PMP - One More Time Or, Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by Sam

“Get your asses moving I don’t want to be late; this guy is seeing us as a favour to Bobby, and if Sandy is accepted he might make her a star! So, move it, girls.”

Move it they did as each ran out of their rooms, stood in a line formation then saluted, saying: “Jawhol Herr Kapitan.” It would have been cute but there was no smile on anyone’s face, tension was there instead. Sandy looked the worst. At 13 she expected to again hear that she was too old to enter into this kind of training. She had heard similar remarks three times now and knew she was getting another chance only because of Sheila and Bobby.

Sandy had been first out of her room. Ellie, at 10 was next, followed by Sam (Samantha) at 9. All were silver-haired blonds, they all looked like miniature versions of Sheila, their older sister who was 17 which was not a bad thing.

I did not know that much about them, but Bobby was a good friend so I broke my own rules for him and Sheila, his SO. In some ways I was uncertain if I was doing anyone much of a favour. Right now I was on the cusp of making an important decision myself, one that would mean success or end up a dismal failure; something I well knew how to do.

I had told Bobby that most of Friday morning from 7:00 until 9:30 was free then from 4:15 until 5:30 but I would eat then too. The life of a trainer could be hectic. I did this for several reasons, not least of which was that heavenly sight of pretty, fit and talented girls bouncing up and down.

I never did nor would I ever do anything inappropriate with any of them. I said I was a trainer, that was a correct description on what I did. However, that might change. Nat (Nadia), Zin (Zinnia) and Mimi (Michelle) had approached me then arranged a meeting with their parents to discuss being their private trainer and if it worked out their coach.

Where they were now, was an Olympic sweat shop, I should say that’s the same kind of a place where I was too; but not for long. Things were changing and I guess one had to get on the band wagon and change with them. The decision was made fairly easy by one thing, three actually; Nat, Zin and Mimi’s parents wanted them to go to the next Olympics. It was to be held in Kiev, rather just south of the city and several folks thought it would be nice if the host country won some medals with their first Olympic teams.

It did not hurt that the parents were more than willing to put their money where their mouth was. That the Ukraine had always been first under the USSR then then the Russian banner for so long forced the new government’s intro to Olympics to be a bit more creative in their efforts, they had to be. My contribution was to be the next five to eight years of my life to field a winning team in swimming. Nat, Zin and Mimi were never even considered for the Russian team for the upcoming Olympics in Rio; a fact that did not sit well with the Dads, they were not truly Russian the coach had told them.

The next day I quit my job and began my own journey. Zin’s family had a place outside San Diego which for all intents and purposes would become our home, school and practice site for the next few years. Zin was 10 soon to be 11, Nat and Mimi were twins; both 12 already. I had been told to spare no expense when I prepared my budgets, home schooling it would be for them, our work, travel and my compensation plans were immediately approved. While the Ukraine itself was new and under-funded, the girls parents were not. While the sponsorship fight between Nike and Adidas was still going on in Kiev, a few calls to the right people apparently made the ‘Calvin Klein for Kids’ fashions the new sponsor of our endeavor.

We had too much money for just three students so part of my job was to field a larger girl’s team. In some ways that changed many lives, some not always for the better. I should maybe say something before we get to far into this. There were many well-known trainers, coaches and facilities the girl’s dads could have chosen; yes they were men with money and power; and they had plenty of both and because of it ruled there, not so the government; so why did they select an unknown like me?

Easy answer, we were related, I had their trust and the expectation was that their girls would always be my first and only priority; we all were family in more than one way. It was not a question ‘if’ we would be selected to represent the Ukraine; that was now a given; rather would ‘we’ win medals. I had been entrusted with their most prized possessions, their children with only one thing in mind, to win medals. My three girls were the start of this, I had better than five years to get them ready and find more girls to field several additional teams.

I initially selected these events in which my girls would compete. Several would probably not result in a Gold, nor even a medal but Rome wasn’t built in a day either. My choices were: 50m Free, 100m Free, 4×100m Free Relay, 4×100m Medley Relay. The longer medley events like the 4 x 200m and 400 IM were there but no way, no how would those end up with a medal for us.

If I did get more girls, the 3 meter and 10 meter platform dives might be possible to try. Getting more girls however would not be as easy as it may sound for a newbie like me.

If my girls were older, bigger, stronger and had four or five years more training we might even finish them in the top ten. All three wanted to dive. Wanting something is a good thing. Being realistic is another good trait. I was a realist, or so I thought. I was to learn you should never, ever underestimate a woman who wants something badly. Yep I would learn that lesson.

By the time Rio was at hand, Russia invaded the Balkans with access to the sea, Odessa and the oil fields primarily. The idea of an Olympics in Kiev was now suspect. The UN moved to limit the harm that already had been done, some German Angels(CIA mostly) poured enough funding for the Ukraine Olympic Committee to continue.

That morning Bobby called to say Sheila was bringing Sandy to see me this morning. I guess my search for more students had begun. Ahh, more students also meant more instructors, didn’t it?

I had some time so put a couple of Ads on the internet and San Diego and LA papers.

‘That should do it’ I thought.

‘Wanted M/F for 40-60 hrs/wk as a competitive coach/aide. Prefer swimming and diving experience but most competitive athletic skills and talent acceptable. Daily activities for Strength, Endurance, Agility and Stamina training required as part of the training curriculum.

Must be knowledgeable with timing, world and national records in 8 women’s swimming events and be able to follow work out plan, diet and training details made by several professionals in this field.

Some travel, both domestic and International for 7-21 day periods is scheduled, some this year, most are for future years.

Room, board, expenses are included plus a salary up to $50,000 - $75,000 and benefits (Medical, Insurance Etc.) based on previous experience. This position is needed now and would require modification in 12-24 months.

Position is open due to a new need to perform long-term duties and employees need to travel.

Location Southern California, between LA and Baha. Our goal is the Olympics in Kiev in 5 years.

For appointment and pre-qualification call 000-000-0000.’

‘There that should at least generate a few candidates I thought. Now I was feeling better about possibly adding to my stable of young girls. Realistically, I knew one or two assistants closer to my age would be an ideal solution to insure job harmony.

When Sheila and her girls showed up, I knew instantly that something was happening as the place became silent as a tomb. When I saw them, all four of them I had to shake my head. I had heard about seeing double, especially after one too many, but I was not prepared to see four nearly identical visions. This had to be Sheila and her pint size runway models; at least two were pint-sized the other two looked nearly full grown.

After introductions, I took one look at long, lean Sandy, and I just knew we had our 400 meter swimmer. Was she perfect? Not by any means, but one look at her made you recognize she had a swimmers body. If she would work hard I saw her having more than a chance.

“Okay, Sandy. I’m not going to pay you much but everything you will need is paid-for, including your private schooling. You will need to live with the team near San Diego, travel with us and put up with me. Can you do that?”

“You mean you are going to train me? You want me?”

“I need a strong distance swimmer and just looking at you and your sister I don’t think I could find one better to train. You said you were 13 so by ‘Showtime’ I will make you the best you can be.”

Two little hands started pulling on me.

“What, don’t tell me there is a munchkin Olympics for swimmers, too.”

“No, Sir. We dive, and Sheila thinks we are pretty good.”

What do they say about looking a gift horse in the mouth, or something like that.

“Well, we do have like three very large houses to use, and as long as you promise not to eat too much and your parent won’t miss you for the next few years I guess you can be my divers. In our pools, the best we have is the 3 meter platform. We swim for Ukraine not the USA so keep that in mind.”

‘You know, Sheila, I’m going to owe you and Bobby big time now. If these girls stay not only are we going to the Olympics, but I think we will win some medals.”

I had doubled my team, now for some coaches and assistants.

After a run of 10 days over 2 weekends, only 6 of 90 applicants could even pass the phone screens.

There were several major areas which disqualified the callers; experience topped the list. Another failing seemed to be that what was the job and what was needed was not clearly understood.

‘If I knew what I needed I would not have placed such an open-ended ad’ I thought. ‘Might as well call these six.’

Of the contacts, the 60 year-old golfer, a college age computer geek and the group insurance salesman were thanked and discarded.

A college hockey player sounded great but could not travel except summer and between breaks.

The tennis girl was just that a star player, said the right things but was a 12-years-old with zero experience outside tennis.

The last one made me stand up and yell out ‘YES’. 7 years competitive swimming, 9 National medals won, previous national record holder in 3 events and 2 Olympic medals, both a silver. Man, I put my hands to my face and wanted to cry. I saw the note at the bottom that said, ‘Applicant has Special Needs’.

‘Hell’ I thought, there is probably nothing we could not work out.

I called, we talked, it was a she, sounded older but gave me her name, first her married name which I did not recognize then her maiden name. This was like the answer to my dream. She was a legend. I had Mom print out all the Internet details she could find on her, while I scheduled an appointment.

She started swimming at 6, was 13 when she set her first National record, 16 when she competed in the Olympics, then NADA since. There had to be a story.

We arranged to meet at a place outside LA, where I knew the owner and we could have some privacy.

I got there early, our meeting was for eleven-ish. About then a very attractive lady in a wheelchair was being pushed by an even more attractive girl or young woman to be PC. It did not take much to see her prosthetics. I spent 3 seconds on them the rest of my time on her face. She introduced herself and the other woman.

I guess I could only go with my gut reaction.

“You know, Misty, we are going to be doing a fair amount of traveling together. Have you and your sister gotten your Mom’s approval to be with a guy so much. I may run away with you both.”

I must have said at least something right since her face lit up like a Xmas tree. Then she started to cry. I went over, hugged her and kissed her cheek. “Now, please don’t cry, I’ll talk to your parents and promise to behave myself, OK?”

She kicked out her feet, pointing to them, I placed the folder, an inch thick about her accomplishments, got up and tapped gently on her head. “Can you start on Saturday? I’ll show you the pools we will mostly train at and we can complete the paperwork today or tomorrow. Will your sister be around, too?”

I got a scary look from Misty, but a hug, kiss and tears from her daughter. We spent a lot of time together that day. I should say they both talked and I listened. After about a hundred “thank you’s” and “are you sure’s”, Misty finally asked what the job details were and if I felt she/they could do them?

“Now I’ll only say this once, so listen close, girls. Your job is to make me the best swim coach I can be, and our girls winners at the Olympics. We have 59 months or so before Kiev, with the last months even harder work. Mel, I’m not going to pay you as much as I do Misty but if you both will stay with me through it all I’ll pay for you to go to College or give you $90,000 win or lose. Misty’s salary will be $70,000 a year, Mel’s $30,000 and no-strings attached. I may kick myself cause you both too damn attractive though.”

That got me two hits and a bunch of tears. ‘Women’ I thought.

It might have sounded a bit staid but I was serious, I could not have asked for better additions. Maybe a harem could be started, a small one.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.