The Dolphin - Cover

The Dolphin

Copyright© 2017 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 15

There is much I must learn about humans.

There is great shadow in human speech. Their talk is much of things that are not in the now. Some of these things already go by and some are in the brightness ahead that may come. Others do not come and may not come ever. And some of the things they speak are things that will never come, things that cannot be seen or felt at all but are only shadows of the mind. Like this math-e-mat-ics, this thing of numbers, of which Maggie seems to care so much.

Only sometimes do they speak of the now.

It is strange to find creatures that do not live in the now, but I think that these humans may not wish to live in the now so much do they talk of shadow. At the least their thinking of the now is not the same as ours.

Is it this that makes Acou so strong to leave the place where he is that he would leap onto the land to do so?

Maggie says the mathematics is in how a calf is made. Then she says something I do not understand, but I think she knows that I do not understand because in a short time she ceases to speak. I see her make a movement with her head which I learn means she does not know how to say a thing so that I may understand, and she begins to speak of other things.

Is this why the human speech is so strange to me, that we think different? Maggie does not say our speech well. I think that some of this is because she cannot make the sounds well, but that is not all. I also think that some is because her mind does not go in the same way as our speech.

My mind does not go in the way of their speech, either. I can do their speech a little, but it is only small, there are many things I cannot say in their speech. For some of the things I think they have no speech. They do not sense as we do what is around, they see only with eyes and not in any other way.

Maggie asks do we have no interest in the things of living. I think it, but I do not say, that we have more interest than I see in humans. What does a human know of the different sounds of the sea? Of the smell of another, that may be unfamiliar and yet so close, as Acou’s smell was to me? Of the sense of food near, of an evil mouth passing by and to know if the evil mouth has hunger? Can a human escape a great weed?

We live in very different ways, the humans on the land and we in the great sea. They live to this side and to that, we live in all around us. They live in shadow and we in the now.

Is this why others do not speak the human speech, only I who am myself so much with shadow?

I think again that I wish that Kitik is with me and I may speak these things to him.

Jason is not here much of the time. He tells me that in the time he is not here he goes often to see Kitik and that Kitik is growing well again, but he says it must take time so that the hurt does not come to Kitik again.

But many times the light above comes, and many times it goes again, and yet Kitik does not come back. Maggie and Jason do not know or will not say when he will come.

I think of Kitik often. I must ask again when he comes back.


This time Maggie had to leave a voice-mail and wait for Jerry to return her call. But to her gratification he did so within only a couple of hours.

“Jerry, I’m calling about Kitik,” she said after the obligatory greetings and how-are-you’s.

“Who?” he said.

“Kitik. Our dolphin.”

“I thought he was Toby.”

“Yes, he was, but we’ve sort of re-thought his name. It’s Kitik now. Anyhow, well, when can we have him back?”

“Weird name,” he told her. “Sounds like one of them clicking almost. That why the change?”

“Yes, in a way. But how about it, isn’t he ready by now?”

He sighed. “Yes, he is. But I sure hate to part with him. We’re down to only seven right now, another one died just the other day, and I sure could use him. I know we’d pay your boss well, more than he spent, and you do have another one, don’t you?”

“Kitik’s not for sale,” she said firmly. “Not to anybody, but especially Flagler. Jerry, don’t you kind of wonder why so many of yours die so quick?”

“Don’t start that one again,” he responded with aspersion. “We did enough of it when you were here, didn’t we? And about the not-for-sale, don’t you kind of owe us? I mean—”

“Not. For. Sale,” she repeated. “If you need to send a bill do it, I’ll make sure it’s paid even if I have to pay it myself.” She winced as she said it; her budget would scarcely extend to that. But Kitik wasn’t trade goods.

He laughed. “Tough as ever, aren’t you? No bill, Maggie, it was pro bono.”

“Thanks, Jerry,” she said sincerely. “But that brings me back to my question, which was when—”

“Tomorrow, OK? Morning, maybe about eleven-thirty or so. Have your boy get here around ten to help us load him and ride with him, what’s-his-name, Kickit, is likely to get pretty antsy if it’s only my guys, he’s kind of latched onto your kid.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.