The Homecoming of Keith Boyd
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2017 by MysteryWriter

Fred Boyd his brother.
Alice Boyd his sister in law.
Nephew John 15
Niece Gabby 13
Jo Anne Wall old girl friend
Windy Wall her ex husband.
Lewis and Ellie Keith’s in laws.
Sarah Marsh retro hippie
General Briggs rd
Doris owner of the consignment shop.
Jo Anne Joyner Wall : Keith’s first girlfriend. Three girls 16 13 10

oldest daughter ginger
Mr Jessup buyer of Keith’s scooter.
Rebecca Avondale deacon and keith’s client.
Marsha stylist to Rebecca
Gulfcrest hotel/casino
Elanor, Mark and Simon family being stalked
Sylvia Amos sheriff’s detective.
Tomas Gorseski Sylvia Avery’s husband
Willow goth chick. Computer nerd
Abdi arab family victim of arson.
Ginger Moss Willow’s mother
Mr Serpico client in motel.
Liam Amos hunter.
Jasper Amos Liam’s son
Jerry Geyser first separated man to stay in cabin/tent.
Lou Anne Mason justice dept
Jill one of the federal cops.
Ashley Marcy’s friend.
Nurse Jane at hospital in grenada
Rodney Markham and Marcus Wilbert Deacon’s attackers
Sylvia Simmons (Marcy’s client) aka sonya
Mark Wilson sheriffs detective.
Lisa Preston mother of delinquent cook
Mike preston catfisherman and cook
Agent Rogers Doj
Marsha Edwards the girl who had a drug reaction in one of Keith’s cabin.
Debbie Schultz my first trailer rental not in danger.
Barbara Matros photography community college instructor.
Sally Rider and Teddy Martin his first bride and groom.
Iva Goodman dead Josey roommate
Josey Everette Johns dead friend.
Menendez supplier of fancy drugs to Josey.
Rita Moreno Menendez lawyer.


“My lawyer tells me you people are interested in who killed Josey Everette. First of all I want you to know I didn’t do it. I didn’t hire anyone to do it. I also do not know the man who did kill her.” Menendez said.

“So, do you know why she was killed,” Sylvia asked.

“How can I know that, if I don’t know who her killer was. Maybe a neighbors dog told the killer to do it,” Menendez said.

“Did your lawyer tell you that it happened on my property, and that my nephew was at the scene?” I asked.

“She did and I regret the inconvenience,” he said.

“That’s nice, but it’s not why I came. I came to find out who has to pay for this. If it was your nephew who was beaten on the showroom floor and his girlfriend was killed, I venture to say you would feel the same,” I suggested.

“Possibly, but I would try to look at the problem from all sides,” He said.

“That is why we are here,” I said. “I am content with allowing you to run your own business, without any interference form me. Unless that business involves my nephew putting himself at risk. If that happens, I suggest going forward you remove him from your operation.”

“And what will you do for me?” Menendez asked.

“I think the better questions is, what will I not do for you. As far as I’m concerned things will not change between us,” I informed him. “I will of course asked you not become involved in my business. You do have the option of doing whatever you want. If you did find the name of the man who beat my nephew, our business would truly be complete. I assure you, I will dedicate time to it. Just as I’m sure you would.”

Two things I will remind you. One, if he worked for a contractor I would never know. Two, there is no way I could have known who you were,” Menendez said.

“That is why we are having a truly friendly conversation. I’m sure you understand that I can not look the other way in a case like this,” I said.

“Deacon, will you tell your friend he can trust me,” Menendez said.

“Keith is one of those DIY guys. Too many tours in the mid-east teach a man to trust noone,” Deacon explained.

“In that case there will be a problem,” Menendez said.

“I think we have come to a dead end here,” Rita the lawyer said.

“I agree,” I said. “If anything should happen to John, we will meet again.”

“I hope that won’t be necessary,” Menendez said.

“As do I.” I replied.

“And me,” Deacon said.

“Weigh the value of everyone in this room before you make your decision,” Ash added.

Sylvia just smiled and turned away. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I walked away. I doubted seriously Menendez would pop us in his show room, but he wouldn’t mind running us off the road on the way home.

“So what now super sleuth,” I asked.

“I don’t have a plan do you?” she asked.

“No but I wonder if the DEA has a designer drug squad?” I asked.

“They should, they have every other kind of special squad known to man,” Sylvie suggested. “What makes you think we want them fooling around with out case?”

“I don’t, but I want to make progress on this. I’m thinking I know someone in the DOJ who owes me a favor. Maybe we won’t have to ask,” I suggested.

“I’m sure the special agent at the DOJ can ask nicer than either of us,” Sylvia volunteered.

“Let me find out how it goes,” I said.

“The Deacon is not going to like you working both sides of the fence,” Sylvia suggested.

“I think he will understand. Marcy may not,” I suggested.

“Marcy definitely will not understand,” she agreed.

I called and got Lou Anne Mason’s phone, but I had to leave a message. “Lou Anne give me a call please. I need a little help. This is Keith Boyd.” I closed the connection.

“You mean she didn’t drop everything for you,” Sylvia asked.

“You tell me something, are unpaid consultant entitled to a free meal?” I asked.

“Sure but the officer chooses the place,” she suggested.

“Before you choose I would like to remind you how hard it is to find a good Chinese dinner in Greenville,” I reminded her.

“Even in Jackson,” she agreed.

“John swears by the Chow King’s Grill and Buffet,” I suggested. “It out on Jackson avenue somewhere.”

“Okay, but if your girl doesn’t call by five, we are headed home,” Sylvia demanded.

“We can head home anyway. She isn’t here in Oxford,” I suggested.

“Then why don’t we do that, We can do lunch at Chow King’s next time,” she suggested.

“Okay, I’ll call Alice.”

“Alice I’m headed home. We should be there by five or so. Sylvia is a terribly fast driver,” I said lightheartedly.

“Good, I need to talk to you,” she said.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“It will wait till you get here,” Alice said.

“What’s up,” Sylvia asked.

“Not a clue. She wanted to wait until I was face to face with her,” I suggested.

“How long has your brother been gone?” she asked.

“Just a few months,” I replied.

“Is she getting a little desperate?” Sylvia asked.

“Don’t even think that way,” I said with a laugh.

“I know you don’t get out much, but surely you wouldn’t say no to a house guest,” she suggested.

“Certainly I would to my sister in law,” I replied indignantly.

“I’ve see the woman in question, and I don’t believe that,” Sylvia said.

“I would never even think of it,” I said.

When I arrived at the entrance to the Gatehouse, I opened that gate with the smartish phone so that Sylvia could drive in. “So what time are you coming by tomorrow,” I asked opening the car door.

“Not sure I am,” she stated flatly.

“Okay not a problem,”I said. “I’ll find something to do with my time.”

“Okay, if you don’t hear from me by nine, find something else to do with your day,” she suggested.

“Right,” I said. I speed dialed Alice’s number while standing on the porch. It went to voice mail so I said, “I’m home, if you are interested.” I broke the connection and opened a can of dog food. I mixed a big spoonful with Chisum’s kibble, then placed it on the porch. He went right out to eat it.

I on the other hand, I still had to prepare dinner for myself. The phone rang while I was looking inside the refrigerator. “Hello,” I said.

“Have you eaten yet,” Alice asked.

“No I am staring into the abyss that is my refrigerator,” I commented. “Next I will try to convert something into a meal.”

“Don’t bother, I made a perfectly delicious wild bore stew. I assume you do like that,” She stated.

“I do,” I said.

“Good Gabby Is doing a sleep over. How about I bring the stew and you provide the iced tea,” Alice suggested.

“That’s best offer I’ve had in weeks,” I said in agreement.

Alice showed up a few minutes later with a corning ware bowl filled with brown Boar Stew with vegetables. She also brought a pan of warm bread. I had a package of frozen eclairs thawing and a big pitcher of fresh iced tea made from a mix. We had dinner while I waited for the shoe to fall.

It was after dinner and after a couple of eclairs that she asked, “How was John involved with that poor girl’s murder?”

“Alice there is nothing that links John to her in anyway except sexual,” I said.

“Is that all there is?” she asked. “The rumor is she was high.”

“There is nothing that links John to her drugs,” I said.

“She was in the drug business wasn’t she,” she asked.

I nodded then said, “There are some indications she sold drugs to students and faculty in Oxford. As of now nothing links John to the business.”

Keith, you are tap dancing as fast as you can. Tell me straight is John in trouble?” Alice asked.

“I honestly don’t know. I’m pretty sure that John is not dealing drugs. I’m afraid the man who killed Josey might be having second thoughts about leaving John healthy, so I’m looking for the man who gave John the beat down.” I explained. “Honey it’s just too early to know who is involved and how they are.”

“Okay I’ll stop asking, if you promise to tell me when you know something. I mean something I need to know to help John,” Alice explained.

“I will promise that no problem,” I agreed.

“Good,” she moved to stand in front of me and gave me a not so sisterly kiss. I was the one who broke it.

“I can’t do this Alice. I would love to, but I owe both you and Fred too much.” It was one of those times the fewer words the better.

“So I guess there is honor among Boyds,” she said.

“I guess,” I replied.

“Then I’m going to go home and get drunk,” Alice said.

“Trust me, you wont feel any better in the morning,” I said.

“Then I’ll home and watch porn on the internet,” she said.

“That might work,” I said.

Alice roughed up Chisum’s fur then said good night. I was not glad to see her go, but I was glad the temptation was gone. I’m not nearly as strong as people think I am.

I stayed awake until I was exhausted then rolled into bed minus the ‘man of steel’ fake lie. I had to get up at twilight to urinate. I didn’t have anything fancy to do it in, but what I had worked fine for the purpose.

When I awoke at six, I was ready to get out of bed and fix breakfast for Chisum and myself. While I mixed his and put it out for him, my coffee was brewing. I brewed my coffee in a ten dollar machine which worked just fine. I was sure most of the people I know hated my coffee. They blamed it on my cheep coffee maker, but it actually was the fact that I brew a full pot, then let it sit around getting old and strong before I drank it. I made fresh coffee first thing every day but I finished off the coffee from the day before first. Breakfast was a brand muffin with peanut butter. The peanut butter fooled me into thinking it was good for me.

It was eight thirty in the morning when my cell rang. The screen told me it was Sylvia, my so called cop friend. “So whats up super sleuth?” I asked.

“I got a call from Agent Timothy McMann of the DEA. He is coming to Oxford to brief the Oxford Police on the latest in designer drugs. I just wanted to tell you that you must have a lot of juice to get him down here so fast” Sylvia said.

“Hold on, I had a half dozen messages this morning but I haven’t read them yet,” I said. “Got a text telling me there would be a DEA agent coming. So the DOJ does have it’s uses,” I said.

“Lucky you, a man with friends in high places,” she said.

“I’m just likeable. What can I say?” I asked.

“And so humble,” Sylvia commented with a laugh in her voice.

“That to,” so what time are you going to be here,” I asked.

“Sometime around nine. This Tim McMann will be there after noon. We can ask a few questions of the Oxford Vice guys,” she suggested.

“Good plan. We can work in the Chinese Buffet,” I suggested with a smile in my voice.

“Alright I’ll buy you the Chinese,” She said.

“I’ll call and invite him to lunch,” I said.

Since Lou Anne gave me a contact number, I sent him a text inviting him to lunch. Sylvia and I were in the car on the way to Oxford when I got the answer. ‘Sure why not. I’m always up for a free meal’.

“Being your friend is very expensive,” Sylvia said when I gave her the news.

“We will learn all kinds of good things,” I said. “The price for that kind of information is reasonable.”

“If there is any new information. He may just be here to pick our brains,” Sylvia said.

We went to the Oxford PD for the meeting with the vice unit’s chief. “Lt Marshal?” Sylvia asked the older veteran cop. “I called last night. We would like to talk to you about a possible connection between your drugs and our homicide.”

“I read the case file that you included. Beautiful thing the Internet,” Marshall said. “The victim was not on our radar. The Roofies are getting more popular all the time. The people dealing them usually deal ecstasy and a handful of other low volume drugs. They are all more recreational than habitual users. I don’t know her name, but I have heard rumors of a big time distributor setting up shop here.

So far we don’t have any information on the source, or the people involved in distributing these drugs.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.