The Dolphin
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2017 by Colin Barrett

Kitik will be well! The Jason says this, and it is with Kitik in hos-pit-tall. I make great joy for him.

And I make joy, too, for the talk. It is good that I may speak with these humans. I do not understand why it is that they give us food and care for us, and it is not good to take food without understanding. If I do not understand then I cannot know if the food may stop at some time, and we cannot hunt in this place; if the food stops then we will go to the land. So I must try to know more.

I learn much in this ... day is the word they say for the time between the beginnings of light. This is one thing I learn. I also learn the names for the humans’ stick-out parts, and other things.

And I learn that the humans, at least the Maggie, can make fun. The Maggie keeps asking me do I understand what it has spoken, and finally I tell it that it does not need always to ask, I will say if I do not understand. Then I tease it; when I speak a thing to it I finish by asking does it understand, and it says to me the same that I say. I see Kitik play with these humans by making water splash at them, so I do that small to laugh and make play.

But I think I must know much more of these humans. The Jason and the Maggie give food and they touch us well, and I see those two and others care for Kitik when he is hurt. Yet I think it is a human who makes the hurt to Kitik, and I do not understand why a human would hurt Kitik when Kitik does not hurt any human.

Acou has pain in his shadow that makes him strike at another long ago, and even to try to strike at me when we first meet. Perhaps this human has pain in its own shadow that makes it hurt Kitik.

There is in me a darker thought, though. I remember from the boats that many humans cast food into the water, but I also remember that some cast things that were not food in a way to make me think the things were food. And Acou’s tale of humans holding food away from him and making hurt in him is in my mind. And it is the humans who take Kitik with loud things in the ­water and the weed to draw him where he does not wish to go.

Which of these, then, is the true way of humans? Do many do good and only a few, in shadow-pain, do ill? Or is it the other way, that most are ill and only a few good?

I must know this and much else so that I may know what Kitik and I will do. I will learn more of the humans’ speech, I think the Maggie and the Jason will help me to learn and will speak to me and perhaps there will be others. It will be a way to understand them better, and to learn whether to trust them or fear them.


The next few days went by in a blur for Maggie.

She swore Jason to secrecy about Minacou’s speech (both of them were quickly coming to think of the dolphins by their real names now, instead of Emily and Toby).

“Look, we need to do this really rigorous. In marine biology this is going to be a sensation, and I expect it’s going to make even the popular news. But we can’t go off at half cock. Think about Piltdown Man and the Loch Ness monster and the Abominable Snowman and all,” she added, mentioning some famous scientific hoaxes and fiascos. “I want to be able to prove this to the worst skeptic, I mean the worst, and there’ll be a lot of them, before we start talking.”

He agreed reluctantly, but balked at keeping the news from Morris. “Maggie, he’s your backer, right? I mean, he’s putting up the bucks, even if it’s not a lot. And he’s putting up the dolphin, dolphins now, which is a lot. Really, you gotta tell him he’s backing a winner.”

“Jason, I need to make sure about my grant first,” she protested. “If this gets out prematurely—”

“Maggie, that’s not even paranoia,” he chided. “It’s just plain old ordinary noia. And you’re getting ‘noying with it. Come on, give it up.”

She laughed and conceded, albeit still somewhat reluctantly. But she needn’t have worried; when they brought Morris out for a demonstration he simply shrugged it off. “Neat, talking fishies,” he said dismissively. “But what’s new? You had them talking before, this is just a little more, huh?”

“Morris... ,” Jason began, looking helplessly at Maggie.

“Never mind, Jason,” she interrupted hastily. She’d given in to telling Morris, but driving the point home was more than she could take. “It’s a lot more, Morris, but you’re right, they were talking before. Now it’s more.”

“Good about the more,” the innkeeper said. “But when are we getting back to showing off the more? Can’t we do some shows with just this one?”

“Uh, Jason and I think we need to wait until Kitik’s back,” Maggie said. In fact it wasn’t their decision; Minacou, who was displaying the same feisty attitude with which she’d scolded Maggie about their choice of names, had flatly refused to perform until Kitik returned.

Early on in their talks Minacou had asked why others came only a certain times. Maggie explained about the concept of shows, which the dolphin seemed to understand generally, and then went on to how the shows generated revenue, which she didn’t understand at all. Maggie tried to explain about money, but the concept was completely alien to the animal until she equated it with food.

“Give food see Kitik, me?” Minacou asked. In fact Morris didn’t charge for the shows, figuring the exposure was worth far more for both the motel and the restaurant, but it was close enough; Maggie confirmed. “Why? I not give food see human play.”

For a moment Maggie had a ludicrous mental picture of men and women cavorting on the apron while an audience of dolphins filed through turnstiles to watch them, and giggled. But then she thought of circuses, athletic competitions, theatrical and musical performances and the like. “Humans will give food to see special things, things they can’t do themselves. I think maybe even a dolphin”—one of the earliest lessons had been what Minacou’s species was named— “might give food for that.”

“No,” the dolphin replied. “Other dolphin see me jump sometimes, I go high. But not give food. All share food.”

Maggie didn’t pursue the point, but when the issue of resuming the shows came up Minacou had balked. “Not right,” she’d told them. “Human hurt Kitik. No play for human until Kitik here.” It was a stance from which she’d refused to budge.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.