Opal Hollow
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by Kris Me

Bambie was a worrier.

Bambie feared lots of things but most of all, she feared Halloween.

Every year, since she was six-years-old, so the last twenty years, in fact, she hid on All Hallows Eve. This year she had decided to go and hide in Australia. She even had come up with an excellent reason for why she should go to the middle of the smallest continent on Earth to hide. She also thought that it was cool that many people thought that it was the largest Island.

Bambie had a secret fascination with Australia. She had watched Crocodile Dundee after seeing the commercials and thought Paul Hogan was just the cutest guy ever, at the time of the movie’s production. She even stopped being scared of alligators after she saw a real crocodile. Well, it was stuffed but it was really, really huge.

When she learnt that Paul Hogan used to paint the Sydney Harbour Bridge, she could understand why he was so fearless, unlike her. However, she didn’t lose her fear of heights, even though she thought his previous job was romantic. Bambie owned an extensive collection of movies that were made in or based on Australia. She particularly liked the way they portrayed romance. It was just so, so un-American.

That was one of Bambie’s problems, too. She was an incurable romantic. Some people would stereotype her as the big busted, blonde bimbo. She stood at 5’ 1” (155cm) high. Her skin was freckle free, and creamy shade of mocha, which became just a little darker when she tanned.

She had large sapphire blue eyes that portrayed her innocence, although, some thought it was proof of her gullibility. Once men got their eyes above her tits, they found a gorgeous face with plush kissable lips and a cute little, slightly upturned nose.

The ends of her straight, naturally pale, honey-blonde hair caressed the top of her pert derrière. The well-toned legs tucked up under those sweet cheeks that also drew many an eye. More than one man had been smacked by his significant other for staring at her arse and legs when she walked away from them.

Most men found that technical details or any conversation about guns, cars or football would make her eyes glaze over. She understood sexually-orientated jokes a week after everyone else did. She was, however, well-practised at laughing when others did even if she never got the joke.

Two beers and she got the giggles and then became accident-prone. This occurrence had ended several of her dates. She also had a delightful habit of stating the truth as she saw it while under the influence. Trying to get into Bambie’s panties by giving her alcohol was a recipe for disaster. Bruising of extremities and egos were often the result.

It wasn’t that she had planned to save herself for marriage; it was just that she couldn’t find a guy who wanted to romance her how she wished to be romanced. So far, every guy she went on a date with had something wrong with him or went about romancing her the wrong way.

Plenty of them wanted to feel her boobs and screw her, but there was a bit more to Bambie than many people realised.


Because Bambie was a worrier, it also made her bloody good at her job.

Three weeks before the start of this story, she had agreed to become Professor Mark Driscoll’s research assistant. She had been Professor Graeme Walters’ assistant for four years, but he had to retire due to an unfortunate accident. You would have to ask his wife how he received the injuries that forced his retirement.

Bambie had liked Graeme a lot, as he had been easy to work for, even if he was absent-minded. He seemed to spend a lot of time lost in his research or going to lunch with his friend Malcolm. It was probably just as well she wasn’t aware of his sexual orientation and love of gay porn as the reason he didn’t lust after her.

After his retirement, four different professors had asked for her to become their assistant, but she didn’t know this at the time. Mark, as the son of one of the directors, got the first choice. Bambie had been a bit reticent at becoming Mark’s new assistant as she had heard things about him. She had good reason to be.

Mark had only asked for her because she was one of the few decent looking unmarried females in the Geological Research Facility that he hadn’t screwed. He was 5’ 11” (180cm) tall, good-looking enough that he did get the girls and light brown was his colour as far as skin, hair and eyes went.

While he did spend a little bit of time trying to keep in shape, he probably wasn’t as fit as he would like or believed himself to be. He had let himself go a little in recent years. He did still look good in a suit, as it can hide a lot. At thirty-five, he hadn’t settled down yet and he was in no hurry too as he wasn’t the faithful type and knew it.

He had seen Bambie around but had found it hard to get anywhere near her. Graeme had worked some odd hours since he was pure research and didn’t teach, as far as Mark knew. Plus, his offices had been on the other side of the building.

Graeme’s speciality had been the history and geology of opals. While Mark was also a geologist, he didn’t have a particular interest in opals.

While he got Bambie as his assistant, things didn’t turn out quite as Mark hoped.


It turned out that Mark’s father had a twisted sense of humour.

You see, Graeme had been doing some wrangling and had managed to secure a research grant from a mining company, before his accident. Towards the end of October, he and Bambie were supposed to go to a mine near Opalton for four weeks.

Opalton was a mining area located one hundred- and twenty-kilometres south-west of the town of Winton, Queensland, Australia. It is considered off the beaten track even by Aussies. A mining interest had recently found some fascinating boulder opals and fossils that the two wished to investigate.

An affiliated American mining company, Arisin Minerals, wished to exploit the new mine despite its remoteness. Opals had become good business, but it would require a significant find for the currently small operation to be expanded. Arisin decided this mine was worth a look.

Bambie had finished her Geology Degree and was finalising her Masters. The trip would set her up for her Doctorate. Graeme had been grooming her to eventually take over his job.

Andy Driscoll had signed off on the project since it wasn’t coming out of his budget and could be worth a lot of money to the facility. So as far as he was concerned, the trip was a go. Thus, Mark had to go as Graeme’s replacement.

Mark wasn’t that happy to be going to the middle of bloody nowhere, but he wasn’t currently in his father’s good graces due to a recent indiscretion. He shouldn’t have slept with his step-mother, even though it did give his father an excuse to get rid of her on the cheap, thanks to the prenuptial agreement.

For Mark, his compensation was that he got to go with Bambie. He even had to move to Graeme’s old office, rather than her to his. So far, he hadn’t gotten anywhere with Bambie as she was in full preparation mode for the trip.

Mark had invited her to go for drinks with him to discuss the plans after they were introduced. Bambie had informed him that she didn’t frequent bars and that she had far too much to do since she now had to sort out his visas and so forth and he had reading to do. The itinerary was already decided upon by their hosts.

Mark found himself sitting at his new desk with a pile of books, folders and forms in front of him. The forms were each in an appropriate folder with little sticky notes all over them telling him where to sign. Other folders had lists of their itinerary, hotel reservations and flight’s, people they were supposed to meet with, vehicle hire, equipment and etcetera.

Another pile had geological surveys, three books covering histories of mining in the area, four books about opal geology in the region and a big sticky note saying, ‘Please read’ on top. A third pile had Graeme and Bambie’s research that covered the synopsis of why they were going and what they were looking for, it also had a ‘Please read’ note.

It had taken Mark a week to shift offices, mostly because there was no bloody space in Graeme’s old office for his stuff. Bambie did find him some room but suggested it would be better to put most of his stuff in storage since they would be away for close to six weeks anyway. They could sort it out when they got back.

Reluctantly, Mark had agreed.


One of the first things he learnt about Bambie was that she was all business in the office.

She did not chat idly with him; she did not deliberately flash her boobs at him, and she did not flirt with him. She did have his coffee on his desk within moments of his arrival. She did rattle off what she expected him to get through that day and she constantly checked that he had done as requested.

Mark soon found himself being totally organised and wishing that Bambie did not have his mobile phone number. Bambie didn’t leave things to chance if she had any say in it. By the end of their second week working together, Mark was starting to understand why crazy Graeme had lasted as long as he did.

He had also learnt not to touch Bambie anywhere, not even her hands if she was handing him something. The piercing blue eyes were more than capable of staring him down, as was the ‘disappointed in him’ frown she had perfected.

When he accepted the meeting with the Arisin Mine officials, he was told in no uncertain terms that Bambie was included. For Mark, the meeting was an unmitigated disaster. He did not impress the three men at the meeting.

After the first two questions directed at him, they simply asked Bambie. She walked them through what they knew, such as possible yields, quality of gems extracted so far, ease of access and a dozen other details that Mark had no idea about.

When they left the meeting, Mark could feel the cold fury coming from Bambie. “Well, that went just great,” he said trying to break the tension.

Bambie shot him a glare and stomped off back to her office in her sensible shoes. Once they were inside the room, she turned on him, “I realise this project is not of your choosing, but Graeme and I have spent over a year on the details. It is essential to my career if not to yours.”

“If you can’t be bothered to read the material that I supply you with then just keep your mouth shut. I had hoped to be assigned a Professor that gave a shit, but apparently, you are just along for the ride. Either get with the project or get out of my way. I’m perfectly capable of doing this without you.”

She then stomped off to the ladies’ room leaving a flabbergasted Mark behind. Mark had learnt one thing from the meeting; this was a bigger deal than he had realised. The second thing he had discovered was that if he wished to get into Bambie’s panties, he had better get with the program.

He had never found a woman so oblivious to his charms. Everything he said that had nothing to do with the project, was rejected out of hand by Bambie. If he didn’t know better, he would think that she despised him. He seriously wondered if she was gay.

Mark found Bambie was a contradiction. She acted like a dumb blonde who couldn’t take a hint when he tried to chat-her-up, but he was learning that looks, in her case, were deceiving.

She sure didn’t act dumb when it came to business or the project. He had seen respect in the eyes of the three men at the meeting. He had seen lust too, but that was put aside once the seriousness of the conference took hold.

Mark suspected the dress suit that Bambie had worn was supposed to play down her assets, but it had done the opposite. He was sure all three men would have happily dined on Bambie if the opportunity arrived. He knew bloody well that he wanted to.

Mark decided that he had some reading to do.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.