big smiles.

“Looks as though you’ve picked a good day for this hike,” Roddy observed.

“He’s the man from the met office,” Grace replied smilingly nodding at Terry.

“But I had to do all the computer work,” said Min mournfully. “All he could find was a forecast for The Shetlands. Numbskull!”

Terry pretended not to have heard.

“Deaf too, poor old thing!” she went on.

There was a growl from where Terry was pouring coffee.

“Tsk! Tsk! Nasty temper too,” she added.

Grace exploded with laughter and the parents smiled.

“Shsh!” commanded Terry as he handed Grace her coffee. “She’ll get a swollen head, the cheeky little wench.”

Min bit her lip, lowered her head and fluttered her eyelashes at him. “Sowwy, big bwuvver!”

“I should jolly well think so too!”

Terry wrapped her in a hug, both of them smiling happily.

Grace had recovered by this stage even though she was still smiling and she was impressed by their love for each other, something that as an only child she had never experienced.

They drank their coffee and left. Terry drove. It was silent for a while but once they were on the motorway Grace opened the conversation.

“You know, I’m a bit envious of you Terry: the love that you and Min have for each other.”

“Why? Don’t you get on with your brother or sister?”

“I haven’t got one. Mum lost my brother in childbirth.”

“Oh, Grace, that’s miserable. Didn’t your parents try again?”

Grace shook her head. “No. The damage was such that she could never conceive again.”

“Your poor parents! That must have been miserable for them.”

“They don’t really talk about it and Mum says they’re very happy with just me.”

“Mm ... and now you’re living miles away from them. When did you last see them?”

“Christmas ... but I ring them every Friday evening.”

“Still not much cop for any of you.”

“No!” It was a whisper that he only just heard.

“How long does it take to drive down to them?”

“I don’t know. Two to three hours depending on traffic and weather. Last Christmas was a nightmare in each direction.”

“When do you next plan to take a holiday?”

“I haven’t thought.”

“I don’t want to sound bossy but don’t you think you ought to take week off and go and see them before Christmas?”

Grace bowed her head. She had been selfish and uncaring as she developed her new job and then became caught up in it.

“Yes, Terry. You’re quite right. I don’t think I’ve behaved very cleverly. They must be wondering whether I love them but I do ... really, really.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.