Sod's Law
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2017 by Always Raining

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 2 - David meets Helen. There is instant rapport. What could go wrong? Sod's law says if it can go wrong it will go wrong, probably catastrophically. Can they ever beat Sod at his evil game? This is a long, slow meandering story, you have been warned.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Fiction   Slow  

Tuesday 3rd May 1983

After a bank holiday weekend when there was no sign of the sun, but rain made its unwelcome presence felt on a regular basis, I didn’t feel particularly cheerful when I returned home on Tuesday evening after a tedious day’s work minutely checking and rechecking complex clauses and sub-clauses in a long, long contract. Indeed it was put together so confusingly that I became increasingly sure that someone was trying to put one over on our client. I had resigned myself to another day of the same on the morrow.

I went straight to the kitchen, put the kettle on for some desperately needed tea and sat at the kitchen table while it boiled (the kettle, not the table).

Imogen came in and looked surprised to see me.

“Did you pick up the envelope that Helen left for you? I put it in your pigeon hole.”

“No, it’s not been the most exciting day of my life today,” I said with a laugh. “I came straight here for tea to revive my drooping spirits. You say Helen came here?”

“Yeah. She said it was easier to deliver it by hand, so you’d be sure to get it.” She paused and grinned. “I’m pretty sure she looked disappointed you weren’t around.”

“Oh, the joys of student life!” I said with some feeling. “Unfortunately, student life is followed by ‘working all day everyday’ life.”

“Ooh, dear!” Imogen giggled, coming over and giving me a hug. “Someone is in a really bad way! Here, the kettle’s boiled. Let me make the tea for you.”

“You’re an angel.”

“I am, aren’t it?” she preened with a laugh as she bustled about making the drink and putting milk into the mugs. She was always so cheerful and optimistic.

“So you were here?” I queried. “I thought architects worked a full day like us lawyers.”

“Ouch! You know how to hurt a girl, David. Actually if you must know, I had to take some drawings to a company not too far from here. No point in going back: I would get to the office as everyone was leaving.

“Anyway, I know Helen was really disappointed to miss you because she left you a message that she’d be back here on Friday to talk with Murray and Elsa about the room, and hoped to see you then. Even gave a time: said it would be around five thirty or six.”

She brought me my tea and took hers off to her room, leaving me alone in the kitchen once more. I went to the post room and picked up the thick envelope, taking it back to the kitchen where I opened it and emptied the contents onto the table.

I sorted the papers out and found she had completed everything, and had even obtained from her parents the guarantor document duly witnessed, and a cheque for the deposit.

Wow! I thought, She’s really keen to make sure she gets the room!

She must have gone home over the weekend, and I noted with surprise from the guarantor document that her parents lived in York, seventy miles away. Did her boyfriend take her? Or did she go alone by train? It should only take about an hour and a half by train. Still the journey and the visit would take all day, as I couldn’t see her bobbing in and out of her parents’ place, especially if she had to cadge the deposit money out of them!

I put the empty envelope in the paper recycling box, and shuffled the papers together to take them to the office.

Once again Helen was on my mind. She was sorry to have missed me. She had made sure I knew she would be returning to the House, even to giving me a time!

came the thought that she would be cramming for her second year exams. I had had experience of that, indeed I had, and it was not the happiest of memories. Yet in the midst of that, she was making sure to come – and tell me she was coming.

Imogen returned a little later to find me still sitting there. “Got to get dinner ready, it’s a nut loaf roast, so it has to go in the oven early. You’re not on either eating list, d’you fancy a bit of nut roast?”

“Please,” I said with gratitude and some enthusiasm. Imogen was an inventive and skilful cook and a thoughtful friend.

“David,” she said gently with her back to me. “You really should ask her out you know.”

We both knew about whom she was speaking. I said nothing; she continued.

“Nuala was saying it’s over two years since you had a girlfriend, Dave. She said you broke up with the last one before your finals.”

“Yes. Actually she broke up with me. Basically I neglected her and she moved on to find someone who would give her more attention. She knew I needed to give all my attention to getting a First, especially if I wanted a training place with Jordan and Abrahams, and more important, the chance of a position with them after training. Can’t blame her really.”

“I remember you were really upset for months. You’ve been putting all your effort into your work. But you’re nearly at the end of your training now, and you have a lot more time than you did then. There’s more to life than your job and running this place, you know.”

“Imogen, I know you mean well, but next year Helen is going to be in the same position I was in two years ago. I don’t think it would work out. It didn’t for me.” Why was I being so negative?

“OK, I’m not going to nag you. Final word: you wouldn’t be in the position your girlfriend – Susan wasn’t it? – was in before. You would be a lot more understanding than Susan was, wouldn’t you? And you’d be in a perfect position to help and support her. It could bring you closer together rather than drive you apart.”

“Hmm,” was my reply. Imogen sighed obviously for my benefit, but said no more about it.

By the end of the evening, I knew I was being persecuted in the nicest possible way by well meaning House members of the female persuasion.

At dinner, Kim was eating with Imogen, Ibrahim and me. Nuala, Christian and Harry were eating one of Christian’s African chicken recipes later that evening. I felt like signing up for that as well!

“Imogen says that Helen was here this afternoon,” Kim said with a casual glance at me which nonetheless presaged more imminent comment.

“That so?” said Ibrahim with some curiosity. “What did she want? I thought we sorted her out on Friday.”

“I think she was bringing the forms back – for David.” She paused with a mischievous look. “Apparently she was so disappointed to miss him.”

Kim was known to be the most romantic soul in the House. The others ragged her that she wept readily during films if anything untoward happened to the characters, and would be dewey eyed and sighing at the love scenes. As a result the implication in her comment, along with her emphases, were obvious to all, even to me.

Kim,” I said abruptly. “Enough! Imogen has already given me the third degree. I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Aww!” she pouted. “You’re no fun, David.”

“I’ve had a dreadful day doing the most exacting, boring and draining work with a hell of a lot hanging on it, with another day just like it in the offing tomorrow. I’m very tired and just want to relax without match-makers pushing me to expound on my love life or lack of it. OK?”

It was not often that I reacted so aggressively, and the others left the subject well alone for the rest of the meal, moving on to other safer topics.

Back in my room, of course, as a result of the conversations about her, I found I could not stop thinking about Helen. I wondered if Imogen had doctored the message Helen had given her, to push the two of us together.

I could not believe that Helen was so desperate to see me after only two meetings. More likely Helen mentioned in passing that she was meeting Murray and Elsa the following Friday about their moving date, and Imogen had interpreted that as Helen’s invitation to me.

I was out of the door on my way to see Imogen to get clarification, when I stopped dead. If I were to ask her for more information if would only fuel her match-making keenness. I returned to my chair and sat down heavily.

Yes, it was time to admit that I was strongly attracted to Helen. There was something about her, something about how instantly relaxed I felt with her. It could hardly be her looks (not that she was bad looking), she was just not my physical type. That was the puzzle I could not tie down. I remembered how there was some connection between us from the moment I first opened the door to her.

I was strongly attracted to her from that moment on. It couldn’t have been her intellect, at that time we’d hardly spoken, and I didn’t know what her subject was. So what was it?

Was it true what the girls said? That she felt the same attraction? Were there clear signs she did feel something for me that I had missed? It would be easy to manufacture such signs in my mind. She did impulsively kiss me, and on the lips for rather longer than a grateful ‘friend’ might, but she was hardly even a friend – yet.

It would be so easy to accept Imogen’s statements as the factual truth. As far as I was concerned, thinking as a lawyer, Imogen’s was hearsay evidence and inadmissible! I laughed out loud at that: life is not a courtroom!

Eventually I decided I would wait and see how she behaved to me on Friday. I would make sure I was there. This time I would search her face and her mannerisms much more carefully – the tells in her behaviour: pushing her hair over her ear in that way women had; touching my arm, shoulder, as she spoke; gazing into my eyes, blinking more rapidly. Yes, I would find out for myself on Friday. At least get more of a clue. I immediately felt so much better.

For the rest of the week, though, she was there in my mind whenever I had a moment’s rest from concentrating on my work. I would wonder how she felt about me, and I had to admit to myself that I was longing for Friday to see her again. I knew I wanted her and was no longer rejecting the feelings I had for her. In one way that certainty lessened the tension, but in another it heightened it.

Fortunately, those House members who had an interest in my emotional well-being had been sufficiently scared off the topic of Helen by my aggressive reaction that they steered clear of the topic, so I was left in peace, though obtusely I rather wanted to share my feelings with anyone who would bring the subject up. They didn’t. Damn!

Friday dawned and I woke up breathless with excitement that I would see her in the evening. It was at that moment that Sod’s Law came into force. ‘Sod’ had awoken and decided to enact his law on me, unfortunate lawyer that I was. It was not be the first time, and it would certainly not be the last.

I decided to go into work very early so that I could leave in good time for Helen’s visit, but this proved to be a bad move, for on my arrival, there was already a message for me to see one of the senior partners in the practice without delay. Was I in trouble?

He was already there!

“You wished to see me Mr Seddon?” I asked after knocking and entering.

“Yes, David. Mr Jarred Abrahams was very impressed by the work you did on Gregson’s contract. You’ve saved them from making a very unfortunate and expensive mistake.

“It’s no fun checking sub-clauses for days on end, we know that: we’ve all had to do it – it’s one of the reasons we give it to deserving trainees!” He laughed heartily, and I felt obliged to smile, but wondered where this was leading.

“You’ve performed so well we are going to give you a little reward; a treat! It will make your name more widely known. You will take the amended contract to London in person today. You will explain the corrections and improvements you’ve made.

“Ask Marian, she’s booked your train tickets and there’s cash for taxis at this end and in London. Buy yourself a decent lunch or dinner as well. No skimping! You can go over the contract again on the train. You’re expected at Gregson’s at midday. Off you go, lad!”

I was dazed by this development. While I knew it was a mark of approbation, I also knew the reason one of the partners was not going was that it was Friday and Shabbas began in the evening!

I wondered with a sinking feeling when I would get home. I knew there was no chance I could refuse this honour, and that it was a further step to obtaining a permanent position in the practice, as well as becoming known by name among our clients.

“Here you are!” said Marian, handing me a plastic wallet. “Everything you’ll need. We’ve even got you a company briefcase. You’ve got first class train tickets, and you’ll go by taxi in London. If you don’t want to shit yourself, don’t look at the meter; just remember to get a receipt.” She laughed. “Taxi’s waiting. Off you go!”

So with that sinking feeling that I’d not be back until late that evening, I went. I have to say I loved the day out! I’d never travelled first class before. The meeting began on time at midday, broke for lunch at one, when I was wined and dined by one of the directors no less. We resumed at two thirty, and finished with their thanks ringing in my ears at four.

The train Marian had booked left at five, and should have arrived in Manchester two and a half hours later, but Sod had been waiting eagerly with an evil grin all day to ambush me with his law, and intervened at the cost of a human life. Some unfortunate soul committed suicide by jumping in front of the previous train.

I arrived home exhausted, shortly after eleven to a quiet House, and went straight to bed with a generous whisky without seeing anyone. I had long since stopped feeling frustrated at missing Helen, and simply felt depressed about it, instead of being elated at a highly successful trip and a future for me with the practice that looked increasingly secure, even rosy.

Oh blessed Saturdays! This was a sentiment I fervently espoused as I came to consciousness after a good night’s sleep.

As I lay in my warm bed, I idly thought that for the practice, which was Jewish in origin, Saturday was indeed a blessed day: Shabbas, a day of rest, a day to appreciate life and its gifts.

Our practice still did no business on Saturdays, and while non-Jewish employees might work late on Fridays and often did, the Jewish members left well before sunset when Shabbas would begin.

I felt warmly satisfied: I had done the practice proud yesterday, and the client was delighted with me and my work on their behalf. They had confided that I had saved them millions. Mr Jordan would be very happy with me, and that boded well for my continued stay with the practice. Life was good, and even the sun had come out, albeit briefly!

Having slept nude as I always did, I donned a tee shirt and shorts, over which went a dressing gown, and thus equipped I made my way down to the kitchen to make some tea.

It was nine o’clock, and it seemed I was first up. I made enough tea for a few housemates as well as myself and spooned muesli into a bowl, over which I poured some milk and sat down at the table to eat while the tea brewed.

I was busy with my simple breakfast, when into the kitchen burst Imogen and Kim, panting with exertion, rosy faced and sweating. Both were dressed in tee shirts and very brief and tight shorts. I noticed! They were laughing as they entered, but that died as soon as they saw me.

“Tea’s in the pot,” I offered, trying to work out whether they were upset or angry from their panting expressions. “Been out for a run?”

“Where the hell were you last night?” growled Imogen with considerable aggression, ignoring my question and my offer, which irritated me and prompted a most unhelpful response.

“Since when did any of us have to account for our behaviour to other people in this house?” I returned curtly. “Where I was, where I’ve been is none of your concern Imogen.”

It took her aback, and she said nothing more, but went to the teapot and poured tea for the three of us.

Kim therefore seemed to feel it fell to her to explain Imogen’s outburst.

“David, you were supposed to be meeting Helen yesterday evening, remember?” This was said with quiet and gentle reproof. However, I still felt besieged and on the defensive.

“I don’t think I was supposed to meet anyone last night, Kim,” I reposted. “If I remember, all business between Helen Metcalfe and me was completed the Friday before last. Someone said she was coming to see Murray and Elsa. I don’t remember her making an appointment to see me.”

Now though my outward responses were negative and dismissive, internally I felt the renewed disappointment that I had missed her all over again. The day before, I could do nothing about it, and from her point of view, meeting me could not have been all that important, but I had missed her. However, in this confrontation I was not going to admit any of that.

Imogen sat down opposite me, “Here’s your tea,” she said much more calmly.

I glanced her way: “Thanks,” I said. Then I kept my head down and pretended concentration on decreasing the muesli in my bowl as I spooned it into my mouth.

There was a silence as Kim also sat down with her tea. The silence grew. Eventually I looked up, saw their expectant expressions and sighed with resignation. I would not get away without an explanation.

“All right, go on!” I muttered.

Both women smiled with satisfaction and began to speak together, then hesitated. Imogen tried again.

“David, you know perfectly well she left a message for you that she would be coming yesterday evening. She would not have said anything like that if she didn’t want to see you. She’d already made a date with Murray and Elsa.

“She came and she was clearly disappointed you weren’t there. She really was, it was obvious, David. She was upset. We think she now believes you are trying to avoid her.”

“Well, I’m sorry,” I replied. “If I’d thought it was a matter of life and death for her, which, by the way, I very much doubt, I’d have left a message. As it happens the Senior Partners sent me to London with a contract I’ve been tweaking, to explain to the directors in person my success in saving them a load of money by averting a near disaster, and show them the improvements I’d made.

“I got the five o’clock from Euston and should have been here at the flat by eight at the very latest, but some thoughtless individual dived in front of the previous express and we were delayed for two hours. I got into Manchester at about ten, and since I’d not had any dinner, grabbed a chinese meal in town before coming home.”

Both women looked disappointed and even distressed, which prompted a further response from me.

“What’s the matter now?”

“Harry, that’s what’s the matter,” said Kim. “He took her out for a meal. He’s not come back, and if previous experience is anything to go by, he won’t be back until tomorrow night.” The implication for Helen was obvious.

Harry Benson-Smythe was a third year politics and economics student, who could have gone to Oxford or Cambridge if he had not been so lazy and such a philanderer. The offspring of very wealthy parents, he was a handsome man, with a big impressive car, and plenty of money to entertain impressionable girls, usually horizontally in a posh hotel bedroom.

“So?” I said, affecting lack of interest in Helen’s choice of a weekend companion, though in actual fact my spirits plummeted, and I felt despair.

I knew now she had shown interest in me and I was disappointed that she would be so mercenary as to give herself to Harry instead, especially as she was supposedly so committed to her degree course.

What’s more she had a boyfriend, no matter how casual he might have been. Once more my face gave me away. Thankfully I never learned to play poker.

“Don’t be so disingenuous David,” Imogen reprimanded me. “We know you two are attracted to each other. You’ve never reacted to any other woman since Susan as you have to her.

“Come on, admit it, you do fancy her, and you’re upset she’s gone with Harry, who we all know will use her for a while and than dump her. We can see it in your face, my love.”

In my desolation I nevertheless tried to salvage something from that defeat.

“I think I’ve said it before, office affaires and affaires between flat sharers are a bad idea, because of what happens when the couple break up. It’s probably a blessing in disguise.” I didn’t believe a word I said.

“But–” from Kim.

“Yes, Kim, I do like her a lot, but some things are just not meant to be, and I do believe what I say about relationships between people living in the same house.

“She’s got, or perhaps had a steady boyfriend. If she’s fallen for Harry, good luck to her because, though even if I might find her attractive, I’m certainly not running after her, or picking up the pieces after Harry dumps her. In any case, I’m not convinced that even if we got together, that would be a good idea.”

“David, in general I agree that house relationships are not a good idea,” said Imogen. “Let’s face it, we avoid them ourselves, but I think that sometimes the relationship supersedes that rule. When I saw you with Helen I thought there was something special going on that I don’t think either of you are fully aware of. We’ll say no more, OK?”

“Except to say we only want you to be happy, and Helen seemed a good prospect,” added Kim, ever the optimistic matchmaker.

“I don’t know! You women and your match-making,” I said with a smile. “Helen Metcalfe has a boyfriend, maybe two if she’s with Harry now. I have no intention of being number three, so can we put this finally to bed and get on with living in the real world? I’m twenty-three years old: plenty of time to settle down. There are several lovely women here who look after my best interests and are a lot of fun, so I’m very happy as I am thank you.”

The two women smiled broadly at me.

“It’s not that we want you to settle down, you know,” said Kim. “We just think it’d do you good to have a girlfriend every now and then, you know, a bit of one on one fun in your life.”

“I have you two girls living with me,” I said with my mischievous grin. “You’re about as much fun as I can cope with.”

The two snorted with disbelief, rose from the table and went to the sink to wash up, Kim taking my mug and re-filling it with tea, brought it back to me. Those shorts didn’t hide a lot. I was right, having them around was enough for me!

“See?” I said laughing, “A beautiful woman brings me tea without my even asking. What more could I want?”

“If you don’t know what more there is to having a woman around than bringing you tea,” said Kim, “you really are in a bad way. Come on, Imogen, it’s about time we showered and left this lonely bachelor to his solitary woe.”

With that they left me to wash my breakfast bowl and take my tea back to my room to have my own shower and get dressed.

I wondered if my lack of interest in finding a girlfriend was precisely because life was so comfortable with the three women living in the House. They all took an almost motherly interest in me and did look after me in various ways, while staying well clear of anything sexual or even too affectionate.

And they were all so good looking! Life was good, I tried to tell himself, but thoughts of Helen were never far away and left me vaguely uncomfortable and wondering. In fact, I did feel cheated.

Murray knocked on my door after dinner on Sunday evening, was invited to come in and sit down on one of my two armchairs.

“I know my lease runs out on July 31st,” he said, after being offered and accepting a beer. “But I will actually be moving on Friday June 17th: my new job in London starts on the 20th. Elsa and I have taken out an exorbitant mortgage on a flat down there, and in fact we’ll be furnishing it over the three weeks prior to leaving, so you won’t be seeing much of us from the beginning of June onwards.”

“I assume this concerns Helen Metcalfe?”

“You’re ahead of me, Dave. It seems that she and her flatmates are ending their lease at the end of June since the university will have gone down by then and all the end of term parties will be well finished.”

“So she would like to move in from the beginning of July instead of the beginning of August?”

“Yes. She’s got a summer work placement with a law firm in London for most of July, August and early September, so she wants to get herself settled in here ready for next term before she goes south. Moving in at the beginning of July is ideal for her. The question is, how do we arrange this?”

“Easy. She’s already paid her deposit, so she can move in on July 1st, or earlier if you’ve no objection. You’re leaving on 17th June, which gives me time to get the cleaners in and sort out the refund of your deposit. If you want it, I can give you a written assurance that you will not be liable for any charges after the 17th.

“If she were desperate, she could move in on the 19th. It would be a push to get the room ready, but it’s been done before.

“Fine,” Murray agreed. “I’ll let her know.”

I had an idea. “It seems she was expecting to see me on Friday. Could you apologise to her and say I was unavoidably delayed after an urgent appointment that day. No doubt we’ll see her on the 1st of July.”

“Oh Aye,” said Murray, his Scottish accent seeping out. “Now you mention it she did ask if you were at home. She seemed disappointed you weren’t here. But don’t worry laddie, Harry invited her out for a drink I think, so I’m sure she’ll have been well entertained.”

“Of that I have no doubt,” I replied significantly. “I did hear as much from Imogen.”

“Och, we all ken Harry!”

“We do indeed Murray!”

I resigned himself to no longer having any chance of a relationship with Helen, which saddened me, and nothing further was heard from her in the succeeding weeks. I assumed that she had achieved her purpose and would arrive on the date specified.

It seemed the girls were wrong and she had no real interest in me. I would have the same relationship with her as I had with the other women in the House, indeed with all the residents. Somehow that gave me no sense of relief at all.

For me, life returned to its normal routine. I was in fact offered a position with Jordan and Abrahams and I endured the congratulations of the other residents of the House. I had to take them out for a meal! Harry missed it: he was out womanising as usual, possibly with Helen.

On Tuesday the 14th of June, I was looking out of the window on a calm sunny evening, and feeling comfortable that the savage thunderstorms of the previous week were gone. I still shivered as I remembered the size of the hailstones, almost as big as golf balls only the previous Tuesday. The sun cheered me up, and I felt a sense of peace.

I should have known better. Outside my room somewhere in the house, I could hear voices raised in anger. A woman was berating a man. I wondered idly who had upset whom. One thing I knew, I would keep well clear. I was so wrong!

After a perfunctory knock at the door and my invitation, Nuala burst in.

“That man!” she snarled. “You will not believe this!”

I wondered fleetingly if Murray had upset her. He was leaving on the Friday and he and Elsa had been moving personal stuff down to the post-room where, to be fair, it was getting in the way. Nuala rapidly disposed of that idea.

“Sure I can’t believe he’s said nothing all this time, and isn’t the amadán saying he doesn’t know what the problem is!”

“Amadán? And the problem? And who are you–”

“Eejit! – not you – him! Harry!”

I started laughing at her outraged expression. “Nuala calm down! You get all Irish on us when you’re worked up! We all know Harry is renowned for doing strange and stupid things, usually with women. What’s so special about this time? What’s he done now?”

“Weren’t we collecting our post and falling over all Murray’s stuff just now? Then Murray’s stuff reminded me that Helen was moving in soon, so I says to him, ‘How’s things with Helen?’

“He looks puzzled. ‘How should I know?’ he says.

“‘You were going out with her’ I tell him.

“‘Nah,’ he says. ‘Only the once. She’d not eaten, so we went for a meal – you know me, top class restaurant.’ And he grins, the bonehead.

“‘Go on!’ says I, encouraging him.

“‘What?’ says he. Holy Mother of God the man is thicker than our floorboards!”

(I should point our that Georgian floorboards are much thicker than present day flooring, though I don’t think Nuala knew that)!

Nuala was continuing her diatribe. “ ‘Why only the once?’ I ask him, patiently like. As well get blood out of a stone!

“‘Never stopped talking about Evans,’ he says. ‘Was he going with anyone? Did I know why he hadn’t turned up? Then going on about how ‘lovely’ he was. Then asked me if he was avoiding her. So I told her straight.’

“Then he said it, the bloody eejit.”

I cocked an eyebrow. Nuala is so entertaining when she’s telling a tale, more so when she’s annoyed.

“He said, ‘I told her David is a bit of a stuffed shirt, typical lawyer,’ he says and he grins as if it was clever. ‘I told her he’s not interested in girls, and he’s dead strong against housemates having relationships with each other. That shut her up. Bloody miserable she was for the rest of the meal. Took her back to her place and left her. Not seen her since.’”

She stopped as if waiting for my outraged response.

“So the shouting match... ?” I asked, affecting ingenuousness.

“Didn’t I tell him? Didn’t I ask him if it might have crossed his tiny little mind to tell you about that conversation? Can you believe that man? He couldn’t understand why he should, since he knew you weren’t interested in her. The arrogance of it! I said wasn’t that up to you. And d’you know what he said, the bastard?” She paused in her diatribe.

“What did he say. Nuala?” I asked doggedly.

“If she wasn’t interested in him, Harry, she certainly wouldn’t be interested in you. I mean, how thick, conceited and pig-headed is that? I told him that her asking about you should have been a tiny clue that she was interested in you.

“What was the point, he asked, since he knew you weren’t interested in her.

“I lost it, David, so I did! I shouted at him–”

I laughed loudly, and she looked shocked at my response.

“Nuala, darling,” I giggled. “From what I heard, the shouting began a little earlier!”

I think she had the grace to grin at that.

“OK, clever clogs!” she continued. “I shouted louder. I told him that a good friend would have told you just in case – and here I was sarcastic, I admit,” she said with a wider grin. “ – just in case you went against all your principles and wanted to know her better as well.” She paused looking a little uncertain for a brief moment. “You do, don’t you?”

“I do what?” I’m sorry, I couldn’t help needling her.

She exhaled loudly. “Aren’t all you men thick as tree-trunks! Don’t – You – Want – To – Know – Her – Better?”

“Yes, Nuala, if it makes you feel better.”

“What d’you mean?”

“What I said.”

Please David!”

“OK. Look, you three women, and I wouldn’t put it past Elsa as well, seem dead set on pushing Helen and me together. Since Harry took her out, life for me has been wonderfully peaceful; the heat’s been off me.

“Now? I assume the female match-machine will be cranked up again and my life will be hell until I’ve taken her out and she’s dumped me as a (to use Harry’s expression) ‘stuffed shirt’. So yes, I want to know her better – as a housemate! There! Good enough?”

Nuala had, by now, calmed down. “Not quite good enough, David. If you take her out, we women know romance will blossom, so it will. Now, will you have some tea?”

“Please, Nuala, that would be so nice.”

No sooner had Nuala left the room, than Harry entered it. I could have sworn they passed each other in the doorway.

“Hey, mate, I’m sorry!” he began without further introduction. “I’d no idea you were interested in Helen. I wouldn’t have hit on her if I’d known. I didn’t know she was already sweet on you.”

“Harry, don’t fall for these women’s preoccupation with getting me married off. Say nothing to the coven, but there is something about her that I can’t put my finger on–”

“Dave, it’s been too long since you had a woman if you don’t know where to put your finger and other bits of you!” and he gave a dirty laugh. I joined in, if anything dirtier still. All men together!

“I think I can remember, Harry, and if I forget, there’s books to help me!”

“Books are fine, but you need fingers-on experience. Fancy coming out with me one night?”

“Thanks, Harry, but I didn’t know you were into men?”

“You know what I mean. I can set you up with a friendly woman.”

“Harry, really I think your lifestyle is a bit much for me!”

Harry guffawed. “Probably right,” he laughed. “Do it your own way.”

“I intend to, all in good time. I’ve had to work at getting a position in a really good law firm and it took a lot of intense effort. Things will be better now, more relaxed.”

“You got the job?”

“Yep! And at the law firm I’m with at the moment. Of course, you missed our little celebration.”

“Well, cheers old son! That calls for a drink – only a drink, got to keep your celibacy intact till you’re ripe for the plucking.”

“Ripe for a word that rhymes with it, I would have thought.”

“You’re too quick for me,” Harry muttered with a chuckle. “Not like you to use coarse language.”

“If you noticed, I didn’t actually use the word.”

“You lawyers and nit-picking with the evidence!” Harry paused, then “Are we OK, David?”

“Yeah, Harry, we’re OK. And I’ll take you up on that drink, but not tonight.”

Harry left, and Nuala brought me my tea.

“Harry been to see you?” she asked.

“Yes. He apologised and we’re best mates, so be nice to him, you hear?”

“Yes, sir!”

While it seemed to me that everything had been smoothed out as far as Harry and Nuala were concerned, it rekindled my preoccupation with thoughts of Helen. I had not forgotten her, but now she had become relevant again thanks to Nuala and Harry. Hope began to grow.

On Thursday the Sixteenth of June, the whole House had a farewell meal in the formal dining room for Murray and Elsa, and then we all went out for a drink. It was the day before the couple were to leave. By Thursday evening everything of theirs had gone, apart from what they needed for the night and morning, and their room looked very empty and a good deal larger as a result.

I thought to myself how well our housemates got on together, though there was friction from time to time, witness the fracas on the previous Tuesday, but the aim of Aaron Jordan to have a house where, after he and his wife had left it, people lived in harmony, seemed to be being achieved and I hoped the old man’s ghost would be pleased.

On Friday at work I commissioned the cleaning company to give the room a going over, and made the appointment for Monday morning. I also booked some official time from work on the Monday to be there while they did it. It turned out to be a little premature since Helen would decide to paint the place.

On Monday afternoon, after the cleaners had finished and I had signed the job off as done, I penned a note to Helen, telling her that the room was ready and that she was welcome to move her things in the interim before the beginning of July. I put the front door and room keys into the envelope and sealed it.

I felt excited as I drove to her address that evening, and a little apprehensive as I rang the doorbell. It was opened at length by a tall red-haired young woman with a freckled face and pale skin. Her face was pretty and she had a statuesque figure, perfectly proportioned but ample.

“Hello!” she greeted me cheerfully, and then waited with an enquiring expression.

“Hello,” I returned. “Would Helen Metcalfe be at home?”

“Sorry!” she said glibly. “She’s out for the night with her boyfriend. Probably back sometime tomorrow. University is finished for the summer, you know.”

I felt that well-known sinking feeling at the news, but smiled and held out the envelope.

“Could you make sure she gets this, please?” I asked. “It’s important.”

“No problem!” the cheerful girl answered. “You’ve come just in time: she’s leaving at the end of the month, joining some sort of hippy commune.”

“Well, I wouldn’t exactly call it that,” I chuckled. “It’s simply a shared house, rather like this one I suppose, but on a larger scale.”

“Oh, are you from there?” Now she looked interested.

“Yes. It’s a large house with eight residents, each with his or her own en suite room. There’s no landlord as such, the residents run the House and the building is held in a trust for repairs and things like that.”

“So no free love or orgies or anything like that?” she said with a wicked grin.

“Sorry to disappoint you,” I said. “The only things we share are the cooking and cleaning!”

“Aw, so disappointing!” she laughed. “I thought our prim and proper Miss Helen was going off the rails at last!”

“If she wants to go off the rails, I’m sure she’s more than capable, but not I think with our residents.”

“Oh, from what she said, she’s got her eye on one of them, but she thinks he’s not interested in her. She thinks he’s avoiding her. Quite unhappy about it, she is.”

“You say she’s out with her boyfriend. Doesn’t he come into the mix?”

“Actually, I think this is a farewell date. I know he’s got a job in Germany somewhere – graduated just now. She was saying she couldn’t see them lasting as a couple, so better to end it amicably. Anyway, she’s never been as star-struck by Ged as she has by ... Now what was he called?”

“Harry?” I suggested, hoping fervently I was wrong.

“No, no. what was it? I know! David! I know because we ragged her about him. You must know him?”

“Oh yes, I know him well.”

“Perhaps they’ll get together?”

“Who knows?” I said affecting diffidence, while my spirits surged. “However, it doesn’t usually happen for residents to get involved with each other – causes discomfort if they break up and are stuck in the same house. You will make sure she gets that, won’t you?” I said, nodding at the letter in her hand.

On her assurance, I took my leave and with a spring in my step which had not been there when I had arrived, went back to my car and drove home. All the way I reprised the girl’s comments. Helen was star-struck on me? Ged the boyfriend was leaving and they were breaking up?

The trees looked greener, and flowers brighter and the sky – well, unfortunately grey, but even the grey looked friendlier!

I shrugged, Can’t have everything! I thought with a smile at my own romanticism.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.