The Picard Manoeuvre
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2017 by Tedbiker

Commander Whitfield with the Gamma Ten, transporting a half-dozen scientists from as many Earth centres of learning, beat Scott home by twelve hours. They were not aware of the tensions, or the attempted use of force. They didn’t realise the increased significance of the challenge they received on making transit. Their first indication of trouble was being met by an armed security detachment. We gave them a brief run-down on the events while they’d been en route, checked that they were who they said they were, and sent them off with default avatars to living quarters, suggesting that they get settled and start work on the matter transmitters in the morning. Commander Whitfield and his co-pilot, a quiet woman called Bess, already had quarters, and were anxious for details of what had happened. We showed them recordings.

Scott arrived, bringing Ambassador Sumimoto surprisingly, in the small hours of our morning. I was fast asleep – making love with Anya and Romy both tends to cause that – and Romy wouldn’t disturb me. How I love her.

In fact, Scott and the Ambassador slept in the following morning, and I sat in on the welcome meeting of our scientists.

Andromeda, in her default form, stood in front of them. “Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.” (there were two ladies in the group, a Russian and an Englishwoman.) “What you see is an Avatar, a material projection, of the sentient Artificial Intelligence which is myself. I have been administering this planet for approximately...” she paused and glanced at me, “two thousand of your years. For the last thousand, until I drew Hex Finch here, I was alone. I have what I sought – a living, growing planetary population – and more. Part of the colonisation agreement was my sharing of technology, and that is why you are here. I will provide each of you with a companion, an avatar, like the one you see here. The appearance of that avatar may be modified to suit your preferences. However, you will need to remember that whatever the appearance, you will be relating to Andromeda whatever you may choose to call your companion. I will – or a suitable avatar, will – be taking you through the mathematics necessary for you to not merely replicate the matter transmitter, but develop your understanding of cosmology. Are there any questions so far?”

One hand rose, the Chinese representative. He spoke in Mandarin. “I speak English adequately, but I understand that you can communicate with me in my native language?”

Indeed I can. It might be easiest if you are willing to wear a head-set or ear buds,” Andromeda responded in the same language, but went on in English, “Your colleague just asked if I can communicate in his native language. I currently have a comprehensive database of one hundred and twenty-three Earth languages, including Russian, Japanese, French, German, and two dialects of Chinese. Anyone who wishes may have a headset and hear my words in their own first language, and by using the microphone, respond in the same way.”

The Russian, a stunning blonde, said, “I am well accustomed to working in English, but perhaps it might help my comprehension to communicate in Russian.”

Andromeda nodded. “Very well. Anyone else?”

Two more hands. “Deutsch.”, “Nihongo.”

“Good. We can take a break and make a start, or, perhaps you would like to experience the technology? I have set up a demonstration unit on my southern continent. Because of the power requirements, it takes between twelve and twenty-four hours to charge the... accumulators... for a transmission, so as I can send only four of you at a time some of you would have to wait until tomorrow.”

“We can toss for it,” suggested the American.

“I am willing to believe my eyes. I have no wish to be dismantled into my constituent molecules and reassembled,” the Englishwoman said.

“I, also,” the Chinese added.

“I am willing,” the Japanese inserted, “but I see little point.”

“We should go,” Andromeda said, “we can get your demonstration in before lunch, and get you started on theory this afternoon.”

“Sounds like a plan,” the German’s English was excellent: actually so was that of the others. But, hey, I’d prefer to get my education in my own language. They all began to move towards the door.

“Do you wish to go with them?” Romy asked.

“I think not. We have other matters to consider. Like a diplomatic Note protesting an unprovoked assault on this planet.”

“We would be well to wait upon Ambassador Sumimoto before considering that. I have a better idea, involving a return to our quarters, Anya, you ... and me.”

Whatever anyone may have intimated in the past, I am not a fool. We returned to our quarters. Anya, at that point seven months pregnant with Ivan Konstantinovich had been forced to reduce her activities. Reluctantly, as she had in previous pregnancies, she had accepted that my security was no longer her primary role, and she was resting – naked as usual – in our bed. She is always amazed that I consider her at her most beautiful when pregnant; she can only see what she considers the grotesque bulge of her abdomen and swollen breasts. However, Romy and I leave her in no doubt of our true feelings. On that occasion, Romy went straight for Anya’s pussy; asleep, she was sprawled, spread wide, on her back. Romy, bent from the waist, was irresistible. She was, as always, wet, tight and receptive. Anya, her pregnancy enhancing an already active libido, came three or four times before I did, then cleaned Romy out while I kissed, licked, sucked and nibbled my way round her beloved body.

We were snuggled together in the aftermath, half asleep, when the call came from James Abercrombie’s office. A very necessary shower, and a ride rather than a walk, had us there in under half an hour.

“The political situation is confused,” the Ambassador opined. “Certainly the attack on Andromeda was not approved by the Federation Assembly, not that the Admiral bothered to get the approval. Your Note is certainly the appropriate route to take. I would recommend, however, that you deliver it to me, as the UP Federation representative, and I will present it to the Council. There will certainly be some pressure to reveal the secrets of your defences. I would strongly recommend they be resisted. Strenuously.”

“Oh, certainly,” I sighed. “We’d already agreed on that. So you’d be willing to face the Council for us?”

“I see it as my duty.”


We watched the Beta courier craft lift off and accelerate through the atmosphere. “I wonder...” I mused, as it shrank into nothing in the distance.

“There are a number of possibilities, knowing your race’s history,” Romy said. “Logically, they should accept the situation and ‘count their blessings’, as you might say. It makes no sense at all to push for access to a race which does not wish to communicate. However, your race is not known for logical thinking. We shall see. It is possible to destroy this planet, of course, despite my defences, but that would leave them empty-handed. Sadly, you even have a saying which fits - ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’.” She sighed.

I slipped an arm around her waist, and she turned to press against me, both of us, I suppose, seeking comfort in the embrace. “Let’s go and see how Anya is feeling,” I suggested.

“Yes, let’s. This pregnancy seems to be harder on her than the previous ones.”

We found Anya laid on our bed, obviously uncomfortable, and proceeded to massage her with lavender-scented oil for over half an hour, until she was compelled to go to the toilet. When she returned, she embraced me a little awkwardly. “Hex, darling, I’m sorry.”

“Why, love?”

“I can’t keep up with you. I get so tired, and have to keep going to the toilet. Little Ivan is giving me more trouble than any of his older siblings.”

“Beloved, you don’t have to apologise. You’re giving me a priceless gift. I should say, gifts. You need to take it easy; I know the doctor told you to slow down. You need to trust Romy and my security team to look after me.”

“I do, really. I just hate that I can’t be with you more.”

Romy spoke up then. “There’s no reason why Hex can’t do what he needs from here. We could set up an office here and you wouldn’t need to be apart from him while being comfortable.”

“Wonderful idea, Romy,” I applauded. “Let’s do it.”


The Delta lifted off to call on a round-robin of planets with recognised expertise in various areas of technology. One of them would be Electra, the undisputed leader in software technology. The trip would take some time. A Sigma arrived and disgorged another batch of scientists, widening the representation of racial groups here to study. Hopefully, they would co-operate rather than compete.

Scott returned a day or so after that, with a harried looking Ambassador Sumimoto, to a warm welcome. “Good to see you, Ambassador.”

“Thank you. I think matters are settled, but there are some formalities to observe...”

“Will they wait until tomorrow? You look as though a good night’s sleep wouldn’t go amiss.”

“Oh, certainly. If that’s alright with you, Governor?”

“Absolutely.”

“Scott knows the important news. For the rest ... you are right.” He turned to Romy. “Ma’am, if I might prevail upon you for the companion I had before?”

“Oh, yes, Ambassador.” The flickering to which I had eventually become accustomed produced an avatar who was the epitome of ‘geisha’. She clapped her hands and bowed deeply. He responded similarly, though without the clap, and they left together.

“After a long, hot soak and a massage, he will sleep and be much restored, I think,” Romy smiled. “The Japanese tradition is a remarkably sensible one.”

I turned to Scott, who was standing patiently. “Well, Scott? How are you doing?”

“Pretty well, sir ... Hex. If I can get a cup of decent tea, I’ll fill you in on at least the basics.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.