Reunited - Cover

Reunited

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 2

Pacing up and down my room, shaking from anger. In my mind, the same thoughts running through my head. “Is it true? Do I have a sister? How do I know they are not lying? What if it’s some scam? What if it’s true?” I was confused. A part of me was angry, how could someone do something like that, run away with their child. Another part of me was happy that I had a sister. That is if this was all true. With all these thoughts spinning in my head, I decided to have a little lie down before my drive back to Birmingham. Lying there I felt my eyes get heavy, closing my eyes I drifted off to sleep.

Knock, Knock, Knock.

Waking up all groggy, it took me a few moments to realise where I was.

Knock, Knock, Knock.

“Ok, ok, I’m coming, give me a minute.” Looking out the window, it was dark outside. I must have fallen asleep. Checking my watch, it was seven in the evening. I slowly made my way to the door. Swinging it open, the bright light in the corridor made my eyes squint. Once my sight cleared from the light, in front of me was the secretary. Standing behind her was the driver, his arm in a shoulder sling.

“Hey, have you come to tell me more lies?” I angrily yelled at her. My anger started to build up again, making my hands shake.

“Look I know the news took you by surprise.” she replied in a calm voice.

“You took me by surprise alright!” Banging my hand on the door, making her jump.

“Is everything ok Mrs Jenkins?” The Driver worriedly said.

“Yes, Randolph, everything is fine. Can you wait for me in the car?”

“Ok, Mrs Jenkins,” Turning around, he limped down the corridor.

“Now I meet my father’s wife. From no family. Now I have a sister and a stepmom. What’s next, any stepbrothers or stepsisters? I shouted at her. Taking a deep breath, I started to close the door.

“Wait, Jason. I am not expecting you to call me mum. But that young lady is your sister. You said it yourself when you thought it was your mum on the photo. Don’t you see the resemblance?” In her hand was the picture from the solicitors. She turned the photo over, for me to read, ‘Your sister Jennifer’, written in the same handwriting as the letter my father left me. “If you’re not satisfied, you can both have a DNA test tomorrow.” Pushing the picture in my hand, she turned around and walked away.

Putting my things back in my overnight bag, I started to make my way to the reception so I could check-out. The manager tried to talk me into staying until morning. I told him I had to be back at work early tomorrow. Something which wasn’t true.

Since finishing my service in the army six months ago, I haven’t looked into getting back into employment. With the money, I had saved in the military and the studio flat I received from the council, I would be ok for a while till I see what I wanted to do next.

When I got back, it was ten in the evening. With my khaki backpack on my shoulder, I started to make my way to my flat. Once I reached the tower block where I lived, I pressed the lift button to call it.

“Hello, Jason.”

I recognised the voice straight away. It was a neighbour of mine from next door. “Hey, Samantha, how are you?” She was standing there with two Tesco bags in each hand. “I see you’ve purchased all the discounted items for the day?” Noticing all the yellow price tags Tesco stickers. Labels Tesco put on groceries they have to take off the shelves due to expiration dates.

“You know how it is Jason when you have three mouths to feed. By the way, the lift is out of order. The kids vandalised it again.” Taking the shopping bags from her, we started to make our way up the stairs, to the twenty-fourth floor.

“Thank you, Jason, come in I’ll make us a cup of tea? You can say hello to mum. She’s been babysitting for me tonight.”


Six months ago.

Samantha, is a twenty-five-year-old single parent mother, struggling on her own to bring up two children. Tina who is four years old and William is three. She hasn’t seen the children’s father for two years now. He moved to Scotland for work. They had contact with each other for six months. He would call her every other day, sending her money, when he got paid. As time passed, the calls became less, and the money stopped coming. The only person she has is her mother. Her father passed away a few years ago. Her mother wants her to move back with her, but Sammy wants her independence.

It was the first week I had moved into the tower block. Coming out of the flat one morning, I felt something grasp my leg tightly. Looking down, it was a little blonde girl. With both her arms around my leg, looking up she asked me, “Are you, my daddy?” Coming to my aid, was her mother, Samantha. Pulling the child off my leg, she started to apologise, “I am so sorry about that. Whenever she sees someone for the first time, she presumes it’s her father.” That is how Samantha and I met. The short time we have known each other, we bonded like brother and sister. When she had a problem, I was there for her. A shoulder to cry on. When I needed someone to speak to, she would always listen.

She had a two-bedroom flat, it was the council’s property. On moving in, the government gave her some money to decorate it. She was living with her partner then, he would say to her, “I’ll start painting next week.” Next week never came, until the money ran out on necessities for the children. With nothing to do, one day I turned up at her front door with a ten litre can of paint by my feet.

With two brushes in my hand, I knocked on the front door. “Let’s freshen up the place.” Shocked, she stepped forward embracing me in a hug, not letting me go.


Present day.

Samantha always kept her flat spotless and tidy, considering she has two children. Entering I took off my shoes, putting them on the shoe shelf. Walking into the living room, Mrs Cooper her mother was sitting on the couch, with one leg tucked under the other. With her face buried in a copy of ‘Hello’ magazine.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.